The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #6261
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
Something I found while working on an assignment in one of my classes.

That is a disaster and of course I had to show it to my instructor, who didn't notice the Comic Sans at first. She was looking at how bad the logo was. But she had a good laugh when she finally did.

But...that thing...why would they do that??? It's textbook "never ever, ever, ever do this" Graphic Design!

What is that logo even supposed to be?!
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #6262
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Something I found while working on an assignment in one of my classes.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/f780ab09...rw8miz_540.png
That is a disaster and of course I had to show it to my instructor, who didn't notice the Comic Sans at first. She was looking at how bad the logo was. But she had a good laugh when she finally did.

But...that thing...why would they do that??? It's textbook "never ever, ever, ever do this" Graphic Design!

What is that logo even supposed to be?!
The state of graphic design

Hilary Clinton's campaign logo is some of the laziest graphic design possible. I bet they paid millions for it as well.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #6263
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
At least it's legible .

My mom's chiropractor has a slideshow going in her lobby, where it's all inspirational quotes/health tips in Comic Sans. I'd like to say something to her about it, but I'm not sure how. Papyrus would be a better font, and it's still terrible to use in the environment she's trying to set up. I mean...Palatino, Nueva STD, do something thin and narrow if you're running a zen holistic health center! Comic sans just throws it off the mood.
__________________

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 09-09-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #6264
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
Courier new is my favorite font. Everything looks so sexy with it.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:13 PM   #6265
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,963
I like Franklin Gothic, personally
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #6266
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
Which are both very good fonts.

It just boggles my mind that anyone in this day making a company - and a a migration assistance company no less - would use Comic Sans in their logo.
You'd be a moron to use it in a professional manner.

Comic Sans only works for sh*tposting now because of the type of font that it is.

Oh and the website for the migration company is a treat too!
__________________

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 09-09-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #6267
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
Supposed to get bad storms tonight. So not cool.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:22 AM   #6268
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Supposed to get bad storms tonight. So not cool.
What's wrong with a little thunder and lightning? Frankly I find them sorta relaxing, so long as I don't have to go outside for any reason.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #6269
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost
 
ProactiveMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Which are both very good fonts.

It just boggles my mind that anyone in this day making a company - and a a migration assistance company no less - would use Comic Sans in their logo.
You'd be a moron to use it in a professional manner.

Comic Sans only works for sh*tposting now because of the type of font that it is.

Oh and the website for the migration company is a treat too!
I doubt a designer made that logo - it was probably someone at the company. I see a lot of this type of thing these days; software is easy to get so people try to do things themselves with mixed results.

I wouldn't expect too much from a company called "Migrate2oz" - if they are in fact reputable, they have obviously never consulted anyone who knows anything about branding. That name coupled with the website, makes them look shady as fudge.

As for Comic Sans: It was never intended to be used for branding or print; it's a system font designed for dialog boxes in some ancient piece of software. To be perfectly honest, I don't understand the hyperbolic vitriol leveled against it as it isn't the worst font ever made, but having said that, I wouldn't recommend using it for anything.
__________________
ProactiveMan!
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #6270
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan
 
DarkFell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: At the current moment, on your screen.
Posts: 2,008
Oh goody; the floor is open to discuss our opinions on word fonts. My turn.

I currently have an online class where we have to print our answers in bold and in Arial. In other words, I'm still trying to get use to making my answers for our assignments look like this.

I also knew of an college graphic arts professor that promised he would go apesh*t if anyone decided that the Wingdings font was considered art, and would attempt to submit ANY assignments in that particular font.

I also like the italic font.

Arial is okay, Verdana is acceptable, but there was a time when I became halfway annoyed with seeing the Times New Roman style font.
__________________
Quote:
“In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two are a law firm, and three or more are a congress.”

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #6271
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
What's wrong with a little thunder and lightning? Frankly I find them sorta relaxing, so long as I don't have to go outside for any reason.
I just hate thunderstorms because they make my head hurt. I don't mind the gentle kind, but when they get severe, I hate them.

As for fonts, I love Times New Roman.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:37 PM   #6272
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
So the air conditioning at work has been broken for a number of days now. No idea when it is actually expected to be fixed. On Wed. a company brought in a number of rented floor A/C unites to scatter across the place, but they have no impact on the room temperature and are really only good for hugging for few minutes to try to survive.

The first floor is hot as it is at 82°, which is bad anyhow when you're constantly moving around and doing junk.

The second floor where I spent my whole shift (most of it alone)...? Frigging 92°.



I don't even sweat much, despite being hot and drinking water the whole time, so it makes me worried about ending up sick from this heat. Have had it happen before with a previous job.





Fonts? Come on... nothing beats this one. lol http://www.dafont.com/turtles.font (If you don't already have it, why not? ) I have a number of cool ones I've gotten from that site over the years.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #6273
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
We actually had to pick some fonts from there at the start of my typography class last semester, and I've downloaded a few for fun. Mostly for speech/sound effect text that looks better than the ones the Adobe programs come with
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #6274
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
My gear grinder: That we still don't have the wheelchair for my dad. Social worker said she sent the order three times and they said they never received it. Then they called her and said they'd be calling us to tell us when they would deliver it. Still no wheelchair and he's coming home on Monday.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #6275
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Lately, the massive spiders that are invading my house. I get it, it's cold outside and you need warmth. Go look for it somewhere else!
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:17 PM   #6276
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Lately, the massive spiders that are invading my house. I get it, it's cold outside and you need warmth. Go look for it somewhere else!
Ugh, I hear ya there except with all sorts of gross little pests, not just one type of bugs! Every now and then I see them crawling around the place and it just makes my skin crawl.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #6277
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Ugh, I hear ya there except with all sorts of gross little pests, not just one type of bugs! Every now and then I see them crawling around the place and it just makes my skin crawl.
Had a few Crane Flies too. Which are basically spiders with wings. Fortunately my cat is able to spot them and sometimes eat them.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:49 AM   #6278
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Lately, the massive spiders that are invading my house. I get it, it's cold outside and you need warmth. Go look for it somewhere else!
My house is pretty much filled with bugs too. More roaches and flies though.
Which are a greater "nope" for me.
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #6279
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Ah.. that reminds me. It won't be long until many of us in the U.S. east, esp around the Mid Atlantic region, once again witness the migration of the 'brown marmorated stink bugs' into our homes (and some work places) for the fall/winter. >.>
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #6280
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
Oh, I dread to think what that would be like in my place.

At my mom's house, my brother had a fright that an assassin bug had bitten him (it just jumped on him), and his fiancée had an anxiety shut down from it.

Which was resolved after I did some research and we started drinking.
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.