The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #621
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ectocooler View Post
Regarding the classic line and storage shell, if you notice in the video when he says storage shell and they show someone opening it, it's one of the new figures with the wraps on the hands. I think there was some misinformation in the video and the 10-11 inch may be the talking turtles from the new cartoon (like the talking movie ones). Just judging from the video in perspective with its surroundings, the classic turtles look to be 6 inch. Here's hoping!
I sure as hell hope so because he seems pretty happy about giving an adult collector figure some wacky action features!
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #622
ninjafowlkes8705
Thug
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 53
they look good man god they look good :
ninjafowlkes8705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #623
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
I think that the ''Classics'' line are going to end up being best kept MISB. I only say that because with that much articulation I can see these figures not being able to stand on their own very well. And while I like the Classics packaging, why in the blue hell did they put that stupid ''Retro'' art on it when it isn't retro. Ya' know, the same crap they slap all over T-shirts and anything ''Old school'' nowadays. Ugh.

Oh, and Splinter looks mega weird. Not a fan of that, I must say. Everything else looks good!
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #624
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Son of Ch'rell*** View Post
When exactly are they supposed to hit shelves?
Did anybody answer this? Can't find the answer, it ELUDES me! I'm guessing April-May?
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #625
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
I think that the ''Classics'' line are going to end up being best kept MISB. I only say that because with that much articulation I can see these figures not being able to stand on their own very well. And while I like the Classics packaging, why in the blue hell did they put that stupid ''Retro'' art on it when it isn't retro. Ya' know, the same crap they slap all over T-shirts and anything ''Old school'' nowadays. Ugh.
Right, I so don't want to be dissapointed with this line but I feel many of us who do custom figures can and have been doing a better job.
It would have been nice if they asked fans what they would have liked to see in this line or find someone to advise them on what's good and bad.
There's waaaay too much articulation for starters and if the figures are seriously 10 to 11 inches they are way to big standard 8 inch figures would have been fine.
Now scale is going to be all wacked but it's not like they ever really cared about that before.
Oh and yeah now my panties are in a bunch lol
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #626
Obbie
Thug
 
Obbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ohiya
Posts: 78
OMG! OMG! OMG! I'm officially subbing to this thread..... i go out for a few hours and look at what i missed!!!
Obbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #627
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
I'd love some movie style turtles done like that. DC Classics style TMNT line would be sweet. I just hope it doesn't die. You know one line of turtles. Then a line where they get stupid and fill it with April or something so people lose interest. Then we get teased with characters we want to see but they never see release because the 2nd line didn't sell well. Though if they're smart they will do only turtles and maybe 1 other character per line.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #628
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Anyone else think Splinter looks like a mutant llama?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #629
pihb
Hench Mutant
 
pihb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Anyone else think Splinter looks like a mutant llama?
more like a Badger
pihb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #630
plasticturtle
Foot Soldier
 
plasticturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 224
Sweet merciful crap. I'm going to be so poor in the coming months. These figs are beautiful. These are a Need.
plasticturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #631
funkyg773
Foot Soldier
 
funkyg773's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 171
Having not been on this forum when the 2006 line and 2008 re releases came out.

How does the overall consensus compare? Better? Worse?
__________________



Life Lacking of Anchovies,

Greg
funkyg773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #632
Ninja_Shoe_Repair
Hench Mutant
 
Ninja_Shoe_Repair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 291
I'm probably the only one to whine in this thread but I am disappointed in the classics line. With the hype that was built up from those that saw them early on, I really thought we were going to see something high quality and resembling closely what the season 1 1988 turtles looked like. They're definitely an improvement but the only way I'd buy them is either for collectible value or to customize them into proper looking 1988 figs. I really thought playmates would have stepped it up even higher.

With that said, I think the new TMNT lines looks promising. I'm not happy with the looks of the turtles and their counterparts but the accessories are amazing. I'm sure my child will easily get into this line based off that playset alone.

I really wish another company besides Playmates could get the license and really do something of true quality to the propery. Imagine if NECA could have done a TMNT classics line?
Ninja_Shoe_Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #633
Zachatello00
On the beat!
 
Zachatello00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hiding behind the phone booth
Posts: 2,132
Very nice, love the new Leo the best!
__________________
"You're still news!"
Zachatello00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #634
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by pihb View Post
Notice that all the turtles weapons that are in package seem to be a simple plastic accessory with no paint... Makes you wonder if they will really have another line with the higher quality paint job/weaopons
Yeah, that is a HUGE letdown. With them all just being a dull plastic color is crap. They looks amazing in those teaser pics. I hate those plastic string ''chucks''. Damn damn damn.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #635
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pihb View Post
more like a Badger
Lmao, I kinda thought the same thing. The white on his face might be a mustache though.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #636
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
One note, its odd Donnie doesn't have the gap in his teeth on the toy?
That's because the finished CGI Dony won't HAVE a gap in his tooth
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #637
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior
 
Konchadunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyg773 View Post
Having not been on this forum when the 2006 line and 2008 re releases came out.

How does the overall consensus compare? Better? Worse?
The rereleases were, with the exception of some minor details, the same figures as were released at the time of the OT. Of course they didn't cover nearly the entire line, but they did all of the figures likely to be most expensive to buy used.

This is a new take on the Classic series, and for the most part it might be the best ever (though still not quite ideal), but the size is just a huge issue. (No pun intended.) It almost seems like they're more intended as collector's items meant to be displayed prominently, but the many articulations give lie to that notion. With that range of motion, they seem meant to be played with, but what's really the point when they don't fit with your other figures? Playmates is saying that if the line is successful, they'll make more figures in the Classic line, compatible with the big turtles, but I could see it being unsuccessful because at its start, it will be incompatible with anything else. Also, even if it is successful and more figures get produced, I can't see vehicles and playsets being produced for it. They's just be too big.

Overall, though I would tolerate the angry expressions, I think the size is just too much of a turn-off. It makes things too inconvenient, and would probably be more expensive than figures produced in the "right" size.
__________________
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #638
1984TMNT
Stone Warrior
 
1984TMNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Anyone else think Splinter looks like a mutant llama?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pihb View Post
more like a Badger
Yes and double Yes. Hell, I think his face looks skunk-like as well. I don't get that design change - at all.
__________________
Try to rely on YOUR, Turtle Power!

1984TMNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #639
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Sweet. Where did you get your crystal ball? I want one.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #640
Nelson
Stone Warrior
 
Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Shoe_Repair View Post
I'm probably the only one to whine in this thread but I am disappointed in the classics line. With the hype that was built up from those that saw them early on, I really thought we were going to see something high quality and resembling closely what the season 1 1988 turtles looked like. They're definitely an improvement but the only way I'd buy them is either for collectible value or to customize them into proper looking 1988 figs. I really thought playmates would have stepped it up even higher.
You are not the only one and I agree with you (except for wishing NECA had the license)

See my previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
Finally, the day has come and we got the first glimpse of the classic figs.

I have been so pumped by this line, but after seeing the pics... I don't know. Maybe my expectations were ridiculously high and specific?

I don't want to be that guy that seems to complain with no reason, but the truth is that I'm a little underwhelmed.

I was hoping these would be based on the Fred Wolf cartoon, in a way the TMNT figures have never been before despite what their packages said. These are not it as they:

- Have angry expressions in their faces as if they came straight out of the comics. It's true that they grimaced in the opening credits, but that wasn't their default look, as MOST of the time they sported a smirk or a smile. And this not only applies to Mike. Raph in particular needed a cocky smile. He was NOT "the angry one" in the toon.
- Different skin turtles between the turtles. They all should have Raph's shade of green.
- Leo's katanas have a shape different from the ones seen in the TV show.
- The colors of the weapons' handles (this is a minor gripe to be honest)
- The straps on Leo and Don!
- The belt buckles are the wrong color and use the wrong font.

Now if the idea was to make a mish mash of the many incarnations of the Turtles, that's OK I guess, but wanted the other thing. Because when you have a "classics" line that take elements from different incarnations, you're left with figures that don't resemble any of those incarnations in particular, and it's his own thing. For some people that is OK, but personally, I've been waiting for years for exact replicas of those Fred Wolf characters... seems like I'll have to keep waiting.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
playmates toys


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.