The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2004, 11:33 AM   #61
Turtledude2k3
Banned
 
Turtledude2k3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada, BC
Posts: 783
I bought my dvd on the first day it came out and I am glad I got it. I have been waiting so long for a dvd version of the original tmnt to come out and now it does.

I will be getting the other seasons if they come out on dvd.
Turtledude2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:26 PM   #62
Peanut
Second Gear
 
Peanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The New World
Posts: 15,422
I bought it on the weekend and I've watched it 3 times now all the way through. The 5 eps and then the 4 bonus ones. I love it. It doesn't get much better.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 06:06 PM   #63
kitsunepixie
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hoosierland
Posts: 125
My copy just came in today from Amazon. Yay, I'm so glad to have it on DVD! My friend and I watched the first 3 episodes on it this evening during dinner, and although it's been about a decade for each of us since seeing them last, we were quoting them and saying, "Oh yeah, and then this is where..." at parts we remember freaked us out when we were little. Man, I was terrified of Krang when I was a kid! And those jokes...classic! Can't wait for next weekend to play the DVD at our end of the semester bash! Viva nostalgia!
__________________
"Are you for good, or for awesome?" - Strong Bad
"Do you deny me fresh-maker!?" - Happy Noodle Boy
Vote Leonardo for President 2004
kitsunepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:02 PM   #64
GK Punk
I'm your Devil
 
GK Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 12,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelangelo
I bought it on the weekend and I've watched it 3 times now all the way through. The 5 eps and then the 4 bonus ones. I love it. It doesn't get much better.
*nods*

Since I was practically homeless last week I was living with a friend of mine, and I made her watch it a few times too. It's so awesome to see the classic episodes in DVD Quality!! (And Damit, I still Like the neutrinos)
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:10 PM   #65
TMNT316
Mouser
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 14
I love my DVD too. The mini-series is as awesome as I remember it. As for the bonus episodes the only one I really like right away was "The Day the Earth Disappeared". Hey, I'm not goning to complain though, they are four more TMNT episodes.
TMNT316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:24 PM   #66
GK Punk
I'm your Devil
 
GK Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 12,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT316
I love my DVD too. The mini-series is as awesome as I remember it. As for the bonus episodes the only one I really like right away was "The Day the Earth Disappeared". Hey, I'm not goning to complain though, they are four more TMNT episodes.
Yeah that's how I felt about it. I'm not a huge fan of the later episodes, but atleast that's four more than I had. Even though that opening theme kills me.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:52 PM   #67
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!
 
ThirdMarioBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,905
Nothing lives up to the original theme. The new series should've just used something like it.
__________________
ThirdMarioBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:24 PM   #68
Nosferatu
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 283
Yes! I finally got my copy today. It was the only one left at my local Wal*Mart.

*does a happy dance*
Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 05:25 AM   #69
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!
 
ThirdMarioBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,905
I went to Blockbuster today, and noticed something. I looked at a copy of the "Epic Begins", scoffed at it, and put it down, but when I looked at the back I noticed something. That picture of Splinter fighting the Tentacle from the back of the DVD, is on the back of the Epic Begins box. My guess is that the DVD's art was originally meant to be more like the Epic Begins box, but was changed at the last minute, and they lazily left the back cover as is.
__________________
ThirdMarioBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 04:40 PM   #70
Deathknight
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: One of the 972 rooms of the technodrome
Posts: 1,995
Found another error. They use the 1989 credits at the end of Shredded and Splintered. I also noticed that Fred Wolf is in the voice cast in the 1987 credits, I wonder who's voice he did.
__________________
Shredder: "Ninja hall of fame? Ha! Where's MY statue?!"
-My Brother, the Bad Guy
Deathknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:31 PM   #71
cormano
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: williamsport, pa
Posts: 225
I love it. I really wish they would have just left off the season ten eps, though. The first four episodes of season two would have made a lot more sense. I would have been happy with just the first five, though.
cormano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 07:58 AM   #72
kitsunepixie
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hoosierland
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdMarioBro
I went to Blockbuster today, and noticed something. I looked at a copy of the "Epic Begins", scoffed at it, and put it down, but when I looked at the back I noticed something. That picture of Splinter fighting the Tentacle from the back of the DVD, is on the back of the Epic Begins box. My guess is that the DVD's art was originally meant to be more like the Epic Begins box, but was changed at the last minute, and they lazily left the back cover as is.
Man...they really should have just used the Epic Begins cover art. Maybe they couldn't because of some legal shiznit...I love the artwork from the VHS covers of the original series...that's how I got into the Turtles when I was a little kid, after seeing the tapes in a video store. I thought, "Wow, this looks pretty cool..." and I was a little disappointed that the actual animation art wasn't as good as the box art led one to believe. But what can you expect?
__________________
"Are you for good, or for awesome?" - Strong Bad
"Do you deny me fresh-maker!?" - Happy Noodle Boy
Vote Leonardo for President 2004
kitsunepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:11 AM   #73
Hyper Metal Sonic
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southeastern Louisiana
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taloniss
I just watched one of the season 10 episodes, and, it was pretty good! I may actually have to stop being lazy and watch the rest of my red sky episodes

EDIT: I thought Dregg's voice seemed familiar, so I looked it up, Turns out he was the Elder God in the Soul Reaver games. Cool
Also did Judge Claude Frodo in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame".
Hyper Metal Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 12:58 PM   #74
BrianReilly
Mouser
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8
Hi, I'm new.

I found the season set to be pretty rockin' myself. Brought back a lot of good memories. You can read my full review here.

On a side note, I rather like the season ten episodes. I'd seen them already as they did air on CBS Detroit unlike in some areas. The art in these episodes is actually pretty close to the new series.

As for which series I like better? The old. With the old one, it seems the writers/producers said "Okay, we obviously can't do this the same as the comic, so let's do our own thing" and it was really good.

With the new series, it was really serious like the comic at first, but then it suddenly jumped off into cartoon land with the Garbageman, and then universe hopping with the Triceratons.

The old series was always a little wacky and thrived on it. The new series seems to try to carry this serious tone, even when they're off on wacky adventures. Not that I hate the new one mind you. I watch it regularly.
__________________
Operation RGB DVD 2K4

BrianReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:37 PM   #75
MGMae
Thug
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 73
I just picked up my copy the other day and watched it last night.

Hooray and Huzzah for having the first five eps. And surprisingly enough there was some stuff in those five eps alone I don't think I've ever seen before.
Pure Joy. I can't wait for more to come out.

As for the "bonus" episodes...I have yet to muster the courage to watch them just yet.
I remember that season and I remember liking it - or at least the first couple of episodes. But those eps had my favorite VA and idol grouping up, Rob Paulsen! (Which explains why I probably can't remember past the first few eps of the last season - I must have stopped watching.)
Plus it would be somewhat helpful to know what had been going on for the rest of season 10 before we get plopped down for the final count. Not really pleased with the whole scheme of the "bonus" episodes.
On the other hand - TMNT on DVD! Yes please! Feel free to cane me if I complain anymore!
__________________


Mikey got game - Mikey got hops - Mikey be in the zone!
But eating raw subs is barbaric! We are not the Huns!
MGMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:29 AM   #76
J Legault
Mad Scientist
 
J Legault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: West Coast
Posts: 2,054
IT'S HERE! I waited 3 weeks and it arrived in the mail.

Anyway now I'm able to watch the old series anytime now. I only watched the Season 1, I'll watched the Season 10 episodes later today.

The episodes are in good quality. A few mistakes but the sound and music is like I'm watching it off of TV.

This series is where TMNT gain popularity back in the 80's & 90's. Course the show focuses more on comedy than action, since that's what all the action shows in the 80's. Death can't be mentioned in the show and sometimes they show some strange looking charaters.

Now I get to see Krang the brain everyone like. I guess he just bosses around Shredder and talk back to Shredder. I wouldn't compare him to the Utroms since now I know he's alittle unlike them.

I think there'll be a chance for Season 2 to come out. Just have to wait and see. Very interesting to watch something that took the world from storm.
__________________
I am a fan of TMNT and I'm still one today.
I got into the habbit back in 1992 or 93' when I was little. I would like to thank my 2 year older cousin for getting me in the habbit. 2001 was when I revised my knowledge on TMNT. And today I'm a bigger fan than I was years ago. I have all 3 TMNT Movies, current Toon, and old school Toon on DVD.
J Legault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:32 AM   #77
DarthRaphael
Moderator
 
DarthRaphael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC USA
Posts: 913
I picked up my copy as soon as I seen it at Wally World. I had to have this set. I only watched the first ep to see what the quality is like. It looks like the master tapes are showing signs of aging because the quality is not up to full DVD standards, but I'm glad I have this on DVD. Any news on plans for releasing any more old Eps??
__________________

I edit your posts
DarthRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:05 AM   #78
One Radical Dude
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Central/SW AR, USA
Posts: 495
Two words.....highly recommended!! I was impressed with the sound quality and the video. I also was satisfied that the first five episodes were NOT as the 70+-minute "The Epic Begins" crap. Huge plus!!! The biggest disappointment (which really isn't that big of a deal, though should be worked with on any future releases) was the TV Closed Captioning. On my TV, there were times when the CC didn't show up..or was delayed with a few typos. I only used CC here to see if it worked properly (occasionaly, I use CC for some programs). On the PC, the captioning seemed okay. Really, though, this is a very minor issue. I certainly hope Lions Gate Films/Artisan will release more episodes.

It's about time!!!!!!!!!
__________________
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:30 PM   #79
Hyper Metal Sonic
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southeastern Louisiana
Posts: 786
Well, I got the DVD today. (Along with the Samurai Jack Season 1 DVD, WOO!)

I just watched all the episodes, and now I'm on the bonus ones, when I found something to be extremely hilarious in "The Beginning of the End".

Near the beginning of the episode, April is at her computer when she says "The Internet really makes researching stories easier."

LOL. Being this is '96, and the Internet is just taking off, I found this to be really hilarious. Also, it's almost like a freaking commercial for the internet.

Edit: Also, I'd like to note that I really like the art design of the later "season 10" episodes. It's a little edgier than the older stuff, and just looks overall better.

Edit 2: Okay. The internet seems to make quite a few cameos in this episode. lol.

Edit 3: I love that they left the "Action!" CBS bumper in front of the new episodes. More great nostalgia.

...I'm still trying to put myself up to buying the 5 DVDs of the new series that I yet to buy...I just hope I can find them when I get to it.
Hyper Metal Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:31 PM   #80
Hamato_Saki
Thug
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 87
OK... dont know if this was mentioned elsewhere, but there are some packaging errors and episode # problems that make the continuity on this set tricky. I'm talking the "Never-Seen" episodes (Season 10). As I've never seen them, I was TOTALLY confused until I turned to www.tvtome.com for help. First off, they put "The Beginning of the End" before "The Return of Dregg". The episodes take place in reverse order, as "Return" ends with the giant monster Leo being captured and "Beginning" starts with Mega Monster Leo all caged and stuff.
Also, the insert card has "The Return of Dregg" as episode 188". In all actuality, "The Beginning of the End" is 186 and "The Beginning of the End" is 187 (the real episode 188 isn't even on this DVD). They got the #s right for "Mobster from Dimension X" and "The Day the Earth Disappeared".
And in the suggestions department: they wanted to include bonus eps. Why didn't they use all 5 parts of the "Red Sky" arc instead of using the first 2 and then 2 other Season 10 eps that have NOTHING to do with this storyline.
All that griping aside, excellent release. People are complaining about the video quality, but remember... this was 1980's TELEVISION animation... not quite what we're used to these days. Plus the storage of these episodes wasn't probably the best. I'm totally satisfied, though, with the quality.
Hamato_Saki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.