The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #81
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,789
Agreed. I can only see someone doing this in their early teen years (like 13-16) when kids want to grow up and cartoons are considered "immature" or something. But then when you hit 17-18+ you realize you never have to outgrow the things you love.

Basically its a middle school thing, since in middle school all the dumb little teens think they're adults. Middle school crap.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #82
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,098
i hear that

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Agreed. I can only see someone doing this in their early teen years (like 13-16) when kids want to grow up and cartoons are considered "immature" or something. But then when you hit 17-18+ you realize you never have to outgrow the things you love.

Basically its a middle school thing, since in middle school all the dumb little teens think they're adults. Middle school crap.
Chlorophyll more like borophyll
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:19 PM   #83
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior
 
Yabuturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliena View Post
I was just reading some other fans on another site who were all stating that they hide their fandom from their friends and family members. I get a feeling that many of the fans were in their teens and definitely did not want any of their fellow schoolmates finding out.

One person said he had been hiding his obsession for 8 years! He was only found out when his brother snooped and found his stash of artwork.

I don't get why TMNT out of all things gets the most ridicule. I had to hide my love for the Turtles when I was a kid and it took a long time before I told my husband I was obsessed with them. He accepted my love for them, but still thinks it's weird of me.

Now I just don't care. I let people tease and make fun of me for watching a "kids show". Those who are not fans just don't get it. It's hard to explain it to them. My mother, who looks for specific turtle items for me, asked me one day why I liked them so much. She just didn't understand.

I'm just curious as to how many people on here hide it from friends and family members, or did hide it and now no longer do.
I always find it strange that people have to be so rude and vocal about their disapproval of a certain show. Like if they walk up to you and say you're watching something "lame and kids stuff". I don't walk up to them and say, "You know, I never liked Star Trek Voyager and think it's totally lame." That would be rude I would say that I personally am not a fan of it but would never ridicule them because they like it. Why can't they just say "Oh ok that's cool that you like it. Although I personally am not a fan of it though." How hard is that?

I couldn't care less what they think of me. I like what I like. Their opinion won't change that.
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #84
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,290
Probably just dumb people who somehow believe their opinion in those matters is the ultimate truth; and probably the same people who think other people don't notice things. Like if you wore a bucket on your head, one of them is bound to inform you that you're wearing a bucket. So if they think something is lame, I guess you just gotta be informed that you're making a mistake liking something they don't. Bunch of wannabe social saviors.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:11 PM   #85
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Gotta say, as a guy, I can understand guys giving each other a hard time for liking stuff like TMNT, but girls I'd figure were more relaxed about such things.

I mean, as a guy, once you hit a certain age, if beer, cars, sports, and chicks aren't your entire agenda, you're a "p*ssy" or a "nerd" or whatever. Every kid who ever got picked on in high school for not playing Sportsball or being "too into" video games knows that.

But I'd figure girls would be a little easier on each other. I mean, I guess not, since soooo many of them are so catty and fake to begin with, but still, I'd figure they'd have other stuff to be passive-aggressive about rather than who still watches cartoons. I mean, tons of chicks watch stuff like "Gossip Girl" and "So You Think You Can Dance". Do they really have any authority to judge someone based on a cartoon show? I kinda don't think so.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #86
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,290
Well, depends some on the other person's priorities and what they think is worthy pursuits I suppose.

I haven't even mentioned it (renewed fan status) to my oldest friend (of almost 26 years). Anymore our conversations pretty much all focus on her talking about social related stuff and her vaguely desperate man hunting (Zzzzz)... Being single myself (but not the desperate sort), I'm not too sure how that would come across to be honest, if I appear like my interests don't seem focused on alleviating singlehood or other topics she understands being focused on. I don't think she'd judge too harshly and it's not like she doesn't have her own things (Hello Kitty for one), but feel she might still give me an odd look and pass it off as not deserving of much attention and think it's weird if I'm fine with mentally pouring my heart into fave characters as much as I might real people, as if there isn't room for both/all.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:15 AM   #87
shuriken
Second City Shinobi
 
shuriken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chi-town
Posts: 4,182
nah. most of my friends are nerds and those who aren't don't care. Anyone else's opinion is just that.
__________________
Some things are better left unsaid. This isn't one of them
shuriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.