The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #1101
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou 500 View Post
She's admiring his rippling mutant muscles ~ <3



Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. I was hoping Donnie would also have the gap in his front teeth and Raph would have the crack on his plastron, but it doesn't look like they included those details.

Edit: Actually, having looked at fridaynight's signature it does look as though Don's got the gap. Can't get a good enough look at Raph though.
Has anyone got a chance to see the toys, maybe they might have the crack. Or, maybe he'll get it during the final battle. Or, maybe they stuck the crack on the shell, and that why there is duct tape there.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #1102
sethmartin
Stone Warrior
 
sethmartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
By ILM I assume we're talking Industrial Light & Magic, yes?

Unfortunately the film industry also has an attitude against the visual effects branch of the industry as it is which is an incredible shame. People do a lot for the film industry but the respect for it is lacking by the rest.
THANK YOU!!!- Visual Effects Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
1. Splinter raised them their whole lives to protect the above world? What for?

2. Donatello can deflect machine gun bullets by spinning his bo-staff.

I've seen enough.
The fact that a giant mutated humanoid turtle who can talk and can fight with a bo-staff is perfectly logical but the fact that he can deflect machine gun bullets with it...completely unrealistic.

Last edited by Jester; 06-26-2014 at 06:57 PM. Reason: 2x Post
sethmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #1103
RedRocBoy
Foot Soldier
 
RedRocBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Saint Louis,M.O.
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmartin View Post
The fact that a giant mutated humanoid turtle who can talk and can fight with a bo-staff is perfectly logical but the fact that he can deflect machine gun bullets with it...completely unrealistic.
LOL!!!! Nice!
RedRocBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #1104
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmartin View Post
The fact that a giant mutated humanoid turtle who can talk and can fight with a bo-staff is perfectly logical but the fact that he can deflect machine gun bullets with it...completely unrealistic.
Relatively speaking one is more unrealistic than the other and as often said just because there are some unrealistic aspects to TMNT shouldn't be used as carte blanche that they can do anything.

Then again Don isn't really using a bo so much as a super powered pogo stick.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #1105
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Also, naughty language warning, but it looks like somebody didn't like my trailer summary. Aww.
I always laugh when someone uses gay slurs as an insult - cuz you just knoooow that they're obviously battling some deep-seated homoerotic leanings of their own. god bless the person who did that study on homosexual arousal in homophobes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan2000 View Post
Guys! The turtles have words written on their bandanas too!

Leo's says 忍 ("Nin" as in Ninja, which means patience) 子 (child)

Raph's says 大 (big) 兽 (beast)

Don's looks like a turtle symbol followed by 明 (bright)

I cannot recognize what's written on Mikey's
Woah, that's awesome - thanks for translating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Has anyone got a chance to see the toys, maybe they might have the crack. Or, maybe he'll get it during the final battle. Or, maybe they stuck the crack on the shell, and that why there is duct tape there.
We all want to see Raph's crack.

Hey, so has anyone else been wondering about the fact that the Turtles are more human-looking than ever before, yet Splinter still looks exactly like a regular rat, just bigger and with a topknot? Do you think they're going to try to explain this in the movie, like by saying that it's to do with the Turtles being mutated so young while Splinter was older when he mutated? Or is it going to be one of those things that's just never explained?
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #1106
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Hey, so has anyone else been wondering about the fact that the Turtles are more human-looking than ever before, yet Splinter still looks exactly like a regular rat, just bigger and with a topknot? Do you think they're going to try to explain this in the movie, like by saying that it's to do with the Turtles being mutated so young while Splinter was older when he mutated? Or is it going to be one of those things that's just never explained?
Good point. When he's laying in the rubble he looks like an actual almost dead rat.. People who are afraid of rats won't deal well with this. (OMG is this why there is no Casey?? LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
We all want to see Raph's crack.
o.O LOL Their shells are up high enough on their backs that I'm not quite sure it covers the tail end... why I figure they wear that bit around the waist, otherwise we have awkwardly bare assed turtle people. Egads.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #1107
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmartin View Post
The fact that a giant mutated humanoid turtle who can talk and can fight with a bo-staff is perfectly logical but the fact that he can deflect machine gun bullets with it...completely unrealistic.
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, there's a limit. Without at least *some* kind of basis in reality, it's hard for me to get invested in the material. Why get invested in anything that happens, when the characters can do absolutely anything the plot demands and/or some fantastical Deus Ex Machina can just tidy everything up before the credits roll?

I know it seems odd to some, but for me, a little verisimilitude goes a long way. I run into this sort of debate as a Superman fan allll the time. Like, I can handle a lot of things, but some stuff they had him do back in the 50s, for example, like basically being able to crack a planet in half, or see all the way across the universe, I call "bullsh*t" on. There's "super-powered" and then there's flat-out stupid. Like the ending of the first Superman movie, where he just spins the Earth backwards and "fixes" the fact that he didn't save Lois? That ending ruined an otherwise perfect movie, partly because he can't even do that, but secondly, it opens up a huge number of problems even if it did work (not the least of which being, didn't all those other people he saved the first time die, if he went back and saved Lois instead?). It was just a lazy, "We ran out of ideas" way to end the movie. It ONLY works if you absolutely don't care about any realism whatsoever, and, well, I do care.

I've never, ever bought into the, "What the hell, it's all fake anyway" argument. To me, that just means, "We can pull anything we want out of our ass and never have to justify or explain it, because hey, it's fake!" I think you get some leeway to get a little fantastic, but you should always keep one foot on the ground. Also, I feel some ideas work much better in cartoons than they do in live-action. Like Luthor's battle armor, to use another Superman example. I love it in the comics, but seeing him flying around in lime-green armor with a friggin' jet pack would look totally ridiculous in live action, at least without a really good build-up and explanation. Could it work? Potentially, but you can't just throw it out there and hope people are okay with it.

I'unno. I know these distinctions don't make sense to some people... I personally don't love how super-powered the Turtles appear to be in this, they look too much like every other super-hero in films now, and if "It's just a movie, screw physics" is how they get out of every tight situation, I know for a fact I won't be able to maintain my attention span. I'unno.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #1108
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Good point. When he's laying in the rubble he looks like an actual almost dead rat.. People who are afraid of rats won't deal well with this. (OMG is this why there is no Casey?? LOL)


o.O LOL Their shells are up high enough on their backs that I'm not quite sure it covers the tail end... why I figure they wear that bit around the waist, otherwise we have awkwardly bare assed turtle people. Egads.
Hang on, so now I have to think about Turtle nads and Turtle buttcheeks? If they're wearing clothes to cover Turtle heiney, I then have to ponder whether Raph's wearing anything under his loincloth, or if he's just free-balling.

This is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night!

Also Leo656, I'm the same - I can accept a fantastic world with fantastic creatures, but there still ought to be rules and limits within that fantastic world, otherwise it has a tendency to get a bit out of control. Also lack of limitations = lack of stakes and thereby lessens the dramatic tension for me. Deep down, you know that the Turtles won't get killed - but you still want to feel like there's a possibility of them being seriously hurt.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #1109
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan2000 View Post
Guys! The turtles have words written on their bandanas too!

Leo's says 忍 ("Nin" as in Ninja, which means patience) 子 (child)

Raph's says 大 (big) 兽 (beast)

Don's looks like a turtle symbol followed by 明 (bright)

I cannot recognize what's written on Mikey's
Ohhh, you know... they should totally sell collectable replica masks with these printed on them. I would so have me one. And good fabric and screen print, no cheap stuff.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Hang on, so now I have to think about Turtle nads and Turtle buttcheeks? If they're wearing clothes to cover Turtle heiney, I then have to ponder whether Raph's wearing anything under his loincloth, or if he's just free-balling.

This is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night!
Me too, now that you put it that way... haha *blush*
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #1110
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Also, on a semi-related note: does anyone know whether this trailer aired in front of Transformers 4?

I heard T4 is getting hammered by the critics - any word on how it's doing financially? Just curious; if T4 were a flop, I wonder whether the studios would pull the plug on potential Turtles sequels if this one only did modestly well at the box office.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #1111
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Also, on a semi-related note: does anyone know whether this trailer aired in front of Transformers 4?

I heard T4 is getting hammered by the critics - any word on how it's doing financially? Just curious; if T4 were a flop, I wonder whether the studios would pull the plug on potential Turtles sequels if this one only did modestly well at the box office.
Of course it is, All the critics hated all the Transformers movies. I don't really go by what critics say about certain movies.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #1112
NinjaPug
Foot Elite
 
NinjaPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
I heard T4 is getting hammered by the critics - any word on how it's doing financially? Just curious; if T4 were a flop, I wonder whether the studios would pull the plug on potential Turtles sequels if this one only did modestly well at the box office.

All of the Transformers movies got terrible reviews but they all made bank. Don't think this will flop at all based on the reviews.

A TMNT sequel has nothing to do with what T4 does. It's all about their box office and money from merchandising.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #1113
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
I doubt T4 will bomb. I've only seen a couple reviews online, but more than the reviews, I look at the comments, and they're all exactly the same: "Just shut your brain off, it's supposed to be stupid, just roll with it," etc. etc. Like Bry said elsewhere, these people know exactly who they're making these movies for, and those people love the sh*t out of those movies, despite the fact they've all been pretty wretched (except the first, which I argue is still pretty good, and COULD have been the set-up for a really great franchise, had they not immediately stopped caring about everything but cramming in more CGI). The fans of the movies KNOW they're awful, and to them, that's part of the "fun".

I think there's a line. I absolutely think you can have something fun, whimsical, action-packed, tell a great story, and not HAVE to "shut your brain off". Burton's Batman, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Spider-Man 1 and 2, and even the first Ninja Turtles movie - and that's a small number of movies just just in the comic book movie genre - were all terrific, for fans AND non-fans, and you didn't need to "shut your brain off" one bit to enjoy them.

I forget where I read it a while ago, but someone in a magazine or something I read said something to the effect of, "I find the idea I should have to 'shut my brain off' to enjoy something to be insulting." I mean, no, things don't need to all be "Heaven's Gate", and they shouldn't be. But I really hate that there's enough people in the "shut your brain off" camp that they're an entire market by themselves. I'd rather that movies be made for everyone, not just the easily amused. ((Shrug))

But yeah, T4 is already established so I doubt it'll bomb. TMNT might do worse if the word of mouth is bad, but as I've always said, as a movie franchise TMNT has never done great anyways. I wouldn't necessarily compare the success of T4 to TMNT's potential, there's a lot of variables involved.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #1114
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
All of the Transformers movies got terrible reviews but they all made bank. Don't think this will flop at all based on the reviews.

A TMNT sequel has nothing to do with what T4 does. It's all about their box office and money from merchandising.
Yeah, I was more just wondering about the potential ramifications if Bay proves to not be the box-office draw that he once was.

You're right though, it'll probs make money hand-over-fist like the other films.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #1115
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior
 
SwiftNinjaFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
IGN translated it and says it's something to the effect of "Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without."

Regarding Don deflecting machine gun fire, you only have to suspend your belief of him being able to deflect the RATE of fire since I'm fairly sure he's deflecting tranq darts, not bullets, in that scene.

I'm betting April revealing them to her boss is why she gets let go from the station.
__________________
Ninja Fox Games & Geekery: http://ninjafoxgames..com/

Last edited by SwiftNinjaFox; 06-26-2014 at 08:12 PM.
SwiftNinjaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:28 PM   #1116
Wildcat
Foot Elite
 
Wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,505
Just saw the new trailer. It made me even more excited than before.

From the looks of it Don's Bo Staff is made of metal so deflecting bullets isn't that ridiculous. Its at least plausible enough for the sake of the movie. No its not "turning your brain off". If you wanna argue that then just about every action scene in a movie ever is unrealistic. Anyone else watch Mythbusters?

I really like the Transformers movies. Critics are gonna be critical. I don't go into them thinking they're gonna be stupid. The 2 sequels weren't as good as the first but Im really looking forward to TF4. The new cast and Robots looks to have refreshed it a bit, which it needed.
__________________
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive, cause if you try, you can do anything.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:31 PM   #1117
Leolead
Stone Warrior
 
Leolead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cali
Posts: 909
What i miss? one thing i like about this movie, is Mikey doesn't you know seem kinda dumbish.. like he looks like he can actually be taken seriously! and his jokes actually seem funny! unlike another version of mikey
__________________
Leolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:48 AM   #1118
Slade
god status
 
Slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
For what it's worth (very little, I assure you), I wrote up a snarky play-by-play on my Tumblr. A lot of this was probably covered here already? But hey, it's on-topic, I'm sharing.

And again: it's snarky. So keep that in mind.
Ha. That was great.
__________________
Do not concern yourself with what I've already done: rather tremble at the thought of what I am about to do.
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48140
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:46 AM   #1119
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph_tha_Dude View Post
Ha. That was great.
Yeah, but now we're going to want Bry to do a play-by-play snark on the whole movie, and that would require the poor guy to sit through it. I don't think he's ready to sacrifice that much just for our amusement!
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:52 AM   #1120
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
This is gonna be the BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR. I'm so excited for my turtles!
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
live action films, trailer


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.