The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: City At War
Shinigami is awesome and a bad ass. 32 47.76%
Dark April incoming. 17 25.37%
Love the new villains lair. 4 5.97%
Super Shredder incoming. 14 20.90%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #101
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
This is actually a major problem I have with this episode.

Shredder has spent three whole seasons basically being invincible to the point of absolute absurdity, remember when he fought eight mutants at once without getting a scratch and only losing on a technicality? Turns out hitting a few pressure points will put him in a hospital bed for a few months...

Yeah, it just should have been so much more of an epic battle that led him to that state. I feel sorta cheated. Now Shredder's final showdown will be as some cheesy playmates mutant.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #102
Electric
Epic Hiatus
 
Electric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,484
While it had flaws, my favorite episode of season 4 so far. Karais back to normal (though I wish they'd cure her mutation), Shinigami has an awesome design and personality, April as a kunoichi is great, and the episode felt even paced and like it progressed unlike the space arc
__________________
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #103
NinjaPug
Foot Elite
 
NinjaPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteso586 View Post
Apparently, the guys at IGN didn't give this episode a review yet.
Max Nicholson no longer works for IGN
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #104
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Max Nicholson no longer works for IGN
Really? What happened?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #105
NinjaPug
Foot Elite
 
NinjaPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Really? What happened?
He took on a full time role with CBS
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #106
Casey
Stone Warrior
 
Casey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Man, I really missed the show. It was gone too long.

But yeah, a lot of what Powder said. Mainly, why even call it City at War? It wasn't an offensive halfass adaption like the 4kids version, but it was just a waste of the namesake.

Shinigami was very cool. She looks like a Sophie Campbell drawing, and Yeo is a great VA for her.

Also very confused by Shredder's condition... I thought Splinter just nailed him in a couple of pressure points and pieced him up. Did we miss an episode?

Last gripe... Xever needs to go. He's making Dos Equis guy jokes and perving on April. The writers just need to sweep him under the rug if it's come to this.

Glad the show is back, let's hope it runs straight into season 5.

EDIT: Yeah Powder, that new foot hideout is a reference to another show/movie. But I'm currently blanking on it.
I don't even need to speak because you literally said exactly everything I was going to say pretty much verbatim. Weird.
__________________
GOONGALA!
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #107
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,804
I wonder if anyone is going to take over reviewing the episodes then as Max has left.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #108
srmff
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 189
I'm actually really glad that it was named 'City at War.' It allows us to know what is going to happen in the following episodes. While with the 2003 series it could only be so long due to it being City at War part 1 etc. We know that the Nick series only does two part episodes so everything would have been crammed together and felt very rushed.

I really enjoyed this episode and I was entertained throughout. I like the addition of Shinigami. She provides a bit of stability for Karai at the moment anyway. As for people complaining about Shinigami's Gothic appearance. She's friends with Karai... Birds of a feather flock together.
srmff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #109
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,160
The TMNT Fansite has a review of the episode.
http://tinyurl.com/hwyl8cg
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:40 PM   #110
evan2000
Stone Warrior
 
evan2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 858
Am I the only one who noticed the Simpsons reference? "Why you little" and "¡Ay, caramba!"
__________________
evan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #111
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,777
I just really love how this episode has Shredder with all 6 of his henchmutants.

Tiger Claw and Rahzar/Fishface are still there, but now also Bebop/Rocksteady and Baxter Stockman. Funny thing is all these characters worked for Shredder in past continuities too aside from new characters like Tiger Claw and Fishface.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #112
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Awesome episode, though what was the point of Casey Jones' cameo in the beginning? Like he was just there for April's initiation but then didn't stick around. That felt kinda weird. Maybe if someone said he had hockey practice that night so he couldn't stick around. Other than that, loved it!
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #113
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan2000 View Post
Am I the only one who noticed the Simpsons reference? "Why you little" and "¡Ay, caramba!"
I think the killer dolphins (from Bradfords cartoon) was a reference to the Simpsons Halloween episode.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #114
victory_angel
Foot Elite
 
victory_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Yeah, it just should have been so much more of an epic battle that led him to that state. I feel sorta cheated. Now Shredder's final showdown will be as some cheesy playmates mutant.
I had pointed this out posts ago, but pressure points can do a lot of damage. The ones we've seen Splinter use mostly are the ones that disable temporarily.

And depending where the point is struck and the force behind it, it can cause permanent damage such as breaking bones or paralysis.

The only one that would be questionable is Dim Mak or the 'Death Touch' since that is more fictional.
__________________
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #115
ranger_scout
Foot Elite
 
ranger_scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,735
I thought that April really kicked major butt when attacked Tiger Claw with that Dragon move. Karai has been through a lot, but she really should give her father a chance. She's just always been a lost soul.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #116
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Actually it is quite real. I've watched some videos on it using those dummys that imitate how a body is affected by trauma, and it basically spider-fractures the sternum into the lungs causing a slow death from internal damage and bleeding. Nasty move which is why it is seldom taught and is illegal to use in most places and forbidden by most schools. Not a myth it is just very misunderstood.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #117
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I don't even need to speak because you literally said exactly everything I was going to say pretty much verbatim. Weird.
I read your diary last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
I had pointed this out posts ago, but pressure points can do a lot of damage. The ones we've seen Splinter use mostly are the ones that disable temporarily.

And depending where the point is struck and the force behind it, it can cause permanent damage such as breaking bones or paralysis.

The only one that would be questionable is Dim Mak or the 'Death Touch' since that is more fictional.
Yeah, I'll take it. But it still wasn't as cool as Shredder's final fight as a human should have been. And it still does not explain the bandages.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #118
Mona_Lisa
Stone Warrior
 
Mona_Lisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
I can understand were Powder was coming from, it seemed like the wrong title for this episode but it does looks like it's the start of the City At War arc, with episodes coming up like Broken Foot and Mutant Gangland. Also with things said in this episode that gangs and the super villains moving in on Shredders turf and Leo saying things will get worse and Karia said she's going to claim this city as well.
I loved this episode (my kids did too)! But I can see how someone who wanted a real "City At War" arc would be angry. Kind of like me and the whole Dark Raph thing! I pretty much knew not to expect anything and started watching the episode open mindedly...
Anyway, strangely enough before I watched this ep. my girls re-watched the episode with the "Aions?".... And at the end of the episode it said anyone could be corrupted by power and ended with Aprils picture....
Now we see the beginnings of dark April, pretty cool.
I'm so happy Karri is back, Its just good to have the turtles back in NYC! Can't wait for the next ep.
The only problem I had with this episode is what happened to Shredder anyway, and why would Baxter stockman help him? But maybe they will explain this in a later episode.
__________________
Mona_Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #119
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona_Lisa View Post
I loved this episode (my kids did too)! But I can see how someone who wanted a real "City At War" arc would be angry. Kind of like me and the whole Dark Raph thing! I pretty much knew not to expect anything and started watching the episode open mindedly...
Anyway, strangely enough before I watched this ep. my girls re-watched the episode with the "Aions?".... And at the end of the episode it said anyone could be corrupted by power and ended with Aprils picture....
Now we see the beginnings of dark April, pretty cool.
I'm so happy Karri is back, Its just good to have the turtles back in NYC! Can't wait for the next ep.
The only problem I had with this episode is what happened to Shredder anyway, and why would Baxter stockman help him? But maybe they will explain this in a later episode.
Regardless, I'm happy were getting new episodes, and most importantly, Mona Lisa will even appear in some since she's featured in the new opening intro.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #120
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I'm kinda bummed that this episode retroactively made Splinter vs Shredder in Earth's Last Stand kinda lame. It should have been more brutal and ended with him being further burned. I just really can't understand why he's all bandaged.
Splinter probably hit a lot of vital pressure points causing the state he's in...although yeah...the bandages on his face are strange.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.