The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #1421
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,812
It's good that the Turtles won't all have the same designs again, I wondered if they would do that.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #1422
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,812
I wonder if April might look like Elisa from Gargoyles:



She was half black (her father was Native American I recall), but as a kid watching the show I never really realized she was black because her skin was so light. I could see an April like this working.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #1423
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,491
Casting news is well and good, but I really, really want to see some character designs and get more information on how these "mystic ninja powers" work
ProphetofGanja is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:09 PM   #1424
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,041
Alright, a voice cast, we're moving forward here. Still, some character designs would be nice.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:10 PM   #1425
newfan
Mad Scientist
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a4/a7/36/a...ckey-mouse.jpg

I'll let you in on a little secret ...

Spoiler:
Ciro (and the rest of the 2k12 showrunners, for that matter) NEVER cared about the "true" fans of TMNT. If they did, they probably wouldn't have even created their show in the first place.

They were largely concerned with their own vision of the TMNT.
I think you might get mixed views on that spoiler given some of the fans on here who like this show have been long time TMNT fans.
newfan is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #1426
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I wonder if April might look like Elisa from Gargoyles:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/49...7644052c31.jpg

She was half black (her father was Native American I recall), but as a kid watching the show I never really realized she was black because her skin was so light. I could see an April like this working.
I thought she was latina, but I'm sure there was an episode that said her parents were native american. She was lighter skin but definitely didn't look white.

I hate when shows have ambiguous character and give them backgrounds of different conflicting nationalities and the only way to make sense of it is to give them parents from different nationalities.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Ciro (and the rest of the 2k12 showrunners, for that matter) NEVER cared about the "true" fans of TMNT. If they did, they probably wouldn't have even created their show in the first place.

They were largely concerned with their own vision of the TMNT
I never followed any 2k12 drama, is there any evidence besides the show obviously being a homage to the horror genre in designs and references in almost every episode?

I do get that feeling sometimes now that I'm marathoning the show, but they obviously care enough since they brought back some obscure things that I never thought an animated show would use like the Mighty Mutanimals, some one episode mutants from the OT, Lord Dregg and even 2k3 characters.

Last edited by sdp; 11-02-2017 at 01:18 PM.
sdp is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #1427
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,812
It depends what direction they want April to go in. She can be an ambiguous mixed race like Elisa or just a regular black girl.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #1428
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I wonder if April might look like Elisa from Gargoyles:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/49...7644052c31.jpg

She was half black (her father was Native American I recall), but as a kid watching the show I never really realized she was black because her skin was so light. I could see an April like this working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I thought she was latina, but I'm sure there was an episode that said her parents were native american. She was lighter skin but definitely didn't look white.

I hate when shows have ambiguous character and give them backgrounds of different conflicting nationalities and the only way to make sense of it is to give them parents from different nationalities.
Yeah her Dad Peter is a white Native American and her mum Diane is African American (her ancestors are from Nigeria)

Spoiler:
Peter



Diane



Beth (Elisa's Sister)



Derick/Talon (Elisa's Brother)




__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #1429
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,812
It's interesting the new articles didn't mention much of the mystic powers. I wonder if that's going to be a minor thing rather than the core of the show?

They did mention "new mutants," so I guess like the Nick series we better get used to a bunch of new mutant designs and characters.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #1430
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,188
One article mentioned the mystic powers being the other big change, so it looks like the opposite, it was linked here but don't remember which one it was. April being black was only mentioned in one of the articles I read, not the other so maybe they jumped the voice actress was black, the backlash from this would be even more fun than the current one.

Looks like I was wrong about Eliza, I always considered her one of the few awesome latino characters in fiction but I guess I was wrong. Why can't black/brown characters have just one background instead of incorporating every single nationality they can into them.
sdp is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #1431
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Yeah her Dad Peter is a white Native American and her mum Diane is African American (her ancestors are from Nigeria)

April's parents could be an Irish father and African american mother, that would explain her Irish last name.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #1432
Ulisa
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Various Fantasy Realms
Posts: 145
Elisa is a good example of it done well. Her father was Native American and her mother’s lineage was from Nigeria; they actually dive into the culture of both at least once and her two siblings look different than she does, with her brother looking more like her mother. I’d like to see them take an approach like that with April. It can be done well if there’s thought and planning behind it. I just want a character that’s written well and has an identity of her own. If that’s in place then everything else seems to work easier
Ulisa is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #1433
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,812
It's really odd no villain casting has been announced yet, like no Shredder even.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #1434
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's really odd no villain casting has been announced yet, like no Shredder even.
I bet they are saving that for when they do a panel at SDCC 2018

I'm curious to know who will voice Casey Jones, Shredder, Krang, Baxter Stockman, Bebop and Rocksteady, and other characters.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:44 PM   #1435
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,812
LOL, I wonder if we're going to see all the same villains again.

If Tiger Claw appears in this show Eric Bauza won't be voicing him since he's Splinter now.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #1436
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
Here are the quotes from each of the voice actors about the new TMNT series.
http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2017/1...f-teenage.html
Quote:
Voice Talent Quotes:

Kat Graham (April O’Neil):

“I’ve watched TMNT since I was a little girl. I’m so proud to be playing the first African-American April O’Neil. What an incredible honor for me and milestone for this iconic cartoon. I’m excited for all the adventures the Turtles and I will have!”

Omar Miller (Raphael):

“I used to sing the TMNT theme song daily on the bus on my way to elementary school and Raphael was my favorite Turtle. To get to voice this fictional character who had such a giant positive impact on my childhood is an honor. And to boot, I'm being directed by the man who voiced Raphael in my childhood.”

Ben Schwartz (Leonardo):

"I have loved TMNT ever since I was a kid. I still have the action figures and the enormous desire to eat an entire pizza in one sitting."

Josh Brener (Donatello):

“I've loved Donatello since I was old enough to love things. Even though his color was purple and he just had a stick, he was always my favorite Turtle...possibly because time is a flat circle and I somehow knew I'd one day be lucky enough to voice him. I didn't know I'd be so lucky as to do it alongside the coolest, funniest, all-around greatest non-turtle human people! Turtle Power!”

Brandon Mychal Smith (Michelangelo):

“Being granted the honor of voicing my childhood superhero and growing up watching the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series made this opportunity that much more of a true dream come true. There is cool and then there’s this-becoming Michelangelo, which for me is absolutely out of this world,spectacularly, magnificently, groovy, cool with a splash of oooooo yeahhh!”

Eric Bauza (Splinter):

“For the past few years I’ve had the honor of voicing Tiger Claw, an original character to the TMNT universe. Now, the honor continues as I get to voice Splinter, in the brand-new series Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I couldn’t be more thankful and proud to be a part of one of the most iconic shows in animation history!”
Kat Graham's quote confirms the new April being African american.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305

Last edited by TigerClaw; 11-02-2017 at 01:55 PM.
TigerClaw is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #1437
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,812
Looks like black April really is canon now. I wonder if Casey will still be white whenever he shows up.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:53 PM   #1438
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Here are the quotes from each of the voice actors about the new TMNT series.
http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2017/1...f-teenage.html

Kat Graham's quote confirms the new April being African american.
Cool, thanks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #1439
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,812
So the press release is still about "unlocking the mystical secrets of NYC" and, "a world underneath their lair they never knew existed."

Almost makes it sound like there's some underground magical place or something.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #1440
newfan
Mad Scientist
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So the press release is still about "unlocking the mystical secrets of NYC" and, "a world underneath their lair they never knew existed."

Almost makes it sound like there's some underground magical place or something.
Wasn't it something like 'mystical world'?
newfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.