The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #1501
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I thought Nick'12 Leo was one of the most interesting Leos ever. It was a refreshing twist to see him obsessed with both his training and his hobbies. Very different from the 100% "so serious" of the mid seasons of the 4Kids toon.
Agreed.

Leo isn't my favorite, not by a long shot, but...reading some of the things being written by people who say he's their favorite, I can't help but wonder if it's him they like, or his position of authority in the group.

For the most part I'm not seeing people talk about what they like about Leo, just that he must lead.
Why must he lead?
Is that all he really is? All that character is capable of?
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #1502
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior
 
drag0nfeathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 623
I still don't know how I feel about any of this... *rocks in corner* I don't like change...
__________________

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #1503
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,812
Everything the current Nick 2012 show did was a huge change and departure from before, the only reason it doesn't feel that way anymore is because we're used to it now.

Stuff like teenage April, the Kraang, the Turtles having different designs, Don's crush, Karai being Splinter's daughter but adopted by Shredder, all the mutants, etc...were all huge changes back in 2012 from what came before it. And most of it worked out fine.

Stuff only feels weird when it's new, after it isn't anymore, nobody bats an eye at it. You should have seen the backlash back in 2004 when 2k3 Shredder was revealed to be an Utrom. Now nobody cares.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #1504
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Everything the current Nick 2012 show did was a huge change and departure from before, the only reason it doesn't feel that way anymore is because we're used to it now.

Stuff like teenage April, the Kraang, the Turtles having different designs, Don's crush, Karai being Splinter's daughter but adopted by Shredder, all the mutants, etc...were all huge changes back in 2012 from what came before it. And most of it worked out fine.

Stuff only feels weird when it's new, after it isn't anymore, nobody bats an eye at it. You should have seen the backlash back in 2004 when 2k3 Shredder was revealed to be an Utrom. Now nobody cares.
Plus there's a generation that grew up on the 2k12 series, and that's the only version of TMNT that they know, come 2018, the next generation will grow up with this new version, and that one will become the norm to them, in the future people will talk about April being African American, and completely forget about past iterations of the character, 2018 will become the new standard, much like how 2k12 became the standard for this generation.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #1505
Leolead
Stone Warrior
 
Leolead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cali
Posts: 909
Man, Kat Graham is soo beautiful. I wish she was April instead of Megan Fox (Hello Mirage-inspired April). I'm onboard with this new April 100%. She sounds like Mirage April.

As for the other changes.. Raph being the leader is ****ing dumb & Leo being the rebel is fricking insane!
__________________
Leolead is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #1506
Leolead
Stone Warrior
 
Leolead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cali
Posts: 909
I just watchef the BTS video. I noticed Mikey doesn't sound like a surfer "bruh". Anymore. Welcome change for me. Leo & Raph sound great. Don? Not so much.
__________________
Leolead is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #1507
garsh
Foot Soldier
 
garsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Leo isn't my favorite, not by a long shot, but...reading some of the things being written by people who say he's their favorite, I can't help but wonder if it's him they like, or his position of authority in the group.

For the most part I'm not seeing people talk about what they like about Leo, just that he must lead.
Why must he lead?
Is that all he really is? All that character is capable of?
These are very interesting points you're raising for me as a lifelong Leo fan. When I was little, it was initially because he wore blue and had swords, and yeah, I think most kids are naturally attracted to leadership roles.

For me, the Nick show brought the most compelling personality to all of them. For the first time I finally really enjoyed Raph, and I probably relate most to Donnie, and Mikey has never been more lovable. As a result, I had to reevaluate my favoritism, not just for the Nick version, but for the property overall, since I was finding so much to like about all of them.

Ultimately I reaffirmed my choice of Leo, but from my new perspective it's almost entirely due to the fact that he's the least extreme of them all. He's not a super genius, or a hothead, or a goofball. He's the well rounded one. He's maybe the most "normal" and least gifted one. In a way that makes him a kind of underdog. Plus, the Nick Leo had his nerdy side, which was my new favorite thing about him. I love how he looked up to his fictional heroes and tried to live up to those ethical standards.

With today's news about Leo taking a backseat to Raph's leadership in "Rise", I'm suddenly very enthusiastic about what this show can bring. It'll force Leo to sort of establish more character that has nothing to do with just being the "ambassador" of the brothers.

Also the notion of Raph epitomizing the group appeals to me because of his red mask (since they originally all wore red), and his sai are a much more uniquely "ninja" weapon than swords.

These days I tend to find the burdens of leaderships in my fictions to be some of the least interesting aspects. Freeing up Leo from that drudgery is a huge breath of fresh air.
garsh is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #1508
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,812
As long as the Turtles don't look like these hideous monsters:



*shudders*

I'll be fine.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #1509
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist
 
Sabacooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,994
I hope they have the biggest nostrils yet in this version.
Sabacooza is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 08:32 PM   #1510
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm sure Leonardo will grow into the leader as the show progresses. Out of all the changes I'm surprised this is the one triggering people instead of African American April.
Well, lets put it this way. (Since I had plenty of time to think this all over at work.) What if they decided to switch Mikey and Donnie? They made Mikey so dumb for much of 2012, time to make amends by letting him be the smart one. And since we only need one of those, well Donnie will be dumbed down and in good part pointless and not really be Donnie anymore.

Now... the Mikey fans might approve of a smarter Mikey again, but going so far with it, I can't imagine Donnie's fans would appreciate the switch at all. (But hey! New and interesting, right?!)




As I was thinking at work... I'd like to know why Leo's job/role/position has often been believed that it should be open to be taken by anyone else. I've seen plenty of times where it has been suggested that others "should get to be the leader sometimes." Why... No one says this of anyone else's role. No one ever says that others should get to be the smart tech guy as if it is somehow unfair that they don't ever get to be. But somehow it's unfair that others don't get Leo's job?

Really, they all have a little of each other in themselves. Mikey may be the funny one, but they can all be pretty funny sometimes. Donnie may be the smart, sciencey, tech guy, but everyone has their moments of genius, esp Mikey, Raph has been a little bit of a gearhead himself in the past with his motorcycles, and Leo is quite bright himself but in other ways. Everyone has a bit of Raph in them at times... And Leo... any time he's out of commission or isn't present because the team split into pairs, and so on, others do get to step up and lead a little. But they don't just up and totally grab someone's else's role for themselves, and isn't who they themselves are...

So why is Leo's job often thought in the past as something that should be up for grabs by anyone else, and now this possible theft of it for an entire series. Sure, it keeps being suggested that it might be temporary, and that would be great, but it is only speculation and the fact that they've already deemed Raph as the big brother for some reason, Leo not even being able to keep that.... *sigh*


Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post

Leo isn't my favorite, not by a long shot, but...reading some of the things being written by people who say he's their favorite, I can't help but wonder if it's him they like, or his position of authority in the group.
No, it's absolutely him and how he is. I have spoken plenty in the past about why he is my fave. His leadership skills thing isn't really one of the traits of his that I relate to, only look up to, but there is a hell of a lot more that I do relate to and trying to turn him into what sounds like Raph, Leo's natural polar opposite, obviously isn't going to sit well with some. Younger, rebellious sibling isn't too suggestive of his dignified, cautious, upstanding, well mannered nature, and so on. It also sounds like they may want to make him rather cocky... much like that 2007 movie I'm not fond of for the same reason and likewise feel like it was a jab at him.

And now... if Raph is still going to behave like Raph while making Leo, well, Raph-like, then what, they're just rejecting Leo's type of personalty? Yeah. Thanks. I guess a personality type some relate to is deemed "wrong."



That all said. About that cast video... Just me or does it sound like they're trying to aim for somewhat PD Donnie-ish?


Honestly... if Leo's like that, what is it going to do with his relationship with Splinter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
If we're lucky maybe the article is a mess up and they got Leo and Raph switched by mistake.
That had crossed my mind earlier, but with them I think labeling Raph as the oldest now (why that is important god only knows), I'm doubting it.

Really, why does Raph have to be oldest too? Sticking him as leader could have at least created some good brother relationship turmoil from an older Leo, because who the hell wants their younger sibling telling them what to do? (Just feels like purposely trying to strip things away from Leo because the age thing feels odd and pointless.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-02-2017 at 08:47 PM.
IndigoErth is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #1511
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
As long as the Turtles don't look like these hideous monsters:

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/upload...NT-970x545.jpg

*shudders*

I'll be fine.
Well... keep an open mind anyway.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #1512
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
I've said it before, there's no reason why Don should be the only smart one. There's no reason why Raph is the only headstrong one. Or why Mike is the only Comic Relief.

Mirage, for all its faults, treated the characters far better than a lot of its offspring.

Mike got to be emotionally unstable after Shredder's return.
Raph and Casey fixed a truck together, hinting that both of them are at least marginally mechanically inclined.
In Dooney's "Challenges" Leo signs Raph up for the Barry Manilow Fanclub, and then we see him fall over laughing.

Nick got close to this during the first series, when we got to see Donnie get angry and frustrated. And Leo...we got to see the often stoic Leo have unbridled passion in something.

You can be good at something, or lean towards certain things, without being that thing and that thing only.

I think it's short-sighted to make Don good at all things Science.
My boss is a brilliant physicist, but routinely has problems turning his Out of Office assistant on before going on trips. Because he doesn't remember how.

I don't believe it would diminish Don at all to say, have Mikey be better at first aid than him. Or for Raph to maybe be better at plumbing or fixing cars.

Just like I don't think it'd deminish a well executed Leo for him to not be Defacto Leader.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #1513
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Leo is my least favourite, but I've always liked him as the leader. I'm curious how Raph being the leader is going to work; it doesn't bother me. Neither does the African American April. TMNT has many different iterations/realities, so it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
I hope they have the biggest nostrils yet in this version.
Because that would be accurate.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #1514
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,812
Both Nick and 2k3 Leo I liked and worked well as leaders.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #1515
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
They seem to be making a big thing about this series being a comedy. I do hope they handle Mikey with respect. He can make jokes, but don't make him dumb.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #1516
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
I just watchef the BTS video. I noticed Mikey doesn't sound like a surfer "bruh". Anymore. Welcome change for me. Leo & Raph sound great. Don? Not so much.
I don't know... I just watched that video and while that VO wasn't channeling his inner surfer dude, he was definitely accentuating Mikey as being zany and wacky and party guy. Doesn't seem too far removed from "more of the same."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
As long as the Turtles don't look like these hideous monsters:

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/upload...NT-970x545.jpg

*shudders*

I'll be fine.
That's the one thing we do know they will look like. Roughly. Probably most the accessories.
Andrew NDB is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #1517
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,812
I assume they meant maybe some of the bandana's, I doubt they have any intention of going that direction.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #1518
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,168
We got another Episode From Rob Paulsen's Twitter

Rob Paulsen‏Verified account @yakkopinky 20m20 minutes ago

A zillion COWABUNGA'S to my @Nickelodeon family for givin' me a shot at a new gig! TURTLE POWER, 2018!

__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #1519
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's the one thing we do know they will look like. Roughly. Probably most the accessories.
May as well.

Granted I've actually come to like that Leo. (Some of the film's other bad choices for him aside.) But that is a really bad image of him and, well, all of them.



If they're going to screw with this thing so much, then hell, I just want it full stupid and be Team Up or look like that fake Donnie design.
IndigoErth is offline  
Old 11-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #1520
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,812
LOL, I remember Rob Paulsen posted one of the Kavaxas episode titles on his twitter and Nick made him take it down.
CyberCubed is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.