The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 10-10-2023, 09:53 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

DC Rejected "Trans" Superboy Pitch

Connie Kent....formerly Connor Kent. This would have been the path Superboy would have gone down if a pitch by Kim & Kim co-creator Magdalene Visaggio had been successful. I expect Tim/Con twitter and tumblr to go crazy with the art on this now.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-p...oman-superman/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 11:38 AM   #2
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Thought this was gonna be at Jon. It's just a matter of time before they make a well known character transition genders. Already happened to some minor characters.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 11:52 AM   #3
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

Generally speaking, we are not ready for this yet. Give it another century. Maybe in 50 years we'll be more accepting of homosexual characters since that is still under the throat-shoving banner. Again, generally speaking.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:44 PM   #4
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROW View Post
Generally speaking, we are not ready for this yet. Give it another century. Maybe in 50 years we'll be more accepting of homosexual characters since that is still under the throat-shoving banner. Again, generally speaking.
No. Just make NEW characters. Don't turn established characters like Ice Man and Superboy into gay and trans characters. Leave the established characters and make new ones.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:52 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"It's pissing off the right people!" and so on.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:24 PM   #6
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
No. Just make NEW characters. Don't turn established characters like Ice Man and Superboy into gay and trans characters. Leave the established characters and make new ones.
Like Hulkling and Wiccan? Midnighter and Apollo? There are some fresh characters out there that are gay and trans, having existed for quite some time now, but still get bashed and rejected by the majority and labeled as made to further some form of agenda.

However, I do agree with you that established characters should not be altered to suddenly have a different lifestyle just to pander to a demographic.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:27 PM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Like Hulkling and Wiccan? Midnighter and Apollo? There are some fresh characters out there that are gay and trans, having existed for quite some time now, but still get bashed and rejected by the majority and labeled as made to further some form of agenda.

However, I do agree with you that established characters should not be altered to suddenly have a different lifestyle just to pander to a demographic.
That's up to the writers to make them into cool and compelling characters and not just.... buy the comic cause you're gay or else you're a bigot. Those characters are new so whatever can be done with them. Though I have to admit, teenage POC hip and cool Hulk was a stupid idea to begin with. We already got She-Hulk, Red Hulk and even Red She-Hulk. We don't need more Hulks, it makes the concept less and less unique and it makes Banner look like an idiot cause all of them can control it but him.

They just don't know how to write characters properly. I mean I know gay people that have actual hobbies, interests and goals. Their entire lives aren't just hopping on Grinder all day or getting ready for the next pride parade. They have to cut with the stupid stereotypes.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 10-10-2023 at 10:47 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 11:17 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I don't necessarily believe it's the case, but if the ONLY way they can make gay and trans characters work and to be even a little bit accepted in mainstream is to hijack/Trojan horse them in by co-opting existing hetero-normative characters (and riding the inevitable media circus that surrounds these things)... that says a lot about an audience they're trying to wish into existence that apparently doesn't exist. Also from a writer's standpoint, it's a really weak move.

Or to flip the topic, race-swapping in TV and movies. It doesn't strike anyone as not only an insult to the character they're swapping, but to the race they're swapping them with writ large? It's as if to say, "OK, [fill in the blank race] character won't succeed on their own merits, so they need to ride in on the back of [fill in the blank race, generally white] in order to make it." It's insulting, it's weak, and it's lazy pure and simple.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 11:31 PM   #9
Sumac
Banned

Into a garbage it goes and hopefully stays there forever with the likes of Snwflake and whatever SJW super trash Marvel was trying to do.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote