The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Star Trek: Lower Decks

Another 'Trek show is coming to CBS Access...an animated comedy called Lower Decks

https://www.tvguide.com/news/star-tr...bs-all-access/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Another 'Trek show is coming to CBS Access...an animated comedy called Lower Decks

https://www.tvguide.com/news/star-tr...bs-all-access/
Yeah... as a die-hard Trekkie, this does nothing for me. Don't give a damn.

What about you, Andrew? Same?
Old 10-25-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Yeah... as a die-hard Trekkie, this does nothing for me. Don't give a damn.

What about you, Andrew? Same?
Absolutely zero.

CBS: "We hear y'all want something like the Orville?"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Absolutely zero.

CBS: "We hear y'all want something like the Orville?"
No, we want either something post-Enterprise showing us the actual formation of the Federation and it's early years (like the Enterprise "Rise of the Federation" books) or some more post-TNG/DS9/VOY stuff in the 25th century.

It's not that hard.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
No, we want either something post-Enterprise showing us the actual formation of the Federation and it's early years (like the Enterprise "Rise of the Federation" books)
Yeah, I wouldn't trust ANY of the TPTB to deliver any prequel stuff that won't end up being maddening. No matter what armpit in the pre-TNG timeline they rut around in.

Quote:
or some more post-TNG/DS9/VOY stuff in the 25th century.

It's not that hard.
Not hard at all.

What do you make of this?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10...teaser-trailer

Discovery going 1,000 years in the future. Or something.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't trust ANY of the TPTB to deliver any prequel stuff that won't end up being maddening. No matter what armpit in the pre-TNG timeline they rut around in.

Not hard at all.

What do you make of this?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10...teaser-trailer

Discovery going 1,000 years in the future. Or something.
Oh, I agree... I don't think I'd trust The Powers That Be to pull it off. But spinning something out of Enterprise, say 10 or 25 years later, showing the early Federation... a lot of politics, the Romulan War fallout, cameo appearances from Archer, T'Pol, and Phlox... I'd watch the $hit outta that.

As for Calypso... if it's 1000 years in the future, one guy and one AI, then that's pretty fvcking generic. Hard to make it very "Trek", ya know what I mean? Looks almost JJ Abrams-esque in that trailer...

Highly, highly skeptical.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Oh, I agree... I don't think I'd trust The Powers That Be to pull it off. But spinning something out of Enterprise, say 10 or 25 years later, showing the early Federation... a lot of politics, the Romulan War fallout, cameo appearances from Archer, T'Pol, and Phlox... I'd watch the $hit outta that.
As long as they stick with the general aesthetic of Enterprise, sure. Not "edgy Trek." I always wanted to see the Romulan War. I always figured that'd be the final slam dunk of the show.

Quote:
As for Calypso... if it's 1000 years in the future, one guy and one AI, then that's pretty fvcking generic. Hard to make it very "Trek", ya know what I mean? Looks almost JJ Abrams-esque in that trailer...

Highly, highly skeptical.
True.

I guess I'm disappointed I'm not more excited about the Picard show. I mean, I am, but it just seems like such a half measure. A new show 20 years after TNG with a new crew, new direction would seem like a genuine effort to make something new for a new generation (plus they could still have appearances from TNG alumni). Now, a show revolving around an 80 year-old Picard? It seems like such a thing isn't trying to reel in a new generation of fans, it seems like it is pretty clearly only being made to placate the existing fandom who have been pretty battered by years of Abramsverse and STD.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
As long as they stick with the general aesthetic of Enterprise, sure. Not "edgy Trek." I always wanted to see the Romulan War. I always figured that'd be the final slam dunk of the show.

True.

I guess I'm disappointed I'm not more excited about the Picard show. I mean, I am, but it just seems like such a half measure. A new show 20 years after TNG with a new crew, new direction would seem like a genuine effort to make something new for a new generation (plus they could still have appearances from TNG alumni). Now, a show revolving around an 80 year-old Picard? It seems like such a thing isn't trying to reel in a new generation of fans, it seems like it is pretty clearly only being made to placate the existing fandom who have been pretty battered by years of Abramsverse and STD.
Enterprise would have gotten to the Romulan War if the show had lasted long enough. They were laying some major groundwork for it in the latter episodes of Season 4. The novels did some stuff, but man... they actually sucked pretty hard, compared to the "Rise of the Federation" novels.

And yeah, "Old Man Picard" is definitely a calculated gesture to placate people. For some reason, CBS thinks we all want a prequel show with different Klingons, a very out-of-character Federation and Starfleet, and Spock's never-before-heard-of sister, but they won't roll the dice and do a 25th century show? A whole new playing field with plenty of callbacks and references available? WTF, CBS?
Old 10-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Enterprise would have gotten to the Romulan War if the show had lasted long enough. They were laying some major groundwork for it in the latter episodes of Season 4.
I never understood why Star Trek never jumped aboard the direct-to-video movie train when everyone else did. Companion movies to DS9 and Enterprise seemed like no-brainers.

Technically they could even do some now. Throw them on their FAKE Netflix CBS thing.

Quote:
And yeah, "Old Man Picard" is definitely a calculated gesture to placate people. For some reason, CBS thinks we all want a prequel show with different Klingons, a very out-of-character Federation and Starfleet, and Spock's never-before-heard-of sister,
It seems pretty clear at some point that when Rick Berman was ousted and Abrams became involved it was decided that anything Star Trek that doesn't have some big link to either, A) Kirk'n Spock, B) The original Enterprise, or C) Kirk'n Spock's direct era, only serves to dilute the brand.

Quote:
but they won't roll the dice and do a 25th century show? A whole new playing field with plenty of callbacks and references available? WTF, CBS?
For a moment, I admit, near the end of Discovery's first season I had a flicker of hope. Remember the moment in the season finale when they were about to return to the regular universe and the crew was like, "We're not sure 'when' we'll end up when we get there... it could be 20 years from now, or 300!"

I was like, "Ohhhh sh*t! The USS Discovery is about to end up in the 25th or 26th century, and then that's going to be the show next season! With them adjusting to life in the new century, and us easing into it with them, too! That's kind of brilliant!"

And it all ends up nope, it's only like 6 months later or whatever. And there's the USS Enterprise instead with Spock. F*** this show.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I never understood why Star Trek never jumped aboard the direct-to-video movie train when everyone else did. Companion movies to DS9 and Enterprise seemed like no-brainers.

Technically they could even do some now. Throw them on their FAKE Netflix CBS thing.

It seems pretty clear at some point that when Rick Berman was ousted and Abrams became involved it was decided that anything Star Trek that doesn't have some big link to either, A) Kirk'n Spock, B) The original Enterprise, or C) Kirk'n Spock's direct era, only serves to dilute the brand.

For a moment, I admit, near the end of Discovery's first season I had a flicker of hope. Remember the moment in the season finale when they were about to return to the regular universe and the crew was like, "We're not sure 'when' we'll end up when we get there... it could be 20 years from now, or 300!"

I was like, "Ohhhh sh*t! The USS Discovery is about to end up in the 25th or 26th century, and then that's going to be the show next season! With them adjusting to life in the new century, and us easing into it with them, too! That's kind of brilliant!"

And it all ends up nope, it's only like 6 months later or whatever. And there's the USS Enterprise instead with Spock. F*** this show.
I dunno, direct-to-video movies carry an undeniable stench of "we're not good enough for the big screen."

And Rick Berman was never as bad as a lot of people made him out to be. He preferred episodic crap (thank God Ronald D. Moore ran DS9), but at least it was real Star Trek.

And really, I don't know that I would have loved the Discovery jumping a century or two ahead. People who try to have their cake (prequel) and eat it too (sequel) at the same time just usually piss me off.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I dunno, direct-to-video movies carry an undeniable stench of "we're not good enough for the big screen."
But if they were never going to get big screen movies anyway (surely, no one was ever expecting DS9: the movie?), what's the harm?

Quote:
And Rick Berman was never as bad as a lot of people made him out to be. He preferred episodic crap (thank God Ronald D. Moore ran DS9), but at least it was real Star Trek.
He was Roddenberry's hand-picked successor. He should have still been involved with what followed even if his actual power was reduced.

Quote:
And really, I don't know that I would have loved the Discovery jumping a century or two ahead. People who try to have their cake (prequel) and eat it too (sequel) at the same time just usually piss me off.
I think it would have made the most out of a BAD situation. It would even explain the Spore Drive. Why didn't Kirk or Picard have Spore Drive on their shows? Because Discovery took the only one of it to the 25th or 26th century and it was never seen again until then. BAM! Solved. As-is they'll have to concoct some half-cocked bandaid in season 2 or 3 like, "We signed the Anti-Spore Drive Agreement, we'll never use it again because it's tearing apart the universe!" Never mind that captains in emergency situations would almost certainly opt to utilize it.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 10-25-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
But if they were never going to get big screen movies anyway (surely, no one was ever expecting DS9: the movie?), what's the harm?
That's a fair point. I think both DS9 and Voyager deserved movies... DS9 because it was so damn good, and Voyager because their return home really needed more than just 30 seconds of popping out of a transwarp conduit and "oh hey, guys!"

And obviously Enterprise; they didn't even get to finish the overall story.

Quote:
He was Roddenberry's hand-picked successor. He should have still been involved with what followed even if his actual power reduced.
Absolutely.

Quote:
I think it would have made the most out of a BAD situation. It would even explain the Spore Drive. Why didn't Kirk or Picard have Spore Drive on their shows? Because Discovery took the only one of it to the 25th or 26th century. BAM! Solved.
That's a really good idea, actually, for resolving the plot hole of the spore drive. And it's not like they'd be the first crew to timehop... Morgan Bateson and the USS Bozeman did it first.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Voyager because their return home really needed more than just 30 seconds of popping out of a transwarp conduit and "oh hey, guys!"
As much as I dug the Borg Queen showdown and movie-like climax... that ending was pretty infuriating. After all these seasons of rumors about, "Ratings are in trouble! They're going to bring them home early and we'll see them adapt to regular Starfleet life and/or help in the Dominion War!" and then approaching season 7, "They're going to make it home halfway into 7!" it ends up being the last 5 seconds of the last episode.

The Borg queen showdown/shooting out of the transwarp conduit sequence should have been the cliffhanger for a proper 2 episode series finale.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
As much as I dug the Borg Queen showdown and movie-like climax... that ending was pretty infuriating. After all these seasons of rumors about, "Ratings are in trouble! They're going to bring them home early and we'll see them adapt to regular Starfleet life and/or help in the Dominion War!" and then approaching season 7, "They're going to make it home halfway into 7!" it ends up being the last 5 seconds of the last episode.

The Borg queen showdown/shooting out of the transwarp conduit sequence should have been the cliffhanger for a proper 2 episode series finale.
Damn straight.

Also, back to the original topic... Rick & Morty style humor in a Star Trek cartoon makes my stomach hurt. Ugh. That's further dilution and bastardization of the brand.

When Star Trek did the Animated Series after the Original Series, they didn't make it silly or funny or cartoony; they told the same damn stories as live-action, and it was great. Furthered the canon, did things 60's television and SFX couldn't handle.

But no, sure, let's see First Officer Morty fart out a vampire cloud that kills Captain Kirk's pet dog or some crap. Yay.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #15
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Eh, I'd rather see something like Ashley Victoria Robinson's The Red Shirts Diaries done in a official capacity
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #16
ZariusTwo
Overlord

There will be a second animated series produced in addition to Lower Decks

https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/08/bre...ing-this-year/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
There will be a second animated series produced in addition to Lower Decks

https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/08/bre...ing-this-year/
Ten characters' worth of sigh.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:45 PM   #19
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
First trailer

So like Rick & Morty or Solar Opposites but with the facade of Star Trek. This is pretty much exactly what I expected. I think I'll enjoy this more than STD or Picard but it's kind of weird to see them ignore the core of what Star Trek is again, but in a completely different way. I enjoy Rick & Morty as well as Solar Opposites, but I'm not sure the (for example) "screaming sun" joke would work if I saw it in Star Trek. It would just be weird.

Anyway, "second contact"? I'm assuming that means these guys either show up to negotiate entry into the Federation after the first contact?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #20
Sumac
Banned

Oh, once again, ****** "oval head" modern cartoon style.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote