The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #61
The Shelf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
I will admit that personally, I am a bit saddened by the amount of cohabitation vs. actual marriage I am seeing in my age group (I'm in my early twenties BTW). I persoanlly have no interest in marrage at this point, got to much on my plate with being in college and work and paying rent and all that stuff, which is probably the mind set of many other my age as well. Its just that I've noticed alot of girls get into trouble in these situations. Alot of people I know when ever they have a boyfriend they move right in with each other, and end up with having kids and then not staying together. Then there are situatuions when some one has more than one child by diffrent partners and they are not together and they have to keep tract of parent of that child. I have a friend who has three children, each by diffrent fathers and she lived with all of them for many years before they broke it off...and now she gets alot of hassle from her other babies fathers. Now I'm not saying that this sort of situatuation couldn't happen with having more than one kid with diffrent fathers, when you don't cohabitate and are just in a realtionship and live in your own places; but from I have seen personally this sort of, more than one child by diffrent fathers (or mothers), is more common in coulples that cohabitated rather than those that didn't.

Now I'm not say that this a statistc truth or any thing. Its what I have persoanlly seen in the area that i live in. I want to stress that. So I hope I don't get flamed by making this observation.
Bingo, this is part of what I was trying to get across. I've seen it happen too, the most recent case being my cousin. It's already begun causing him problems, and I'm sure it will cause him problems for a very long time. I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a statistic truth, but I'm certain this sort of thing happens to a lot of people. It may not happen to most, but it at least happens to a significant number.

In any case, I wish people didn't have to fear getting flamed just for talking about something.
The Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:36 AM   #62
odupianist
Mad Scientist

Quote:
They might be living together ("co-habiting", as you put it) but it doesn't mean they're having sex for breakfast, sex for lunch, sex for dinner and sex instead of five o'clock tea.
What's wrong with that?

Yay for the new sex before marriage debate that has started lol
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:10 AM   #63
Tigershard
Hench Mutant

I really didn't think twice about Casey and April living together. My brother is moving in with his girlfriend of 6 years next month, and another friend of mine just bought a house and his girlfriend moved in. Also, all of my gay friends in long term relationships live together with their partners.

I really don't think the statistics matter and it comes down to individual preference and decisions. I think that people should take some time to really think about living together before doing so, but whether or not it is detrimental or beneficial all comes down to the individual.

That said, TMNT is a fictional world and I assume most of us want Casey and April to be together (except for those Don/April fans ). Families should discuss issues like this with their children, not prevent them from seeing the movie because of it. The cohabitation was shown in a mature manner, demonstrating clearly that April and Casey care about one another, and wasn't the focal point of the movie. On movies.yahoo.com I often read the review by the Movie Mom who points out what families can discuss after seeing a movie. If you have issues with movie content, those are great reviews to read.
Tigershard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:28 AM   #64
gobo
Wacky Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershard View Post
Families should discuss issues like this with their children, not prevent them from seeing the movie because of it. The cohabitation was shown in a mature manner, demonstrating clearly that April and Casey care about one another, and wasn't the focal point of the movie.
That's why I was proud of that particular aspect of the movie. Kids aren't incapable of understanding mature issues like this, but too many parents are worried only about their own embarassment that the mature issues get told to them by their peers who typically have a half-baked understanding of the issues themselves. If you have kids, do the responsible thing and talk to them about what matters before someone else does. It's a matter of trust.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #65
jenna
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
That's why I was proud of that particular aspect of the movie. Kids aren't incapable of understanding mature issues like this, but too many parents are worried only about their own embarassment that the mature issues get told to them by their peers who typically have a half-baked understanding of the issues themselves. If you have kids, do the responsible thing and talk to them about what matters before someone else does. It's a matter of trust.
Really agree with you, gobo.

Kids today are way too sheltered, to the point where they are growing up with no sense of the real world. Please excuse the sweeping generalisation I just made... I'm exaggerating again and can't be bothered to rethink the wording.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #66
CudleyCowlick
Stone Warrior

I never batted an eye. Maybe because I've been living with my girlfriend for 2 years. We might get married, we might not. We might have a baby some day, and still not get married.

And I would totally show our little bastard child the TMNT movies. All of them are great family fun in my opinion.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:42 PM   #67
ZariusTwo
Overlord

April "lowered herself" to Casey? And yet here we have Jo implying people against the anti-cohabitors could be wrong and judgemental themselves?

The hypocrisy could'nt be much sweeter. No insult intended Jo of course. I just hate high horses. I'd love to hear a response from Kevin about this, but like him, I don't think he gave something with good sense a second thought. TMNT is about more than just following the traidtional rules, it's about exploring aspects of life we don't cherish or that we take for granted in addition to it's action

Some people let themselves be anchored by traditional maritial beleifs, even superficially unnecersary and in this case, inhumane ones
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #68
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Actually, Zarius dear... I meant she lowered herself because she was living with Casey. I don't like the character, hahaha. That's all I meant with that. She could do so much better.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #69
gobo
Wacky Action

*dumps a truck-load of Donatello plushies on Jo*
That'll keep her busy for a while. ^_^

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:14 AM   #70
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

I don't even mean Don, haha. I mean ANY OTHER PERSON.

But thanks for the plushies.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #71
Spawn Guy
Mad Scientist

Oh ouch. Just...ouch.

THE TECHNODROME'S LITTLE YELLOW BOX LOVER

madpiratebunny (19:26:51): oh goodness, I've got an idea
SpawnGuyThing (19:26:57): Do tell
madpiratebunny (19:27:02): nononono
madpiratebunny (19:27:05): no telling
SpawnGuyThing (19:27:10): ...
SpawnGuyThing (19:27:27): But I'm the imaginery friend you always wanted
SpawnGuyThing (19:27:36): Your supposed to tell me everything
Spawn Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #72
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

To tell you the truth I didn't think too much about it.I wasn't bothered by it, I was kinda impressed that April could put up living with Casey. But hey what are you gonna do. I'm not necessarily against or for it, but it's someone's personal decision. I've seen relationships (boyfriend and girlfriend, boyfriend and boyfriend, girlfriend and girlfriend) torn apart because of it, but I've also seen relationships mature once they've cohabited together. Personally I don't think I would do it any time soon but you never know. Plus there are some people who don't believe in marriage. I am not one of them but everyone's entitled to have their own beleifs and opinions. What's disgusting to some is interesting and pleasing to others.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:17 PM   #73
jerome
Foot Soldier

hmm maybe the fact that the turtles were killing human beings in the movie should worry you more than the fact that two happy loving people who are in a committed and healthy relationship are living together...just a thought.

[Edit: Remainder of post removed due to religious and political trolling. Please don't antagonize groups of people like that.]
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:30 PM   #74
Aignatius
Hench Mutant

I know religious discussion is verboten, but I have to say something here.
It isn't a matter of Christians versus anyone else, since people of other religions have very strong feelings about cohabitation as well.
Your post is an example of prejudice against one particular school of thought, and it excludes any other that may say the same.

What you seem to be railing against is small mindedness with a big opinion, and that has manifested itself in both the liberal and conservative camps. Am I right?
Old 08-01-2007, 07:21 AM   #75
odupianist
Mad Scientist

I wonder if they were having sex or in two separate beds like Lucy and Desi?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:05 AM   #76
Sparvid
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
I will admit that personally, I am a bit saddened by the amount of cohabitation vs. actual marriage I am seeing in my age group (I'm in my early twenties BTW). I persoanlly have no interest in marrage at this point, got to much on my plate with being in college and work and paying rent and all that stuff, which is probably the mind set of many other my age as well. Its just that I've noticed alot of girls get into trouble in these situations. Alot of people I know when ever they have a boyfriend they move right in with each other, and end up with having kids and then not staying together.
Yeah but... who's been talking about having children..?

Obviously that would mean a huge change in any relationship, but it is quite possible to live together and/or have sex without having kids.

(I can't think of any married people I know who I'm certain didn't live together before getting married - the parents of a former classmate of mine got married while we were 7-8 years old)
Sparvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #77
sdp
Megan Fox = April

What really is the big deal of living together before marriage?

Only thing I can think of is that they are having sex..which most people do in relationships without living together. Living together is not about sex but just that living together.

This really shouldn't be something "shocking" in this day and era, in fact It'd be cool if other cartoons did it. I've read how it was a big shock to show a "wife and husband" in the same bed back in the day..

I didn't even think about the "situation" until I read this, I knew they were living together but i thought nothing of it, like it should be.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #78
TMNT
Foot Soldier

If it makes anyone feel any better, in one of the exclusive clips that shows an alternate ending, [for those who haven't seen it]:

Spoiler:
Casey proposes to April. So that intention was always there.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:14 PM   #79
Scandia
Mad Scientist

I'd love to see Casey propose to April (or April to Casey) on screen. Or in a Tales edition. That would ROCK.

Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #80
odupianist
Mad Scientist

The scene TMNT is talking about was the ending scene, but they took it out cause they didn't want the focus away from the TMNT too much.