The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #61
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I wonder what will happen to the non-MCU X-Men shows like "Legion" or "The Gifted"? Will they pull the plug on them between seasons, or will they leave TV aside? I'd imagine Marvel would have interest in doing some "real" mutant stuff on TV and they probably wouldn't want those other non-"real" mutant shows muddying up things.

Also, Marvel comics fans should be happy. This means the moratorium by Marvel to basically bury the X-Men and Fantastic Four in the comics because of the Fox situation will be lifted. No more pushing Inhumans over mutants or anything. Quicksilver will probably even go back to being Magneto's son.
They can even say the MCU Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are Magneto's kids if they want to, and that's why the Soul Stone or whichever Stone affected them... caused a latent mutation or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Disney isn't going to ignore Spiderman's characters/villains since the new Spidey is part of the Marvel movie universe. If Sony screws up with future movies they can't go around saying their Venom or future characters aren't canon.
But ARE they canon to the MCU? I think it's a gray area. If Marvel really really REALLY wants to use Venom as the villain in Spidey Homecoming 4, they'll do it, Sony be damned.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #62
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
If Marvel really really REALLY wants to use Venom as the villain in Spidey Homecoming 4, they'll do it, Sony be damned.
Well, they'd still have ask Sony's permission. There's no reason Sony would say "no" to that, though. Marvel embracing their Venom in the MCU would only help Sony's Spider microverse.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #63
CyberCubed
Overlord

Of course it's still canon whether they use them in their movies or not. The new Spiderman is canon in their movie-verse, so anything that happens in his movies or related spinoffs is still canon.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #64
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I hope that Sony's Venom gets retconned in the future; I want to see Spider-Man get the symbiotic suit properly, during SECRET WARS
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #65
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I hope that Sony's Venom gets retconned in the future; I want to see Spider-Man get the symbiotic suit properly, during SECRET WARS
It will be "Avengers: Secret Wars."
Old 12-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #66
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
It will be "Avengers: Secret Wars."
lmao of course, but that's not the worst thing in the world. Worth it to have Marvel actually be able to use all of their characters in a film series

They could even stick Deadpool in there like the parody retcon comic miniseries he was in during Marvel's second Secret Wars event last year, that would be amazing

Of course by the time Marvel would be ready to film something like this several of the MCU's founding Avengers would likely have been stepped-down or retired from the films all together, but that's alright it's only natural
Old 12-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #67
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My only wish at this point is that things would get a lot less weird between Marvel Studios and Marvel TV. The Netflix stuff is the best thing Marvel's done anywhere, and I wanna see things like Vincent D'onofrio's Kingpin in a Spider-Man movie or Ghost Rider in a Dr. Strange movie. It's shame to have all of that trapped in a bubble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Are we sure the MCU Spider-Man would even want the symbiotic suit? What could it possibly offer him that Tony's super Spider-suit can't?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-08-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #68
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
My only wish at this point is that things would get a lot less weird between Marvel Studios and Marvel TV. The Netflix stuff is the best thing Marvel's done anywhere, and I wanna see things like Vincent D'onofrio's Kingpin in a Spider-Man movie or Ghost Rider in a Dr. Strange movie. It's shame to have all of that trapped in a bubble.

Are we sure the MCU Spider-Man would even want the symbiotic suit? What could it possibly offer him that Tony's super Spider-suit can't?
Honestly, not much. Marvel really made his suit OP soon after he became Spider-Man, I don't know that I like that choice yet. It just seems really... excessive. I mean Spider-Man's web-shooting options have always been pretty versatile and he's had a fair number of gadgets over the years (still ain't got nothing on Batman tho) but this is over the top
Old 12-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #69
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I dunno, I can see the appeal of not being reliant on the whim and whimsy of Tony Stark.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #70
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And I thought the whole point of Homecoming was to demonstrate that Peter doesn't need any Stark tech or gadgets or anything, that he's better without that crap. Yet here he is in Infinity War, proudly swinging around in Stark Super Spider-Suit 2.0, like they've double-downed on the opposite.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #71
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Stark is, and always will be, his own worst enemy.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #72
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Here's a real kicker for the Disney/Fox deal...Fantastic Four is only licensed and distributed by FOX, they don't actually own the rights directly. Constantin Films own the rights. So if Disney get the X-Franchise and other elements still under FOX's direct control, it's likely they won't acquire the Four and will have to court Constantin for them

https://screenrant.com/disney-fox-fa...antin/?ref=yfp
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #73
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Here's a real kicker for the Disney/Fox deal...Fantastic Four is only licensed and distributed by FOX, they don't actually own the rights directly. Constantin Films own the rights. So if Disney get the X-Franchise and other elements still under FOX's direct control, it's likely they won't acquire the Four and will have to court Constantin for them

https://screenrant.com/disney-fox-fa...antin/?ref=yfp
If Disney gets the X-franchise, they'll likely never care enough to bother with the Fantastic Four.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #74
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
If Disney gets the X-franchise, they'll likely never care enough to bother with the Fantastic Four.
Highly unlikely. They'd absolutely do a new Fantastic Four movie.

And again, there was some hubbub about Fox having bought out Constantin's interest in the Fantastic Four a year ago, though nothing conclusive. In any case, assuming the worst, Constantin was able to play ball with Fox enough to do 3 Fantastic Four movies so far... I wouldn't expect they'd cause Disney/Marvel Studios much problems. If not, I'm sure it'd be a Hulk kind of situation... i.e., they can use the Fantastic Four in anything they want, anywhere, as long as it's not a Fantastic Four solo feature. But I'd kind of just imagine Disney would throw money at Constantin to get them out of the picture nice and neat.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #75
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Disney has the Avengers, which has long since replaced the X-Men as the most popular team in and out of the comics and whose films have made more domestically and internationally than any single X film, and they still made movies out of Ant-Man and Dr. Strange of all characters.

If they ever get the rights back, Fantastic Four is greenlit day one, guaranteed.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #76
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Highly unlikely. They'd absolutely do a new Fantastic Four movie.

And again, there was some hubbub about Fox having bought out Constantin's interest in the Fantastic Four a year ago, though nothing conclusive. In any case, assuming the worst, Constantin was able to play ball with Fox enough to do 3 Fantastic Four movies so far... I wouldn't expect they'd cause Disney/Marvel Studios much problems. If not, I'm sure it'd be a Hulk kind of situation... i.e., they can use the Fantastic Four in anything they want, anywhere, as long as it's not a Fantastic Four solo feature. But I'd kind of just imagine Disney would throw money at Constantin to get them out of the picture nice and neat.
I'm presupposing this on the possibility that those rights haven't already been obtained (i.e. in exchange for Legion). But if a huge wave of X-rights come home and the Fantastic Four don't, there will be so much material to mine that it could take another decade or two before anyone makes the Richards foursome a priority. (Galactus, Annihulus, and other cosmic big bads excepted.)
Old 12-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #77
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I think the relative longevity of the X-Men movies compared to the several failed Fantastic Four film franchises (say that five times fast) actually works in the FF's favor as far as Disney/Marvel is concerned. Focusing on the FF over the X-men initially would allow time to pass, fading memories of the X-Men films so that when Disney/Marvel introduces their own versions of the characters they'll have less baggage from prior iterations, as well as more viewers who will have never seen the Fox X-Men movies.

When Marvel started blackballing the hell out of the Fantastic Four in their comics I knew they had plans as far as getting the movie rights back. I hope they pay off!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #78
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I can't wait 'till Disney own me and everyone I care about. They're such a nice company with honorable and fair business practices. I'm sure once all their competition is gone, they'll keep the quality up too. I mean, that's how it always works right?!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #79
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
I can't wait 'till Disney own me and everyone I care about. They're such a nice company with honorable and fair business practices. I'm sure once all their competition is gone, they'll keep the quality up too. I mean, that's how it always works right?!
You would think more people would see it this way, but...you know, X-Men in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, boy howdy.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #80
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I'm presupposing this on the possibility that those rights haven't already been obtained (i.e. in exchange for Legion).
Come to think of it... the article I read about Constantin being bought out by Fox... that happening around December of last year... hmmm... you might be right. After decades, why would Fox suddenly care about straightening things out with Constantin, particularly after their Fantastic Four reboot failed?

Only one explanation I can think of: to be able to gift Fantastic Four to Disney/Marvel with a nice legal ribbon. In exchange for Legion and Gifted, possibly some "here's the difference" kind of money to sweeten the pot.