The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Live-Action Pokemon Series From Netflix

In early development, with Joe Henderson (Lucifer) writing and producing

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/pok...on-1235026390/
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's safe to say a Detective Pikachu 2 isn't happening at this point, so they'll make this instead. It'll probably take place in its own universe though separate from everything else. Wouldn't be surprised if they make up their own OC characters instead of basing them on any existing human characters.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #3
sdp
Megan Fox = April

They're going to racebend my waifu
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's safe to say a Detective Pikachu 2 isn't happening at this point, so they'll make this instead. It'll probably take place in its own universe though separate from everything else. Wouldn't be surprised if they make up their own OC characters instead of basing them on any existing human characters.
The movie was successful and had good reaction from audiences, there's a Detective Pikachu sequel in development for Switch. They're working on a sequel, they're just taking their sweet time
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The movie was successful and had good reaction from audiences, there's a Detective Pikachu sequel in development for Switch. They're working on a sequel, they're just taking their sweet time
I doubt it. Ryan Reynolds going back inside the body of a Pikachu wouldn't even make sense for the plot of a sequel. It was one and done.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:09 PM   #6
AquaParade
Banned

How are they going to find a Pikachu to play Pikachu? Or a Charazard to play Charazard? Don't tell me it'll be that Scarlett Johansson again.

#Pokewash
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

The main characters will likely be made up OC's like random black and spanish people because Nintendo is protective these days of seeing their game characters used in other media. Tim in the Detective Pikachu game is a white kid for example but in the movie they cast the black actor to play him.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #8
drgon78
Mad Scientist

If it's on Netflix then it will be called "Wokemon".
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #9
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

This will be horrifying to see, will Ash Ketchum be the main character at least?
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #10
Coola Yagami
Overlord

It'll be the story of a guy transitioning into a girl and all the struggles that come with it and um... yeah... there will occasionally be a Pikachu here or a Charmander there.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:07 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofan26 View Post
This will be horrifying to see, will Ash Ketchum be the main character at least?
I doubt it'll use any of the anime characters at all.

Fully expect original OC characters. Nintendo is usually protective with how their characters are handled, but if they just make up random humans they can do whatever they want with them. Make them black, gay, trans, whatever.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:32 PM   #12
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Detective Pikachu was set a decade after the original games, it stands to reason Ash would have grown up by then in live-action adaptations, even though the anime series are centred on his childhood and never age him or his supporting cast.

The male protagonist of the original games, Red, did make a cameo in Detective Pikachu though.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:24 PM   #13
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Tim in the Detective Pikachu game is a white kid for example but in the movie they cast the black actor to play him.
The Movie story of detective pikachu in comparison to the video game is like night and day. The game has some neat moments but is overall dull. Tim is a horrible character and the black kid easily deserves to be the definitive version of that character. Best race swap ever.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

This is why I don't think they'll be allowed to use game characters. Tim is a throwaway character from a spinoff, but I don't think they'd be allowed to use Gym leaders and then change their races or personalities. Nintendo/Game Freak are very protective how their characters are licensed. Especially if this show is aimed at adults and they start including the usual gay, transgender characters, etc...no way will Gamefreak/Nintendo allow that for the established characters in game lore.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:59 PM   #15
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Detective Pikachu was set a decade after the original games, it stands to reason Ash would have grown up by then in live-action adaptations, even though the anime series are centred on his childhood and never age him or his supporting cast.

The male protagonist of the original games, Red, did make a cameo in Detective Pikachu though.
That was supposed to be the original ending to the first Pokemon series. Are Pokemon fans not going to be upset over them not using Ash for the lead?
Old 07-27-2021, 03:11 PM   #16
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I thought they'd have phased Ash out by now. They gave him his big Poke league win in 2019, and now he co-leads the current era with a new kid.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:42 PM   #17
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I thought they'd have phased Ash out by now. They gave him his big Poke league win in 2019, and now he co-leads the current era with a new kid.
NA They'll never phase him out, if any thing the perfect time would have been the BW series. Not saying I like how he's being treated in this new series, its my least favorite of Pokemon. I didn't think any thing could top Sun and Moon. With Go being my least favorite of the friends who I assume will vanish once this series ends.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:51 PM   #18
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The perfect time to let Ash go was in the original series, the second best time was after Johto. There's no point in getting rid of him now, Ash IS the anime, same reason Team Rocket is there despite not being the main villains 6 generations in a row. Why get rid of an iconic character that has lasted generations of kids to replace them with a newbie that will have Ash's role. It doesn't really matter anymore, it's established Ash doesn't age so he'll always be 10 and kids can watch any season of Pokemon and see the same Ash.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:30 PM   #19
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Should be cool. I finally saw Detective Pikachu recently. It was good but I stopped watching the anime back in the 2000s.

Netflix is on a roll with these acquisitions.

Sonic Prime
My Little Pony
Pokemon
Terminator
Old 07-30-2021, 01:32 AM   #20
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:

I love the fact that it is Japanese voice actor that dubs over Tim that plays Red. Also it’s Kamen rider Drive.