Notices

Old 01-13-2005, 10:29 PM   #41
Kazari
Foot Elite

You're not a dork!
Old 01-14-2005, 01:43 AM   #42
audman
Random Punk

I would say that I have not really lost interest. I may not get to watch them on tv when first televised but I do give effort. Another note why many of us maybe don't feel we are as interested is....

1. When you are a kid everything is new even when you watch it forty times. I know five year olds that watch tapes over and over until they wear out.

We as teens and adults know we have it on tape so when a repeat airs we look for something new to watch. I know that I like the show. I think feeling that you are not as interested is caused by not being able to devote the time you did when you were 7 years old to something. I love other toy lines and shows as well but when there is a dry spell I look elsewhere until something new happens. It is only natural. (rambling finished)
audman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #43
Mandi-chan
Stone Warrior

I still love the new toon with a passion!

I started off as a TMNT because of the movies, and kinda forgot about them until I saw a teaser for the premire of the new cartoon. I remembered the movies and that there had been a cartoon when I was little (I'm 18 now) and thought the new toon looked cool. I didn't get around to watching it until the end of season one, and I fell in love!

I don't collect the Merch, I'm getting the series on dvd and would like to buy the giant figures of the guys, a plushi of Mikey, and figures for other characters I liked.

I don't think the new toon has gotten boring at all, if anything, it gets better and better. I'm kinda upset by all the negative reponses concerning the new toon here...
Mandi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #44
Kazari
Foot Elite

True and maybe I feel this way right now because of the reruns..hopefully when the new episodes start up again, I'll be fine! LOL
Old 01-14-2005, 02:53 PM   #45
HorseTechie
Inactive Moderator

Heh-heh... yes, I will admit I finally grew tired of the TMNT too. Not so much that I want no more. Just enough that I'm not like obsessively thinking about them. Or wanting to chat with friends about TMNT, or write fanfic and draw fanart.

I just stick around for the sake of my freinds. I have been a fan of the TMNT since 1990. I've been there though it all, every up and down. It wasn't until 1997 that I discovered the online community. That was a wild blast for a many great year. Then, like the saying goes, I finally had enough of that good thing. The new cartoon is great.. I do make an effort to watch that. And pick up the new comics. But I my hunger for all things TMNT is finally satisfied.

Of course, getting hooked into another fandom doesn't help keep my interest on the TMNT much anymore either...
HorseTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #46
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm
I really liked the beginning of the new show's season 1. There were still a couple of good episodes after that but most of them were rather boring. I'm here 99% because of the people.
Yeah, that's pretty much the same story here. This board is about the people. TMNT is just what brought us here. The people is what makes us stay.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:35 PM   #47
Dinogrrl
Foot Soldier

"Not so much that I want no more. Just enough that I'm not like obsessively thinking about them. Or wanting to chat with friends about TMNT, or write fanfic and draw fanart."

You know I've never related the writing of fic or drawing of art or owning of toys with intensity of interest or lack of interest in a fandom. Probably because I never draw fanart or write fanfic or buy toys, but I think fandom covers all forms from the maniacal completist collecter to someone like me who likes to watch the show for fun and has a few knick knacks but isn't interested in toys or with being bothered with getting up to watch the new episodes. Hey, they come out on dvd eventually anyway.

So I don't think what Jo Dawn and HT described is necessarily a loss of interest as a shifting of priorities back toward RL (as it should be), or perhaps more accurately, passing through the "honeymoon" period and settling into 'mature' fandom. It doesn't mean we like it any less, just that it's only one facet of our lives.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:10 PM   #48
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazari
I know being an adult sucks! *poutz* I wish I was young again.
Oh dear God... I don't!! I hated being young.

Quote:
So I don't think what Jo Dawn and HT described is necessarily a loss of interest as a shifting of priorities back toward RL (as it should be), or perhaps more accurately, passing through the "honeymoon" period and settling into 'mature' fandom. It doesn't mean we like it any less, just that it's only one facet of our lives.
Wow. Yeah.

Writing fanfiction is a way for me to... get some things out of my system. It's therapeautic.

Okay, see... that's it. My priorities are for my real life; the stuff that keeps going on and on and will move me FORWARD as a person. Real life dosn't come out on DVD or reruns. Once it's gone, it's gone.

And, you know, that's just it. It's the growing up. Can you be a grown up and still love the TMNT? Yes!! It's a wonderful part of our lives that should never, ever be forgotten or forfeited. But...

My focus is on my life. My work, my love.

I'm still a fan, I always will be. But it can't be like it was before.

...Nothing ever can.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:15 PM   #49
nWoCHRISnWo
Random Punk

18 years old, don't post here much at all, mostly read some of the threads, but...

I am as interested in the TMNT right now as I've ever been. I like the TV show better and better every week, I collect the DVDs, I buy TMNT shirts, new toys, old collectables off Ebay and other places, TMNT puzzles, games, you name it. I would go absolutely nuts if I missed a new episode. Like, I'd be more angry at that than if I lost my job, car, or wallet.

Suprised with all the replies with people losing TMNT interest.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:55 PM   #50
Kazari
Foot Elite

Wow, JD. Your post is so true, depressing, but yet so true LOL
Old 01-14-2005, 08:59 PM   #51
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

i'd write more fan fics...if i could end the stinks....

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:12 PM   #52
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazari
Wow, JD. Your post is so true, depressing, but yet so true LOL
*nods* Yeah, that it is.

I mean, no one wants to hear that the time of youth, of innocense, has passed them by. They want to retain that time of wide eyed wonder that only comes with youth, and is destroyed by time.

Unfortunately, as much as even I hate to say it... It happens. Fantasy comes harder, with more difficulty, and reality comes to us more harshly.

...Hey... I think this could be used in the 'Quote Yourself' thread. Heh.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:20 PM   #53
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I have a saying to describe the harsh effects of priorities in people's lives consuming thier love and appreciation for certain parts of any fandom, in large or small ways, or Turtles or otherwise...

"Your childhood does'nt betray you...you betray it."
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:35 PM   #54
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

But you have to admit, that, at some point, reality... priorities, become the necessity.

Unless you are a cartoonist, or a voice actor, or some other profession in which you deal with this line of work constantly, and make a living off of it.

Betray? Well, heh, I don't think so.

I'm sorry, but... If I had to choose... Real life people who love me, and real arms to hold me take precedence over shows I can watch in my spare time off a tape or DVD.

I need to make money and I need to be loved. *shrugs* So sue me.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:36 PM   #55
Leonardo Mystic
Stone Warrior

Never, never, never will I get tired of the Turtles. Mostly in part because I'm a 'born again' fan.

I had a falling out with them about the time the OS cartoon was to be cancelled, the third movie was released, and before NT:NM started its short-lived run. I had moved on to other things by then. Until that time, I had a blast with them, and Leonardo was always my favorite, love, and passion. At seven years old, I had declared him my 'boyfriend.' I swear it. Anyone who would have asked me then if I had a boyfriend I'd instantly reply "Leonardo", and I was dead serious about it too.
*giggles* It was funny because they'd give me this weird look, and I'd be like "You know, the Ninja Turtle" and their look would just get stranger.

Though in all honesty, even now it's not far from the truth. It's hard to explain, and I'm probably considered crazy for it, but an indescribeable happiness fills within me everytime I see his face, watch as he moves, and hear his voice as he speaks. Though he's fictional, I love him as if he were real, and that's what's depressing about it to me. I'd give up everything in this world to have him be real, just in human form, but I'd have better odds at winning the lottery jackpot first before that could happen, if ever. Jeez, I'm pathetic...

*ahem* Anyway, I was alerted rather strangely about TMNT's revival. I had a dream (yes, I'm serious), about them in live-action form just around the time, I think, that the new cartoon was half way through it's first season in 2003; a year and a half ago. Of course, I just about freaked out because I had not thought of the Turtles in years. Not since probably around '96, '97, and I had a normal, casual conversation with them just as if I would have with anyone. We were all sitting in the living room of their home as the setting, and Leo had me sitting in his lap. Basically, I think they were telling me they were back, though don't ask me how a dream like this ensued to begin with because I haven't got a clue.

After I had the dream, I didn't know what to make of it, and I didn't even check to see if there was any kind of evidence to back it up, though I should have. Plus, I thought it was a random thing my subconscious had somehow pulled out from memories after nearly a decade of lying dormant. However, I've now come to really pay attention to my dreams, especially when I found out it was true. It was a Sunday afternoon around 4-ish in March of last year, and I was eating dinner at a pizza place called "Stevie B's." There are several televisions in the resturant, and one of them was on Cartoon Network. I happen to glance up at the screen, and just about choked on the slice of the cheese pizza I was eating when I recognized what was on it. I was thinking at the moment "No freakin' way!! It can't be!!", but it was. That was just the beginning of the domino effect that eventually led me back into the Turtles wholeheartedly. Though it was in June, several months later after the incident, that I first saw an episode, which was "Darkness at the Edge of Town." I immediately fell in love with it, and the rest, they say, is history.

I found again what I had been missing for years. It feels like a second chance, and this time, I'm not letting go. I started collecting so many things as well. Figures, games, watches, tins, keychains, plushes, notebooks, shirts, fleece throw, beach towels, backpack, posters, Mirage Volume One comics when I learned about them, and cards. Most all of it is of Leonardo, but a few things are a group shot with him.

So that's why I'll never get tired of it.

Leonardo Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:42 PM   #56
Kazari
Foot Elite

Well actually JD I am trying to an animation writer. I already finished my first script to send in so i guess this MAY be my profession lol
Old 01-14-2005, 09:53 PM   #57
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Hey, that's cool, Kazari!!

To be honest, when I was little, I wanted to be a VA. Heh.

The point of my post was not to belittle those workers who hold those jobs. It's a job, yes, as respectable as any other. I respect them as much as I do anyone else who works hard for a living.

Go for it, girl. It'd be an awesome job.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:55 PM   #58
Weapon X
Turtle Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Dawn
To be honest, when I was little, I wanted to be a VA. Heh. Go for it, girl. It'd be an awesome job.
You too huh

I think we can all agree that TMNT is one of those things that will stay with us forever no matter how old we are.
Weapon X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:43 AM   #59
Kazari
Foot Elite

Yeah I can't do voices. I tried but I can't *laughs* 2 of my best friends can...one of them is trying to pursue it. She's young but she's taking acting classes. I am more of a writer than anything. I need to edit my script and then send it off *keeps fingers crossed* Luckily Mike Pollock and Sam were helping me with it and giving me tips.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:41 AM   #60
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

I don't see the "life is more important" aspect of this. That's most likely because I never looked at the TMNT as something that took my entire childhood. Not once did it suck up my existence back in the day to the point where it would be all I thought of or the only thing I would want to talk about. I was a big fan, having toys, comics, coloring books, even a lunchbox, but it wasn't anything close to an obsession where it would affect my decisions on life. The cartoon never made me want to decide a career, but it was one of the factors that made me interested in story and art.

The franchise was never a huge ideal in my mind, and it still isn't. However, it wasn't just something to kill time, either. I'm a bit in the middle of the spectrum, so to speak; indifferent on the subject, you could say.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote