The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-07-2016, 01:11 AM   #21
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I dunno, with better writing and less goofiness, the show could have been pretty good. I don’t think it was necessarily a bad fit to make a Turtles show in a Power Rangers vein, ie. a light-hearted, live-action kid’s show. They could have done a better job with it though.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #22
Wesley
Mad Scientist

No, I'd say TNM is better off left in the past.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I know this is a joke post, there isn't any reason to. TNM was never successful... so it wouldn't even be a study in, "How can we bring back a hit from 1997 for 2016 audiences?", it would be, "How can we take a series that failed immediately on launch in 1997, and bring it back in a way that doesn't in 2016?"

No one is going to throw any money at making that happen. No one.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #24
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I know this is a joke post, there isn't any reason to. TNM was never successful... so it wouldn't even be a study in, "How can we bring back a hit from 1997 for 2016 audiences?", it would be, "How can we take a series that failed immediately on launch in 1997, and bring it back in a way that doesn't in 2016?"

No one is going to throw any money at making that happen. No one.
We say this, and yet Michael Bay is rubbing his grimy sweaty hands together in maniacal glee...
Old 12-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #25
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
We say this, and yet Michael Bay is rubbing his grimy sweaty hands together in maniacal glee...
Oh man, just the thought of Bay making a Next Mutation movie has me feeling queasy.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #26
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Oh man, just the thought of Bay making a Next Mutation movie has me feeling queasy.
Shell cleavage everywhere.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #27
neatoman
Emperor

I have not watched the show beyond the first two episodes, were there any loose threads or some untapped potential that would justify a revival? I'm not talking about wheter or not the show was popular/good enough to "deserve it" (popular opinion seems to imply otherwise), just if there was anything of worth that can come out of a revival.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I have not watched the show beyond the first two episodes, were there any loose threads or some untapped potential that would justify a revival? I'm not talking about wheter or not the show was popular/good enough to "deserve it" (popular opinion seems to imply otherwise), just if there was anything of worth that can come out of a revival.
The show had no real ending, and the main villain Dragon Lord was never defeated.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #29
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I don't remember much about the show, to be honest, but I watched the first few eps for the first time in ages a few years ago. I don't think there were any good loose ends other than The Shredder making a brief return.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #30
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

The only thing Next Mutation deserves is a chance to have some of its characters and plots mined for revamping in IDW and Nick cartoon.

Venus, Dragon Lord, Vam Mi, Bonesteel, and Andre are all pretty great--or COULD be great, if written appropriately and for a specific purpose. Yes, even Venus.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #31
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
How the heck is Next Mutation in the Power Rangers formula? Other than both being live action kids shows made by Saban they have nothing in common.
It's the same style and tone.

I never saw TNM when it was new, only watched it two or three years ago when it was available on demand via my cable. I had no idea who made it and I've never watched Power Rangers, my only familiarity with that one is through the commercials and yet with that alone I quickly picked up on it that TNM had to be made by the same people. So I would not agree they have nothing in common; it felt similar enough to be obvious who was behind it. They tried to give TMNT the same hokey style, sound effects, etc and it doesn't work for them.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Quote:
Shell cleavage everywhere.
Why did "Grab her by the cloaca" just run through my mind. *cringe*

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-07-2016 at 02:51 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #32
sdp
Megan Fox = April

A TNM thread full of misconceptions? yup. Well let's get started with the clean up.

About the Power Rangers debate, both sides are technically right, it has the style of the Saban Toku shows it adapted and yet it's also different enough to be considered its own thing. The style is obviously similar since it's the same production but other than that they did try to do their own thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post

There are three main reasons why Saban has never tried this:
  1. The show wasn't successful to begin with.
  2. Saban doesn't so much as have the rights to make any new TMNT products (they have licensing rights for ONLY The Next Mutation).
  3. There is a very large general consensus that TNM was utter f*cking garbage and should never be mentioned ever again.
Those are not really true, the show was relatively successful just not a hit and it was expensive. Saban owns TNM show that's it like how Fred Wolf owns the OT. TNM is unfairly hated by most, does it deserve to? Maybe but it's hated by people who've never really seen more than a few clips and there're redeeming features of it.

Quote:
It's a product of its time, it doesn't need a revival but its characters do deserve a second chance and a live action turtles show also deserves a second chance. A second season would've been great but back in 1998. There were a few lose ends like Shredder returning and Dragon Lord never being defeated and I believe the "good" dragon who went back to his home land to gather forces but he may have returned in another episode I can't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The show had no real ending, and the main villain Dragon Lord was never defeated.
There's like 3 episodes where he is defeated but the turtles just kind of leave him there, especially the last one could've easily been a finale.

Quote:
The only thing Next Mutation deserves is a chance to have some of its characters and plots mined for revamping in IDW and Nick cartoon.

Venus, Dragon Lord, Vam Mi, Bonesteel, and Andre are all pretty great--or COULD be great, if written appropriately and for a specific purpose. Yes, even Venus.
Exactly, couldn't agree more.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #33
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Why did "Grab her by the cloaca" just run through my mind. *cringe*
That's gross dude.
But it did remind me of this funny skit:
Spoiler:

(Note:Has some adult themes, but nothing NSFW. Just warning you.)
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #34
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
[*]The show wasn't successful to begin with.
Actually it did pretty well in ratings. The Next Mutation wasn't cancelled due to poor ratings from what I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
Let's try leaving all the cheesy cartoonish stuff behind and have a more serious take for once. Everyone says the Daredevil Netflix series is great. Maybe take some cues from that?
Yes dark, edgy, totally serious, humourless, boring...
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #35
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I'll tell you what's boring. Having Fred Wolf inspired **** shoved down our throats in just about every current incarnation now is boring.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:55 AM   #36
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
I'll tell you what's boring. Having Fred Wolf inspired **** shoved down our throats in just about every current incarnation now is boring.
Shut up, fool. You don't know what you like!

NOW ENJOY THESE FRED WOLF REFERENCES LIKE A REAL TMNT FAN WOULD!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #37
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

lame

y'all live some shallow unfulfilled lived. Keyword here is tried but you'll take any chance to harp on TNM and others cause it's the "cool" thing to do. Hope the acceptance of elderly men/women and prepubescent children on this board was worth it.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #38
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Daredevil does what it's meant to and does it well, it has been critically acclaimed for a reason.

I guess you'd like it better if the boom mic guy walked right through the set in every episode, or if the scripts were lifted wholesale from Buffy the Vampire Slayer?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #39
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Shut up, fool. You don't know what you like!

NOW ENJOY THESE FRED WOLF REFERENCES LIKE A REAL TMNT FAN WOULD!!!!!!!
You got it nailed down.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #40
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Everyone knows that Daredevil could have been Super duper MEGA Critically acclaimed if they only had added cartoony Sproing and Ding-dong sound effects.

While TNM had goo ratings and was canceled due to budget issues and not the quality of the content, the show was pretty bad with it's childish humor, dead-eyed costumes and poor acting. I've seen the show twice and a half, it's not something that needs or deserves to be revived. Season two didn't happen, no April, no Casey and no Shredder resolution, but I don't mind.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
next mutation, saban