The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: TMNT (2007) or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)?
TMNT (2007) 8 72.73%
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #21
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
*sigh* Minae Noji would have rocked a more Mirage-eque Karai, who would have been Shredder's superior. I do hope she gets a expanded role in the sequel, cause she was majorly underused in the 2014 movie.
Totally. As many issues as I have with this movie (and uh, I've definitely made those clear) a good portion of the cast really deserved more. I could see her as a great Mirage Karai, which is easily the best version of that character. Too bad she didn't get something substantial to work with.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:46 AM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

I much prefer 2007, although neither one is ever going to get much play over here. 2007 was very flawed, and infinitely forgettable, but it wasn't so completely flat-out broken like the new one is. All things being equal, it's a better movie in general, just because it isn't completely coming from so many wrong directions all at once. The worst thing you could really say about it, other than "forgettable", is that the new story they tried to tell wasn't very interesting. They would have been much better off playing it "safe" and including a more familiar villain. They overreached with the whole "13 monsters" and "Bad Guy Reveals He's Really Not A Bad Guy" thing. There was way too much plot for the time limit they had. I like the visuals and the voice acting, but not the plot.

The new one just has SO much wrong with it. Bad cast (humans at least), poor characterization, a really bad storyline and piles of awful, AWFUL dialog. Literally everything about it is Busted in some way. How can you fail at so many things simultaneously, movie?!

Not a huge fan of either. The very best thing that could be said about either one, is "It's TMNT".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #23
Gunpowder
Stone Warrior

Neither are altogether great...2014 is too commercialized and 2007 is riddled with cheesy plot elements and one-liners...but, had the poll still been open, Imagi would have my vote. That movie was my first time giving my full attention to the Turtles and was responsible for drawing me into the franchise in the first place. I think the Turtles themselves looked great in that film, and the thing was extremely loyal to Mirage. "We strike hard, and fade into the night."

Here's something interesting: in retrospect, '07 acquired Laird's approval (he had a personal meeting with director Kevin Munroe, and decided he fit the bill); whereas, the '14 flick had Eastman on board. Although, given the producers of the latter, I don't think Eastman's input mattered all that much, in actuality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Oh man, 2007 in a heartbeat. It's definitely got some major issues on the script/plot level, but it was pretty damn enjoyable overall. The directing & animation were solid - a lot more visually engaging, with much better choreography/cinematography overall than the BayTurtles movie, IMO - and the characters and their world rang true. The Leo/Raph fight scene alone looks and flows better than any piece of directing in the 2014 movie. I thought that most of the voice cast fit their roles really well, too - not everyone's a fan, but Mako as Splinter was an inspired choice. And that Klaus Badelt score was excellent.

The "13 monsters" plot was pretty half-baked and underwhelming, and as a whole it just wasn't the slam-dunk it needed to be at that point in time, but between the two it's no contest. It's flawed, but many parts of it are really under-appreciated.
Basically.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #24
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

odd that the poll is closed.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:48 PM   #25
CowabungaMikey
Stone Warrior

The 2014 movie. While I still love the 2007 movie, it just felt off to me. The dumb videogame intro, and it's basically ''Leo vs. Raph: the Movie.'' The 2014 movie actually had all the Turtles in the lead and had a solid story.

Cowabunga says it all!
CowabungaMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #26
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowabungaMikey View Post
The 2014 movie. While I still love the 2007 movie, it just felt off to me. The dumb videogame intro, and it's basically ''Leo vs. Raph: the Movie.'' [
2014 started like fruit ninja

Quote:
The 2014 movie actually had all the Turtles in the lead and had a solid story.
i think we watched different movies

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #27
lindz247
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post

lol true dat nice relation

Michelangelo ~ He's one of a kind
lindz247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #28
CowabungaMikey
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post

i think we watched different movies
Now you're just looking for stuff to hate on.

Cowabunga says it all!
CowabungaMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #29
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowabungaMikey View Post
Now you're just looking for stuff to hate on.
yes i am just drinking the hateraid.....says the guy who claims 2007 started out like a video game

im not even saying anything bad...2014 started with a black screen and fruits being sliced in half by weapons (fruit ninja)

as for the turtle being front and center again im sorry but we clearly watched different movies, you can not sit there and tell me with a straight face that you felt "Ninja Turtles" 2014 featured the turtles so much that if you took away the name and the TMNT refrences they where the main focus

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #30
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Uh, yeah...April movie. Raph almost played a significant role in the film, what with being the one who has to go save his brothers and all, but then April took that away from him.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #31
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

I'm never gonna argue that TMNT was flawless, but that movie at least attempted to have character arcs for Leo and Raph. BayTurtles didn't even try to do that. And it's worth criticizing that Mikey and Donnie were sidelined in TMNT, but all of the Turtles were sidelined for April in BayTurtles. It's not really a contest there.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #32
AquaParade
Banned

TMNT is more respectful to the franchise, but the monster plot is boring as hell. The turtles were sort of flat in character and Mikey was a joke, more so than usual these days, although I know that's not saying much.

Ninja Turtles 2014 may have a laundry list of problems, but I find it slightly more entertaining. The visuals are beautiful in some spots, and the turtles have some fun action moments.

Each has a bland and/or broken story, but the pinch of chemistry between the turtles and the visual splendor of the action scenes settles it for me.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
michael bay's tmnt, tmnt