The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 10-11-2021, 12:56 PM   #2141
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

Turning people gay/trans is really today's the equivalent of giving a superhero more spikes and an XTREEEME makeover in the 90s. Just marketing and it'll all go away when people stop giving them free marketing over the "controversial change".
Everything has to be an opportunity to push an agenda, I suppose:
Quote:
Son of Kal-El writer Tom Taylor told IGN about the decision to have Jon come out as bisexual now. “When I was asked if I wanted to write a new Superman with a new #1 for the DC Universe, I knew replacing Clark with another straight white savior could be a real opportunity missed. I’ve always said everyone needs heroes and everyone deserves to see themselves in their heroes. Today, Superman, the strongest superhero on the planet, is coming out.”
https://gizmodo.com/dcs-current-supe...end-1847838784

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:25 AM   #2142
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Biased Broadcasting Corporation even covering it

Is Tom Taylor a brit? I didn't know that!
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:34 PM   #2143
Galactus
Foot Elite

Never been a fan of Jon so I don't know if there is any precedent for it like say Tim Drake or Kon-El were a lot of fans have speculated it over the years. Also it's Jon so who cares? If it was main universe Clark...or any of Clark that would be a big deal but this is only one step removed from making a version of Alan Scott gay on the who cares metre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Biased Broadcasting Corporation even covering it
These days the BBC are certainly not pro-LGBT. They've stopped associating with Stonewall because they "want to be seen as impartial on LGBT lives"...granted that's more to do with their problems with trans people than gays or bisexuals but it's pretty shocking that they would do that or phrase it that way.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:55 PM   #2144
Leo656
The Franchise

There's obviously nothing wrong with being gay or bisexual, but there are a few things about this situation that are annoying.

- "Too many straight white dudes." See, the writer even said it out loud. This is where people of a more conservative persuasion get aggravated. Because people who lean more left SAY "Nobody is waging any kind of war against straight, white males", except... yeah, they are. Openly.

- The "thought police" are out in force, as per usual. The reaction to this news on the Superman Homepage was NOT positive; the site's Admins responded by deleting almost all comments and even banning multiple members outright. Now granted, I only saw a couple of the comments, so perhaps there was actually some toxic stuff that needed to be cleaned up, but the comments I actually SAW were simply people saying "We don't need to go here with this," and that was enough to deserve being deleted/banned. Doesn't seem right.

One of the commenters stated, "We deserve to have our voices heard, even if we're against this decision," and one of the Admins basically said, "No, you DON'T deserve to be heard." Stuff like that is just... I don't know, man.

- One deleted comment REALLY hit the nail on the head about what's truly bothering people; less the whole "Jon is Bi" thing, and more the fact that "traditional Superman" is being entirely phased out right now in favor of ever-more trendy and "topical" iterations.

I'm paraphrasing, but the deleted comment basically said, "Right now, if you want Evil Superman, you're covered. If you want Gay Superman, you're covered. If you want Black Superman, there's gonna be a movie AND a TV/streaming series for that. BUT, if you like "plain old traditional Superman", then this is arguably the worst time in decades to be a fan of the character because virtually nothing with that character is being done anywhere. Outside of that TV show, which started strong but has been a REAL mixed bag ever since the pilot.

Add to that the fact that WB/DC is doing damage control and insisting "We're NOT replacing Clark Kent or pushing him aside" despite the fact that if you actually look at the situation across all media... yeah, that IS exactly what they're doing. Kinda like who when Barry Allen came back, they insisted "We are NOT gonna sideline Wally West," and then... that's exactly what they did for most of a decade. So obviously nobody with a long memory trusts these people. They see their favorite fictional character being nudged aside because he doesn't check enough boxes for Present-Day Thinking, and it aggravates them. "Superman can't TRULY be a hero who represents 'everyone', because he's a Straight White Male and that's inherently Bad." Is it any wonder people get annoyed?

Here's the reality of the situation, whether WB/DC admits it or not: They feel like the Clark Kent character is nuclear, after two decades of struggling to handle him properly. The Snyder movies were supposed to kickstart a new golden age for the character across all media, and WB really did think they were on the right track by doing what everyone swears they want and "Just make it like the comic books." Except the comic books are a bit more dark and violent than most people who grew up on Chris Reeve are used to, and thus even though the movies were super-faithful people had a mixed reaction to them. The mediocre reaction to and performance of those movies pretty much convinced WB/DC that NOTHING they can do with Clark Kent will "sell"; they'd already done a Chris Reeve pastiche with "Superman Returns", and it didn't do well, so they did a 180 and made a comics-accurate movie and THAT also got a mixed reaction. So now WB doesn't know WHAT to do.

What WB/DC sees, is that the Clark Kent character has become such a one-dimensional archetype in peoples' minds that it's become impossible to tell stories with him, because no matter WHAT they do people will scream about it. But they still want to market and monetize the "Superman" character.

The solution becomes, "retire" Clark Kent, push him aside, and introduce a newer, "Modern-Day Superman" with a lot less baggage and designed for more Present-Day Values. That IS the corporate endgame, no matter what WB/DC insists publicly. Again, they can come out and make all the damage-control press releases they want about how "We are NOT retiring Clark Kent", but all anyone has to do is look around at all media and see the reality of the situation. WB does NOT want to use the traditional Clark Kent iteration of Superman going forward. They will, begrudgingly, but only because too many people are heavily invested in that character. But make no mistake, that is NOT the Superman that WB wishes to carry the torch going forward. They don't see any money - or headlines - in boring, plain old Clark Kent, Straight White Male Savior.

What they're finding out the hard way is that MOST Superman fans, even if they like Jon, simply will never embrace "Jon as Superman" as the new full-time status quo regardless of whether he's straight or not, but beyond that, the Superman fanbase is typically more old-fashioned and traditional in the first place. The entire reason they prefer Superman in the first place is because he represents "traditional values" and hearkens back to "a simpler time". And, a lot of them are Christian, or at the very least fairly conservative. And those people, right this minute, are being told they are bigots because they say out loud, "I prefer to read about boring old straight white Clark Kent, thanks." Is it any wonder they're not happy?

Personally, I've bought less than a dozen Superman comics since the New 52 disaster and everything post-"Final Crisis" is all "non-canon" to me anyways. But the whole situation is so blatantly transparent - and desperate - and incredibly out-of-touch with who the character's audience is. That's what's so eye-rolling about it. Back in the day, comics publishers literally relied on giving people what they asked for; decades ago, they would literally poll the readership for story ideas and respond accordingly. Nowadays, everything is backwards; they TELL you what you're supposed to want, like, and how to feel, and if you say you don't want that then they slander you. That's simply not good business.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:45 AM   #2145
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
These days the BBC are certainly not pro-LGBT. They've stopped associating with Stonewall because they "want to be seen as impartial on LGBT lives"...granted that's more to do with their problems with trans people than gays or bisexuals but it's pretty shocking that they would do that or phrase it that way.
Oh I know that. All to do with the crackdown mandated by the Tories. They're always 'biased' whichever way you slice it, they're a mouthpiece for goverment
Old 10-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #2147
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Guess this settles who Dick is dating...

https://www.gamesradar.com/nightwing-new-costume-dc/
It's a big reason for why I replaced Detective Comics in favorof Nightwing. I already lost the Batgirl title and Batgirls does nothing for me. With all the liberal pandering and lackluster company-wide stories Nightwing co-starring Barbara Gordon is the best I can hope for. I hope that this direction will last for a while.

Going up against Titans Academy Nightwing has received more positive attention and solid sales. So whatever that was going on with Starfire can be ignored.

What is everyone picking up from the back issue bin these days? I am filling out the holes in my Justice League of America runs. I need 4 more to extend my run in volume one from #60 on.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 10-14-2021 at 04:06 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #2148
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Found out Ram V's Justice League Dark ends this December. That sucks as that was my favorite run of the characters
Old 10-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #2149
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Found out Ram V's Justice League Dark ends this December. That sucks as that was my favorite run of the characters
Is this the backup of Justice League that I never read?

My latest purchases are JLA/Spectre: Soul War 2 parter and 1987 mini-series Legends.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:56 AM   #2150
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Found out Ram V's Justice League Dark ends this December
He's also leaving Catwoman, with Tini Howard replacing him
Old 10-16-2021, 12:26 PM   #2151
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Superman's Motto has changed its now Truth Justice and a Better Tomorrow instead of American Way.

Variety
@Variety
Superman Changes Motto to ‘Truth, Justice and a Better Tomorrow,’ Says DC Chief

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/s...me-1235090712/
Old 10-16-2021, 02:19 PM   #2152
ZariusTwo
Overlord

"Trial of the Amazons" Wonder Woman event also announced at Fandome
Old 10-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #2153
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Loved the nod to the infamous moment in Superman 2 in Superman 78 #2 with the Cellophane S

Old 10-18-2021, 12:17 PM   #2154
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Turns out the colourist for Jon's book is a comicsgater. He's been openly critiquing the company and will not renew his contract when it expires.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/gabe...r-dc-comments/
Old 10-19-2021, 03:42 AM   #2155
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I'm not even trade purchasing Batman/Catwoman anymore. I was right to just go to readcomicsonline and read it that way. The whole thing is a trap, it's King deconstructing everything that makes that pairing work and butchering Selina in the process. She's not even attempting to resemble the same character she was even when King was writing her in the regular books.

And the replacement art is s*it.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #2156
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Superman's Motto has changed its now Truth Justice and a Better Tomorrow instead of American Way.
How very People's Republic of China of him.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #2157
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Just a marketing decision, It's a relic of the past, an old catchphrase that even the movie from the 70s mocks it "you'll be fighting every elected official", Superman Returns did it as well and people didn't get triggered back then. Only the 50s show played it straight and those people who watched that show are likely dead. It doesn't make sense when superman is now a "world hero" since he faces world destroying threats, hell universe destroying ones. Dubs around the world have always dubbed that away regardless. Pointless in today's world like "stronger than a locomotive".

Fake edit: after googling it, it wasn't even the original motto as I thought was likely the case: "a never-ending battle for truth and justice." is the original motto, the american way was added during world war II in a radio show for a little bit before the 50s show picked it up, since the it's only been referenced the same way 60s Batman is sometimes referenced in newer Batman media in a silly reference since it's just not logical for current batman either.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #2158
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's still been a part of Superman for decades. That Bryan Singer intentionally didn't type that last part into the script (on purpose, of course) with his rapey little hands for a Superman movie nobody liked is neither here nor there.

It isn't a problem with it not being used. It's more of an issue that the "American way" part is being loudly and publicly removed for virtue signaling purposes, as if that's somehow problematic. It's not.

In any case, WB lost the copyright to it in 2007:

https://trademarks.justia.com/782/50...-78250522.html
Old 10-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #2159
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Of course they're going to milk it to make sure it's 'controversial' and it gets people talking about Superman since it's the only thing that seems to work to get people excited about him. They need to make him gay with fake headlines (since it was his son). In the 90s they had to kill him and have him get married, same problem different decade. The reason is marketing worldwide that simple, it isn't because WB is attacking America or SJW are destroying superman, that's just silly but it's what you find people writing in comments, getting triggered about and believing.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:21 AM   #2160
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Of course they're going to milk it to make sure it's 'controversial' and it gets people talking about Superman since it's the only thing that seems to work to get people excited about him. They need to make him gay with fake headlines (since it was his son). In the 90s they had to kill him and have him get married, same problem different decade. The reason is marketing worldwide that simple, it isn't because WB is attacking America or SJW are destroying superman, that's just silly but it's what you find people writing in comments, getting triggered about and believing.
Mostly it's about DC/WB having to constantly alter Superman to maintain a copyright over him they've been fighting to retain since forever. If by simultaneously doing so, they can also win some SJW virtue signaling points and New York Times attention while they're at it from the woke crowd? By all means, seems to be their playbook.

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman