TMNT'87 now in comics!

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-teena...ew-idw-series/

Spoiler:
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #2
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Took em long enough but we'll see.

TMNT had a very particular sense of humor and it's entire world lended itself to it. Let's hope they don't go full 'Turtles Forever' with it.

The plot of one of the stone warriors wanting to join a metal band is already stupid as they are some of the few characters taken seriously. Like it's always bad news when the plan of the week involves 'invading the world with stone warriors".

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 06-21-2022 at 09:24 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:26 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Good. Get it out of their system, finally.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:38 AM   #4
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I am cautiously optimistic about this. The revisting the characters has been as guest and they are more parodied than anything. All three sets of evil mutants converging to fight the '87 Turtles could be the project I always wanted to see. The kid inside me is ecstatic. I will set my expectations low and hope that it excites me.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:53 AM   #5
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Eric Burnham also wrote the excellent Saturday Morning GI Joe comic, so I definitely trust him to nail the character voices as well as the show's patented absurdity.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:20 AM   #6
AquaParade
Banned

I'm pleased to see the line/crease drawn down the center of the nose.
Weird.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:22 AM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

It's definitely where the money is right now.

I mean, it's hard for me to believe any comic book makes money these days, but still... they might make back the money through the TPB market.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:30 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
It's definitely where the money is right now.
I don't know if I think you're right but it's a valid test to present. It'll be interesting to see if it's a runaway hit or dead on arrival, and what lessons are taken from the result.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:30 AM   #9
AquaParade
Banned

The comics line is going to look pretty healthy when it has this book, the next "Ronin" spin-off, and the "Armageddon Games" ideally bringing the ongoing back-on-track for a lot of longtime readers.

I think that's a great and diverse offering.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:30 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Its the only way I want the 87 series continued but I would only love it if:
Hope it's still set in the 90s and they don't have modern 2020 technology. Hope that they take into account continuity of the show, whether this takes place before the red sky seasons or after.

If it ignored either of those then it'd be the 87 show in look only since it'd be something tonally different.

Edit: i just read the ot synopsis, wow that sounds horrible. It looks like they're treating these turtles to be as silly as the Turtles Forever version. A shame.

Last edited by sdp; 06-21-2022 at 12:49 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:36 PM   #11
Ninjinister
無問題

Threw up in my mouth a bit when I saw the artist is a big NFT guy....
Old 06-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have seen quite a few iterations, but none have been as popular or beloved as the iconic '80s cartoon that introduced the characters to the world at large. Now, IDW will publish Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Saturday Morning Adventures, a four-issue limited series by Erik Burnham and Tim Lattie that adapts the animated series for comics.

Saturday Morning Adventures will try to capture the aesthetic of the series that debuted in 1987 featuring "awesomely absurd" concepts like the Turtles getting trapped in a VR simulator, or "one of General Krang's stalwart stone soldiers abandoning their post in pursuit of hair-metal superstardom."
So basically, this is going to be four random plots?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:49 PM   #13
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So basically, this is going to be four random plots?
Par for the course of the continuity.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:37 PM   #14
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Par for the course of the continuity.
Sure? The thing about the Fred Wolf cartoon though, is that it rushed to the 65 episode episode finish line as fast as it could and didn't stop when it got there. This partially explains a lot of the problems with the show, but in particular it's why the show had so many pointless episodes that didn't go anywhere.

With this, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. It's only four issues long and it's not like they are going to get released out of order by mistake.
Hahahaha!
Old 06-21-2022, 02:03 PM   #15
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Sure? The thing about the Fred Wolf cartoon though, is that it rushed to the 65 episode episode finish line as fast as it could and didn't stop when it got there. This partially explains a lot of the problems with the show, but in particular it's why the show had so many pointless episodes that didn't go anywhere.

With this, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. It's only four issues long and it's not like they are going to get released out of order by mistake.
Fair point.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:06 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It will answer two big questions:

#1: Is there really, truly thousands and thousands of Fred Wolf fans out there, biding their time and waiting for a new Fred Wolf project that they will throw their support behind?

#2: Would a new Fred Wolf project resonate with people who did not grow up with the cartoon?
Old 06-21-2022, 02:11 PM   #17
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Its the only way I want the 87 series continued but I would only love it if:
Hope it's still set in the 90s and they don't have modern 2020 technology. Hope that they take into account continuity of the show, whether this takes place before the red sky seasons or after.

If it ignored either of those then it'd be the 87 show in look only since it'd be something tonally different.

Edit: i just read the ot synopsis, wow that sounds horrible. It looks like they're treating these turtles to be as silly as the Turtles Forever version. A shame.
It IS NOT a series a continuation of the 1987 it is just 4 comics . We also had the Archie comcis that while it was in 1987 most stories were totaly different than the episodes.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:14 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
It IS NOT a series a continuation of the 1987 it is just 4 comics . We also had the Archie comcis that while it was in 1987 most stories were totaly different than the episodes.
It is definitely a continuation of 1987. They're telling us this and billing it as that.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:28 PM   #19
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It is definitely a continuation of 1987. They're telling us this and billing it as that.
I got the impression that it was four episodes/ one-shot stories not a cohesive narrative arc. The trapped in a VR simulation thing is fine, but "or "one of General Krang's stalwart stone soldiers abandoning their post in pursuit of hair-metal superstardom" is disappointing and doesn't have the true essence of the show, more of the parody crap like the pizza gremlins and leprechauns in Times Square in Turtles Forever.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:44 PM   #20
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It will answer two big questions:

#1: Is there really, truly thousands and thousands of Fred Wolf fans out there, biding their time and waiting for a new Fred Wolf project that they will throw their support behind?

#2: Would a new Fred Wolf project resonate with people who did not grow up with the cartoon?
I might as well answer this:
  1. That is a complicated question to answer. In terms of active fans of the Fred Wolf cartoon, there probably aren't thousands of them out there but there is an insane amount of people who did in fact grow up with the show. If they are still fans, odds are they grew up to be more general TMNT fans instead. However, if this comic does sell way better than expected just based on the active fans, I don't really believe it will be a sign of there being a bunch of people out there who actively watch the Fred Wolf cartoon and generally ignore TMNT outside of it. It seems more probable that it will because it tickled the nostalgia feathers of a bunch of people who did watch the cartoon as kids, but generally haven't really been thinking about the franchise in in the past 30 years or so.
  2. Depends on whether or not this comic is good on it's own. As terrible as the Fred Wolf cartoon is on it's own and how unlikely it is to recruit new fans of the franchise (at least if they are above the age of 10 or so), this comic does not necessarily inherit the flaws of the cartoon. It's not exactly difficult to imagine this comic having competent writing or being able to avoid seriously bad art. Though if anyone who didn't watch the show will actually be interested in the first place is unclear.

I might as well add here that my feelings about this are more or less the same as the ones I have for Shredder's Revenge. I get that it probably won't really have any of the elements that make the Fred Wolf cartoon unpresentable and makes it's so unpalatable to people who didn't grow up with it, it's hard to imagine anyone wanting to make a bad script on purpose or make the artwork ugly. However, because it sells itself on the connection to the Fred Wolf cartoon, it just comes across like a nostalgic celebration of garbage and that's a little repulsive to me.
Hahahaha!