The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Pokemon: The (Possible) Live-Action Movie

Pokemon Go has become one of the most successful entries of the entire Pokemon franchise, and it's not difficult to see why. The concept of combining the world of Pokemon with the technology of augmented reality is one that has drawn in folks of all ages, and it doesn't look like its' popularity is going to die down anytime soon, even with reports of the trouble and danger that the player-base have gotten themselves into. However, it seems as if the game's success has encouraged Hollywood somewhat...
http://deadline.com/2016/07/pokemon-...do-1201785641/
Thoughts?
retr0pia75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Like many video game adaptations, the casuals will have a moderate amount of interest and longtime fans will either find things to complain about or make lists of all the things they are anticipating.

My question is, when will we see AR movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
retr0pia75
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Like many video game adaptations, the casuals will have a moderate amount of interest and longtime fans will either find things to bitch about or make lists of all the things they are anticipating.
If they can get a good enough director and cast, it could draw in a large enough audience for it to be a success. It might be just me, but I honestly don't think that they could screw up Pokemon like all the past video game movies, especially when you consider how popular and faithful the anime is. Plus, Nintendo will more than likely have a hand in the creative process if this ever comes to fruition.
retr0pia75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

A live action pokemon movie, especially one produced for Americans, will be terrible and everyone knows that from the start.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

Pixar style or bust.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
Allio
Foot Elite

Digimon at least could work from the CGI perspective, such as the things with the royal knights and stuff...but sense pokemon is more or less based on somethings from our reality, it wouldn't work from a visual style.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:08 PM   #7
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

it'd just be a cgi fest. not really interested
Old 07-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

It'll also probably be based on the first season of the anime because Hollywood always bases franchises on its first or most popular incarnation.

So expect a bunch of adults playing Ash/Misty/Brock jumping around like Pokemon Live in the 90's, and probably some horrid plot where Giovanni is screwing Ash's mother and Misty lusts over Ash.

*shudders*
Old 07-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #9
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Afraid there's already a thread covering this topic: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...hlight=pokemon

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:25 PM   #10
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So expect a bunch of adults playing Ash/Misty/Brock jumping around like Pokemon Live in the 90's, and probably some horrid plot where Giovanni is screwing Ash's mother and Misty lusts over Ash.
omg yeah i hated that ****, we all know professor oak was the one ****ing ash's mom
Old 07-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #11
Allio
Foot Elite

MimexAsh's mom is my OTP
Old 07-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #12
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Old 07-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #13
Allio
Foot Elite

Because i can't into ot3

also tags.

Well...I admit, Haruka/May is best girl. Though Sapphire is best version...I mean, I wouldn't mind...but that is for another nostalgic reason.

Last edited by Allio; 07-12-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:35 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

The current anime is promoting Serena as Ash's love interest, although that won't mean much if she leaves when the XY anime ends like all the girls before her. Still its surprising they bothered to introduce a girl with a canon crush on him this late in the series.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:37 PM   #15
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Pixar style or bust.
This!!!!!!!

While it would take a moment to get used to bc of traditional 2d drawings or the norm for pokemon. But with Pixar behind it i am sure people would be ecstatic!!!
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #16
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The current anime is promoting Serena as Ash's love interest, although that won't mean much if she leaves when the XY anime ends like all the girls before her. Still its surprising they bothered to introduce a girl with a canon crush on him this late in the series.
I like May the best of the girls that follow Ash around. I do wish the Anime would follow the games. Gen 1, Red Blue story. Gen 2, Gold/Ethan, ending the series with the epic duel with Red. That would of been so cool.

Gen3. The heroes of Hoenn stop 3 mega legends from trashing the planet. That would of been epic.
Gen4, Dawn and Lucas deal with the Legends of time and space and Cyrus.

Gen 5 is N. Mostly N would be the focus in trying to free Pokémon from trainers, and the 2 legend dragons. The end would perhaps have N and the male/female hero defeat N in a epic legendary dragon duel.

Gen6 and so on and so on. Seeing Ash take the spotlight and not even becoming a champion is a repeat story. lol.

Last edited by turtle1237; 07-17-2016 at 02:04 PM.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #17
sdp
Megan Fox = April

A bunch of animes and japanese shows like the concept of legacy where a new hero takes the mantle so I don't know why Pokemon didn't follow this. Of course if this had happened then Ash would've needed more character development through eout season 1 and actually become competent. The whole rookie for all of Gen 1 works because he continued in other gens but I can't imagine rookie Ash winning the league. But yeah it would've been nice to have the other Gen protagonists take over the role each Gen. At this point though Ash just needs to continue for the rest of the series, no one wants to follow a new rookie hero after having Ash for nearly 20 years. That's why I also don't want him to win the League which apparently he might do. He goes from getting top 16, 8, 8, 4, 8 to winning the league? Having him win Top 2 would've been great since you knew next time he could win but going back to Top 8 and then winning that's just dumb. Then again all of B/W was apparently dumb.

As for the live action movie, It'll definitely happen after Pokemon Go. The idea of real people alongside CG Pokemon is already a thing and it's a huge hit worldwide. I used to think Pokemon just couldn't translate into live action but taking some liberties it could work. I wouldn't expect something awesome but a decent movie is doable. I look forward to seeing LA Misty and see CC's blood boil.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Ash has a love interest now? Strange. I don't think Misty, May or Dawn were portrayed as love interests of his, were they? There were lots of Ash and Misty theories back in the day, but I don't think the writers ever went that way.

How does the Pokémon anime still even manage to stay on air and get good ratings? Isn't it basically the same plot over and over again? Tema Rocket try to steal Pikachu in 90% of the episodes and fail at the end of it? And Ash will participate in a tournament at the end of the season and not manage to win it? How long has he been trying to become a "Pokémon master"?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Serena has a heavy crush on him but Ash is oblivious to it as usual so its probably not going to lead anywhere. Especially if Serena leaves when XY ends like all previous girls.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #20
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
A bunch of animes and japanese shows like the concept of legacy where a new hero takes the mantle so I don't know why Pokemon didn't follow this. Of course if this had happened then Ash would've needed more character development through eout season 1 and actually become competent. The whole rookie for all of Gen 1 works because he continued in other gens but I can't imagine rookie Ash winning the league. But yeah it would've been nice to have the other Gen protagonists take over the role each Gen. At this point though Ash just needs to continue for the rest of the series, no one wants to follow a new rookie hero after having Ash for nearly 20 years. That's why I also don't want him to win the League which apparently he might do. He goes from getting top 16, 8, 8, 4, 8 to winning the league? Having him win Top 2 would've been great since you knew next time he could win but going back to Top 8 and then winning that's just dumb. Then again all of B/W was apparently dumb.

As for the live action movie, It'll definitely happen after Pokemon Go. The idea of real people alongside CG Pokemon is already a thing and it's a huge hit worldwide. I used to think Pokemon just couldn't translate into live action but taking some liberties it could work. I wouldn't expect something awesome but a decent movie is doable. I look forward to seeing LA Misty and see CC's blood boil.
From Kanto to Johto, than Hoenn, takes a trip to Sinnoh, than he goes to Unova, than as of right now is in Kalos? And he is still a rookie? It gets old. I can understand if it was just Kanto and Johto, but how many times much he forget that normal moves have no effect on ghost types when he uses tackle on Ghost Pokémon?
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a day inside may