The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 04-09-2021, 11:54 PM   #1
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Bill Gates Wants To Dim The Sun

A Bill Gates Venture Aims To Spray Dust Into The Atmosphere To Block The Sun. What Could Go Wrong? Ariel Cohen, Jan. 11, 2021. Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielco...h=40c8b692793b

Quote:
Microsoft’s billionaire founder Bill Gates is financially backing the development of sun-dimming technology that would potentially reflect sunlight out of Earth’s atmosphere, triggering a global cooling effect. The Stratospheric Controlled Perturbation Experiment (SCoPEx), launched by Harvard University scientists, aims to examine this solution by spraying non-toxic calcium carbonate (CaCO3) dust into the atmosphere — a sun-reflecting aerosol that may offset the effects of global warming.

Widespread research into the efficacy of solar geoengineering has been stalled for years due to controversy. Opponents believe such science comes with unpredictable risks, including extreme shifts in weather patterns not dissimilar to warming trends we are already witnessing. Environmentalists similarly fear that a dramatic shift in mitigation strategy will be treated as a green light to continue emitting greenhouse gases with little to no changes in current consumption and production patterns.

SCoPEx will take a small step in its early research this June near the town of Kiruna, Sweden, where the Swedish Space Corporation has agreed to help launch a balloon carrying scientific equipment 12 miles (20 km) high. The launch will not release any stratospheric aerosols. Rather, it will serve as a test to maneuver the balloon and examine communications and operational systems. If successful, this could be a step towards a second experimental stage that would release a small amount of CaCO3 dust into the atmosphere.

David Keith, a professor of applied physics and public policy at Harvard University, recognizes the “very many real concerns” of geoengineering. It is true that no one knows what will happen until the CaCO3 is released and then studied afterward. Keith and fellow SCoPEx scientists published a paper in 2017 suggesting that the dust may actually replenish the ozone layer by reacting with ozone-destroying molecules. “Further research on this and similar methods could lead to reductions in risks and improved efficacy of solar geoengineering methods,” write the authors of the paper.

The exact amount of CaCO3 needed to cool the planet is unknown, and SCoPEx scientists similarly cannot confirm whether it is the best stratospheric aerosol for the job. Early research suggests that the substance has “near-ideal optical properties” that would allow it to absorb far less radiation that sulfate aerosols, causing significantly less stratospheric heating. This is the purpose of the experiment: once a safe, experimental amount of CaCO3 is released, the balloon will fly through it, sampling atmospheric reactions and recording resulting dynamics. Frank Keutsch, the project’s principal investigator, does not know what the results might bring. The perfect aerosol would not immediately tamper with stratospheric chemistry at all: “The only thing it would do is scatter maximum sunlight and hence cool down the planet.”

Proponents of geoengineering have cited the global cooling effects of volcanic eruptions that result from the introduction of sulfuric ash into the atmosphere. The 1815 eruption of Mount Tambora in Indonesia resulted in the “year without a summer,” while the 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines lowered global average temperatures by 0.5° C. Deliberate introduction of similar particles could potentially counter decades of greenhouse gas emissions. A report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change suggested the SCoPEx procedure could lower global temperatures by a full 1.5° C for no more than $1-10 billion a year.

Again, these temperature decreases bring with them serious risks. Freezing temperatures in 1815 led to failed crops in near-famine conditions. British scientists have cited stratospheric aerosols from volcanic eruptions in Alaska and Mexico as the potential cause of drought in Africa’s Sahel region. Major disruption of the global climate could bring unintended consequences, negatively impacting highly populated regions and engineering another refugee crisis.

David Keith has proposed the creation of a “risk pool” to compensate smaller nations for collateral damage caused by such tests, but such a payout might be little comfort to those displaced by unlivable conditions. The United States, Brazil, and Saudi Arabia blocked a 2019 United Nations assessment of global geoengineering plans. International cooperation will be required to assess the risks, winners, and losers of any such experiment, and how best to proceed with all in mind.

Considering the unknown risks attached to solar geoengineering, OECD members should continue in their efforts to develop economically attractive renewable energy technology, even as it supplements such efforts with limited and careful research and experimentation.
And this story is also found in other sources:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...un/ar-BB1coXrR
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...atosphere.html

Well this just validates all of the chemtrail conspiracy theorists...

Bill Gates backs plan to tackle climate change by blocking out the sun. Rob Waugh. August 13 2019. Yahoo!News

https://news.yahoo.com/bill-gates-ba...183601437.html
Quote:
It sounds like a wacky idea out of science-fiction - but it’s funded in part by billionaire Microsoft founder Bill Gates and backed by top scientists at Harvard University. The researchers believe that a fleet of specially-designed aircraft could spray sulfate particles into the lower stratosphere to cool down our planet and offset the effects of climate change.

A test of the technology has been proposed for this year, the Daily Mail reports, with the Stratospheric Controlled Perturbation Experiment (SCoPEx) seeing a bag of carbonate dust released into the atmosphere 12 miles up. If that experiment proves successful, the researchers will move on to releasing the dust from planes.

The researchers suggest that jets flying 12 miles up would complete over 60,000 missions in 15 years, starting with a fleet of eight and moving up to 100 planes.

At present, there are no aircraft capable of doing this, so they would need to be developed. The Harvard researchers have claimed that, if it were launched this year, it would cost about $3.5 billion (£2.74 billion), plus $2.25 billion (£1.76 billion) per year.

The scientists said last year: ‘Dozens of countries would have both the expertise and the money to launch such a program.

The Harvard researchers have claimed that, if it were launched this year, it would cost about $3.5 billion (£2.74 billion), plus $2.25 billion (£1.76 billion) per year. The scientists said last year: ‘Dozens of countries would have both the expertise and the money to launch such a program.

The idea of ‘solar geo-engineering’ or solar radiation management (SRM) is controversial, mimicking the world-chilling effects of huge volcanic eruptions. Some scientists have suggested that such technology could be used as a ‘stop gap’ to reduce temperatures, while measures to limit CO2 emissions are put in place. But others have suggested that when the SRM was withdrawn, it could lead to rapid global warming in a phenomenon known as ‘termination shock’.
Uh...this is strange, that with Bill Gates being the biggest farmland owner in the United States. Umm, what is he trying to devise here?
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:18 AM   #2
Sumac
Banned

Does anyone remembers last episode of the TV show called Dinosaurus?
Or that episode of Simpsons, where Burns used device to obscure the sun in the Springfield?
Is Gates trying to become a real life supervillain / guy who killed humanity?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:37 AM   #3
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Does anyone remembers last episode of the TV show called Dinosaurus?
Or that episode of Simpsons, where Burns used device to obscure the sun in the Springfield?
Is Gates trying to become a real life supervillain / guy who killed humanity?
I member the Simpsons episode.
Having too much money really can drive a person mad.
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:16 AM   #5
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikWolferson View Post
I member the Simpsons episode.
Having too much money really can drive a person mad.
The worst part he might thing he is "on the right side of history".
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #6
mrmaczaps
Banned

Gates doesn't need to dim the sun. God will be doing that soon enough. Revelation says so.

Course if you don't believe the Bible, you'll think the Lunatic Left just pulls tnis sh¡t out of their collective butts. Lol

Bet Gates doesn't believe it either but he's read it... Even the devil knows God wins.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Okay, Gates, calm down.

This big idea might be well intentioned and he might believe he has the kind of money to make a difference (here and elsewhere), unlike, I guess, the rest of us not among his ilk, financially speaking, that are poor in comparison, but the health and state of our planet and local environments really needs to be the responsibility of all people, in whatever way an individual is themselves capable of being considerate of those things, not just one rich guy with some big scheme to alter something that doesn't specifically belong only to him.

This, to use a TMNT reference (and was unable to find a gif of it), is OotS Raph throwing the vial of mutagen at the wall before anyone else has a chance to speak.

If people of the future are to the point that a drastic step like that is needed, then so be it. No harm in having these ideas that people might be able to consider in the future if they need to. But humanity is still able to make an impact on its own without having to go to those measures. I get the intention of acting now to prevent possibly ever needing it later, but it still seems rather premature.

As for the chemtrail people... I just see them as people who aught to just be easily ignored. They're about as nutty and their thoughts as "valid" as that woman who got upset over the rainbow she saw in her garden hose water. I'm sure these people have other strengths they can contribute, but understanding the world around them is not one of them.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #8
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Gates doesn't need to dim the sun. God will be doing that soon enough. Revelation says so.

Course if you don't believe the Bible, you'll think the Lunatic Left just pulls tnis sh¡t out of their collective butts. Lol

Bet Gates doesn't believe it either but he's read it... Even the devil knows God wins.
You got an actual date for that?
Old 04-12-2021, 11:39 AM   #9
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikWolferson View Post
You got an actual date for that?
About halfway through the 2nd half of the Great Tribulation.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #10
Coola Yagami
Overlord

So.... Is someone gonna donate a few bullets to Mr Gates?

I mean are we really gonna just.... Stand around and do nothing?

Imagine a movie where the villain got a doomsday device and literally everyone is just 'wow, well that's something, huh?' or 'eh, whatcha gonna do, right?' and like let him do it. No hero, no army, nothing. Just the world hears about it and pretty much loligags until the villain in complete disbelief finally presses the button.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #11
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Last edited by sdp; 04-12-2021 at 12:09 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:25 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

I initially was just scrolling and at a glance I read this as "Bill Gates Wants Dim Sum."

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:55 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Highlander 2." That was literally the whole plot of it (people of Earth creating a forcefield around the planet to shade the sun), and then trying to destroy it because it was a cover up by corporations.

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:53 PM   #14
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Because people worked hard to forget Highlander 2.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:54 PM   #15
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
About halfway through the 2nd half of the Great Tribulation.
Was that the next Tuesday or the one after?
Old 04-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

I saw this Simpsons episode.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:26 PM   #17
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Highlander 2." That was literally the whole plot of it (people of Earth creating a forcefield around the planet to shade the sun), and then trying to destroy it because it was a cover up by corporations.

Never watched it, but what an odd plot device to build a Highlander story around...
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:28 PM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, I've still only ever seen the first Highlander. Kind of afraid of the other ones.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:34 PM   #19
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, I've still only ever seen the first Highlander. Kind of afraid of the other ones.
There should have been only one.

I'll see myself out.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:39 PM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

That was a good jab.

Tags
bill gates, chemtrails, global warming