The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-15-2024, 06:37 PM   #21
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Not happening as they are gonna do spinoff comics, and those characters can easily get there own spinoffs, If Jennika can get her own spinoff, so can Alopex.
Yeah, Jenny's not going anywhere. There's a pb collection of her minis and intro issues out in June and an action figure later this year too.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 06:40 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

When they say spinoffs I assume they just mean short mini-series like we've always been getting. Jennika for example got a 6-issue mini-series shortly after issue 100. But they could still be kept out of the main series especially if the writer doesn't want to use them. Depends how many mini's that IDW can put out at once.

Also Sophie is still reassuring everyone on her twitter in her replies that IDW TMNT is not getting a reboot. I assume she's correct, since she obviously has more insider knowledge than anyone else at the moment. Weirdly Tom Waltz hasn't made any comment on his twitter, he's just promoting The Last Ronin Part 2 there.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 08:18 PM   #23
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

As someone who really enjoyed and owns his entire run of Thor. I think Jason Aaron will do well on Turtles. I also have his Doctor Strange Omnibus.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:29 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
When they say spinoffs I assume they just mean short mini-series like we've always been getting. Jennika for example got a 6-issue mini-series shortly after issue 100. But they could still be kept out of the main series especially if the writer doesn't want to use them. Depends how many mini's that IDW can put out at once.

Also Sophie is still reassuring everyone on her twitter in her replies that IDW TMNT is not getting a reboot. I assume she's correct, since she obviously has more insider knowledge than anyone else at the moment. Weirdly Tom Waltz hasn't made any comment on his twitter, he's just promoting The Last Ronin Part 2 there.
IDW TMNT is continuing. No Vol. 2 announced yet. New minis to come. None of this is a reboot.

<---- All of these things can be true.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:46 AM   #25
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
His DC work is more sporadic and the Action Comics run seems to be the first long-term title commitment to DC.]
He's only on AC for a handful of issues. Action Comics reportedly no longer has a permanent writer and DC don't know when they'll assign one.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:40 AM   #26
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Weirdly, no writers want a mutant turtle villain. Many hacks still want a fifth core ninja turtle.
TheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:58 AM   #27
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLabRat View Post
Weirdly, no writers want a mutant turtle villain. Many hacks still want a fifth core ninja turtle.
Of course, fifth Turtle would allow them to cement their status in the history of the franchise. Generic Turtle villain would not.
That's what people without a talent do!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:49 AM   #28
TurtleGurkle
Random Punk

Jason Aaron + a relaunch should bring in a lot of new readers. Wonder who the artist is?
TurtleGurkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:20 AM   #29
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Confirmation that Aaron is taking over and the numbering will reset:

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/te...son-aaron-idw/

Also gives us a clearer timeline:

Jan: #147
Feb: #148
Mar: #149, UDFC #1
Apr: #150, UDFC #2, FCBD
May: UDFC #3
Jun: Vol.2 - Alpha #1, UDFC #4
Jul: Vol.2 #1, UDFC #5

Last edited by hypered1; 01-16-2024 at 10:27 AM.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:23 AM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
Well, there you go. There's your Vol. 2, #1 announcement. And it's preceded by an Alpha #1 special? That sure reminds me of the "Age of Apocalypse."

And maybe this dude is going to be A-OK.

"Especially for me, a kid who first fell in love with the Turtles all those years ago because of that original Mirage Studios series, buying those groundbreaking issues fresh off the rack, comics that kicked you in the face with their action-packed grit and gloriously raw attitude."

Hey, that's music to my ears.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:28 AM   #31
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"Especially for me, a kid who first fell in love with the Turtles all those years ago because of that original Mirage Studios series, buying those groundbreaking issues fresh off the rack, comics that kicked you in the face with their action-packed grit and gloriously raw attitude."

Hey, that's music to my ears.
Keep in mind, though: they all claim to be longtime fans, whether that is true or not, in order to get the job. And these modern writers are always thinking of ways to “fix” the past, like inserting their own ideology into the storyline or retconning certain things that are considered “problematic”.

So don’t get your hopes up
Old 01-16-2024, 10:38 AM   #32
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

If you want to see what Aaron can do, read Scalped. It’s gritty, raw and tons of fun. Main character even wields nunchucks.

This has much potential. Can’t wait to see who they bring on as artist. Hopefully they didn’t break the bank on Aaron. I get the hesitation surrounding him given the culture wars and Aaron’s arguable involvement in some of that. It’s a big can of worms that I don’t feel like opening, but I do get those worries. He has the talent and he understands the TMNT so this could go either way.

It’s exciting to see that they are putting so much faith in the TMNT brand at IDW. Even as someone who hasn’t read the ongoing for years, I think they continue to do a fantastic job with the license. There’s been something for everyone at this point.

Last edited by BornAgain; 01-16-2024 at 10:43 AM.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:44 AM   #33
Shargor
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Keep in mind, though: they all claim to be longtime fans, whether that is true or not, in order to get the job. And these modern writers are always thinking of ways to “fix” the past, like inserting their own ideology into the storyline or retconning certain things that are considered “problematic”.

So don’t get your hopes up
Well, to be frank, Aaron is too big of a name for TMNT, and I don't believe that IDW can meet his regular rate. So yeah, in this case I believe that in order to convince him working on a new series, he has to be a fan.
Shargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:52 AM   #34
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shargor View Post
Well, to be frank, Aaron is too big of a name for TMNT, and I don't believe that IDW can meet his regular rate. So yeah, in this case I believe that in order to convince him working on a new series, he has to be a fan.
Seth Rogen is a big name too, but he obviously knows squat about TMNT yet he was hired to produce the next movie, and the heap of garbage that is Mutant Mayhem was what we got from him. All you have to do is play with the toys in the 80s and poof, you’re qualified for the job.

At this point, I’d trust lesser known people like Andrew to write the new comic series. Shoot, even fanfic writers could provide better material.
Old 01-16-2024, 10:59 AM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's weird how they confirm this is set in the same IDW universe yet from everything he says it feels like he wants to start things off fresh.

Like Shredder is at the moment a reformed "good guy" in IDW and is currently in Dimension X. If he wants to use Shredder he has to continue off from that. And also Splinter is dead, I hope he doesn't do something like bring Splinter back to life.

IDW has already used like 95% of all important TMNT characters in some fashion.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:01 AM   #36
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
And also Splinter is dead, I hope he doesn't do something like bring Splinter back to life.
As a longtime comic reader, you should know by now that they always come back.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:05 AM   #37
Shargor
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Seth Rogen is a big name too, but he obviously knows squat about TMNT yet he was hired to produce the next movie, and the heap of garbage that is Mutant Mayhem was what we got from him. All you have to do is play with the toys in the 80s and poof, you’re qualified for the job.

At this point, I’d trust lesser known people like Andrew to write the new comic series. Shoot, even fanfic writers could provide better material.
First of all, Seth Rogen is not in the same category in Hollywood, as Aaron in comic industry. Michael Bay is a better comparison, but he didn't direct movies himself.

Also, TMNT as a comic property never had BIG names behind it on the long run. I mean, it's hard to expect for Jonathan Hickman or Jim Lee to work on TMNT ongoing.

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about quality, cause Aaron has as many stinkers as masterpieces, but he is a really big name. Like suitable for Big Two main ongoings name. And I don't remember when else TMNT has this big of a name behind it. So yeah, I believe, that he has to be a fan. It doesn't guarantee success, but it's better that he is than if he wasn't.

Last edited by Shargor; 01-16-2024 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:10 AM   #38
Shargor
Thug

Quote:
It's weird how they confirm this is set in the same IDW universe yet from everything he says it feels like he wants to start things off fresh.

Like Shredder is at the moment a reformed "good guy" in IDW and is currently in Dimension X. If he wants to use Shredder he has to continue off from that. And also Splinter is dead, I hope he doesn't do something like bring Splinter back to life.

IDW has already used like 95% of all important TMNT characters in some fashion.
It's a good point of worry, cause Jason is from Big 2 background where it's normal to ignore all previous events for your own run. So I hope editors will guide him accordingly.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:12 AM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

Considering he already signed a contract he must either be willing to work for lower pay for IDW or they're paying him a lot to come to the series and increase sales. I don't know how much comic writers get paid but I imagine it'll be 5 times whatever Sophie made as a monthly writer.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:13 AM   #40
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shargor View Post
And I don't remember when else TMNT has this big of a name behind it.
Unless you count the one panel of Turtle Soup that Jack Kirby drew