The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your Turtical Party?
Eastmancratic: Any new TMNT is fine no matter how weird it is! 3 9.09%
Lairdian: The TMNT must strictly be distinct and follow the proper code 3 9.09%
Moderate Eastmancratic: Its good to try new ideas, but let's not make them too farfetched 14 42.42%
Moderate Lairdian: I prefer order, but I'd like something fresh to keep it interesting 5 15.15%
Centrist: A good balance works best! 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
pannoni1
Foot Elite

Are you an Eastmancratic, a Lairdian, or in between?

Knowing that Kevin Eastman is the much more tolerant creator compared to Peter Laird who prefers to follow a strict rubric, we really have a spectrum of beliefs with regards to the TMNT property. Us fans can also feel the same, though we can all be somewhere in between. Please vote and explain what made your decision with regards to being a Eastmancratic or a Lairdian.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!

Last edited by pannoni1; 08-25-2012 at 04:41 AM.
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Logan
Hench Mutant

I'll compare my thoughts on Eastman and Laird as I would to The Beatles; they make good stuff on their own, but they will never make stuff as great as when they were together.

-Leonardo

Logan the Layman Critic, a youtube channel for movie reviews and animation appreciation.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjn...xrKPml1WlYh6Mw
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'll compare my thoughts on Eastman and Laird as I would to The Beatles; they make good stuff on their own, but they will never make stuff as great as when they were together.
As a Beatles fan I like the comparison. It really is unfortunate that we'll most likely never see them put their differences behind them and rekindle their partnership.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

This isn't clever, it's just ridiculous. I don't even know how to properly vote. Wrong section too.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Viacomdependent.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
Viacomdependent.
Well played sir.

Green Machine Party myself.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Genesis
Stone Warrior

Aha, I see what you did there, Sir Jester.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Allergictobullsh*tcratic.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-27-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
Gyt Kaliba
Stone Warrior

I'd have to say, of the actual poll choices, that I'm a 'Moderate Eastmancratic'. As I said in another thread, I think that the reason the Turtles work well in most mediums is because of the magic between the two of them back in the day...but Eastman seems much more approachable and willing to try new stuff.

Based on all I've heard, it seems like if it had been up to Laird entirely, we'd only have the Mirage comics and nothing else. A cult-following comic (one I'd love to read more of, but still) that never gets to end properly due to the author's indecision? I doubt I'd be a Turtles fan if that was all there was to it. It's because of all the other incarnations that Eastman seems more enthused about that I'm even interested in those original comics.

That said though, Eastman really could stand to be a little more strict on his 'baby' as it were. Next Mutation...the upcoming movie...both are things he should have thought a little harder on before signing off for them to go forward.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Heh, I like this comparison as well. I'm a Beatles nut.

As for this poll...I prefer Laird, I think his vision is clearer and I prefer a more orderly approach to TMNT. However, I have to say that you're exaggerating to an extent with your choices. Laird isn't some drill-sergeant, you know. He let plently of things stir in the creativeness that was the 2k3. Maybe by principle he kept them logical and reasonable, but he still let a lot of things change in that series.

Just because Laird isn't of the mind that mostly everything about TMNT reimagined is "cool" doesn't mean he NEVER bends. Laird may be comparable to a sturdy tree who lets his branches sway in the wind; Eastman strikes me as the leaves as they fall: they go where they may.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
ZariusTwo
Overlord

No real fan would ever make us choose.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #12
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Centrist

Centrist. After TMNT has been around in so many medias for so many years now.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
Genesis
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
No real fan would ever make us choose.
Luckily, no one's making anyone do anything. It's not like you'll be perma-banned if you don't vote in a mostly irrelevant poll.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
TMNT-Collector
Foot Soldier

i think credit must be given to both equally, without one i dont think the turtles would have made it as far as they have and still be such a successful franchise, they may have died out a long time ago, i do love the fact that eastman is still involved with the IDW series, i think they are doing a great job with it
TMNT-Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

I voted Moderately Eastmancratic. Nothing wrong with trying new things with the characters, even if they can't all be winners.

Although it isn't like Peter Laird hasn't experimented too. Volume 4 was a major shift in the TMNT formula, with the aliens making themselves known.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #16
Vivi
Mad Scientist

I lean towards Laird. Light shines brightest in the dark.
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #17
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I don't exactly know who was involved with what, when it comes to adaptations.

But it's my understanding that Laird was involved with TMNT without Eastman, and I know Eastman works on the IDW series without Laird. That's really my only frame of reference as to what one would do without the input of the other.

And as many liberties as the IDW series has taken, I'm in love with it. And, honestly, I didn't hate the leaked script.

I feel like the turtles have been re-imagined and reinterpreted so many times, that I'm willing to give just about anything a shot.

I guess that makes me an Eastman.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyt Kaliba View Post
Based on all I've heard, it seems like if it had been up to Laird entirely, we'd only have the Mirage comics and nothing else. A cult-following comic (one I'd love to read more of, but still) that never gets to end properly due to the author's indecision? I doubt I'd be a Turtles fan if that was all there was to it. It's because of all the other incarnations that Eastman seems more enthused about that I'm even interested in those original comics.
I don't think that's true. Remember Laird gave us the 2k3 series and the 2k7 film.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #19
Lance_Steele
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyt Kaliba View Post
I'd have to say, of the actual poll choices, that I'm a 'Moderate Eastmancratic'. As I said in another thread, I think that the reason the Turtles work well in most mediums is because of the magic between the two of them back in the day...but Eastman seems much more approachable and willing to try new stuff.

That said though, Eastman really could stand to be a little more strict on his 'baby' as it were. Next Mutation...the upcoming movie...both are things he should have thought a little harder on before signing off for them to go forward.
I agree.

I wouldn't have heard of the mirage comics either had I not have watched the OT. I was only a toddler when #1 came out. Even still I was a grade school when the OT was out and I didn't read comic books like that until I reached Middle school. The OT and the Movie helped a lot. And yeah, Eastman should have put more effort into Next Mutation. I didn't hate Venus, but I hated the cornball gags that were in it.

Warning! Objects in mirror are closer than they appear...
Lance_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kevin eastman, peter laird