The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-25-2022, 01:23 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Speed Racer (Apple TV+) From JJ Abrams & Bad Robot

Quote:
Apple TV+ is prepping Speed Racer, a high-profile live-action series from J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot and Warner Bros. Television where the company is under a deal.

Details are sketchy but I hear the project, written by Hiram Martinez (Snowpiercer) and Ron Fitzgerald (Westworld), is going back to the original source material and is a life-action take on the classic 1960s manga series.

I hear the series is now staffing a writers room, with Martinez and Fitzgerald as executive producers/co-showrunners.

Speed Racer, a Japanese media franchise about automobile racing, first launched as a manga series titled Mach GoGoGo by Tatsuo Yoshida in 1966. Trans-Lux acquired syndication rights and Speed Racer was adapted into anime by Tatsunoko Productions, which aired on Japan’s Fuji TV from 1967-1968 and aired in the U.S. in syndication at about the same time.

The show’s mainstream success in the U.S. spawned an ongoing Speed Racer franchise beginning in the 1990s, which ranged from comics, video releases, merchandise, a live-action film, and series.

On television, The New Adventures of Speed Racer, a U.S. produced reboot of the original series, premiered in 1993 and aired for one 13-episode season. It was followed in 2008 by Speed Racer: The Next Generation which was released on Nicktoons and later revived on MTV, Cartoon Network and Boomerang.

The Wachowskis wrote and directed a live-action film adaptation of Speed Racer, which was released in 2008. The Apple series has no connection to that, I hear.

Bad Robot has a long-standing relationship at Apple where the company has produced several series to date, Stephen King adaptation Lisey’s Story, starring Julianne Moore; Sara Bareilles’ Little Voice; and the upcoming My Glory Was I Had Such Friends, toplined by Jennifer Garner.

Denise Petski contributed to this report
https://deadline.com/2022/05/speed-r...us-1235032611/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:40 PM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Kinda funny to think the big-budget Hollywood SR reboot was almost... 15 years ago.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:08 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

And what a glorious masterpiece of filmmaking it was. Society's downhill slide began right at the exact moment that movie was ignored and dismissed by the common rabble.

Anyway. I'm intrigued, but J.J. Abrams? Ugh... we'll see, I guess. Sounds great on paper, but then everything does.

I'd love to see it turn out great, though. I f*cking love Speed Racer. My Mach 5 "M" tattoo gets a lot of attention... even though most people don't get it and I constantly have to explain it. It's funny, they know it's from "something" but they can never remember what until I tell them. And then they (rightly) feel stupid.

Anyways. We'll see. All the reboot cartoons have been awful and the all the comics past the NOW series in the 80s have been extremely hit-or-miss. So I'll be happy when I know it's worth it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote