The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-04-2021, 05:23 PM   #641
Galactus
Foot Elite

Not only am I glad that Grumpy Skeletor liked it but I love that Kevin Smith was aware of him and is happy a huge fans enjoyed his take on the franchise.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:24 AM   #642
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Not only am I glad that Grumpy Skeletor liked it but I love that Kevin Smith was aware of him and is happy a huge fans enjoyed his take on the franchise.
Grumpy who?
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #643
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Grumpy who?
Maybe he means Scare Glow....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #644
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Grumpy who?
Twitter cut up whose thing is that he he pretends to be Skeletor 'humorously' complaining about things and linking it back to MOTU. He always comes up with screen grabs from the Filmation series that strangely fit what he's tweeting about. His shtick can get old but he's brought a smile to my face more than a few times.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #645
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Twitter cut up whose thing is that he he pretends to be Skeletor 'humorously' complaining about things and linking it back to MOTU. He always comes up with screen grabs from the Filmation series that strangely fit what he's tweeting about. His shtick can get old but he's brought a smile to my face more than a few times.
Whose thing?
Old 08-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #646
Vegita-San
Emperor

this made me sad>>

Can he really go FULL Rian Johnson? I wonder if the voice actor for He-Man (Chris Wood) might've preferred the original premise for the series, pitched by Rob David (of Mattel), involving Adam having to pick up the pieces of Eternia, after He-Man's sword is broken-in-half, making it impossible for him to revert from Prince Adam back to He-Man...leaving him to find the hero within, in spite of not being able to be Eternia's champion. I'll bet, watching Prince Adam trying to help restore the magic of the universe, defeat the enemies of the kingdom, and get back his alternate self, with the aid of his friends (including esp. Teela!) and fellow-citizens, would have been WAY MORE enjoyable for the overall MOTU Fan base. But, in the idea room, Mr. Kevin Smith had to say, "Yeah, that's great. But, what if, instead of breaking the sword and separating the power of He-Man from Adam, we KILL HE-MAN?

>>

so much better an idea

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:00 PM   #647
Galactus
Foot Elite

I really don't get why this is such a big deal. Prince Adam and He-Man were dead for three out of five episodes. In those three episodes the theme is how much Eternia needs him. Even if we didn't already have it confirmed his second 'death' at the end of the fifth episode is a fake out and he'll be alive for the rest of the season/series surely no one thought he was really dead.

Maybe the writers should have lamp shaded the whole and showed Adam waking up in Preternia at the end of the first episode and being greeted by the other Warriors of He as a major clue his part of the story wasn't over. Then again the audience that would watch something like this shouldn't need that level of hand holding. Anyone that would want to watch a show like will have seen this same story play out hundreds of time in similar franchises.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #648
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
I really don't get why this is such a big deal.
It's a big deal to everyone because it's SJW Woke $#!(. The criticism of least resistance for angry, scared people is that "there isn't enough He-Man in it" and so they say that instead of weaving the more coherent and poignant argument as to how woke, nonsense themes overran their I.P.

As for why you don't understand this? I can only speculate. It's possible that you can't see it either because you are either too obtuse to read between the lines of the criticisms, or maybe you simp for this kind of content due to headmath "xyz".

You don't have to agree with all of the criticism and anger about the show, but to "not get why" it's there I think diminished anything you have to say in it's defense entirely.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:07 AM   #649
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
this made me sad>>

Can he really go FULL Rian Johnson? I wonder if the voice actor for He-Man (Chris Wood) might've preferred the original premise for the series, pitched by Rob David (of Mattel), involving Adam having to pick up the pieces of Eternia, after He-Man's sword is broken-in-half, making it impossible for him to revert from Prince Adam back to He-Man...leaving him to find the hero within, in spite of not being able to be Eternia's champion. I'll bet, watching Prince Adam trying to help restore the magic of the universe, defeat the enemies of the kingdom, and get back his alternate self, with the aid of his friends (including esp. Teela!) and fellow-citizens, would have been WAY MORE enjoyable for the overall MOTU Fan base. But, in the idea room, Mr. Kevin Smith had to say, "Yeah, that's great. But, what if, instead of breaking the sword and separating the power of He-Man from Adam, we KILL HE-MAN?

>>

so much better an idea
The problem with this is, they've done several stories across multiple media where the Power Sword is either lost or destroyed and then Adam has to either get by without it or eventually find/restore it or both. Both Filmation and the DC Comics run, which "Revelation" borrows a lot from, prominently utilized some variation of that as a storytelling device.

So essentially, it's a redundant storyline for the character. The only thing significantly different would be the higher quality of the artwork and animation compared to the Filmation cartoon or the DC comic book. But it would still be a storyline we've seen with this character at least twice before.

One of the stated goals of the "Revelation" project was to "raise the stakes", and that implies something that hasn't been done on a grand scale before with the property. And that pretty much just leaves you with, "Kill He-Man". Any other method of de-powering or sidelining him, even temporarily, has been done before and would therefore be on some level a retread. Whereas the only time he's ever effectively been "killed" was in the Thundercats cross-over comic, where he got better in about one issue so it kinda doesn't count.

It all goes back to the thinking of "When taking over a well-established property, you don't want to be redundant or do a lot of things that have already been done repeatedly with the same character(s)." Now, the whole "kill the hero and showcase the secondary cast" gimmick has become a trope all its own, sure; but it hasn't been done with THIS franchise, is the thing.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:30 AM   #650
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

The CGI series is being released September 16th

NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:41 AM   #651
mrmaczaps
Banned

Well.... that looks... not for me. Lame. So Adam got the power by accident & theft? And he can share it like Shazam, with his friends? Wtf.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #652
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Remove he-man and I really like the character designs if this show was called anything else I'd be interested in it. It looks like a cool sci-fi world. However that voice acting, it kills it. Whats up with modern voice acting , it's so generic so... souless. All the CG animated shows have the same pixar like faces and voice acting it's so tiring.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #653
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
The CGI series is being released September 16th

Looks like Mr. Incredible.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #654
ZariusTwo
Overlord

A mix of Blade Runner/Trollhunters/Clone Wars/Power Rangers...plus He-Man actually doing things front and centre. I don't see a downside....so far anyway.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #655
newfan
Mad Scientist

For some reason I thought this was going to be a Nick show, although the shows are different in tone and target a different audience, I wonder how much bearing each might have on the other continuing/being renewed for more seasons.

Edit: Might just be how he looked in that small clip but did Orka look a little robotic to anyone?

Last edited by newfan; 08-19-2021 at 11:06 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:58 AM   #657
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Found the voice cast list on He-Man.org

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE - Erste offizielle Produktionsfotos von Netflix

YURI LOWENTHAL as ADAM/HE-MAN

DAVID KAYE as CRINGER/BATTLE CAT

FRED TATASCIORE as KING RANDOR

ANTONY DEL RIO as DUNCAN/MAN-AT-ARMS,

TOM KENNY as ORK-O

JUDY ALICE LEE as KRASS/RAM MA'AM

KIMBERLY BROOKS as TEELA/SORCERESS

BEN DISKIN as PRINCE KELDOR/SKELETOR

GREY GRIFFIN as EVELYN/EVIL-LYN

TREVOR DEVALL as R'QAZZ/BEAST MAN

ROGER CRAIG SMITH as KRONIS/TRAP JAW
Old 08-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #658
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

I think it’s a fun new take. It has enough motu dna to be recognizable as something motu but def a new. I hope the kids love it.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #659
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Official Press Release

Quote:
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, produced by Mattel Television™ and premiering globally on September 16 on Netflix, brings a fresh stylized take on the world of Eternia, designed to reflect the sensibilities and aspirations of today’s kids, while celebrating the evergreen core truth of Masters of the Universe: we all have the power to become the best version of ourselves.
Here’s what you can expect to see:

A Classic Story for a New Audience – Everything that made the original great is baked into this series’ DNA: the ultimate hero, the love-to-hate villain, the deep mythology, the fantasy mixed with sci-fi, the valiant allies and great henchmen, and the comic relief. In He-Man and the Masters of the Universe we take it all for a fresh spin, bringing kids a breathtaking world where battles are truly earth-shattering, where a wizard is actually a robot with a magic wand and an AI identity crisis, and most importantly…where the heroes saving the universe are a team of kids just like them.

Reimagining Old Friends – This new telling is not about instant heroes. It’s a coming-of-age story, led by an ensemble cast of teens and one talking tiger, each still figuring out who they are as they journey together toward Mastery. When we first meet Adam, he’s just a 16-year-old kid with a lot of heart but zero experience as a leader; his best friend Krass is a hot-headed smart aleck masking her search for belonging; young Duncan is a brilliant inventor struggling to come into his own; Cringer is clawless tiger yearning to prove his mettle; and Teela is a fledgling mystic with more questions (and spirit) than answers.

When young Adam does the extraordinary and shares the Power of Grayskull among them, they unlock their greatest gifts to become He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. As they each begin to know themselves, together they’re becoming not just a team of heroes, but a family. Now all they have to do is take down Skeletor and his evil forces before he turns their planet into a grave new world.

A Fresh Look – He-Man and the Masters of the Universe retains MOTU’s iconic vision of an alien fantasy planet where science and magic coexist, while revolutionizing the aesthetic to create a stunning, expansive, and future-forward world. Co-executive Producer Jeff Matsuda’s (The Batman, TMNT) amazing design skills, in partnership with our studios – House of Cool (Trollhunters) and CGCG (Star Wars: The Clone Wars) – have brought MOTU’s look into cutting-edge, best-in-class CG animation for the very first time.

Universal Themes for All Ages – Masters of the Universe is remembered for its meaningful life-lessons and empowering themes. The heart of MOTU is all about becoming the best version of yourself, and He-Man and the Masters of the Universe dives deep into what that means for kids today. We explore perseverance, teamwork, leadership, friendship, and believing in yourself – all themes that are critical for growing up…and changing the world. We ALL have the power!

https://corporate.mattel.com/news/ma...n-september-16
Old 08-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #660
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I hope it's a success and that kids like it. It will dramatically increase our chances of finally getting a new MOTU live action film which they keep juggling in development hell and never moving forward with.

Anyway with the MOTU rights going totally to Universal in 2023 (except movie rights, still with Sony) this is unlikely to get a 2nd season no matter how well it does. Maybe I'm wrong because I don't work in that industry and don't know exactly how those deals are made, but it makes sense to me that Universal would want to move forward with their own projects instead of working with Netflix.

I understand that Revelation was either a mixed bag or disappointing (the first part, at least) for a lot of adult fans... but this is their kid-focused series, and it has to attract that audience, not us. I'm all for that, as it's how the brand moves on. So I wish it the best, and I will be checking it out with that mindset.

I wish people could think about it that way in those terms before immediately rushing to that Dislike button.

There WILL be MOTU stuff made for adults going forward. Let them do what they think they need to do to attract kids as well and stop hating on it without good reason.

Last edited by Zulithe; 08-19-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote