The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-04-2021, 03:26 AM   #141
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The finale run time is said to be 50 minutes plus credits. That likely means just 40 minutes for the overall thing.

Yeah, I think this would have been a far better direct-to-stream movie than something episodic. A lot of this just isn't going to age well, as much as I was raving about it at one point, I now find my mind changing a lot on it. Once the novelty wears off and everything's answered, this latest theme park ride feels hollow and nothing of value has really been learned or gained. All the interesting bits have just been teases. The sitcom sequences should have been better integrated with the perspectives outside of Westview. How Monica gets her powers also feels very lazily inserted.

Doesn't help most of the acting is phoned in or atrocious.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:34 AM   #142
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I don't think it would have worked as well as a movie, given the nature of the episodes all being different, and the literal sitcom "epeisodes" featured as the premise of how she created the world to work. Darcy and Wu even made mention of that quirk of her pocket world, that it was being broadcast as if it were an actual show. A movie would have made that entire concept harder to accept, and be more jarringly disconnected in the flow.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:22 AM   #143
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Knew the MCU would **** the bed again after the last couple of weeks. Why people honestly still go to bat them for continuously insulting their intelligence is beyond me.

Spoiler:
Once again, the time honoured traditions of these things turning out to be nothing but trailers for the next thing continue...I don't care about Captain Marvel 2 or Secret Invasion hints as they're years away.

Really annoyed at how little a role the supporting cast all played at the end. Monica saves the kids from a few bullets, sure, Jimmy calls in Quantico and all see are a bunch of vans pull up. Darcie only gets one scene and ONE line...and then that's it, she's not even in the debriefing in the mid-credits scene, just referenced.

They sure were 'dicks' with that 'Boner' joke...Futurama did this better with the I.C Weiner in their pilot. And Bonner's one weakness is Lisa Simpson's beads?

So I like the set up of the kids being put to bed and you get this forboding sense of dread that this is a neat'n'clean way of handling their death...but then we hear them cry out for help at the end, indicating their souls are still alive. I'm not too familair with Children's Crusade which brought them back, is there a connection to that storyline here?

Agatha is another jabronie MCU villain,...we don't find out who she's working for or what her motivations truly are for wanting all the power Wanda possesses (unless it's "power for it's own sake") , there's no other agenda, and it's the finale yet she's still horribly vague in describing what Wanda has unleashed.

The best thing about the episode was the Vision on Vision clash...lots of tightly paced action that ends with a clever philosophical solution that sets up Vision for future appearances
Old 03-05-2021, 05:05 AM   #144
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm moooostly satisfied with the bigger plot points.

But...

Spoiler:
* So "Fietro"... we're not even going to get into him at all? Was he plucked from another universe, or was the actor just coincidence? Someone in the town just happened to look exactly like the actor that plays Pietro in the Singerverse, then (for now)? Nothing. Lame. I'd kind of rather they just not have had him at all, then.

* All the Vision stuff and no big payoff at the end. So the payoff in... something else? Mmmmh.

* Wanda realizes she can bring people back from the dead... but doesn't actually bring anybody back from the dead?

* Agatha goes back to being Agnes the prying neighbor... but in what? The actual town with the Wanda altered reality removed where she doesn't have a house? So basically... just a confused homeless person? We needed one more scene at the end with her.

* No Mephisto, no deals with Mephisto, no bringing back real Pietro, no full on reveals of other universes (the Fox-Men, etc.) but not even small stuff with even middling clarity? Lame!

* Darcy! Wow. A brief momentary cameo this episode and that's it for her. No payoff or big final moment of any kind. She was just there. Randall Park's character gets only slightly more service here.

Yeah. Mostly this whole miniseries does seem like they had their rough plans for Doctor Strange 2 a while back and then built this as a runway of an afterthought to get to it. Probably this whole series will get barely 2 minutes of screentime's acknowledgement in the movie as it gets going in the first act. Doctor Strange will find her or vice versa and off they go on their adventure.

And yes, the nod to Secret Invasion. We all knew that was coming. But that was tacked on during the brainstorming of the former, for sure. Now we're going to get the Disney+ version of The Defenders, basically. Maybe with a handful of MCU A listers at least as cameos.

Spoiler:
And if they run into Vision in Strange 2, probably a line or two about "I'm feeling much better now" and that's it.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-05-2021 at 06:04 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:41 AM   #145
neatoman
Emperor

Is anyone else happy this show gave us a Bohner?
Spoiler:
But yeah, the twist sucks. I know it's probably the least confusing thing they could have done and I suspected that was where they were going, but still.

Anyway death is cheap.
Spoiler:
I'm not sure how to feel about Vision being restored. On one hand, it does kind of cheapen his death in Infinity War a bit, even if it was kind of pointless there. On the other hand, Endgame is sort of the start of the questionable elements of the comics ending up in the movies. That is to say, the parts that are really only there to restore aspects of the status quo. In many ways, the MCU has lasted so long this sort of thing was bound to creep in.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:50 AM   #146
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Spoiler:
Again, I never even wondered if Vision would survive Infinity War. They told us he would probably be OK without the stone in the same movie, even. I fully expected him to be in Endgame in a slightly weakened state... so that "Wandavision" now both presents him as DEAD dead and then with a convoluted resurrection seems both unnecessary and... odd, I guess?

But like... Endgame. He could have been there with Tony and everybody after the 5 year gap. Quick line about "If only Shuri could bring back Wanda like she brought me back" and I wouldn't have even winced. Shuri was like 10 seconds away from saving him anyway before Thanos' guard came in, let alone had she had 5 years to spare on the matter. I mean, yeah, Thanos ripped out the stone pretty messily, but that never struck me as the end of the world for him.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #147
AquaParade
Banned

I really loved the parting words from "fake vision" - "...Who knows what I might be next?"

Other then that, I thought it was pretty darn good, but not amazing. I think the show peaked mid-season, but I enjoyed it all the way through.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:32 AM   #148
CyberCubed
Overlord

The scenes putting the kids to bed if they died permanently would have been the best part of the episode. I know she only knew her kids for what...a week (?) and they aged up fast, but to her, they seemed real.

I'm glad she has the Scarlett Witch costume now. I do wonder if they can make her a villain even if she gets redeemed as usual.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #149
neatoman
Emperor

Why exactly would she become a villain right now? Like yeah sure, Agatha said "Something something prophecy, Something something destroy the world" but what motive would she have for doing it ASAP? What, is she just gonna join the Brotherhood and crash Asteroid M into earth the next time she shows up?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #150
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Scarlet Witch always dabbles in villainy for awhile, even if she's not really evil. She'll definitely be used as an "enemy" against the Avengers for at least a movie at some point.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:51 AM   #151
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm glad she has the Scarlett Witch costume now. I do wonder if they can make her a villain even if she gets redeemed as usual.
People keep saying this, and they probably will to some extent. Probably to a lesser degree in Dr. Strange 2 and that'll be that. I don't see her as ending up like the over-arching villain for Phase 4 or anything. Maybe she causes some trouble with the X-Men or something.

Also, I've been hearing a lot that maybe the plans they had for the finale were thwarted by COVID. Like, that's about when they got shut down, and getting people like Kat Dennings back wasn't possible when they resumed (hence the bit of dodgy "face" work when she rams the SWORD guy with her vehicle, and that "Darcy Stunt Double" is credited).
Old 03-06-2021, 08:58 AM   #152
CyberCubed
Overlord

Is Elizabeth Olsen now more popular than Mary-kate and Ashley? Probably not in their prime, but she's getting there.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:46 AM   #153
SS Kakarot
Mad Scientist

Watched this every week and saw the finale yesterday. Gotta say, I did not enjoy it all.

I don't understand the hype and all the positive reactions this series got. I really like (most of) the MCU movies, but this... no words.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm glad this is over. I hope Falcon & The Winter Soldier will be much, much better!
SS Kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #154
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Is Elizabeth Olsen now more popular than Mary-kate and Ashley? Probably not in their prime, but she's getting there.
She's way more talented then they are. All the Olsen Twins got was a TV show and they haven't done anything relevant since then. Meanwhile Elizabeth Olsen is doing extremely well with her acting gigs, and being a part of one of the biggest comic movie franchises in history.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:03 PM   #155
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Kakarot View Post
Watched this every week and saw the finale yesterday. Gotta say, I did not enjoy it all.

I don't understand the hype and all the positive reactions this series got. I really like (most of) the MCU movies, but this... no words.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm glad this is over. I hope Falcon & The Winter Soldier will be much, much better!
I thought all the sit-com stuff was very funny. I'm surprised how much they nailed the 50's, 60/70's and 80's time periods. Everything with the way the characters looked and acted was spot on.

I honestly felt like I was traveling through time watching it. I somehow was nostalgic for decades I never even lived in.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #156
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
somehow was nostalgic for decades I never even lived in.
Just shows you that you don't know s*it about those sitcoms then. They didn't 'nail' them at all, and the acting was atrocious
Old 03-07-2021, 05:44 PM   #157
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Actually, he's not really wrong. I was getting some very strong "I Love Lucy/Leave It to Beaver" vibes off of the first episode, along with some Bewitched, Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, and a few others off of the second and third ones. The 80's era one was very Family Ties. Each episode was very reminiscent of shows of its era, with a heavy dose of Twilight Zone or Tales From the Dark Side sprinkled in. Loved that aspect, which seemed to keep going right up to the current time, almost like Wanda was living completely through the shows she remembered from her childhood.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:55 PM   #158
IMJ
Emperor

The could still pay off the Quicksilver thing in Dr. Strange by revealing that Agatha used that particular guy because she felt through the multi-verse that he is the Quicksilver of another universe.

I mean that's the short of it, but there are ways. It is pretty ridiculous to go the route they went though, but overall the show was really good.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #159
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My review... as a puppet!

Old 05-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #160
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Doctor Strange was written out of Wandavision

Quote:
The mysterious "commercials" for fictional products like Toast Mate, the Strücker Watch, and Hydra Soak were initially intended as messages to Wanda from Strange, as the good Doctor tried to pierce her illusionary sitcom reality. Marvel even finalized a deal with Cumberbatch to appear in the season's final episode.
https://movieweb.com/doctor-strange-...ion-explained/