Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Now that we know Vol. 4 will be wrapped up in 6 more issues

Most people have read this already, but just posting the quote again:

Quote:
ENI: Looking to the future can you tell us what you have in store for TMNT, what comic book projects do you have planned?

Peter: I prefer not to give too much away regarding upcoming projects, but I will say that I hope to wrap up TMNT Vol. 4 in about six more issues.
Given the rate Pete gets new issues out, we could be waiting till 2010 or later before Volume 4 finally ends.

Anycase, do you think Mirage Publishing will take another "break" from the comics scene after Vol. 4 ends? We've heard similar rumblings about Tales possibly ending at some point too, so what do you think?

I think it would be a good time for the comic franchise to take a rest period to recharge before trying to start up another series. It seems like Pete himself probably won't be doing plots anymore (or else he wouldn't be wrapping up Vol. 4), so the franchise taking a break seems almost inevitable at this point.

Where do you want the future of the Turtles comic franchise to find itself? What do you think will happen?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

The feeling I get about the comics is that the Tales of the TMNT are doing better than Vol. 4, just because there's more variety (and more comics actually made)...

My question is if they'd consider doing a vol. 5 someday... OR if Tales will become the central comic line.

I just hate to see NO comics, period..
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Agreed, I'd say keep Tales, as long as it stays fresh.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #4
Ninjinister
無問題

If TMNT comics stopped altogether, I would only have a reason to visit my comic shop once in a blue moon. While I pick up whatever issues of Hellboy and a pack or two of Heroclix whenever I'm there, that's hardly worth the trip on its own.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Last I saw (when it was still being distributed via Diamond) Volume 4 was selling about a thousand copies more than Tales, issue after issue.

If you want to do the legwork, you can find all the sales figures here:
http://www.cbgxtra.com/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I think that might have something to do with the fact that it's the core title. As good as "Tales" books are across the medium, a lot of people tend to just overlook them unless they see a story they might be interested in or they know that it will have an impact of the core book.

From the sounds of things #30 shouldn't be too far off, and I know Jim is working on #31...
Old 09-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post
From the sounds of things #30 shouldn't be too far off, and I know Jim is working on #31...
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:29 AM   #8
junkboy
Hench Mutant

I do not know how much financial load is on the shoulders of Mirage cause that they are still printing TMNT related comics. You know , Peter always said they were doing this for the fans, not for financial or beneficial means.
The current situation of v4 shows this clearly. I mean the long gaps between each issue. But the series try to go on anyways.
But since its launch, Tales v2 really evolved into an everybody's project. Each issue has a different taste, different style of storytelling and art ( sometimes ). I truly believe that Tales should go on as much as it could.
If it is made just for fans and Mirage is still able to publish them without any problem, i think every fan here ( even hardcores ) would agree that Tales v2 is really a great comic and should go on.

My personal opinion is that Tales must go on. But after the finish of v4, main TMNT title can go into some holiday or relaxing and Mirage might publish some other non-TMNT related projects as they did in the past.
and if they want to go on with v5 in the future, i am up for that.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:01 AM   #9
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughnMichael View Post

That's common knowledge though, we keep hearing that the books aren't doing as well as they deserve, but the comics are still being published because of Pete, and to be honest the comics are really the only part of the whole phenomenon that interests me these days. Sure I find the cartoons interesting and fun, but outside of the NECA stuff, the toys haven't interested me since I was little.

Am I wrong in thinking that the idea to put them all into one collected book was batted around at one point?
Old 10-01-2008, 03:31 AM   #10
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
I was only kidding you know i'm gonna get it lol
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:48 AM   #11
junkboy
Hench Mutant

Quote:

That's common knowledge though, we keep hearing that the books aren't doing as well as they deserve, but the comics are still being published because of Pete, and to be honest the comics are really the only part of the whole phenomenon that interests me these days. Sure I find the cartoons interesting and fun, but outside of the NECA stuff, the toys haven't interested me since I was little.
I really love my old playmates toys , the ones i collected in my childhood, but i am not buying the new ones. Probably there are some other non-tmnt related figures from Mcfarlane and some statues or dioramas i need to buy. But since NECA launched the TMNT line, every product they do is instantly rising to number 1 in my buying list.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #12
odupianist
Mad Scientist

If you look at it, it's interesting, Mirage Vol 1 is the style that Tales Vol 2 follows, where different artists are doing different issues, etc. Mirage Vol 4 follows Tales Vol 1 in the fact that Jim Lawson is doing all of them. Maybe Mirage should switch it again or at least have Mirage Vol 4/5? follow Tales Vol 2 as well. I don't know.
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!

I wouldnt mind a trade paperback for V4 cos I'm missing alot and they're not easy to come by here.

Hey, I wanna know if they're still be free on Wowio, cos now everything's $3 each.

Whatever happens in V4, I'd just like to see you-know-who get back to normal.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #14
turkishproverb
Stone Warrior

For my part? I'm betting Gary tries to Kill the publishing division the minute Vol. 4 (Pete's pet project) is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Raider View Post
But me, Grimlock, love Raphael! He cool, but rude!

I suspected.
turkishproverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #15
Cipher
Foot Elite

I'm just gratified to hear that Volume 4 will get an ending. Tales could continue on, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if it didn't. I'm one of those people that actually likes to see an ending, and this means the end of the Mirage universe before a few years of dormancy and some sort of reboot, fine by me.

The Turtles' story really closed thematically with the end of Volume 1 anyway. Everything after that I see as a bonus, and as long as it doesn't finish in the middle of a story arc, it's all good.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #16
jerome
Foot Soldier

give volume 5 to Tristan and Paul!!!!

I really can't understand why they wouldn't. I mean unless i'm wrong issue 36 of tales was a big seller right? Plus I feel with that team on the comic more of the Darkhorse/idw/image crowd could be brought in and the book could probably sell really well.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
to be honest the comics are really the only part of the whole phenomenon that interests me these days. Sure I find the cartoons interesting and fun, but outside of the NECA stuff, the toys haven't interested me since I was little.
You and me both. Exactly.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #18
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome View Post
I mean unless i'm wrong issue 36 of tales was a big seller right? Plus I feel with that team on the comic more of the Darkhorse/idw/image crowd could be brought in and the book could probably sell really well.
Actually, there were a few issues that sold out completely. #36 came close but there are still a couple of hundred left I believe. The feedback I got back was really good, and Steve and Dan both said that it had a very surprising write in response (which I only found out recently too -- thanks everyone that did write in!).

Ultimately, whatever happens with Turtles after Vol.4 is up to Peter and the dudes in Publishing (although I do appreciate your enthusiasm!).
Old 10-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Let's look at it this way... had Tales V2 #36 been Tales V2 #1... and the same level of quality, even if not team, had remained consistent... the comparison and conversation here might be very much different.

Which isn't to say anything negative about any one or number of Tales V2 issues. It's just simple business, kid-picking-up-a-random-comic-on-stands kind of stuff. Some are more, "Oooh! I want to pick up the next issue!" and others are more, "Hm, the story's OK, but the art doesn't look as good as Wolverine or Spider-Man."
Old 10-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #20
odupianist
Mad Scientist

I think Jerome has a point. When Vol 4 ends, give it a few months, then Tristan and Paul can start working on what they want for Vol 5.
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote