The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-31-2021, 09:47 AM   #621
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I had a few minor nitpicks but overall thought it was pretty good. I rarely binge things anymore but I watched all of this in one sitting. Wish He-Man was in it more but at least we got some flashback scenes plus I like that we’re finally getting some payoff to Teela’s story in animated form.

Think Netflix made a mistake splitting the season into two parts. All 10 episodes should’ve been released at once. Do we know if this is a one and done season or could there potentially be more? I’d keep watching if there was more.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:42 PM   #622
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Despite the backlash against the MotU R (especially in YouTube), I have been watching some clips of it. Some of it however, just leaves me saying "..what?"

Spoiler:
Teela's upset over Adam's concealed identity seems a bit insensitive. There was a bit of lost opportunity for her to be by Duncan's side when King Randor discharged him - Teela could have said something like " King Randor.. We both have served you well, and both of us have respect for you. But, if Man-At-Arms goes, then I go too." Maybe this could have shed some positive light in her direction. Also, King Randor acted way too hasty in his decision to discharge Duncan.

Lynn siding with the heroes was a new idea. I have yet to see more of those clips.

Alan Oppenheimer's return to the MotU universe felt a bit shafted. I know that he couldn't be Skeletor's VA once more, but Moss Man should have gotten more screen-time.

I think that I saw a reference to the live-action MotU movie when Skeletor claimed Adam's sword and Grayskull's power; he just killed Adam instead of take The Sorceress as his prisoner.

I still don't know how I feel about the series as a whole just yet.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:50 PM   #623
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

This show made me dig out my omnibus of the MOTU DC Comics from the early 2010s and my DVD box set of the 2002 series.

I also have a book of newspaper comics and a compilation of the mini-comics to go through at some point.

There's so much more lore to this franchise than I realized, and MOTU: R is dripping with it.

My favorite aspects of this were:
-the character designs (I tend to go for muscular female characters in general, so Teela wasn't as offensive to me as she seems to be for others)
-Tony Todd (f*cking Candyman!) as Scare-Glow
-The journeys to Subternia and Preternia have a mythic quality to them
-Bear McCreary's music

This is He-Man with DCAU production values. Wish they'd done something like it much sooner. I know the broader "fan culture" is still reeling from terrible things like The Last Jedi but this doesn't deserve to be put in that category. Hearing some YouTubers I used to have a small modicum of respect for whine about it like children (some of them didn't even watch past the first episode!) has made me rethink whether or not I want to maintain any awareness of what's going on in those spheres. Knowledge of a few Star Wars leaks here and there just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

This business about Kevin Smith being a "liar"--if some random person gets leaks of your show months in advance and demands to know if the spoilers are true, who in their right mind would confirm those spoilers? If someone knocked on George Lucas' door in 1979 and demanded to know who Luke's father was, what do you think he'd tell them? Are fans that entitled? Are they that unwilling to just look at something on its own merits? If it's good, bad, or mediocre, people shouldn't need some Internet hive mind to tell them what to feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.

Last edited by Spike Spiegel; 07-31-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:23 PM   #624
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
This business about Kevin Smith being a "liar"--if some random person gets leaks of your show months in advance and demands to know if the spoilers are true, who in their right mind would confirm those spoilers? If someone knocked on George Lucas' door in 1979 and demanded to know who Luke's father was, what do you think he'd tell them? Are fans that entitled? Are they that unwilling to just look at something on its own merits? If it's good, bad, or mediocre, people shouldn't need some Internet hive mind to tell them what to feel.
The crucifixion of Kevin Smith has been by far the dumbest thing about the entire backlash. I see people going after him for every little thing he says and they twist everything to make him look like a bad guy. I've seen a couple videos use the word meltdown and he couldn't have been more f*cking chill and open minded about the whole thing, meanwhile they're the ones having the meltdown. I've even seen people claim his career is over... Un-f*cking-believable.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:26 PM   #625
CyberCubed
Overlord

Kevin Smith does get things wrong a lot. Remember when he said Bruce Timm was doing a continuation of Batman: TAS? And then it turned out to be a completely new Batman reboot with no connection to the DCAU? He got peoples hopes up for months.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:16 PM   #626
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
I had a few minor nitpicks but overall thought it was pretty good. I rarely binge things anymore but I watched all of this in one sitting. Wish He-Man was in it more but at least we got some flashback scenes plus I like that we’re finally getting some payoff to Teela’s story in animated form.

Think Netflix made a mistake splitting the season into two parts. All 10 episodes should’ve been released at once. Do we know if this is a one and done season or could there potentially be more? I’d keep watching if there was more.
Yeah, Smith claimed in a recent interview that he only found out about the 10 episodes being split in half at the same time we all did. They did the same thing to one of the Seasons of the She-Ra reboot (splitting one regular-length Season into two short Seasons) and they didn't tell Noelle Stevenson about it, either. So there's precedent for it. One of those things Netflix just chooses to do.

I have a feeling that if the writers KNEW the episodes were going to be split up, some different choices would have likely been made. Can't do anything about it now, though.

Smith also claims Teela's redesign wasn't up to him and that he wasn't in love with the haircut when he first saw it. Also, that she'll be changing her hair yet again in Part 2. Apparently he felt the need to point that out since it's SO important to some people.

As for whether or not they will do more Seasons after "Revelation", Smith more or less said outright in another interview that was the plan. Which implies that Netflix agreed to multiple Seasons upfront, which they often do for things like this, so it wouldn't surprise me. If another Season happens, you'll know it's because they agreed to it before the backlash and review-bombing.

Frankly, I won't be surprised if they don't do one, just because of all the caterwauling. BUT, someone from Netflix did say that they're ignoring the very obvious trolling and fake 0-star and 1-star "reviews", so maybe it will still happen after all.

Plus, they'd obviously be privy to information we don't have, so for example if Season 2 would already be planned to have more He-Man in it, them seeing people cry about "This show doesn't have any He-Man in it!" wouldn't discourage them from doing a Season 2, they'd instead be like "Ah, okay, then they'll like what we have planned."

We'll see. I'd definitely love another Season, although I do think it'll be more "conventional" and play it more "safe" than this one is. But, apparently that's what most people claim to want so that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:30 AM   #627
newfan
Mad Scientist

I hope there's another season, with streaming seasons being so much shorter 10 episodes doesn't give it much of a chance nor will there be the opportunity to see much of He-Man. With the show being a cert 12/PG-13 there is also that little extra room for more depth too.

Are the other 5 eps completed already? I know animation has been easier to do in the pandemic than live action stuff (obviously) but do you think splitting seasons is also down to giving the elusion that things last for longer without having to make more of it? Just trying to take a guess here.

Last edited by newfan; 08-01-2021 at 02:42 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:36 AM   #628
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Also, that she'll be changing her hair yet again in Part 2. Apparently he felt the need to point that out since it's SO important to some people.
That will be interesting, it could indicate another time jump takes place after Skeletor becomes a Master.

I still strongly believe there will be outrage for volume two...but more from the 'woke' crowd when it becomes abundantly clear Mattel were actually bait-and-switching them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Are the other 5 eps completed already?
They pictured-locked and composed the last episode a week ago, it's all in the can.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:38 AM   #629
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Maybe they cut it in half, knowing that whether people love or hate the first half, it'll likely garner a ton of views because it's new and shiny and the people that end up hating it don't know they hate it yet. By seeing who still turns up to see the second half would be a good metric to see if Netflix is to put any money into a full-on season 2.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:21 AM   #630
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't see why they would make a new show for only 10 episodes and stop there. Assuming it's successful they'll likely order more episodes. What's a 10 episode run going to do? It'll be forgotten in the long run unless there's more.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:36 AM   #631
IMJ
Emperor

YouTube chick Laura Legends (who is like the infinitely likeable perfect woman, it's unreal) did a pretty good review of the show where she made a great point about people signaling their positive interest for the show when they do the "I watched it all the way through!".

She commented that "this isn't really impressive considering there are five episodes" and that it's not really "an incredible feat" because it's like watching a movie. I love little points like that - points of "reality" against people's exaggerated bull $#!(.

Which is true - so far this thing was more like G.I. Joe Resolute, but they, for whatever reason chopped it up as a "show".
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:11 PM   #632
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
None of this is true. "Comicsgaters" include guys like Dale Keown (Pitt), Trent Kaniuga (Creed), Graham Nolan & Chuck Dixon (you know, the guys that created Bane and delivered like 15 years of awesome Batman comics), and more. That numbskulls on the internet go around repping Comicsgate saying dumb things is really neither here nor there. But please let me know what directly racist things Ethan said. There isn't any. And even if there was things Ethan said in jest... this Ta-Nahesi guy is 100% dead serious at every point. Not even remotely sarcastic. When he said the police and firefighters who gave their lives digging for survivors on 9/11 "weren't human" to him... this wasn't some kind of gag. He wasn't trying his hand at sarcasm. And it's not like he ever went back and said "I didn't mean that." 0 reversal.
To be honest I don't know why I'm advocating on behalf of the work of Ta-Nehesi Coates. His comic book work (so far) has been at best okay. What it isn't though is particularly politically charged as I think his critics expect it to be. There's only really the Ladies of Liberty and the vastly overblown Jordan Peterson thing. Peterson is more one of the Sons of the Serpent than a Red Skull anyway.

There are plenty of African Americans that due to both direct racism against them and carried out to their race in general don't feel they are actually part of America so the overall point of his now infamous op ed shouldn't be shocking. Saying that didn't he didn't feel anything after 9/11 was...a choice but in a serious op ed he can't really hide behind the whole 'just kidding folks' like Scriver can. My question is why you support a creator who has said problematic things but wont even try another creator who has said problematic things.

On comicsgate; sometimes talented creators are trash. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be called on being trash. No one on your list is that talented that they are a loss to the industry. It's basically a list of washed up people never weres. Their goal is to curtail any attempt at greater racial (and ethnic, sexual and gender) diversity both in the comic industry and in the actual comics. That's pretty bigoted even if you actual non-white people as part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Pretty sure I read somewhere he did sleep with the girl prior to her being 18, made some sort of half apology about it and thats where the problem with him being cancelled comes from, whereas the other guys have not apologized for it. Still weird either way...
If it's true then it's more than it's bit more than weird it's wrong. Also if true he should be a bit more than cancelled he should be in prison.

That's not to say people can't still appreciate his work. People can separate the art from the artist. I do think there is a line and for me grooming and having sex with an underage girl is one of them. Thankfully it's not a mainstream view of the political right but there's a certain strain of alt right that constantly grouse about age of consent is very strange given the big overlap of those who see pedophiles everywhere among their political opponents. Speaking of which...

Quote:
And then there is the political left which is certainly fine with pedophiles in general as they voted for one.
You mean Joe Biden, right? He isn't a pedophile. Even in the very unlikely event that he is revealed in the future to be one no one voted for him did so believing he was.

Last edited by Galactus; 08-01-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #633
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
YouTube chick Laura Legends (who is like the infinitely likeable perfect woman, it's unreal) did a pretty good review of the show where she made a great point about people signaling their positive interest for the show when they do the "I watched it all the way through!".

She commented that "this isn't really impressive considering there are five episodes" and that it's not really "an incredible feat" because it's like watching a movie. I love little points like that - points of "reality" against people's exaggerated bull $#!(.

Which is true - so far this thing was more like G.I. Joe Resolute, but they, for whatever reason chopped it up as a "show".
You could say the inverse is true for people that didn't finish it yet still have an opinion.

The chopping thing up holds true for the first 'season' of castlevania which was intended to be a movie but they chopped it up after that fact to be a season as that sells better and it is easier to get seasons greenlit than movies.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:09 PM   #634
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
You could say the inverse is true for people that didn't finish it yet still have an opinion.
God the level at which I could take this observation apart.... But yes you could say that.

Anyway, love it or hate it, I saw this and thought it was pretty funny....

The "Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse" sidebar was hysterical! As a buddy of mine said who I swiped this from - "DAMN! LOL Some salty MOTU fans out there" LMAO!
Old 08-01-2021, 09:02 PM   #635
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
On comicsgate; sometimes talented creators are trash. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be called on being trash. No one on your list is that talented that they are a loss to the industry. It's basically a list of washed up people never weres. Their goal is to curtail any attempt at greater racial (and ethnic, sexual and gender) diversity both in the comic industry and in the actual comics. That's pretty bigoted even if you actual non-white people as part of it.
Yes, yes, a conspiracy of "bad" authors who don't want to see Blacks and women among their characters...it is a good argument for Twatter, not so much here.

Logic "everyone who disagrees with SJWs are horrible bigots" is idiotic, because, in most cases, people do not agree not with the idea of diversity itself, but how it is done (race- and sex-swapping established character, while trashing originals, absurd plots, which look like a dumb propaganda, e.t.c.).

More likely they don't want to please Twatter mob, which fights not for diversity, but for headpats and cookies from each other, which they can monetize. This whole SJW nonsense is solely about grabbing power and influence over others. And so called "SJWs" in most cases just losers or as toxic as people they fighting against. That much I can tell from my own experience with that crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Thankfully it's not a mainstream view of the political right but there's a certain strain of alt right that constantly grouse about age of consent is very strange given the big overlap of those who see pedophiles everywhere among their political opponents.
Strangely enough, I rarely hear about anyone on the Right being about lowering age of consent. Yet, I see a lot of Left, especially with ties LGBBBQ, who constantly say something about it: like kids should exposed to kinks, like kids should make decisions about sex change as early as 5 years old and so on.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #636
Allio
Foot Elite

Been reading some of the DC comics. I found the Masters of the Multiverse really hard to get into. Perhaps it’s because like Shattered Grid it’s just another cliched and boring event book.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:19 PM   #637
Leo656
The Franchise

I liked it, but it seems like "Masters of the Multiverse" was love-it-or-hate-it for many. For me it was just a fun romp that showcased all the different iterations of MOTU for a minute; wasn't really expecting much more than that.

The DC ongoing series though "Eternity War" was pretty damn good in my opinion, but not everyone likes "serious" MOTU. But it gives the entire saga a Beginning, Middle and an End (of sorts), which no other version ever managed to do, so big points for that.

Some people love the DC run, and some people despise it. I've noticed that those who hate it generally fall on the "This franchise needs to be over-the-top silly at all times" side of the spectrum - ignoring the fact that it WASN'T "silly" and in fact was more or less just a Conan riff until Filmation got their hooks into it, but anyways. People who liked the DC run - such as myself - appreciated the "Lord of the Rings" overtones and overall more serious aesthetic.

I think it kind of depends on the individual. If someone really loves Filmation and Orko, the DC run probably isn't for them. But anyone who never liked MOTU much based on what they saw of Filmation, the DC book would probably appeal to them.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:17 PM   #638
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I liked it, but it seems like "Masters of the Multiverse" was love-it-or-hate-it for many. For me it was just a fun romp that showcased all the different iterations of MOTU for a minute; wasn't really expecting much more than that.

The DC ongoing series though "Eternity War" was pretty damn good in my opinion, but not everyone likes "serious" MOTU. But it gives the entire saga a Beginning, Middle and an End (of sorts), which no other version ever managed to do, so big points for that.

Some people love the DC run, and some people despise it. I've noticed that those who hate it generally fall on the "This franchise needs to be over-the-top silly at all times" side of the spectrum - ignoring the fact that it WASN'T "silly" and in fact was more or less just a Conan riff until Filmation got their hooks into it, but anyways. People who liked the DC run - such as myself - appreciated the "Lord of the Rings" overtones and overall more serious aesthetic.

I think it kind of depends on the individual. If someone really loves Filmation and Orko, the DC run probably isn't for them. But anyone who never liked MOTU much based on what they saw of Filmation, the DC book would probably appeal to them.
I'd agree. The Multiverse story was a fun romp through the different versions and a fun love letter to the shows/iterations.

But I def loved the Eternity War, even bought original art from it. It was the sweeping kind of fantasy epic that I truly wanted.

Even the crossovers with DC and Thundercats were good as well. The Thundercats was crazy and pretty much what would have happened in my head as a kid if I smashed the two lines together. I really want a figure of Mummator.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #639
IMJ
Emperor

Reports are that it fell of the Netflix top ten here after a week.

But to be fair, it's an incredibly short watch, so people likely gobbled it up in the first few days; and also I don't really know that Netflix' "Top Ten" is actually of any internal ratings merit as much as marketing choices for what they want to push.

But you can imagine that this news is the talk of the "anti-advocates" of the show.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:27 PM   #640
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Reports are that it fell of the Netflix top ten here after a week.

But to be fair, it's an incredibly short watch, so people likely gobbled it up in the first few days; and also I don't really know that Netflix' "Top Ten" is actually of any internal ratings merit as much as marketing choices for what they want to push.

But you can imagine that this news is the talk of the "anti-advocates" of the show.
Yeah, I'm seeing that a lot popping up. Largely not so much that it came and went from the "Top 10" so fast, but that many others that came out long before it are still there.

But you could be right. It could be like what the "New York Times Bestselling List" has become, which is no longer dictated by, well, sales, but just by the most "important" left-leaning books they want to push on a given week/month.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote