The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Jennika VS Venus de Milo, who would win?
Jennika 9 42.86%
Venus de Milo 5 23.81%
Draw 0 0%
I love pizza 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2020, 03:56 AM   #1
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Lets give it up for the turtle ladies, who will be the superior one?

Last edited by Shark_Blade; 08-18-2020 at 04:50 AM.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:57 AM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I'm voting for Venus, but purely out of preference as I have no connection with IDW tmnt but have enjoyed bits of the Next Mutation.

As for actual in-lore feats though, I have no idea.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:58 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

You could have just made a poll. In any case, Venus. She was raised from near "birth" in martial arts by a master, Chung-I... and also has straight up magic (offense) powers.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:41 AM   #4
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Yeah I made a poll why it turned out like that. Let’s see if I can fix it.

Last edited by Shark_Blade; 08-18-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:50 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Venus. She was raised from near "birth" in martial arts by a master, Chung-I... and also has straight up magic (offense) powers.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:05 AM   #6
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Venus. She was raised from near "birth" in martial arts by a master, Chung-I... and also has straight up magic (offense) powers.
She was? I thought the series specifically stated that Venus wasn't taught martial arts. She was conveniently as good as her brothe...um fellow mutant turtles whenever she was required to fight. The writers seemed to think Shinobi was another term for magic or mystic as opposed to another term for ninja.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:26 AM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Hm... Urm... Eh... Uh...
... I vote... I love Pizza. The concept of a fifth turtle isn't worth any of the serious answers.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Maybe Jennika, because Foot assassin...

But I dislike her, so my vote still goes to Venus.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:20 AM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Seems like it was a running joke throughout the Next Mutation that Venus is a screw-up. So even with all her mystic power advantage, she'd likely lose the fight.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Venus should have an advantage with magic powers, but Next Mutation made her powers all slapstick and ridiculous instead of powerful.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:48 AM   #11
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Seems like it was a running joke throughout the Next Mutation that Venus is a screw-up. So even with all her mystic power advantage, she'd likely lose the fight.
Except for the time she single-handedly beat the Turtles most hated enemy...

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:08 AM   #12
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Except for the time she single-handedly beat the Turtles most hated enemy...
That was her debut episode, right? That's still par for the course. She got a chance to make Shredder into a jobber and then fell back into dead-weight soon after.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #13
Galactus
Foot Elite

Plus that magic whammy she did on the Shredder was something like confronting him with his own evil. (To be honest that would have been an interesting concept had it been done in better show that perhaps built up that Saki was weighed down by his own evil deeds but in Next Mutation it was really random). It's unlikely she could pull that on Jennika who at best may have some lingering feelings of guilt over things she did in the Foot. Basically all Venus has is throwing her balls at her.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:36 PM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

See, the difference here is nobody even liked the TURTLES in The Next Mutation. Or Shredder. Or anything about the show. So harshly judging Venus is pretty useless, given that she never had a fair chance. Whereas IDW is a much better produced series, with better developed characters... and Jennika is still lousy.

Venus didn't live up to her potential, and could have been better, if never actually good. Whereas Jennika should have been much better, but seems hamfisted and Mary Sue. The writers tell us she's great, instead of actually showing us.

And while I'm bitching, Jennika was great as a Foot assassin, trying to be loyal to her old master and then learning to be loyal to Splinter. She had a brief friendship with Leonardo.

And then we never see her, except having a relationship with Casey. Then getting mutated because plot twist. Then upstaging the four Turtles because diversity. And Mutant Town, because it's probably really fun to draw.

If IDW wanted me to like Jennika, maybe they should have shown us her spending time with the Turtles and Splinter, and not wasted all her human development on a love triangle with Casey and April that nobody--NOBODY--gave a fvck about.

TLDR: Venus would have been better than Jennika, if Venus had actually been in a GOOD TMNT series.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #15
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

PS: I always wanted a Venus action figure to go with my four main Turtles as a kid, but I could never find one. That was my biggest childhood regret.

Not Scratch! Not Samurai Chote or whatever the Playmates name was! Not Panda Khan! I wanted VENUS.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #16
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
See, the difference here is nobody even liked the TURTLES in The Next Mutation. Or Shredder. Or anything about the show. So harshly judging Venus is pretty useless, given that she never had a fair chance. Whereas IDW is a much better produced series, with better developed characters... and Jennika is still lousy.

Venus didn't live up to her potential, and could have been better, if never actually good. Whereas Jennika should have been much better, but seems hamfisted and Mary Sue. The writers tell us she's great, instead of actually showing us.

And while I'm bitching, Jennika was great as a Foot assassin, trying to be loyal to her old master and then learning to be loyal to Splinter. She had a brief friendship with Leonardo.

And then we never see her, except having a relationship with Casey. Then getting mutated because plot twist. Then upstaging the four Turtles because diversity. And Mutant Town, because it's probably really fun to draw.

If IDW wanted me to like Jennika, maybe they should have shown us her spending time with the Turtles and Splinter, and not wasted all her human development on a love triangle with Casey and April that nobody--NOBODY--gave a fvck about.

TLDR: Venus would have been better than Jennika, if Venus had actually been in a GOOD TMNT series.
Respectfully disagree.

I actually don't think there is anything wrong with how the Next Mutation turtles are characterised. Also to damn the series with faint praise it's concepts were not really that bad it was just tonally dumb and suffered from horrific production values.

Venus being the fish out of water not getting modern American culture got old fast and I found her much more of a Mary Sue. She wasn't a trained fighter yet when action went down she was able to match and more often than not out do the other turtles. Also her backstory is pretty groan worthy. She was separated from the other turtles but separated and found by coincidentally another wise old sage who even coincidentally has psychic tete a tetes with Splinter.

I can't say Jennika has hugely impressed me yet but conceptually she's much better imo. There is no shoe horning her in as the turtles long lost anything. No big coincidences to explain she is also a ninja she's simply ex-Foot. Plenty of mileage can be gained with her adjusting to life of a mutant as was as the possibility if her becoming human again. I have faith that IDW could still do interesting stuff with her but if not I think another version could use her better if they chose to.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:29 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Respectfully disagree.

I actually don't think there is anything wrong with how the Next Mutation turtles are characterised. Also to damn the series with faint praise it's concepts were not really that bad it was just tonally dumb and suffered from horrific production values.

Venus being the fish out of water not getting modern American culture got old fast and I found her much more of a Mary Sue. She wasn't a trained fighter yet when action went down she was able to match and more often than not out do the other turtles. Also her backstory is pretty groan worthy. She was separated from the other turtles but separated and found by coincidentally another wise old sage who even coincidentally has psychic tete a tetes with Splinter.

I can't say Jennika has hugely impressed me yet but conceptually she's much better imo. There is no shoe horning her in as the turtles long lost anything. No big coincidences to explain she is also a ninja she's simply ex-Foot. Plenty of mileage can be gained with her adjusting to life of a mutant as was as the possibility if her becoming human again. I have faith that IDW could still do interesting stuff with her but if not I think another version could use her better if they chose to.
I'd agree with you that a lot of the concepts from Next Mutation were good and it's a shame we've never revisited them... the gorilla mobster, the Dragon Lord, Venus, the vampires, to name the ones I can remember.

I'd just rather have a "hey, a fifth Turtle!" rather than "hey, a human female got mutated into a Turtle!" Reeks of fangirl fanfic to me.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #18
Galactus
Foot Elite

Honestly I'd rather no fifth turtle at all.

It's not like the worst idea however there is just so many ways it can go wrong which is probably why I think Jennika works better as if for whatever reason she doesn't take you simply de-mutate her and have her go off with her human family. Story done.

Venus could go off to find herself or whatever but she's still the fifth long lost turtle that will always be out there looming over the that version to come back with such witticisms such as "they are going to ambush you tonight in the toilet".
Old 08-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #19
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I vote Jennika because the choreography in TNM was so bad, I could beat Venus.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:37 PM   #20
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I'd just rather have a "hey, a fifth Turtle!" rather than "hey, a human female got mutated into a Turtle!" Reeks of fangirl fanfic to me.
I can look at this 3 ways.

1. A mutant turtle who just happens to exist with no prior relation to the turtles..

2. Long Lost Sibling

3. A human who is changed into a mutant via circumstance

1 Is probably the best to keep people from being offended. I think Slash usually fits into this category.

But 3 is clearly better than 2. One of the pillars of godawful fanfic is "long lost x" and therefore I think Jennika is better than Venus. Especially since Jennika has no romantic attachment to the tmnt. If NM had lasted long enough, Venus would have turned into a girlfriend to one of them.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote