The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-05-2022, 07:24 PM   #21
neatoman
Emperor

Yeah I've been saying it for a long time, there is the "idea" of what the show was and what the show was really like, which really don't line up that well. Not that I mind it that much, what the actually was isn't good and while the "idea of the show" tends to hold the franchise back in an annoying way, it's still more appealing than actually trying to emulate the show for what it was.

Basically, if it comes between:
  • A. A story that pretends Casey Jones was a major supporting character who was in like 50 episodes rather than 5 and has him go on an adventure with Mutagen Man who was definitely written out of the show by the end of his only episode, along with a possible guest appearance of the Fugitoid who never appeared at all, in which they fight Hun who didn't even exist by the time the show ended, who wants to use a device that makes all the Purple Dragons super-humanly strong.
Or
  • B. A story in which Zach tries to stop Pinky McFingers and Big Louie from building an antenna that makes people put all their money in a big pile while the Turtles stop Shredder and Krang from doing something vaguely related to the money pile scheme in order to gas up the Technodrome.

I'd easily pick option A.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:14 AM   #22
ZariusTwo
Overlord

This is the sort of plot you put together in a PC cartoon maker, and doesn't really give the book a chance to reflect the kind of plots that it could have. Also with Shredder's Revenge out, you're better off playing a similar thing only with a functioning plot.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 10:44 PM   #23
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Finally got my copy in the mail today and I checked it out. Here are my thoughts.

https://markepicblogofrandomness.blo...entures-1.html

Loved the story and it felt like it this was going to be a one time thing, I would have been satisfied. My main complaint is them writing 80's Raph more as if he were 2K3 Raph at times (smacking Mikey upside the head).

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:21 PM   #24
Erik Burnham
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
This is a consistent thing I've always noticed, people who work outside of TV or newspaper media apparently have no idea how it works. So therefore April can be a reporter OR a weather girl so long as "She stands in front of a camera and talks" remains consistent. But this is a very common error.
Had a whole scene about the weatherman refusing to do it and it getting stuck with April "as relevant news reporting" but with only 20 pages, things like that get cut when editorial or Nickelodeon wants something added.

www.burnhamania.com
www.facebook.com/erikburnhamfanpage
www.twitter.com/erikburnham
Erik Burnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:26 PM   #25
Erik Burnham
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Yeah I've been saying it for a long time, there is the "idea" of what the show was and what the show was really like, which really don't line up that well. Not that I mind it that much, what the actually was isn't good and while the "idea of the show" tends to hold the franchise back in an annoying way, it's still more appealing than actually trying to emulate the show for what it was.

Basically, if it comes between:
  • A. A story that pretends Casey Jones was a major supporting character who was in like 50 episodes rather than 5 and has him go on an adventure with Mutagen Man who was definitely written out of the show by the end of his only episode, along with a possible guest appearance of the Fugitoid who never appeared at all, in which they fight Hun who didn't even exist by the time the show ended, who wants to use a device that makes all the Purple Dragons super-humanly strong.
Or
  • B. A story in which Zach tries to stop Pinky McFingers and Big Louie from building an antenna that makes people put all their money in a big pile while the Turtles stop Shredder and Krang from doing something vaguely related to the money pile scheme in order to gas up the Technodrome.

I'd easily pick option A.
Continuity discussions were had, and we asked how faithful things must be (example, would Mike only use the grapple if we set it at this point of the show.)

Some of the conventions (calling Michelangelo by Mikey) are space considerations for the lettering, and also sometimes for changeup.

Other times, crossbrand consistency is a consideration, and making the Turtles' character feel consistent with other versions to a degree while still keeping the vibe of the original show.

It's a balancing act. I make adjustments as requested. (:

www.burnhamania.com
Old 10-19-2022, 01:32 PM   #26
Erik Burnham
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Okay, back away I go. Take care, y'all.

www.burnhamania.com
Old 10-19-2022, 01:40 PM   #27
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I very much appreciate the inside scoop, Erik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Burnham View Post
Had a whole scene about the weatherman refusing to do it and it getting stuck with April "as relevant news reporting" but with only 20 pages, things like that get cut when editorial or Nickelodeon wants something added.
Quote:
Continuity discussions were had, and we asked how faithful things must be (example, would Mike only use the grapple if we set it at this point of the show.)

Some of the conventions (calling Michelangelo by Mikey) are space considerations for the lettering, and also sometimes for changeup.

Other times, crossbrand consistency is a consideration, and making the Turtles' character feel consistent with other versions to a degree while still keeping the vibe of the original show.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 02:08 PM   #28
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:

Whoa, I appreciate the feedback from the actual person behind the comic! Awesome!

And yeah, I can see something like that happening in the show and April whining about. "But Buuuuuuuurrrnnnnne... I don't want to cover the weather, I want to cover the big crime wave downtown".

April always wanted to do big action and danger stories, like she was some sort of big adrenaline junkie. She hated doing 'normal' news and interviews and that kind of garbage but Burne kept pushing it on her, lmao.

You know, one story that would have been fun to see, had this been a more long running series, would have been April getting some sort of Barbara Walters type special devoted to looking back at her biggest stories (in universe that is, not the comic being about that). Perfect way to reference some of the TV episodes. Naturally she'd get kidnapped or something during the show, or Shredder and Krang would see this as a chance to steal something from Channel 6 while everyone is occupied with her show. Maybe extra shenanigans with Vernon trying to sabotage it cause he's jealous he didn't get his own TV special.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 02:19 PM   #29
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:

So to what extent does it feel right to you and to what extent are you allowed to deviate?

If we keep to the example of characters since that's one of the easier examples to grasp, how do these categories of characters here fit into your process:
  1. Characters who were in the show, just not that important or popular. Examples being Mister Ogg and the Zipp.
  2. Characters who were in the show but more important in other iterations. Examples being Mondo Gecko or Mona Lisa.
  3. Characters who were not in the show but in the toyline or video games the show was tied into. Examples being The Fugitoid and Karai.
  4. Characters who were not in the show and not part of direct tie-ins but still existed back when it was airing. Examples being Savanti Romero or Nobody.
  5. Characters who straight up did not exist until after the show concluded. Examples being Hun and Bishop.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:11 PM   #30
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Ah, m'kay. Makes sense, thanks for playing some Inside Baseball with us.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:30 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Interesting, if Nick is more hands-on in the notes department on this than, say, the core IDW series.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:55 AM   #32
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix12345 View Post
Dialogue seems on-point for the universe, save for the use of the usual nicknames. (Only Mikey was used exactly once in the '87 show. Other 99% of the time it was full names.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Also, I don't think Splinter ever dropped the "my sons" line in the show.
Ah, so I’m not the only one who noticed that. You know you’re a true fan if you let tiny details like that bug you so much. Don’t really care if normies poke fun at me for pointing them out.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:57 AM   #33
Leo656
The Franchise

....You know you're SOMEthin', I'd say.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:58 AM   #34
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
....You know you're SOMEthin', I'd say.

Maybe I’m just a nerd.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:00 AM   #35
Leo656
The Franchise

There's nothing objectively wrong about being obsessively anal, after all.

I mean I question often whether Goddamn Ninja Turtles deserves such painstaking attention to detail, and I'd strongly argue No F*cking Way, but I mean, y'know, s'all good homie.

Old 10-23-2022, 01:07 AM   #36
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
There's nothing objectively wrong about being obsessively anal, after all.

I mean I question often whether Goddamn Ninja Turtles deserves such painstaking attention to detail, and I'd strongly argue No F*cking Way, but I mean, y'know, s'all good homie.
Yeah, maybe I am a bit uptight when it comes to stuff like that. I practically foamed at the mouth after seeing all the changes that “Rise” made.

…oh, wait, that was every TMNT fan, not just me.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:10 AM   #37
Leo656
The Franchise

I'd still love to punch Ant Ward's stupid beard off his stupid face for getting me kicked off the board for two weeks. But he stays over there in Cali because he's scared to f*cking death of me.

Old 10-23-2022, 01:14 AM   #38
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
I'd still love to punch Ant Ward's stupid beard off his stupid face for getting me kicked off the board for two weeks. But he stays over there in Cali because he's scared to f*cking death of me.
Wait…he got you banned for two weeks? For what? Criticizing him?
Old 10-23-2022, 01:32 AM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

Oh, right, you're new-ish. Yeah, that was a whole thing.

When the previews for Rise came out, I expressed my opinion in my typical Black Humor fashion. Something about wanting the showrunners to be in the same bus when it went off a cliff before the show was ever finished, and something about going back in time to give black tar heroin to their pregnant mommas.

Y'know, VERY tame sh*t by my usual standards but El Beardo didn't think so.

So he went to The Forum Staff, accused me of making threats of harm or some dumb sh*t (I didn't know I even had a time machine? Does he know something I don't know?!), and threatened to get his lawyers involved and have the site shut down unless I was "made an example of". Supposedly he wanted me permanently banned but the Staff all love me so the two-week slap was a compromise.

SO YEAH, as if anyone needed any other reason to hate Rise, let it be known that the creator is a thin-skinned salty crybaby bitch who can't take an obvious joke about his pwecious wittle trash-tier creations. Had he come to me LIKE A MAN and said "Dude, offsides, bro, we just wanna entertain, no need to be so harsh", I MAY have edited the comments and possibly even apologized. I MAY have made a point to be nicer in the future.

Tattle to the "principle" and threaten to call your lawyer? Threaten to have a whole forum shut down because someone made a dark joke? Nah, man, nah, you f*cking basic bitch. Only Pussies Call 911. I ain't hard to find, you wanna talk we can talk but go behind my back and try to have me Thanos Snapp'ed and that makes you nothing but a scared little c*nt. "Your Words Injured Me!" What a precious little princess.

And I WILL say as much to his smelly bearded face in the unlikely event we ever meet.
--------------

Lawson's another guy I'll NEVER have a single good word to say about no matter what. Similar but less-severe reasons.

I find out THIRD HAND that he sees all my little jabs at his artwork over the years - in brief, it sucks, only TMNT fans think it's any good, period - and that it REALLY hurts his feelings. At one point he was gonna stop drawing TMNT projects for various people over it, allegedly. "Why bother when this ONE GUY on the internet says such mean things about me?"

SO. That makes me feel bad, especially because a buddy had commissioned him to do a project and now Jim allegedly wasn't gonna do it anymore. I don't wanna f*ck sh*t up, and also didn't know my words had "injured" him so greatly in the first place. So I sent him a PM on FB saying, basically, "Look man, I know I've been harsh, a lot of it's just my sense of humor. Don't let me or anyone else stop you from doing your thing, a lot of people love your stuff even if I don't. Do it for Them, just tune me out, I'm One Guy." It was a lot longer than that, but that was the gist.

Motherf*cker saw it and left me on Read. Not even a "Thanks for reaching out", not even an "I understand", not even "OK", not even "F*ck You." Does he OWE me a response? NO, but I didn't owe that c*cksucker an apology, either. I try very hard NOT to ever be the bigger person, as a rule, since being the lesser person is not only a lot more fun but also gets better results in life. So when I DO try to be the bigger person, and someone makes me regret it, well... I don't bend the knee twice, put it like that.

A huge part of why I hate TMNT anymore is that in my experiences in dealing with them, the actual TMNT staff are a bunch of thin-skinned crybabies who tuck tail and cry to Twitter whenever anyone doesn't give them a sloppy enough rimjob. Keep in mind, I've had dinner and hung out with and worked with Actual Famous People, so I don't get all razzle-dazzled like some'a you cats do. I'll call a bitch a bitch no matter what f*cking comics or cartoons they drew; their work is famous, THEY are f*cking nobodies, so I don't know why they all seem to have such thin skin and such high opinions of themselves.

Also, I wasn't here for it but you might wanna ask about the time CyberCubed chased Ciro Nieli out of here. Supposedly it was classic, but I wasn't on that day.

Old 10-23-2022, 01:43 AM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Also, I wasn't here for it but you might wanna ask about the time CyberCubed chased Ciro Nieli out of here. Supposedly it was classic, but I wasn't on that day.
Ciro only made 13 posts, so here they are:

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sea...archid=1856324
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote