AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

TMNT #136. Preview and Discussion

Preview here.
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:36 PM   #2
ChosenOne
Banned

Sh*t, that’s tense! That Utrom trying to infect Donnie... So gross but so cool! The preview alone is a page turner, imagine the whole thing!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 03:24 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Seems like Donnie is stuck with protecting the OC tumblr girls.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 03:38 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm still curious about the two editors plus an "editorial assistant." How does that work in practice? Sounds like it could be a nightmare for the writer.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 03:39 PM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm still curious about the two editors plus an "editorial assistant." How does that work in practice? Sounds like it could be a nightmare for the writer.
More passing back and forth than a game of hot potato?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 03:57 PM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Seems like Donnie is stuck with protecting the OC tumblr girls.

Quote:
More passing back and forth than a game of hot potato?
We know the financial state that the company is in and how the comic has been received since #101.

There goes Andrew's Turtles kill or die moment with an OC female Turtle assisting a triceraton in squashing rogue utroms.

The ongoing ties in with Armageddon Game through #139,correct? I wonder if the creative team will change after that. I would like to see Paul Allor or Erik Burnham take a turn as writer of the ongoing.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:10 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Also an "associate" editor, so it's technically three people who are credited as editor in some way and an editorial assistant. What the difference between an editorial assistant and and associate editor? Not clear. Incidentally, this book is currently the only one of the four TMNT with this exact arrangement, AG has one editor with an assistant, AGA has an editor with with an assistant editor and a "Senior editor", while SMA has an editor and an assistant.

My best guess is that the arrangement goes something like this:
  1. The writer discusses with the two "story consultants" on what should be in the script to start with.
  2. The writer makes a first draft of the script and sends it off to editor 1.
  3. Editor 1 makes big sweeping changes and sends it off to editor 2.
  4. Editor 2 makes a second sweep of changes and sends it off to the editorial assistant editor.
  5. The editorial assistant makes minor corrections before it's shown to the associate editor.
  6. Associate editor reads the script to make sure it works and sends it back to Editor 1 and/or 2 for final approval and editing.
  7. Script is then sent to the artist.
No idea if that's accurate, the job titles don't make it entirely clear.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 04:19 PM   #8
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post

We know the financial state that the company is in and how the comic has been received since #101.

There goes Andrew's Turtles kill or die moment with an OC female Turtle assisting a triceraton in squashing rogue utroms.

The ongoing ties in with Armageddon Game through #139,correct? I wonder if the creative team will change after that. I would like to see Paul Allor or Erik Burnham take a turn as writer of the ongoing.
Sophie Campbell is already confirmed as staying on after the current arc.
Regarding two writers and an editor they would've planned months in advance who does which plot thread and editor will be to help keep everything synchronized.
On the topic of finances and sales, IDW reported a revenue increase of 17% last quarter and the comic is still very popular outside this forum's tiny pocket of the internet.
hypered1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:39 PM   #9
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Regarding the writing, all I know is that while Campbell is still the writer, I noticed the writing changed in tone, style, and overall quality a bit ago. I also know that this shift just so happened to coincide with Waltz and Eastman suddenly having a story credit on the main book.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:18 AM   #10
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
Regarding the writing, all I know is that while Campbell is still the writer, I noticed the writing changed in tone, style, and overall quality a bit ago. I also know that this shift just so happened to coincide with Waltz and Eastman suddenly having a story credit on the main book.
Let's not start that nonsense again. The writing credit was adjusted for the current arc as it's a collaborative effort and we've known Sophie can do more action heavy stuff since the Leo and Alopex minis 10 years ago.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:09 AM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
Let's not start that nonsense again. The writing credit was adjusted for the current arc as it's a collaborative effort and we've known Sophie can do more action heavy stuff since the Leo and Alopex minis 10 years ago.
Not sure why you keep pretending she wrote those though. Merely being the artist is quite a different role from being the script writer.
Hahahaha!
Old 01-18-2023, 07:04 AM   #12
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Not sure why you keep pretending she wrote those though. Merely being the artist is quite a different role from being the script writer.
Plus, even if it is a collaborative effort, it doesn't change the fact that while Campbell is still the one actually writing the physical words of the script, Campbell is no longer the one planning out the story and actually making the story decisions. The actual direction of the book has been back in Waltz's hands for a bit now, and it shows. We'll ultimately see what happens to the writing once this arc is over.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:41 AM   #13
ChosenOne
Banned

Regardless of any arrangements, the way that Utrom was taken out is Campbell through and through.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:14 AM   #14
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Because she's the credited writer? Not sure what other evidence you need?
Old 01-18-2023, 10:12 AM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Now you're straight up lying. The issues you cited are both credited entirely to Brian Lynch, Campbell is merely credited as the artist. I literally checked to make sure before I posted the response, if you're not outright lying then you didn't even bother to look up the credits page for two issues.

So which is it? Are you lying or so lazy you couldn't even be bothered to make sure I was wrong?
Hahahaha!
Old 01-18-2023, 01:43 PM   #16
ChosenOne
Banned

While I saw the Krang and Ch'rell thing coming years ago - I want to say 2021 if not earlier -, the execution still gave me goosebumps. This whole thing is gonna turn into exactly the sort of multi-sided all-out brawl I love before it's all over, I can just tell! Nice setup for post-AG, too.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:14 PM   #17
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Now you're straight up lying. The issues you cited are both credited entirely to Brian Lynch, Campbell is merely credited as the artist. I literally checked to make sure before I posted the response, if you're not outright lying then you didn't even bother to look up the credits page for two issues.

So which is it? Are you lying or so lazy you couldn't even be bothered to make sure I was wrong?
Yeah, ok I've checked again myself now that I'm home from work and I'm not sure where I got that from and I guess I just misremembered.
To be fair though I never specifically said writer when I mentioned the minis and comic artists do have a say in how things are visually depicted.

At any rate the point still stands that Sophie is staying on after AG and she does have experience writing grittier stories.
Old 01-18-2023, 04:23 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Triceratons being enslaved is a nice concept I am surprised nobody thought of it like this. So is this all the Triceratons or just a few?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:20 PM   #19
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Wow I had completely forgotten about all the weird timeline stuff going on...
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:44 PM   #20
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
To be fair though I never specifically said writer when I mentioned the minis and comic artists do have a say in how things are visually depicted.
Quote:
Just gonna put this here...

And anyways, While Campbell may be able to handle gritter stories (Like Shadoweyes), Campbell does way better when handling original stories. Maybe this writing style would have worked in a different comic, but it's too far away from what this comic should be and had been up until Campbell took over, and it clashes quite a bit. The outcry against it has not been unjustified. It's a problem a lot of legacy properties have been facing lately.