The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 05-11-2015, 01:21 PM   #81
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Renew Your Vows preview

Quote:
Father. Husband. Hero. The Amazing Spider-Man isn’t safe from the Secret Wars – and neither are you! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look at AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #1, from blockbuster creators Dan Slott and Adam Kubert! Trust us, you have to read this to believe it! Prepare for the next evolutionary step in Peter Parker’s life as the Parker family faces Battleworld…together. Peter, Mary Jane and their daughter may not have much, but they have each other. Even as his city is torn asunder by a mysterious new villain, the safety of Peter’s wife and daughter comes first. But who is this mysterious “Regent” who has claimed the lives of so many heroes? How long till Spider-Man and his family are in his crosshairs? This is the story you’ve been waiting for. No fan can afford to miss the seismic AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #1 when it explodes into comic shops this June!

ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #82
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Renew Your Vows is the top comic in the advance re-order retailer market

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/...o-secret-wars/
Old 05-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #83
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Spider-Man fans who enjoy Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson's relationship will get a series for themselves which features the pair's everyday life with their daughter Annie. Things will go awry when their domain leader, Regent, goes after Peter's family, forcing him to go underground. "It's a great adventure story but also a great story about Peter and Mary Jane," said Amanat, who also teased that Venom will appear in the series
http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...-the-aftermath
Old 05-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #86
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

What is the release date?

Also, the marriage is returning just for this one shot, correct?
Old 05-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #87
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What is the release date?

Also, the marriage is returning just for this one shot, correct?
-It's out next week

-It's not a one shot, it's a series that will spread across the entire summer

-Slott says "elements" of this story will remain in place after Secret Wars. He did'nt specify if that meant just the daughter carrying over or the marriage and daughter.

-For all this talk of the marriage "returning", it's never really went anywhere. The newspaper strip kept the two together consistently over the seven years it's been absent from the regular continuity
Old 06-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #88
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Renew Your Vows is out tomorrow, here's an advance review from Newsarama

Quote:
One More Day stands as one of the most reviled retcons in comics history because it erased what seemed like the most functional relationship in the entire Marvel Universe. To most fans, Peter and Mary Jane’s marriage was a sacred, untouchable constant up there with Uncle Ben being dead. Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows revisits those halcyon days as if that deal with Mephisto was never struck, but not everything is as you’d remember it. All-star creative team Dan Slott and Adam Kubert deliver a pretty effective throwback tale that sets some pretty high stakes moving forward. It’s been a little while since even the proper Amazing Spider-Man title had this much energy, and that’s definitely saying something.

That said, this issue does start off a bit rocky. The tone is a far cry from what we’ve seen in the post-One More Day Spidey Universe, because the focus is so different. It’s been so long since we’ve seen these characters in this kind of setting that even Dan Slott needs a few pages to really establish their voices. But the heart of the title remains the same - “With great power comes great responsibility.”

And there’s something refreshing about seeing Peter Parker not bumbling around, unable to juggle his personal life and his superhero obligations. That’s not to say that he doesn’t struggle with it, but he seems to have much more poise and resolve than the Peter we’re used to. It’s that slight change in his character that fuels this issue and leads to its conclusion that opens the door for a very heroic return to form. There are a few points where the plot drags a little bit and scenes are stretched to facilitate some tension in the script. And there’s a moment with MJ that sees her hitch onto a speeding fire truck while holding baby in one arm which seems a bit unbelievable, but I mean, we’re already believing a man can get spider-powers.

What really keeps the nostalgia train chugging along is Adam Kubert’s art. One thing I noticed was that Kubert seem to be channeling John Romita, Jr., a little bit in some of his character renderings and it worked really well as a call back to one of the most popular eras of Spidey comics. His renderings and panel compositions are a bit looser than we’ve seen from him lately, but inker John Dell sharpens them with incredible precision when needed. The biggest knock on Kubert is that he can’t for the life of him draw a baby consistently, but that’s (unfortunately) most artists. Given the rough start with the more domestic scenes, I was pleased to see Kubert really nail the action sequences. The first time we see Spider-Man barrel through a glass window is a moment full of power and desperation, exactly what is needed for that scene.

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows could have been campy fan service, but it avoids that with an almost-twist ending. That sets the stage for what’s to come in a big way. Dan Slott and Adam Kubert took a good approach to this one and executed very well. Minor hiccups abound, but they’re not enough to take you out of the story or affect the readability of the issue. While it’s hard to gauge how important these miniseries are to the main narrative, some of them have undeniably been fun, and Renew Your Vows is no different.

http://www.newsarama.com/24698-best-...ur-vows-1.html
Old 06-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #89
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I've read the issue, and it was a lot of fun.

Spoiler:
Peter essentially abandons the Avengers to take care of MJ and Annie when Eddie Brock breaks out of Ryker's prison. After a massive battle across the city, and with an assist from MJ, Peter traps Eddie inside a burning building and brings the whole thing down on him, seemingly killing him. Peter decides to retire as Spider-Man when all of the Avengers are killed by Augustus Roman, aka The Regent, who has transformed himself into a powerhouse armed with all the abilities of mutants and heroes alike.

Flash-forward a few years later, and Peter is helping Annie learn to walk across the street. He spots The Vulture stealing someone's purse, but decides not to do anything about it. He has a greater responsibility. The Regent is revealed to be overlord of the entire domain
Old 06-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #90
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Just finished reading it. Who is Regent exactly?

Could we be seeing Eddie Brock back as Venom?
Old 06-04-2015, 03:55 AM   #91
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Just finished reading it. Who is Regent exactly
Regent is Augustus Roman, who'd been killing all of the super-powered and non-powered heroes and had been harvesting their remains to make himself a super-powered Adaptoid-like creature with all of their abilities, and he has taken over the domain that Peter, MJ, and Annie are in. Peter is the last surviving superhero of this part of Battleworld
Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #92
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Renew Your Vows#2 has been pushed back to July, with Issues 3 and 4 scheduled for August.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:49 AM   #93
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Renew Your Vows#2 has been pushed back to July, with Issues 3 and 4 scheduled for August.
Thanks for the heads up. Any reason given?
Old 06-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #94
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. Any reason given?
None.

Ironically, the last time a Spidey event like this was held back was OMD

RYV#1 came in at number four on the best-sellers list for last week, topped only by Star Wars comics and Secret Wars#3. That's an encouraging sign.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #95
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
If this becomes a permanent thing, I may actually start reading Spidey books gain. Gawds, it's been soooo long....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:12 AM   #96
ZariusTwo
Overlord

While we're waiting for more adventures from Peter, MJ, and Annie, let's check in on what his original daughter Mayday's been up to since her father was killed in Spider-Verse, as the preview pages for the Secret Wars Spider-Island tie-in came out yesterday

Keep in mind, Tom DeFalco hinted in the Spider-Verse tie-ins this is actually an alternative version of Mayday and that the "original" was not affected by Spider-Verse (although Dan Slott is actually upset about this and has been claiming it's supposed to be the real Mayday, it's really up to the reader)
Old 06-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #98
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Proudly Unapproved by Dan Slott.

Even though I know practically nothing about Spiderman, I'm REALLY tempted to join that forum and pretend to be you, just to get a rise out of Slott and keep the drama going. I doubt I could pull it off, though... Spiderman is the one comic character I know the least about.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:12 PM   #99
ZariusTwo
Overlord

ROFL, and then, once Dan tries pointing you out to the forum members, I could re-register just to say below him "psst...Dan, OVER HERE" (rasp)
Old 06-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #100
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
ROFL, and then, once Dan tries pointing you out to the forum members, I could re-register just to say below him "psst...Dan, OVER HERE" (rasp)
Alright, we TOTALLY need to do this now.

Tell ya what, next time you feel like posting on there, PM me first, send me the link and a rough idea of what you want me to say (in case I'm too uninformed to have an opinion of my own), and then I'll make it happen. Crap will hit the fan and we'll both have a grand ol' time. Sound good?

Although... how do we know ol' Slotthead ain't stalking you here and reading this very conversation!?

Tags
spider-man