The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 03-09-2023, 03:07 PM   #4361
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Super7, I know you do R&D on this forum.

Do me a favor. I want you to look at these two images side by side. Look at one, then the other. Then repeat. Then I want you to please explain your contempt for your customers and the TMNT fanbase.

Which of the following reasons caused you to make this Rat King so different?
  • Playmates and/or Nickelodeon forced you to, or some other vague copyright issue
  • You thought you could capture a new audience by making it generic
  • You thought you had better artistic direction in house than the original toyline did and thought you could do better
  • You found something about a vagrant and a dead cat offensive in a typical San Francisco-based company type of way
  • You just have utter disdain for your customers in general
  • You didn't put any effort in and created this figure without looking at the toy
  • You can't afford premium sculpting talent, tooling, or paint, so you cut all the corners

Only the top reason is understandable. And if that was the case, you really shouldn't have even bothered at all. Really.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 2.01.37 PM.jpg (21.1 KB, 51 views)
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:12 PM   #4362
teemu
Stone Warrior

Emo rat king.

guarantee Super7 is going to wonder why sales are down
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:26 PM   #4363
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

I dunno... it's definitely nothing like the vintage figure, but I'm kinda digging the handsome Rat King. And even if it's just a redeco, I'm a sucker for Mirage stuff, so I dig that Casey, too. Honestly, I like all 4 of these figures. Buuuuut, I do understand the disappointment from people that were hoping for stuff that's closer to the designs of the vintage toys. I'm starting to wonder if there's something going on behind the scenes. We already know Playmates started meddling with Super7 before, so now I'm wondering if they're cracking down even harder.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:46 PM   #4364
teemu
Stone Warrior

I don't get the half and half masked casey head sculpt. Why not just give him a full revealed head sculpt. This wave just really pisses me off. If its true that Super7 can't re-do the vintage style anymore, then bye bye TMNT ultimates for me. Money goes elsewhere

Apparently,there is a source that says Playmates was throwing a fit over Super7 using their designs to do the ultimates and went to Nickelodeon to demand they stop- which Nickelodeon obliged. Playmates doesn't deserve our money, the big babies and junk toy maker's that they are

Getting ready for Wave 11 General Traag as The Rockbiter

Last edited by teemu; 03-09-2023 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 04:03 PM   #4365
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post

Apparently, there is a source that says Playmates was throwing a fit over Super7 using their designs to do the ultimates and went to Nickelodeon to demand they stop- which Nickelodeon obliged.

That rumor has been in circulation for a while. However, if that's the case, Classic Rocker Leo still looks very faithful to the vintage counterpart - unless Playmates only has issues with designs that they plan to re-release and the Rocker Turtles 4-pack is not on their radar.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 04:24 PM   #4366
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
That rumor has been in circulation for a while. However, if that's the case, Classic Rocker Leo still looks very faithful to the vintage counterpart - unless Playmates only has issues with designs that they plan to re-release and the Rocker Turtles 4-pack is not on their radar.
Could be specific to Rat King and that's why the Emo Rat King instead, but in the meantime, we wait another decade for them to give us a proper RK and finish the line.
Old 03-09-2023, 04:52 PM   #4367
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
I don't get the half and half masked casey head sculpt. Why not just give him a full revealed head sculpt. This wave just really pisses me off.
I think it's supposed to be a battle damaged type of thing. Like his mask got cracked during a fight. I kinda like it, but I would prefer a completely unmasked head. Would have been even better to get both that cracked masked head and a fully unmasked head. I wonder if it's possible to bug Super7 into doing it...

Quote:
Great to hear that Ninja Newscaster has been updated to better reflect the inspiration from Varner Studios.
That kinda thing is pretty cool. Would be nice if there had been one more head without anything on it, though. I guess I just say this being a bit disappointed with most of the heads that came with the basic April. The only head I liked was the one with the headset, but I can't have April have the headset on 24/7, of course. Honestly, at this point, I dunno why Super7 doesn't release an accessory pack, even if it's just nothing but alternate heads. I still want an unmasked Shredder head.

Quote:
Classic Rocker Leo looks excellent but I don't get his constipated alternate head sculpt.
I think it's supposed to go with playing the guitar, like he's rocking out with his eyes closed doing a crazy riff. It also could double as putting it on regular Leo training with a blindfold.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised. Rat King is a basic figure, and Playmates has been re-releasing those in droves, but only occasionally dipping into the alts. This... could be problematic. I was hoping for figures that resembled the storage shell Turtles, and a non-GITD option for getting colored belts.

Though... I suppose one loophole to this could be that Super7's version wouldn't have the storage shells themselves, just have the Turtles with that look, which I'd honestly be completely fine with. It's a nice gimmick for the Playmates toys that are aimed for kids, and give them a unique feature exclusive to them, so I'm hoping this could be a compromise they'd allow. Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself here, without knowing anything about what the future even holds, anyway.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 05:18 PM   #4368
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Agreed. Great to hear that Ninja Newscaster has been updated to better reflect the inspiration from Varner Studios.
I went back to look through the Varner art in the art books I have but I could not find one of April in the martial arts styled gi. Really thought there was at least one concept drawing but I see all of them giving her variations on the skin tight leotard. So I guess that is another Super7 original design. Maybe another case of Playmates Toys playing legal hardball?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 05:37 PM   #4369
staypuftweepel
Foot Soldier

This line was an amazing line. If the Playmates rumor is true then I really don’t wish to Buy much of anything playmates produces now. Not that I did anyway because most of their newer releases have been garbage.

I think Leo looks great, but I’m guessing he was given the ok before Playmates cried to Nickelodeon.

April is an alright figure, but I wish we had another mutant in the wave.

Casey to me just should have been a fifth bonus figure.

Rat King is way off. I’m hoping that maybe he’ll have a subtitle like “animated” or something. If they’re introducing mirage Casey then it’d be alright if they tried to start adding cartoon inspired figures to the line. I just wish it wasn’t all in the same wave. Rat King doesn’t even have a generic crossbow or anything similar to his original action figure so they really had to go out of their way to make him as different as possible. No fine detail on his body No bugs or animals and no Jim Lawson monster face. His body is also completely different proportionately from the other human figures in the toyline. For one thing his head is not big like the others. If you look at him next to Casey, Casey has realistic wrinkles on his clothing that just aren’t there on the Rat King. I’m really hoping he’s just an experiment into dipping into the cartoon style.

Last edited by staypuftweepel; 03-09-2023 at 09:41 PM.
staypuftweepel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 05:51 PM   #4370
Robogeek1973
Thug

Well....this is the first wave that I don't like even one figure from.

But hey, money saved.
Robogeek1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 05:56 PM   #4371
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

I'd also seen the rumors that he is changed for legal reasons. Rocker Leo is mostly the same but different font on the t shirt, bands etc.

So no figure in this wave is 100 percent an old toy.

http://bootd.wordpress.com/
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:39 PM   #4372
TMNTdude87
Thug

Well, I'm out.

I'll keep the four brothers, and the 1988 figures maybe some of the 1989-1990 mutant figures already released but all pre orders are cancelled and I'm selling the rest of the line for whatever I can get for it. If this is the direction they are going in, then it's a betrayal of what the line was supposed to be, and I will no longer be supporting it.
TMNTdude87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:21 AM   #4373
Otter
Stone Warrior

To quote Raphael, "Damn!"

... I was hoping for Usagi.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:25 AM   #4374
frank_one
Mad Scientist

The only good thing I can see is that Mirage Casey opens up the possibility of Mirage Turtles.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:27 AM   #4375
Otter
Stone Warrior

Actually... that Casey is kinda tempting.

Especially since it appears we'll never get that Usagi. And even if we did, given the rumours here about Playmates' interference, I mightn't want it anyway. At least, not to display alongside the Super7 Raph I got specifically to display alongside an eventual Usagi.

Last edited by Otter; 03-10-2023 at 02:33 AM.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 04:03 AM   #4376
Filespit
Hench Mutant

The last wave I bought was Wave 6. These figures have become more and more expensive for international retailers to bring in, so I've kind of paused my Super7 collection. The only figure I'm interested in here is Rat King, who I think looks OK, but the rest are easy passes for me.
Filespit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:17 AM   #4377
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post

Especially since it appears we'll never get that Usagi. And even if we did, given the rumours here about Playmates' interference, I mightn't want it anyway. At least, not to display alongside the Super7 Raph I got specifically to display alongside an eventual Usagi.
If Super7 really wants to throw everyone for a loop, they should make the first comic-book accurate Usagi (assuming that they cannot replicate and upscale the vintage Playmates version). NECA's B&W pseudo comic FW version doesn't count. Then they should top it off by making Gen.

I'm not sure what to expect with this Playmates interference (assuming there is a Playmates interference). Maybe, that's why they are delaying Napoleon. Maybe, he's just a recolor of Genghis.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:35 AM   #4378
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

Rat King is absolutely Playmates meddling.

It almost looks like they started with the Playmates version and then removed everything extra - he's even got the bare knee!

Ninja April also feels 100% like something the vintage line would have done in 1994/1995 to chase Power Rangers' popularity.
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:17 AM   #4379
Reputator
Foot Soldier

I'll be skipping on the Rat King, but I've been picking and choosing from this line from the very beginning. I'm not the least bit upset about it.

Rocker Leo is the only one of this wave I'll be getting.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:39 AM   #4380
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I'm not sure what to expect with this Playmates interference (assuming there is a Playmates interference). Maybe, that's why they are delaying Napoleon.
What's wild is that they're now three or so waves behind now, and I wouldn't even bet on those still hitting this year. When it comes to any potential Playmates interference, I'm wondering now if it's because they're so much more heavily involved with re-releasing the vintage figures that they don't want as much cross-pollination when it comes to particular designs.

The sad part is we'll never get an official word from Super7 either because Bryan Flynn is the master of doing the PR song and dance, and they don't want to come right out and say "Yeah Playmates said we had to stop on a lot of stuff" because it ends up killing the mission statement of this line.

Last edited by RaphaelinSTL; 03-10-2023 at 08:54 AM.
RaphaelinSTL is offline   Reply With Quote