The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 11-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #2201
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Will do. Thanks. I actually didn't think it was non-canonical at first.
I didn't realize it until I read it and as you read through the first issue you will see that it can't be a canon story.

Modernized Silver Age schnanegins. I will not spoil it beyond that. Despite that Aquaman is all emo and badass.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:47 PM   #2202
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
The Justice League Queer will have a story featured in the DC Winter special

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/11/05/ex...to-be-freezin/
Just saw this. I made a thread about it too. It's the technodrome forums and one of these is not like the rest though, so my thread will die on the vine.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #2203
ZariusTwo
Overlord

How does DC plan to hype up the sequel to Shazam? By having Billy Batson sacrifice his powers and give them to his sister Mary

https://www.polygon.com/22778316/dc-...am-mary-marvel
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:48 PM   #2204
Leo656
The Franchise

I used to really, really like Mary Marvel. Then during the time between Infinite Crisis/52 and Final Crisis they completely screwed her up and I haven't paid any attention since.

It's not like I was against the basic "heel turn" story, since they started off decent by delving into her insecurities and feelings of inadequacy and everything and that's why she was going "bad" in search of more power - the whole "Doing Bad Things for Good Reasons" thing - but then at one point as soon as she supposedly "learned her lesson" they immediately had her turn bad AGAIN and by that point it just made her look like a complete idiot who made incredibly bad decisions and had no common sense.

I know they tried to use DeSaad possessing her during Final Crisis as an "out" but that was super-duper lazy AND she'd already been completely ruined way before that whole thing happened. Never a fan of the whole "_______ killed a bunch of people and such, but it's okay, they were possessed, no harm no foul." It's just SO lazy; and as mentioned, it did nothing to excuse or explain all the terrible stuff she did BEFORE that story happened.

Maybe they've somehow managed to get the character back on track over the past decade, I have no idea.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:02 PM   #2205
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic...9/nightwing-87
I am really enjoying Taylor's run on Nightwing. Such a night and day difference between what immediately precedes this. It appears that a storytelling experiment is going to be done in the next issue,#87 due just ahead of Christmas. Not sure what to make of it, but I am fine with it.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:51 AM   #2206
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I picked up a complete set of Crisis on Infinite Earths 1-12 issues 7.0-7.5 range. The overall cost was $68.38 which averages out to $5.70 an issue. I think it is a good investment considering what it is. I noticed getting sets are cheaper than individual issues.

Secret War though seems to go for $250-$300 for the whole set.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:32 AM   #2207
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Re: Action Comics this week

So i think I may have worked out Johnson/DC's angle in 'marking' the anniversary of the death of Superman...I don't think Clark is actually dead here, we'll find he survived, but the United Planets think he's dead and word from them will reach Earth, possibly with the video recording as 'evidence' and everyone, from the JL to Lois to Jon to every joe and jane public citizen will believe him to be dead and will mourn as such...while we the reader follow Clark in Action trying to recover and overcome Mongul Jr.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:57 AM   #2208
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I noticed an upcoming Nightwing issue crosses over with the Superboy limited series. Could I get away with ignoring the comic I don't collect?

Another observation which is probably obvious, a majority of the February releases are either diversity push or Bat titles (some of which cross both).

Good call on The Last Ride,Zarius. Read the first three issues thus far. Hope you picked up Deep Target.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:26 AM   #2209
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I noticed an upcoming Nightwing issue crosses over with the Superboy limited series. Could I get away with ignoring the comic I don't collect?
Just read the issue you would normally buy and find out. That's what people have been doing for decades of titular crossovers. Shouldn't be a big deal at all.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:56 AM   #2211
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The Clayface that appeared in the Nightwing annual was referred to as Preston, as in Preston Payne. He has to wear a containment suit and is the one Clayface who cannot shape-shift. What is up with that?
Old 12-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #2212
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Every time this thread gets bumped I wonder who they turned gay this time.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #2213
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Every time this thread gets bumped I wonder who they turned gay this time.
I try to avoid that topic as much as possible and have retreated to the back issue bin. At DC it's either diverse trash or Bat related stuff, some even crosses over.

So I bought the actual issues of the 'Prey' arc in Legends of the Dark Knight and a set of the actual issues of Crisis on Infinite Earths. However, this has become my collection's crown jewel. So we can talk back issues!

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 03-07-2024 at 10:00 AM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:29 PM   #2214
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The Clayface that appeared in the Nightwing annual was referred to as Preston, as in Preston Payne. He has to wear a containment suit and is the one Clayface who cannot shape-shift. What is up with that?
You should read the Mudpack arc from 'Tec some decades back. It was a good arc and had gorgeous, gorgeous Breyfogle art. I love that guy's work.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:01 PM   #2215
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
You should read the Mudpack arc from 'Tec some decades back. It was a good arc and had gorgeous, gorgeous Breyfogle art. I love that guy's work.
I own them. Detective Comics#604-607.

I also have Matt Hagen, Preston Payne, and Sondra Fuller's 1st appearances.

The Nightwing annual presented a Clayface, but Dick referred to him as 'Preston'. Preston is the one Clayface that cannot shape-shift. Am I missing something in the current continuity?

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 12-03-2021 at 08:27 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #2216
IMJ
Emperor

DC continuity is a mess.... everytime they try to fix it, it only confounds things. The DC Nightwing wiki hasn't had any helpful updates to that particular book yet because it's so new....

Was hoping for a Preston Payne link there.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:26 PM   #2217
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
DC continuity is a mess.... everytime they try to fix it, it only confounds things. The DC Nightwing wiki hasn't had any helpful updates to that particular book yet because it's so new....

I am aware that Basil Karlo was reformed by Tynion for a Batfamily run on Detective Comics though I don't know why Basil reformed.

Considering the 1st Mirror Master was revived for no reason after he was successfully replaced I expected Hagen may return from the beyond considering current circumstances.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #2218
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Justice League: Last Ride

I highly recommend picking up all seven issues of this, it's a great book, Chip Zdarsky is fast becoming one of the most treasured writers in the industry. He's very much the anti-Tom King, as King often starts with optimistic status quos then callously deconstructs them, Zdarsky is the opposite, taking tragic circumstances and forging hopeful stories out of them by the end.

It's definitely worth a read if you're a Hal fan too.

Just brilliant character work, and absolutely zero wokery.
I got a deal from my LCS, the owner gave me the whole set of 7 issues for $21. I do like it so thanks. Not much to like out there these days. A couple of Ninja Turtles indirect inspirations were in the fourth issue. First Darkseid's plan in the past was to teleport nuclear devices to Earth. It seems Zdarksky was inspired by General Blaque's plan in Mirage's TMNT vol. 1. Also, in that issue Wonder Woman's last line of dialogue before charging forward was 'The Justice League....never bluffs!' which made me think of Shredder's iconic line in 'Get Shredder'.

One problem I had with it though was Brainiac is possessing Cyborg Superman, but there is no indication other him referring to Superman by his birth name, Kal-el'. Otherwise its Cyborg Superman. It just seemed like a way of throwing in another villain lazily.

I also noted that while the case is condensed to Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman Flash (Wally West), and two Green Lanterns Hal primarily and Jon secondly. Aquaman is missing. I understand he is hard to write for, but still he is missing. Or at least had Hawkman involved, it just seemed like one or two more could have been included beyond four heroes and two GLs. I was pleased to see Wally as Flash while Hal is the primarily focused Green Lantern. I always liked Hal in the center backed up by John.

It also reads better reading it all at the same time instead of dragged out for six months. Especially considering the non-stop action and picking up right where the previous issue left off. I benefitted from the wait.

If you have not picked up Deep Target yet maybe that approach will work better for your reading experience as The Last Ride was for me reading it all at the same time. I am an actual issue person, but if you prefer you can do the trade paperback.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:05 AM   #2219
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:

I checked the link that you provided again looking to see if it had been updated. It had, but it presented this as Payne's first appearance. That is not true, but it is his first appearance with the ability to shape shift. Must be an editorial goof not knowing the Clayfaces apart from one another and knowledge of each's current status.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:26 AM   #2220
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Well, for DCAU fans, today's Justice League Infinity finally looks set to fully resolve a plot thread left dangling from JLU's conclusion

The League are subjected to an hallucination by the anti-life counterpart to Amazo where they are gradually picked off, Shayera's wings are clipped and she's seemingly murdered, which devastates John. He's narrating the whole issue and he comes to realize no matter how much he denied it, he'll always love her more than Vixen. Vixen realizes this too.

Never thought they'd go with an actual explanation for how John and Shay get back together to ensure the Beyond timeline happens, I always thought it was a brave choice to leave it to open-ended in the show

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman