The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #901
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I've started rewatching Daredevil to get ready for his return to the MCU (ironic, since his was the first modern Marvel show, right? He was part of the MCU, then he wasn't, now he will be again).

Got my ticket to see Spider-Man next Thursday after work
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:03 PM   #903
Coola Yagami
Overlord

To be honest, I'm no longer watching these. They're barely leaving anything to be surprised at in the actual movie.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:30 PM   #904
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm not sure how to break it to you, but if any movie is only enjoyable based on the strength of its "surprises", then the actual movie itself isn't very good.

Which is why I absolutely drown myself in spoilers and in turn thoroughly enjoy about 99% of the things I watch. The pity I feel for people who obstinately insist that they actually like surprises (in spite of a gigantic mountain of scientific study and evidence which speaks completely to the contrary) is real.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:14 PM   #905
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm not sure how to break it to you, but if any movie is only enjoyable based on the strength of its "surprises", then the actual movie itself isn't very good.

Which is why I absolutely drown myself in spoilers and in turn thoroughly enjoy about 99% of the things I watch. The pity I feel for people who obstinately insist that they actually like surprises (in spite of a gigantic mountain of scientific study and evidence which speaks completely to the contrary) is real.
Being surprised doesn't make the movie better, it's just fun.

Just like opening presents under the tree. The gift isn't better because you were surprised by it. It was just fun to live out the moment of opening it up and learning firsthand.

Ever since some studies came out citing that people enjoy things more when they know how they play out, this sort of rhetoric has formed that surprises are worthless.
While I agree that

A.a movie should be more than the sum of it's surprises.
and
B. it's generally easier to enjoy a story once your expectations are out of the way...
that doesn't mean there is no enjoyment in the act of being surprised.

Last edited by AquaParade; 12-11-2021 at 08:20 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:18 PM   #906
Leo656
The Franchise

I love it whenever the Exact Person who I was baiting to respond with a particular post does indeed respond. Good to know my manipulative powers are still in good working order, even in such uncertain times.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:20 PM   #907
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
I love it whenever the Exact Person who I was baiting to respond with a particular post does indeed respond. Good to know my manipulative powers are still in good working order, even in such uncertain times.
It's nice to be thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
To be honest, I'm no longer watching these. They're barely leaving anything to be surprised at in the actual movie.
Sony has a pretty bad habit of this. I always try to avoid their trailers, at least after the first one.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:21 PM   #908
Leo656
The Franchise

Here's one for Cubed: "Male Bisexuality is a Real Thing, and NOT just a pit stop on a guy's path to Full Blown Gay-Town."

Let's see if he bites. He's been iffy lately.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:25 PM   #909
AquaParade
Banned

My little pony is not for grown men.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #910
Leo656
The Franchise

Let's not say things we can't take back. This could get really ugly really fast and I don't think anyone wants that.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #911
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, the timing can't be coincidence. No Way Home with Matt Murdock in it hits this coming Wednesday at most theaters... same day as episode 5 of Hawkeye, which is supposed to be all about the Kingpin.

Will be a nice week for Daredevil fans.
Funny you should mention Hawkeye...I'm sure you spotted the Rogers: The Musical posters.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #912
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Not so much surprise-surprise as in 'OMG I NEVER SAW THAT COMING'. I just mean surprise as in I'd actually want to see the actual movie without all the major scenes being ruined by the trailers. As it is, there's barely any 'new footage' left to see if they keep sneaking more new scenes in trailers.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:00 PM   #913
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Funny you should mention Hawkeye...I'm sure you spotted the Rogers: The Musical posters.
In what? In Spider-Man?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #914
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

It's in the opening scene they posted on YouTube, pretty sure. Don't think it's really meant to serve as anything other than a little reminder that "everything is connected" and all these stories are taking place in the same world (for now)

I wonder if a tease for Multiverse of Madness will come as one of the post-credits scenes
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #915
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Not so much surprise-surprise as in 'OMG I NEVER SAW THAT COMING'. I just mean surprise as in I'd actually want to see the actual movie without all the major scenes being ruined by the trailers. As it is, there's barely any 'new footage' left to see if they keep sneaking more new scenes in trailers.
It's a legit concern, man. Most people feel this way. The popular contrarian take as of late is "I don't care about spoilers, and neither do you, you just don't realize it."

If you ask me, there is some truth to the fact that knowing the outcome of the story helps you digest and appreciate it. The mind-blowing part is that two things can be true at once:
A. It's easier to appreciate a story once you understand the full scope of it.
B. People enjoy being surprised in the moment.
It's hilarious to me when people try to convince others what they do and don't enjoy.

Btw, I know you believe you like ice cream, but I read a study that says you don't, so don't complain if I eat yours.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:16 AM   #916
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

There definitely have been examples of me spoiling myself on something, not liking what I read or heard... but between being spoiled and seeing the thing, I become able to process it to where it doesn't bother me, or bothers me much less than if I was just walking into it blind.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #917
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There definitely have been examples of me spoiling myself on something, not liking what I read or heard... but between being spoiled and seeing the thing, I become able to process it to where it doesn't bother me, or bothers me much less than if I was just walking into it blind.
For sure. I don't dispute this at all. For me, hype and expectations tend to leave me disappointed. So, once I know all the spoilers, how the plot plays out, etc. then I can truly enjoy the movie for what it is, instead of crying about what it is not. Knowing spoilers can help you appreciate the story. No argument there.

The caveat is the fact that it's simply fun to be surprised. There is a level of enjoyment to going into an experience fresh and seeing it play out first hand, when you don't know what is going to happen. It's fun to tear away the wrapping and see the gift underneath. It doesn't make the gift better, but it is it's own form of pleasure. One truth doesn't negate the other.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #918
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
For sure. I don't dispute this at all. For me, hype and expectations tend to leave me disappointed. So, once I know all the spoilers, how the plot plays out, etc. then I can truly enjoy the movie for what it is, instead of crying about what it is not. Knowing spoilers can help you appreciate the story. No argument there.

The caveat is the fact that it's simply fun to be surprised. There is a level of enjoyment to going into an experience fresh and seeing it play out first hand, when you don't know what is going to happen. It's fun to tear away the wrapping and see the gift underneath. It doesn't make the gift better, but it is it's own form of pleasure. One truth doesn't negate the other.
Yeah. What I sometimes do, though, which is a little counter... I'll look at spoilers and spoil myself, brace myself for them. But then maybe I see other "spoilers" that turn out to be bogus rumors, at the same time. So now I see a thing already having been spoiled, but fingers crossed for the other, fake spoilers to be true and then getting disappointed.

Can't win!
Old 12-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #919
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I remember years ago I wanted to see a movie so badly that I ended up downloading it through some torrents. The next day I went to the theater and watched it a second time enjoying it even more than the first one. That's how much I care about spoilers.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #920
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I remember years ago I wanted to see a movie so badly that I ended up downloading it through some torrents. The next day I went to the theater and watched it a second time enjoying it even more than the first one. That's how much I care about spoilers.
This is part of what's interesting as well - no one has the same definition of "spoiler". For you, Frank_One, watching the movie by way of torrent seems to be a "spoiler", but to me, that's just watching the movie and experiencing it first-hand.

But then again, maybe you downloaded an extremely blurry version that was hardly worth watching, other then to be "spoiled".

Either way, it makes sense to me that you'd enjoy it more the second time, not only because you've had your expectations put in their place (yes, the power of being "spoiled"), but also because you were watching on a giant screen with surround sound.

So there's a lot to consider, imo.

I "love" when people preface themselves in a review discussion by saying "This isn't a spoiler, but...", because it usually is a spoiler by most definitions. Again, we all define "spoiler" a little differently, so there is no consensus, but typically when someone feels the need to say that, it usually is something that does wade into "spoiler" territory. Otherwise, they'd just say what they were going to say without hesitation.

Hopefully it's clear that I'm not the biggest stickler for spoilers or anything. I know 75% of No Way Home's plot by choice. I just think there is a lot of interesting discussion around the topic.

Last edited by AquaParade; 12-13-2021 at 12:17 PM.