The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-08-2024, 11:30 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
If this really is a complete set and they don't skip the Arabian adventures this time, I will actually buy this. I still have all my single issues but they're literally disintegrating (they were printed on cheap 90's paper to begin with), so it'd be nice to sell those off on ebay or something and get them in a collection.
Honestly, yeah. Not the selling off of the originals part, though. Easily accessible quality reprints in big books, I'd take it. And if they want to slide in the annuals and specials and minis and all where they're supposed to go chronologically, great. Even high quality scans cleaned up a bit in Photoshop a bit would suffice, really.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-08-2024 at 11:38 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 01:35 AM   #22
Demon-Alukard
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Honestly, yeah. Not the selling off of the originals part, though. Easily accessible quality reprints in big books, I'd take it. And if they want to slide in the annuals and specials and minis and all where they're supposed to go chronologically, great. Even high quality scans cleaned up a bit in Photoshop a bit would suffice, really.
This is how I did all material for Russian edition. Completely discarded the IDW-provided sources (which were the same scans from the old Archie issues) and made my own, from the British Fleetway reprints for the first half of the series.

The British ones were printed in enlarged format on glossy paper, from the original sources - they are of very good quality. But even the Archie scans can be very well processed if you try hard enough. Instead, IDW applied an additional retro filter and printed them as is. It's disgusting.
Demon-Alukard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:21 PM   #23
TurtleGurkle
Random Punk

Definitely grabbing this, some of those TPBs and issues are expensive and hard to find!
TurtleGurkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:31 PM   #24
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleGurkle View Post
Definitely grabbing this, some of those TPBs and issues are expensive and hard to find!
It's not going to do you any good if they omit issues from the Omnibus and there is story and art gutter loss from bad layouts...
IMJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:36 PM   #25
neatoman
Emperor

It's always sad when when the official distributor does a worse preservation job than enthusiasts. Did you know it's suspected by experts that Nintendo didn't even bother getting ROMs of their own games ready for redistribution, and just downloaded ROMs with the necessary emulator modification off the internet? Or that the Gamecube emulator used for the 3D Superstars version of Mario Sunshine renders test elements visible, even though that's not a problem on unofficial emulators? Or how said collection also has an emulated version of Mario 64, even though we know Nintendo has access to the source and could have easily made the gun run natively on the Switch?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 06:44 PM   #26
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix12345 View Post
If the listing's item description is still accurate, they're actually going to try to reprint everything in reading order this time, including specials, minis, and short stories:

Relive the animated adventures of the TMNT in these classic stories from the Archie Comics series presented in this oversized hardcover!

The original animated TMNT series debuted in December 1987 and began airing full-time in October 1988 by which time the comic series had already been on sale for two months. The first three-issue series proved so popular that it turned into an ongoing series that would run for 72 issues, multiple specials, and various mini-series. This omnibus aims to collect all of the issues in recommended reading order giving fans of the series a reading experience like never before!

Volume 1 collects the original three-issue mini-series, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures issues #1–17, plus the short stories “Zen Million Year to Birth,” “The Night of Monsterex,” “Metamorphosis,” “A Forgotten TMNT Adventure,” “Yo-Ho-Ho! And a Bottle of Mutagen!,” and “Doomsday Hassle in Banshee Castle.”
Going by some of those titles, they might be using the reading order I put together ages ago on my site (https://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2012...ontinuity.html).

I haven't looked back at that in 12 years. Hope they fix anything I might've screwed up instead of just taking my word for it.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 06:09 AM   #27
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

There is a lot about the cover art that screams "Viacom directives" to me. The differing skin tone colors, Splinter being older looking with gray fur... Those colors more closely resemble the 2003 cartoon iteration than anything Archie Adventures related.
I've seen Chris Allan draw Splinter the way he used to in the series very recently- I don't think he would divert that much unless he was directed to, but I could be wrong.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:04 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

A complete collection would be ideal. All those Archie specials, the Mutanimals mini-series, the other mini's like the April O'Neil and Merdude stuff, etc. all in its proper place. IDW also didn't collect Year of the Turtle last time either, they stopped at issue 72, so I hope they collect that this time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 06:30 PM   #29
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
A complete collection would be ideal. All those Archie specials, the Mutanimals mini-series, the other mini's like the April O'Neil and Merdude stuff, etc. all in its proper place. IDW also didn't collect Year of the Turtle last time either, they stopped at issue 72, so I hope they collect that this time.
I've said that for years. They very easily release a two or mmaaayyybbeee three volume Omnibus collection of ALL of the Archie material.
IMJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:33 AM   #30
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Alukard View Post
This is how I did all material for Russian edition. Completely discarded the IDW-provided sources (which were the same scans from the old Archie issues) and made my own, from the British Fleetway reprints for the first half of the series.

The British ones were printed in enlarged format on glossy paper, from the original sources - they are of very good quality. But even the Archie scans can be very well processed if you try hard enough. Instead, IDW applied an additional retro filter and printed them as is. It's disgusting.
This is definitely the route that should be taken for achieving the best possible result. I've purchased a few the Russian edition hardcovers and the page and art quality are the best I could hope for. The Russian edition cover art from Chris Allan was also amazing. I'll likely purchase more of those soon.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:16 PM   #31
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
If this really is a complete set and they don't skip the Arabian adventures this time, I will actually buy this. I still have all my single issues but they're literally disintegrating (they were printed on cheap 90's paper to begin with), so it'd be nice to sell those off on ebay or something and get them in a collection.
I personally love my disintegrating originals many are signed by someone involved with the issue and the creases, rips, etc make me love them more. Nothing like childhood nostalgia!

That being said I remember waiting anxiously for each volume of the TPBs to be announced and released because, heck, anything TMNT Adventures just had to be purchased. The covers mostly sucked (why not call up THE man Chris Allan!) and they skipped some great issues (hello, Shredder returns? Dramatic!). But I still had to have them for completists sake.

I would double dip for these for new Chris Allan cover art alone. But seriously, lose the 4-toned colors and the gray Splinter coloring. Just color them the way we remember - easy! It reminds me of some of the TMNT Fred Wolf DVDs, where we got 2003-ish looking Splinter in some of the packaging and multi-toned TMNT scattered throughout. Weird.

Sidenote about the skipped issues - The run of their international travels was informative as a kid. The book leveled up and didn’t treat kids like dummies. Those issues are worth bringing back.

Last edited by darthsmozers; 05-03-2024 at 06:44 PM.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote