The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #21
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It wasn't "evolved" at all, it was straight up scrapped for being "too dark & violent". Kevin Eastman was quoted as saying it would have been the best TMNT movie ever made.
If anyone needs me I'm gonna be screaming forever.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #22
ShellShock
Random Punk

While I'm content with how the new movies are, I wouldn't mind seeing one based off the Mirage comics though it'll probably never happen because of Nickelodeon owning TMNT now.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
While I'm content with how the new movies are, I wouldn't mind seeing one based off the Mirage comics though it'll probably never happen because of Nickelodeon owning TMNT now.
We got a Mirage based movie when the Fred Wolf TMNT was at the height of its popularity so never say never.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #24
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
We got a Mirage based movie when the Fred Wolf TMNT was at the height of its popularity so never say never.
I think they mean black and white, hard corer, that kind of thing. No Leo just slicing a cut in Shredder's arm, but him cutting his head clean off!
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #25
tmntpower2k14
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
I think they mean black and white, hard corer, that kind of thing. No Leo just slicing a cut in Shredder's arm, but him cutting his head clean off!
Bad ass.

Remember reading this interview in 2009. Hard to believe it's been 5 years ago already. This would've been a really cool, dark, visceral movie ... but with Nick getting the rights?

I don't think it's an actual movie that could unite new fans, children, adults, old school fans and prosper. It would be alienating.

Just like the '90 movie which combined elements of Mirage, and '87 Wolf toon. Found a good balance. I feel the new 2k14 movie does the same to it's best abilities to combine IDW, and the Nick toon.
tmntpower2k14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #26
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

Yeah I remember reading the annoucement and being hyped about what sounded like it would be the best tmnt movie ever. Words cannot express how much I wish laird would've just seen to it that this movie got made before he sold the rights. All I hope now is that someday ill get the chance to read fuscos script that paramount rejected.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #27
Bob
Stone Warrior

I also want to read that script.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #28
pennydreadful
trash

Ditto; this would've been fantastic to see. I guess we'll just have to hope for a script leak at this stage.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #29
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTMNT2012 View Post
Seemed like they were more interested in making good martial arts scenes rather than an actual movie.
Seeing that we didn't get either in the movie we got... at least this would have been half right.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also if I remember correctly the new movie wasn't intended to be a reboot, but a loose continuity of the old movies in the same way the 2007 movie was.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #31
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Also if I remember correctly the new movie wasn't intended to be a reboot, but a loose continuity of the old movies in the same way the 2007 movie was.
That's the first I've heard of that. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the old Hallmark miniseries that was going to be directed by Barron?

I have acquaintance that has read the Fusco script and they didn't say a word about it being an continuation of the old movies.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #32
Radical Raph
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Man...what could have been. This is when the movie news was originally announced back in 2009, which was even before they announced the sale to Nick:

http://plairdblog.blogspot.com/2009/...ohn-fusco.html

Imagine if they went with the original directors with Peter Laird was executive producer? We would have gotten a billion times better movie than what we got.

It makes me sad knowing what could have been.
We might have gotten turtles that actually used martial arts.

Radical Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #33
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Just in case you weren't disappointed enough in what we actually got, here's something Tristan Jones posted on his Facebook page:

Quote:
I remember about five years ago talking to Gary Richardson about the script for the pre-Bay TMNT movie -- the one we probably would've got before Bay got involved -- and there was this great idea that tied Splinter's knowledge of martial arts to martial arts based on the movements of animals. I remember really loving this idea, and how it reinforced the bond between Hamato Yoshi and Splinter pre-mutation, and how it did so much to reinforce a sense of mysticism in that world without really doing much at all AND made the "rat knows ninja stuffs" idea probably the most palatable it's been since the first Mirage comic (which was just "here it is, take it or leave it").

Now Splinter just learns it from a book he finds in the sewers. Because sure.

Sigh...
How perfect would that have been!?

AUGH, PLATINUM DUUUUNES!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #34
Lou 500
Hench Mutant

Don't a lot of martial artists take the inspiration of their moves from animals? I agree, Yoshi learning from Splinter is a lot easier to digest.
Lou 500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #35
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
I have acquaintance that has read the Fusco script and they didn't say a word about it being an continuation of the old movies.
did he share any more info about it? Like about the story or tone or anything? I heard it decribed as being similar to batman begins in tone and id love to know how true that is.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #36
jenna
Mad Scientist

Aww maaaan. This would have been amazing. Platinum Dunes should take note.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #37
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post
Aww maaaan. This would have been amazing. Platinum Dunes should take note.
This project is what eventually "evolved" (to put it way too nicely) into the Platinum Dunes movie, right? You'd figure all the early notes, drafts and whatnot would have been available to them.

Then again, the second Bay and PD got involved I'm sure they threw it all out and went straight for "mind-numbingly stupid". That's their whole house style.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #38
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

the one thing I respect about Fusco, is that, in addition to being a writer, he is a martial artist - I remember reading an article about his script for Forbidden Kingdom, and the directors, and producers were shocked about how much detail he went into when describing fights, going so far as to suggest specific styles and strikes, which is generally the role of the director working with the lead fight choreographer.

but for me, his dialogue has never been too engaging. but to each, his (her) own.
graphic_content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #39
jenna
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
This project is what eventually "evolved" (to put it way too nicely) into the Platinum Dunes movie, right? You'd figure all the early notes, drafts and whatnot would have been available to them.

Then again, the second Bay and PD got involved I'm sure they threw it all out and went straight for "mind-numbingly stupid". That's their whole house style.
My fantasy is that PD will recognise from the huge opening weekend that there is a real appetite for Ninja Turtles, but also that declining figures suggest that fans deserve better in the way of quality, which would lead to a rethink for the sequel and of course a more sustainable success at the good old box office.

Wishful thinking, I know....
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #40
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post
My fantasy is that PD will recognise from the huge opening weekend that there is a real appetite for Ninja Turtles, but also that declining figures suggest that fans deserve better in the way of quality, which would lead to a rethink for the sequel and of course a more sustainable success at the good old box office.

Wishful thinking, I know....
This. The movie is obviously dropping like a rock, indicating that the massive opening showed that people still love and are interested in a TMNT movie, but next weekend, with the possibility of a 60 to 70 percent drop, and that GOTG might over take it this weekend shows that people just don't care for a TMNT movie that is poorly constructed.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote