The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 09-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #501
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Gameboy games are fun even if the first two are simplistic. It's not really a big deal when the games are 20-30 minutes long as opposed to modern games which can take 15-30 hours to finish. You can literally play through every game in this collection in a single day if you wanted to.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:05 AM   #502
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
It’s like eating crappy cereal because Spider-Man is on the box.
But maybe the toy inside is amazing?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:10 AM   #503
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
But maybe the toy inside is amazing?
I mean that would have convinced me, as a young child. If beating the Gameboy games unlocked something, maybe I'd be for it.

Not that I mean to be too harsh on the Gameboy games - that's just the example I chose, because I don't really enjoy them. The point is, if something isn't actively appealing, I can't imagine pushing myself through it just because it's quick and free, but whatever floats your boat.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #504
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think the only Gameboy game I was ever able to sit down and play from beginning to end (I mean as a kid on the Gameboy itself, not like later on in an emulator or something) without losing interest was Link's Awakening. Nothing else. Certainly not any TMNT games.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:06 PM   #505
CyberCubed
Overlord

TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan is my favorite of the gameboy games. Its 20 minutes long, really easy, but for to play. Rocksteady, Bebop, Baxter, Shredder and Krang are the bosses. Really funny how Krang is the final boss of the game and not Shredder.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:38 PM   #506
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
TMNT II NES is better than the Arcade for me, and the SNES Turtles in Time is much better than the Arcade version for obvious reason. Really not sure why you wouldn't play through them, what's the point of getting the collection if you're not going to play through every game? Besides that these games take 30 minutes to beat so it's not even a time investment.
You say the console ports are better, but that's your opinion. Plus do you care to elaborate on your claim on why Turtles in Time for the SNES is better than the arcade version? Besides, it's not like I flat out said I'd never play the console ports again, and in fact gave a reason on why I would. I haven't played every game in the collection before getting it, and there's a chance that I may not like those games enough to play them again once I try them. I've always liked the idea of being able to play arcade perfect versions at home, and not having a machine taking up space is a definite plus. So I'm fine with my purchase already.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:10 AM   #507
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, as far as consensus is concerned, most people only give the arcade version of Turtles In Time the edge insofar as music and graphics. The SNES version having extra levels, Bosses, and Slash instead of some random concrete monster or whatever is enough to put it over in most people's minds.

I know you asked Cubed but he's not on right now and I assume his answer would be pretty much the same.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:27 AM   #508
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
You say the console ports are better, but that's your opinion. Plus do you care to elaborate on your claim on why Turtles in Time for the SNES is better than the arcade version? Besides, it's not like I flat out said I'd never play the console ports again, and in fact gave a reason on why I would. I haven't played every game in the collection before getting it, and there's a chance that I may not like those games enough to play them again once I try them. I've always liked the idea of being able to play arcade perfect versions at home, and not having a machine taking up space is a definite plus. So I'm fine with my purchase already.
SNES Turtles in Time has always been considered superior to the Arcade version, where are you getting this from?

SNES version has a full new stage (Technodrome), multiple new bosses like Rat King, Slash over Cement Man, Shredder in the big robot machine you have to throw Foot Soldiers into at the screen, Bebop/Rocksteady in the Pirate Ship (Bebop/Rocksteady aren't in the Arcade version at all), and Super Shredder over regular Shredder.

There are 5 new bosses in the SNES version as a whole, Rat King, Slash, Bebop/Rocksteady, Shredder in the robot in the Technodrome stage, and Super Shredder. And there's no Technodrome stage in the Arcade version. How on earth do you not consider the SNES version an improvement?

The SNES version has been considered the definitive version for years. You want a version WITHOUT Slash, Bebop and Rocksteady, Rat King, Shredder and Super Shredder and a new Technodrome stage??? The Arcade version is missing so much.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:05 AM   #509
AquaParade
Banned

What is it I like so much about the original Arcade game? Most people seem to prefer Turtles in Time, in terms of beat-em-ups, but I’ve always liked the Arcade game more.

Is it the level design? Nostalgia? Rose colored glasses? Or maybe just the interstitial screen caps that advance the story. Idk.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:08 AM   #510
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I mean, as far as consensus is concerned, most people only give the arcade version of Turtles In Time the edge insofar as music and graphics. The SNES version having extra levels, Bosses, and Slash instead of some random concrete monster or whatever is enough to put it over in most people's minds.

I know you asked Cubed but he's not on right now and I assume his answer would be pretty much the same.
Quote:
SNES Turtles in Time has always been considered superior to the Arcade version, where are you getting this from?

SNES version has a full new stage (Technodrome), multiple new bosses like Rat King, Slash over Cement Man, Shredder in the big robot machine you have to throw Foot Soldiers into at the screen, Bebop/Rocksteady in the Pirate Ship (Bebop/Rocksteady aren't in the Arcade version at all), and Super Shredder over regular Shredder.

There are 5 new bosses in the SNES version as a whole, Rat King, Slash, Bebop/Rocksteady, Shredder in the robot in the Technodrome stage, and Super Shredder. And there's no Technodrome stage in the Arcade version. How on earth do you not consider the SNES version an improvement?

The SNES version has been considered the definitive version for years. You want a version WITHOUT Slash, Bebop and Rocksteady, Rat King, Shredder and Super Shredder and a new Technodrome stage??? The Arcade version is missing so much.
I've already acknowledged that the console ports have things the arcade versions don't, but not everybody would agree that it makes them better. It doesn't necessarily mean they don't like the console versions either, and nor does it mean they wouldn't play them again.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:05 AM   #511
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

My goodness, the online for the Switch version is extremely laggy! It's absolutely horrendous! One group I joined ended up quitting.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:08 AM   #512
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
What is it I like so much about the original Arcade game? Most people seem to prefer Turtles in Time, in terms of beat-em-ups, but I’ve always liked the Arcade game more.

Is it the level design? Nostalgia? Rose colored glasses? Or maybe just the interstitial screen caps that advance the story. Idk.
The original arcade game is still good fun, I can take either of them over one another.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #513
Sumac
Banned

Quote:

I kinda prefer it to TiT as well. While TiT is a gorgeous game and plays better, its levels feel generic, like its the same levels you can find almost in any other arcade / console game and nothing immediately screams TMNT about them.

I'd say, if Hyperstone Heist was completely realized, instead of a rushjob it was (if there ever was a plan to make it a bigger game), it would have been a superior experience to both arcade games, but, alas.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #514
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think the problem is how many unique levels can a TMNT game have?

- Streets of Manhattan
- Sewer level
- April's apartment
- Channel 6 (surprised they didn't do this till Shredder's Revenge)
- Fighting Dojo's
- Technodrome level
- Dimension X/outer space level

And anything else has been done already, like a highway (TMNT 2), a construction area (TMNT 2, Gameboy games), a beach (TMNT III), an alien spaceship (TMNT III and Turtles in Time), so the time travel levels did open a change of pace.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:32 PM   #515
Sumac
Banned

NES version of Arcade game and Manhattan Project pulled it nicely, without problems, so I don't see a reason why there is a need to resort to time travel and whatnot.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:41 AM   #516
CyberCubed
Overlord

Exclamation

It's a nice change of scenery. There's not many other locations on Earth to use. The Tournament Fighters games had some unique ideas for stages even if they don't really make sense for the characters. Like Chrome Dome battling in a museum or Wingnut on a rocker stage.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:57 PM   #517
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
It's a nice change of scenery. There's not many other locations on Earth to use. The Tournament Fighters games had some unique ideas for stages even if they don't really make sense for the characters. Like Chrome Dome battling in a museum or Wingnut on a rocker stage.
Rocker Stage makes sense with the whole "radical" aesthetic of the game. Museum - not so much.
Old 09-09-2022, 04:45 PM   #518
CyberCubed
Overlord

Armaggon's stage being a smashed pirate ship, I like to believe it was the same one from Hyperstone Heist (which is the same one from Turtles IV just ruined 100's of years later).
Old 09-09-2022, 04:59 PM   #519
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The 1987 Trutles are very versatile, they were essentially superheroes, with plots that took them many places and all around the world. So yeah, an underground level, an atlantis level, a level in the moon, on a space ship, a level in a restaurant, a supermarket, a Mall, in the middle of the woods. All you need is imagination. Of course fans will always demand a sewer, technodrome, NY streets level but you can get creative with the rest.

I would've loved a Game Boy version of Tournament Fighters. Also a shame that there was never an early 3D PS1 or N64 TMNT Next Mutation game. I can imagine it being a crappy 3D beat em up with some charm that would've made a good AVGN episode and a fun addition to this collection.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:51 PM   #520
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Also a shame that there was never an early 3D PS1 or N64 TMNT Next Mutation game. I can imagine it being a crappy 3D beat em up with some charm that would've made a good AVGN episode and a fun addition to this collection.
Well, Mutant Melee always looked 32bit quality to me, haha.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote