The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Time Mistress
Stone Warrior

We are lucky fans

I think it's safe to say at this point that most of us think this new movie pretty much rocks! The animation! The voice acting! All top notch! And I can't help but feel lucky and greatful that it turned out as well as it did. From the beginning Kevin has shown a dedication and true understanding of what makes the TMNT "work." And the result has been nothing short of a deserving shout of "cowabunga!"

I think this movie is a very important accomplishment not just for TMNT but in the bigger sense as well in a decade full of comic book movies and 80s nostalgia. TMNT will be considered up there with the X-Men and Spider-Man movies rather than the bottom with Hulk or Elecktra. As a fan of anything, you want to see it come out right on the big screen. But when it's a favorite, you worry that much more. I am scared to death to see what Transformers is going to be like on the big screen this summer (being the one franchise I have loved longer and more than TMNT.) But everything that Transformers seems to be doing wrong this year, I see TMNT doing right, movie wise anyway. (Though Transformers will have Peter Cullen which at least gurantees me seeing the film.)

I guess what I am trying to say is, in a year that has more movies that have me excited to see them more than any other year I can remember, I think I just saw the best movie of the year already on March 23rd, and it was TMNT. It's one thing to see a awesome movie from a franchise you like (Pirates, Spidey, Fantastic Four, Harry Potter), it's another to see a awesome movie from a franchise you LOVE like TMNT!

"You just made your last mistake, Bugeyes -- 'cuz nobody beats up my best buddy and gets away with it -- Nobody! Got that?!"
Raphael about Michaelangelo, TMNT Volume 1

Last edited by Time Mistress; 03-24-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
kerfootw
Hench Mutant

Indeed. I already toasted Munroe and the guys just recently but what the hey, I'll do it again. (raises glass)
Old 03-24-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
Kunoichi_Haruko
A shell of a good hit!

I'll join you in shouting "COWABUNGA!!!"

Man, even though Kevin was bound by Warner Bros. stipulations, he did his damnest to make sure the Turtles got their due. And Imagi didn't slack, either. Here's hoping they both get more great projects in the future! ::raises glass::

Excellent job!
Old 03-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunoichi_Haruko View Post
I'll join you in shouting "COWABUNGA!!!"

Man, even though Kevin was bound by Warner Bros. stipulations, he did his damnest to make sure the Turtles got their due. And Imagi didn't slack, either. Here's hoping they both get more great projects in the future! ::raises glass::

Excellent job!
A sequel! A sequel should -- nay, must be made! Kudos to Munroe and his talented artists!
Old 03-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
blueoakleyz
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Mistress View Post
I think it's safe to say at this point that most of us think this new movie pretty much rocks! The animation! The voice acting! All top notch! And I can't help but feel lucky and greatful that it turned out as well as it did. From the beginning Kevin has shown a dedication and true understanding of what makes the TMNT "work." And the result has been nothing short of a deserving shout of "cowabunga!"

I think this movie is a very important accomplishment not just for TMNT but in the bigger sense as well in a decade full of comic book movies and 80s nostalgia. TMNT will be considered up there with the X-Men and Spider-Man movies rather than the bottom with Hulk or Elecktra. As a fan of anything, you want to see it come out right on the big screen. But when it's a favorite, you worry that much more. I am scared to death to see what Transformers is going to be like on the big screen this summer (being the one franchise I have loved longer and more than TMNT.) But everything that Transformers seems to be doing wrong this year, I see TMNT doing right, movie wise anyway. (Though Transformers will have Peter Cullen which at least gurantees me seeing the film.)

I guess what I am trying to say is, in a year that has more movies that have me excited to see them more than any other year I can remember, I think I just saw the best movie of the year already on March 23rd, and it was TMNT. It's one thing to see a awesome movie from a franchise you like (Pirates, Spidey, Fantastic Four, Harry Potter), it's another to see a awesome movie from a franchise you LOVE like TMNT!
The animation (Well the art design, the animation-the way it all flowed was fine) was awful and cartoony but the voice actors, save for Buffy as April was all good. The story wasn't that bad either and it drew me in. And yeah, it's weird there are so many movies to go to this year. I've seen like 6 in the past 2 months when last year I only saw like 3. I even liked 300 which was written by frank miller and i HATED sin city.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Stop insitgating troll, your whining means nothing here
Old 03-24-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
blueoakleyz
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Stop insitgating troll, your whining means nothing here
So only positive opinions are allowed here?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:57 PM   #8
Kunoichi_Haruko
A shell of a good hit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoakleyz View Post
Well, I'd say so. Think of it this way, blueoakleyz-- instead of the franchise fading away into oblivion, we have another chance for the Turtles to be shown again in theaters. Even if you don't agree with the art style, aren't you at least happy that you have an art style to criticize? C'mon dude-- The Turtles Are Back!!! Be thankful! Geez!
Old 03-24-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
blueoakleyz
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunoichi_Haruko View Post
Well, I'd say so. Think of it this way, blueoakleyz-- instead of the franchise fading away into oblivion, we have another chance for the Turtles to be shown again in theaters. Even if you don't agree with the art style, aren't you at least happy that you have an art style to criticize?
Yeah, I liked the movie. But everyone should still be critical of things they don't like in life.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Yeah, I liked the movie. But everyone should still be critical of things they don't like in life.
Dude, you're seriously raining on our parade here.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:00 PM   #11
Kunoichi_Haruko
A shell of a good hit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoakleyz
But what I'm saying is this isn't the thread for that. It's a "feel good" thread, see? We're happy we got a film---we're not debating whether CGI was a blessing or a curse. So kill the nonsense.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:01 PM   #12
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Good, then I have no problem saying none of us like you.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:02 PM   #13
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
no just zarius is the only one allowed to be negative on the technodrome..
Old 03-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #14
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
no just zarius is the only allowed to be negative on the technodrome..
...And Peanut. But he's gotten better lately.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
...And Peanut. But he's gotten better lately.
to true I used to as well now I just feel as if everyones nagging me for why I don't like stuff do I really need a reason I don't like something I don't.
Some people think they are the lords and masters of turtledom.
I'm sick of explaining myself like 30 times to people.
We have to give reason why we like something but they don't have to when they say it just down right is stupid or sucks nice that to me is a troll.
I've been done with highschool for years I'd like to keep it that way.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:10 PM   #16
Peanut
Second Gear

Firstly, Zarius...that post? Godly. I laughed for at least a minute straight. Second, thanks Ecto, I'm trying.

And this oakleyz dude? Tone it down, man. We all got your point, there are certain things about the movie you didn't like. That doesn't mean you need to say the same thing in every thread, alright?

As for the topic at hand, yes, we are very lucky. Take a look at how most of these revival things have gone. Just take one look at the Transformers movie. We were lucky enough to get people involved in this project who cared, who knew what they were doing, and who wanted to, above all, please the fans.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #17
Masked Ninja
Doodles TMNT for fun

Quote:
The animation (Well the art design, the animation-the way it all flowed was fine) was awful and cartoony but the voice actors, save for Buffy as April was all good. The story wasn't that bad either and it drew me in. And yeah, it's weird there are so many movies to go to this year. I've seen like 6 in the past 2 months when last year I only saw like 3. I even liked 300 which was written by frank miller and i HATED sin city.
Question: You said in another thread that you wanted a movie more like the old cartoon. And yet, you think the design for the movie was too cartoony? I find this hard to put together in my mind, care to elaborate?

Though I would agree with you a little on the human characters... can't work out why but they were a tad too catoony for me. I think it must be the acting quality in the animation... Pixar can pull off those kind of designs because the visual acting is very realistic. But in TMNT it was often as cartoony as the designs, with exceptions here and there.

I still adore the turtles' designs, though. Some of their wide grins reminded me a lot of early Mirage, and I love their builds... since they're short characters, they can be lean with some funky proportions and still look tough... as well as looking capable of sweet acrobatics.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:31 PM   #18
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Ninja View Post
Though I would agree with you a little on the human characters... can't work out why but they were a tad too catoony for me. I think it must be the acting quality in the animation... Pixar can pull off those kind of designs because the visual acting is very realistic. But in TMNT it was often as cartoony as the designs, with exceptions here and there.

I still adore the turtles' designs, though. Some of their wide grins reminded me a lot of early Mirage, and I love their builds... since they're short characters, they can be lean with some funky proportions and still look tough... as well as looking capable of sweet acrobatics.
I may not be blue but for me it was the large eyes I didn't understand that one I think that was the thing making them look like bratz dolls but mostly april.
I was fine with how max looked but I think that mostly had to do with the fact that he was a new character we had never seen before.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #19
blueoakleyz
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Ninja View Post
Question: You said in another thread that you wanted a movie more like the old cartoon. And yet, you think the design for the movie was too cartoony? I find this hard to put together in my mind, care to elaborate?

Like most things in life, it's complex and isn't a simple "either have it this or way or don't". To make it simple though I would have preferred a live action movie that involved Krang.

The human characters were just non proportional and looked really bad. Perhaps it was for the best that they said "Screw it lets just make them cartoony so people will know that's what they were going for" because if they had gone for realistic, even if something slight was off/inaccurate, humans are adept at noticing even if they don't know exactly WHAT it is they're noticing. Ever see something and say "That doesn't look quite right... I can't put my finger on why though"? So maybe that's what they thought.. I'd still prefer realistic humans.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:39 PM   #20
Fledermaus
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Like most things in life, it's complex and isn't a simple "either have it this or way or don't". To make it simple though I would have preferred a live action movie that involved Krang.

The human characters were just non proportional and looked really bad. Perhaps it was for the best that they said "Screw it lets just make them cartoony so people will know that's what they were going for" because if they had gone for realistic, even if something slight was off/inaccurate, humans are adept at noticing even if they don't know exactly WHAT it is they're noticing. Ever see something and say "That doesn't look quite right... I can't put my finger on why though"? So maybe that's what they thought.. I'd still prefer realistic humans.
We get it. Please go away. Don't you have a thread for people who didn't enjoy the movie? This is a celebration thread, not an analysis thread.

And I agree with Masked One on the humans. Actually, I think the human acting for April was fairly good in the campfire scene. I really liked that part.

But yeah. For the most part, I think the turtles got all the serious animation attention when it came to acting.

Nothing groundbreaking, but certainly nothing to complain about. Oops. Celebration thread, not analytical thread.

I'm still really excited about the movie. I'm planning to see again some time next week. I laugh at the notion that I enjoyed this crazy film so much. The parts that were weak didn't bother me, because I cared most about the family and how'd they'd come back together. Like some reviewer said (non-professional), the plot is nothing more than a MacGuffin.

Anyways, wow. I feel like this was only the tip of the iceberg in terms of what can be explored, story and characterwise. The friends I was with (not fans of TMNT except for when they were little) agreed that the movie was awesome, but that they felt like it should have been longer, like there was a lot of stuff we didn't see...

And I got this excitement, that, man these are the badass Turtles I always dreamed of -- but this is only the beginning! Imagine what stories can be told in the next movie. I can't get over how real and believable the movie felt at times -- as characters, the turtles were more expressive and, in my personal opinion, more believable. I could reach out and touch them. The movie was animated, but it felt like live action.

You know, there's this term in art called "sfumato." It's a term used to describe what made Leonardo da Vinci's artwork so lifelike. Basically, you only define the essential elements of the picture -- for example, a woman's face -- but then deliberately choose to leave some parts vague. Da Vinci chose the corners of the eyes, because the eyes are so crucial in making us believe in the portrait we see.

In some ways, I feel like animation does this in its own way. It can get more believable than a live-action film. So, anyways, thank you so much Kevin! I haven't been this proud of the turtles in years.
We're calling it a freeway. Eight lanes of shimmering cement running from here to Pasadena. Smooth, safe, fast. Traffic jams will be a thing of the past. I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night! Soon there will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food! Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see! My God... It'll be beautiful.

Last edited by Fledermaus; 03-24-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Closed Thread