The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 12-13-2023, 04:53 AM   #21
Barkworm
Super Moderator

In rock music, occult themes and sometimes full-on satanist messages have been a thing for half a century. Black Sabbath had occult lyrics in 1969. Swedish Black Metal band Watain has been performing in front of hundreds of people covered in genuine animal blood and intestines since 1998. They are not the only one.

It‘s some disturbing **** but it‘s nothing new at all.

In general, I‘m too lazy to post a link that Leo would always post in a thread like this but you know which one it is. The George Carlin one about his opinion on religion.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 08:57 AM   #22
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
I guess the rebels of Gen Z will start wearing nice clean clothes and carry around Bibles all the while saying “God bless you” and “Jesus loves you” just to tick off the older satanists.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/20/35/5a/2...24691095b0.jpg
That is the upcoming counter culture where kids are going to rebel against their parents.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 11:39 AM   #23
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
We probably won't agree on this, but I think Hedonism equals to Satanism, they are interchangable.
Noooo....
I mean maybe in it's most ravenous form. But even then the pursuit of "self pleasure" doesn't preclude the fact that you can still do for others or follow the tenets of God, whatever your god may be.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 01:26 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm View Post
In rock music, occult themes and sometimes full-on satanist messages have been a thing for half a century. Black Sabbath had occult lyrics in 1969. Swedish Black Metal band Watain has been performing in front of hundreds of people covered in genuine animal blood and intestines since 1998. They are not the only one.
No, this isn't quite the same thing these. This is pervasive, exuding beyond just metal or niche rock groups, and extending into a whole new street and cultural (and not just popcultural) level. I'm seeing it around Seattle amongst groups I never would have before.

And I get it. I was once an angsty teenager who'd wear an anti-christ necklace around in the hopes that, say, some Christians might see it and be aghast, because screw them and their stupid religion we don't need anymore as a society (this was me, at the time). So I think that's a component of it. Rather than saying, "I gotta tell ya, Tom, I'm really enjoying my hedonism today" it's much more pointed to say, "I gotta tell ta, Tom, Satanism is treating me really good today" because, beyond just being more provocative, that's going to -- to use the words of the left against them -- "piss off the right people." No?

But I think it's more than that today. It's becoming a lifestyle, a... see a fellow Satanist in the hallway and wink at one another, on your way to the "Satanic abortion ceremony." As I've said, it's been proven that time and time again people need a religion, any religion, and in the absence of one will create their own, as we see with the left in the past decade or so.

For me, it's weird. Let's play devil's advocate (literally) for a moment and pretend that Satan is real. Atheists and most Satanists already don't believe he's real. I don't think he's real. But what if he is? Let's pretend for a moment he's absolutely real. Would all of these practices and even "ceremonies" that don't appear to even have any supernatural underpinnings on a surface level... wouldn't this run a high risk of, I dunno, funneling "power" to Satan? Which is to say, why even run that risk? If you're into hedonism, great, you're into hedonism. Why attach the "Satanism" to it? If it's not "let's sock it to the stupid Christians and really twist their gears!" (which is stupid but I get it) then what for, exactly?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:11 AM   #25
IMJ
Emperor

Well... let's face it - for the average thinker the main draw for conforming to most religion is the promise of a good afterlife.

And more and more I think the concept of an "afterlife" is losing it's grip on humanity in place of "YOLO Belief Systems".

Now, I mentioned the "average thinker" because at a cursory glance that's a pretty compelling "draw" or control mechanism for God - "do good and you'll will live eternally in paradise". And so without that the average thinker won't go any deeper and instead the thought of least resistance then becomes "immediacy", i.e., "Satanism" or instant gratification.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:13 PM   #26
Coola Yagami
Overlord

So I guess Satanism was always about 'who cares, do what you want' without actually believing in him. Otherwise it makes no sense. Like, if they believed in the devil they would know they're getting a free one-way trip into the fire once the party's over.
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:22 PM   #27
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
So I guess Satanism was always about 'who cares, do what you want' without actually believing in him. Otherwise it makes no sense. Like, if they believed in the devil they would know they're getting a free one-way trip into the fire once the party's over.
Satanists tend to cover their alignment with virtue-signals such as "enlightenment" and "illumination" that they wish to bring forth. It's a lot like woke $#!( and any peasant-grade virtue - a bit of twisting facts here, a bit of virtue-signaling there and it begins to sound like other actually-virtuous things.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:02 PM   #28
sdp
Megan Fox = April

sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 11:17 PM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

One thing I'm seeing now, which makes a lot of sense... is that if you're an atheist, and you throw your hat into the Satanic Church (or anyone of a number of other guises of it)... now it's a protected entity under religious protections afforded to pretty much all others. But that explains more the people making these umbrellas than the people running under them.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 01:06 PM   #30
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I would like to make it a protected practice to hit people with said umbrellas and tell them to cut it out and stop being weird. If they'd all just pick a fandom to obsess over but accept that it's fiction, but understand it's okay to like fiction and find some good things in it, then things would be so much easier.

As for Satanism, if it's just an excuse to feel validated in being a selfish and/or cruddy person... just own it yourself that you are, no need for excuses unless you feel a twinge of guilt over it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 08:19 AM   #31
LeonardoFromTMNT2003
Banned

It does seem like there's been more Satanic stuff in pop culture lately. Honestly, it's all about shock value and pushing boundaries for some artists. They're just using the imagery for attention, not really worshipping Satan.
LeonardoFromTMNT2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 12:12 PM   #32
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Just saying, play with fire and you’ll get burned
Old 12-19-2023, 01:43 PM   #33
Prowler
Emperor

If that's the case then that's the perfect time to make heavy metal music popular again.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 07:37 PM   #34
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardoFromTMNT2003 View Post
It does seem like there's been more Satanic stuff in pop culture lately. Honestly, it's all about shock value and pushing boundaries for some artists. They're just using the imagery for attention, not really worshipping Satan.
The thing is that all that has been part of pop culture for a long time. Its not shocking at all.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 09:32 AM   #35
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post
The thing is that all that has been part of pop culture for a long time. Its not shocking at all.
I have to agree with this.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:00 AM   #36
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Yeah, most of the hot button comedians talk about this all the time, they seem to be the best at getting away with it, when actual musicians talk about it, they're put on suicide or mental health watch.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:20 AM   #37
IMJ
Emperor

The "elite reveals" and convo has definitely been coming from the comedians as of late, hasn't it?
Old 01-31-2024, 12:09 PM   #38
TurtleManiac
Mad Scientist

Man charged with hate crime for destroying Satanic Baphomet statue at Iowa State Capitol:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ate-crime.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24478755@N08/
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote