The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-02-2022, 03:25 PM   #21
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I still enjoyed the series up to season 20, personally I think it should have been cancelled then and had more movies every 3-5 years after the first.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:54 PM   #22
neatoman
Emperor

I would say it's something of a gradual decline, which is why you may get different answers but many people will state Principal and the Pauper as the start of it. I'm not sure that episode is bad enough or that season 9 as a whole is bad enough to qualify it as the start of the show being generally bad, but the fact that the show was willing to contradict everything that had been built up about one of the most important supporting characters was no doubt a sign that they didn't really care anymore.

If we have to go with the first season that contained mostly bad episodes, it's season 11.
  1. Beyond Blunderdome
  2. Brother's Little Helper
  3. Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder
  4. Eight Misbehavin
  5. Little Big Mom
  6. Saddlesore Galactica
  7. Missionary: Impossible
  8. Pygmoelian
  9. Bart to the Future
  10. Kill the Alligator and Run
  11. Behind the Laughter
And if nothing else, season 11 is also responsible for the idiotic "Sneed Feed and Seed" meme. I know people making a stupid meme doesn't really make the episode itself bad, but still.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:59 PM   #23
AquaParade
Banned

They need to do something special while the Simpson family voice actors are still around, imo.

Can’t they get Conan back to write a special? Or some other classic writers for one last send off? Obviously the show wouldn’t go away, but it could be a spritual finale, in a sense. A final movie to end the show as we know it.

Probably too late and I should just enjoy my 9+ seasons. Just saying, it’d be nice.

For me, it’s interesting to think of how they may reboot the show at some point. It feels inevitable in a way. I suppose they could keep the same format and slowly morph over time. But what if they decided it needed a fresh coat of paint, and the main voice actors were gone - what would they do?
I’m not saying it’d be good, but I’m curious what it would or could be.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:03 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

I never know what any episodes of any TV show were called, so I'd appreciate some clarification as to which episodes those actually were, neatoman. Titles don't tell me anything. I literally have never even seen any of those titles before except for "Behind the Laughter". I couldn't even tell you what even one of those episodes were about, even though I no doubt have seen every single one of them a hundred times.

I never watched Friends, but I adore their naming conceit. Having every episode be named "The One Where..." and then whatever happened in the episode, was brilliant because realistically that's how every human being discusses TV shows.

For example, literally nobody ever calls the one Simpsons episode "The Principal and the Pauper" when discussing it. They call it "The one where we found out Skinner wasn't Skinner", or some similar variant. Therefore, that's its real title no matter what it says on paper.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:10 PM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I never know what any episodes of any TV show were called, so I'd appreciate some clarification as to which episodes those actually were, neatoman. Titles don't tell me anything. I literally have never even seen any of those titles before except for "Behind the Laughter". I couldn't even tell you what even one of those episodes were about, even though I no doubt have seen every single one of them a hundred times.

I never watched Friends, but I adore their naming conceit. Having every episode be named "The One Where..." and then whatever happened in the episode, was brilliant because realistically that's how every human being discusses TV shows.

For example, literally nobody ever calls the one Simpsons episode "The Principal and the Pauper" when discussing it. They call it "The one where we found out Skinner wasn't Skinner", or some similar variant. Therefore, that's its real title no matter what it says on paper.
Especially since The Simpsons would never tell you the title of the episode you were watching. You actually need to go check The Simpsons wiki episode list to know the names of its episodes.

Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm are very straight forward and simple with their episode titles. They are usually only two or three words long and start with "The". The Contest, The Comeback, The Dog, The Marine Biologist, The Chinese Restaurant, etc.

Even if Seinfeld doesn't tell you the titles of its episodes at the beginning, you can pretty much guess which episode it is as soon as you see someone name dropping it. With The Simpsons, that's not always so easy.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:36 PM   #26
Coola Yagami
Overlord

It's funny how that one early episode was called 'Bart gets hit by a car' and we actually see the title pop up. I think it's the only episode that ever showed a title. Like it either slipped, or someone decided to try it and someone else was like 'nah, that's stupid. Don't do it again'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:38 PM   #27
AquaParade
Banned

I never noticed that. Neat little price of trivia.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:42 PM   #28
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I'm terrible about sticking with shows even though the quality has tanked in hopes a new episode will reclaim its former glory. Angela and I still watch Simpsons every week and are often disappointed...especially if it's a Lisa-centric episode. Lisa sucks and her episodes suck and more and more episodes center around her.

My wife and I used to watch Law and Order: SVU together but she dropped off because she has better things to do and isn't a masochist. I'll occasionally tell her the plot of episodes that I feel either are a return to form, or, more often than not, are endemic of why she dropped of in the first place. I also still catch the resurrected Law and Order and the other spin-off Organized Crime.

I also still watch SNL each week. It's hit or miss but most weeks there's a sketch or two that make me smile.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:46 PM   #29
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I never noticed that. Neat little price of trivia.
I'm not sure if they do it anymore in this new HD era, but I seem to recall older episodes would show have the title in the ending credits. Like 'whatever episode title was written by' or whatever, so that was at least one way to know the titles.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 05-02-2022, 05:53 PM   #30
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I'm not sure if they do it anymore in this new HD era, but I seem to recall older episodes would show have the title in the ending credits. Like 'whatever episode title was written by' or whatever, so that was at least one way to know the titles.
Now that I think about it, I know a lot of episode names, but can’t recall how. Maybe just from discussing it online.

Edit: oh yeah, I guess they were on the dvds.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:59 PM   #31
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Now that I think about it, I know a lot of episode names, but can’t recall how. Maybe just from discussing it online.

Edit: oh yeah, I guess they were on the dvds.
That also made it easier LOL

One thing I found odd is, I know the script reads 'annoyed grunt' when Dan is supposed to say 'd'oh!!' but 'annoyed grunt' was in some of the titles even when it was obvious the title was meant to be something that rhymes with 'd'oh and it just ruins it, lol.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:12 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

It's even stupider because it takes a lot more time and energy to type "Annoyed Grunt" than "D'oh". Once "D'oh" became part of the public consciousness the scriptwriters should have followed suit and just started typing it in the scripts as "D'oh". Yet as far as I'm aware, they still officially write it as "Annoyed Grunt". For no f*cking reason.

Goes to show you what kind of idiots we're dealing with, here.

I bet they still type "Disgruntled Murmur" in the scripts for Marge, instead of "Mmmrrrrr" or whatever. Because they're assholes.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:31 PM   #33
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Never for me. There was a couple seasons around the late 2000s I thought it hit a slump but I don’t remember the episodes.

I don’t think Lisa is used to scold the audience. I actually think she became more likable. Bart was always the “cool” one but because Lisa is the “nerd” I can see more people relating to her now.

I guess the major difference between the first half of the series and now is the tone is a little more cute...but it was never THAT mature. Except maybe the Sideshow Bob and Halloween episodes.

Also I mentioned it before in some other Simpsons discussion but the art and animation nowadays is so much better. Even compared to the 2000s. It’s just so nice to watch.

I know a lot cartoon’s animation improves over time but it’s very apparent in The Simpsons. It’s kinda jarring seeing early reruns.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:11 AM   #34
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Never for me. There was a couple seasons around the late 2000s I thought it hit a slump but I don’t remember the episodes.

I don’t think Lisa is used to scold the audience. I actually think she became more likable. Bart was always the “cool” one but because Lisa is the “nerd” I can see more people relating to her now.

I guess the major difference between the first half of the series and now is the tone is a little more cute...but it was never THAT mature. Except maybe the Sideshow Bob and Halloween episodes.

Also I mentioned it before in some other Simpsons discussion but the art and animation nowadays is so much better. Even compared to the 2000s. It’s just so nice to watch.

I know a lot cartoon’s animation improves over time but it’s very apparent in The Simpsons. It’s kinda jarring seeing early reruns.
I want whatever you're smoking.

Old 05-03-2022, 01:24 AM   #35
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
It's overproduced and souless.

Quote:
I guess the major difference between the first half of the series and now is the tone is a little more cute...but it was never THAT mature
You've never seen an early episode.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:44 AM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm not really qualified to answer this. By the time the Simpsons movie came out, I was already largely tuned out to it. Not because I was soured over it but just because... well, I don't know. Just wasn't "must see TV" to me anymore. I guess I figured someday I'd come back to it and catch up. I think that was always my plan until everywhere I turned was people saying it just turned to sh**.

That said, there was a certain magical quality to it early on. It struck me as a kid that it seemed to bother adults that there was a cartoon that was "adult" yet kids were loving. Which, of course, made it all the more provocative to check out. All of my friends did.

Huh. In a funny way, maybe Simpsons replaced TMNT for a patch in time. For my particular corner of the PNW. We moved on of course, but it was definitely a thing. Definitely when we were full-on doing Simpsons, I don't know if we were comparing TMNT toys anymore.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 05-03-2022 at 02:05 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 04:00 AM   #37
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
It's overproduced and souless.
No if it was still considered great by the majority nobody would be complaining the art and animation looked too nice. That’s just not a thing. That’s totally separate from the quality of the writing anyway.

Quote:
You’ve never seen an early episode.
I’ve been watching since about the very beginning. Not the Tracy Ullman shorts but when it was a full show. A friend from school got me into it. I have the old First Season DVD set but never kept up.

Unless you’re talking about the difference in art/animation. There’s clearly a major difference. There was for Family Guy too. That also looks better now but I like The Simpsons look more.

I understand when shows first start they’re not entirely fleshed out yet. Even live action sitcoms have a lower budget feel to them and basic sets. I’m not holding it against cartoons.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:16 AM   #38
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
My wife and I used to watch Law and Order: SVU together but she dropped off because she has better things to do and isn't a masochist. I'll occasionally tell her the plot of episodes that I feel either are a return to form, or, more often than not, are endemic of why she dropped of in the first place. I also still catch the resurrected Law and Order and the other spin-off Organized Crime.
Ah, a fellow SVU fan.

I think the show was mostly great (although had its bad episodes even early on), and then Stabler left in season 12. The decline began there, but I think it became unwatchable in season 17. Up until then, there were at least watchable/quality episodes even amongst the muck. I think it's gotten worse and worse, similar to The Simpsons. It's a shadow of its former self.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:48 AM   #39
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Another terrible opinion from you. Unbelievable...
I mean, I wouldn't say he's completely wrong. I think the show was a lot more endearing when Bart was the breakout character because it had the more wholesome moments that you don't get in subsequent seasons. And yes, seasons 4-8 are funny as hell but Bart's facetime was when I think there were some very special moments. And honestly while Homer was funnier but other times, he was obnoxious.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:17 AM   #40
sdp
Megan Fox = April

It's too late to give a proper send off to the Simpsons now. Key VAs have been replaced, Marge doesn't sound like Marge anymore, most characters charm have been compromised. It was already too late for the shoes 20th season and who knows if it'll reach its 40th. It'll be canceled one of these days and go out on a whimper. Disney buying Fox meant they were going to milk that dry cow even further since it's the most iconic thing Fox owned, they weren't going to gracefully cancel the show right after getting it even it would've been for the best.
We'll get tons of Simpsons stuff the next few years and a second movie for sure. And you can be sure that if Lisa or Marges VA dies first they'll be replaced, and no one will make a big deal out of it because they've already replaced iconic roles and no one cares enough about new Simpsons enough to make it a big deal. The show will continue getting worse and worse until it dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I mean, I wouldn't say he's completely wrong. I think the show was a lot more endearing when Bart was the breakout character because it had the more wholesome moments that you don't get in subsequent seasons. And yes, seasons 4-8 are funny as hell but Bart's facetime was when I think there were some very special moments. And honestly while Homer was funnier but other times, he was obnoxious.
Exactly, that's when the soul of the show was compromised and the seeds to it becoming a parody of itself and would become were planted.
When it was about Bart it was more realistic as far as the adventures went, the characters had wilder designs and even the trees were purple. It had soul.

When they changed to Homer being the focus sure it became funnier but st the expense of the characters, homer be some dumber every season, Simpsons started getting wilder stories like Homer going to space and characters started becoming one note with their specific traits.

We didn't care because it was funny at the time but if you see what people complain about it's for those exact reasons. But when you have show that never ends well you run out of ideas so you keep exaggerating those things. The staff did leave for Futurama but it was likely also because they needed something fresh to continue doing quality work.

------------
I plan to rewatch everything Simpsons one day. It's a fair point that we judge a show we haven't watched in nearly two decades.
I doubt it's good based on what I've seen but i think it just might be "decent enough" which is why some people still watch and defend it. Characters were flanderized long ago, storylines had to get crazier since they've done everything already and other shows stepped up the game but the Simpsons might not be amazing but decent enough for people to watch. I'll confirm one day I watch through everything, it's easy to hate on a show you stopped watching.

All shows deserve a fair unbiased watch, well except the later part of the arrowverse, **** that ****.

Last edited by sdp; 01-16-2024 at 11:00 AM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote