The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #701
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Unless things go back to a more He-man focus and they completely reform Teela I hope it dies after this.

There were several really enjoyable parts to the series but overall its a downer. They also ****ed up the comic 'prequel'.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:56 AM   #702
newfan
Mad Scientist

I'm thinking there's possibly just 3 people in this thread looking forward to part two. Those on the He-man fan site, how has it generally gone down there?

I can't compare this to the 2002 toon as I've not been able to see this yet, looked for it on prime but it seems I'd have to get DVDs if I wanted to see it.
i do get a nostalgic vibe for the old show when I watch Revelations though even if it is supposed to be more like the other show.

Last edited by newfan; 10-23-2021 at 02:01 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:14 AM   #703
Leo656
The Franchise

I think it'd be more apt to say there's like three people in this entire forum who even care about MOTU at all.

Not as much fan crossover as you'd think between MOTU and TMNT fans, to be honest. Which is why there's always so little MOTU chatter here in general, along with all the claims about how "nobody cares about MOTU" despite the fact that we're in the middle of a period where MOTU's pop culture footprint is much larger than TMNT's. Which will probably be temporary, I'm just saying. Right Now, MOTU is much more popular than TMNT, in this particular moment.

It's just a weird thing I noticed a long time ago. There's plenty of MOTU fans who also like TMNT - albeit much less enthusiastically - but most TMNT fans don't like/don't care about MOTU. I'm guessing that a lot of it has to do with age, as the original crop of MOTU fans is roughly 10 years older than the oldest crop of TMNT fans. So despite both of them being "big 80s properties" there just plain isn't much cross-over.

So you've got a subsection of a subsection of a subsection of fans, posting in this specific thread. I'd honestly be shocked if the level of enthusiasm were any higher.

I personally liked the first half, and am looking forward - with cautious optimism - to the second half. But as I mentioned on the .org, and got kinda chastised for it, but whatever... the "discourse" surrounding the show has been so juvenile and just plain bad that more than anything, I'm looking forward to people just moving on from it entirely. It's almost certainly not going to get renewed, and recent statements and interactions make it look like Smith doesn't even want to do more anyway.

So figure, if it comes out in a month, by like February or March it'll be forgotten and whether people like it or not, they'll have all moved on with their lives. That's the part I'm looking forward to the most.

Multiple people chastised me for that "downer" of a point of view, but as I asked them, "What's the point of looking forward to anything when most people just call you a moron for liking it?"

So yeah, I like the show but I'll be glad when it's over with. I never expected it to be "the best MOTU show ever" or anything, just a decent enough modernized version. I feel like that's what we got, but turns out, most people won't even let that be "enough". So who cares? Let it be over with. Sooner the better.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:27 AM   #704
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm guessing that a lot of it has to do with age, as the original crop of MOTU fans is roughly 10 years older than the oldest crop of TMNT fans. So despite both of them being "big 80s properties" there just plain isn't much cross-over.

I personally liked the first half, and am looking forward - with cautious optimism - to the second half. But as I mentioned on the .org, and got kinda chastised for it, but whatever... the "discourse" surrounding the show has been so juvenile and just plain bad that more than anything, I'm looking forward to people just moving on from it entirely. It's almost certainly not going to get renewed, and recent statements and interactions make it look like Smith doesn't even want to do more anyway.

So figure, if it comes out in a month, by like February or March it'll be forgotten and whether people like it or not, they'll have all moved on with their lives. That's the part I'm looking forward to the most.

This is true, while He-Man was airing into the late 80s here it likely didn't air much past TMNT starting (without checking I don't know when re-runs stopped and TMNT started airing on regular TV)

I am also looking forward to part two with some caution (few things I am unsure of) but I can see you being right about it's future, I hoped it would continue (if I liked the second half) but I get the feeling it will be this one off story.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:08 AM   #705
Leo656
The Franchise

Over here, there was just the tiniest bit of overlap on TV. MOTU stayed on the air in reruns on the USA Network through some time in 1989, or possibly 1990 at the latest, but the original toys were long gone from store shelves and the "New Adventures" reboot in syndication had gone poorly and the toys also did poorly.

A lot of MOTU fans did matriculate into also being TMNT fans later on - not directly; for many of us there was a "Real Ghostbusters" phase right in-between those two things - but the TMNT audience skewed much "younger", which in this case meant people my age. Turns out, being born in 1982, I was one of the youngest MOTU fans, having made my "debut" the same year as the franchise did. Most MOTU fans are a good 5-8 years older than me. I didn't know that at the time, and there were a few kids my age who also were into MOTU, but even looking back the friends I had who liked it the most were almost always at least a couple of years older than me. Nobody younger than me liked it, from my memory. I think anyone born after '82 was probably just too young to really take it in. Like they just missed it.

By the time TMNT was the big thing, most kids in my grade either had forgotten about MOTU or they were never into it in the first place. "Real Ghostbusters" was the "big" thing they most remembered being into before TMNT. But yeah, even though the MOTU cartoon was technically still on the air via reruns during the first big peak for TMNT, it was an "old" cartoon by '89 and the kids watching TMNT probably weren't even aware of its existence.

I think the biggest problem ended up being that for whatever reason, despite having one of the largest episode collections of any syndicated cartoon, once the USA Network reruns ended, MOTU never aired on TV again. I'm assuming it had to do with Filmation's dissolution and the rights to the cartoon being tangled up. But basically, if your local video store didn't carry any of the VHS tapes - and many didn't, as there were a million separate volumes and they all had those big (expensive) clamshell cases - after '89 you couldn't even watch MOTU if you wanted to. Even if you had a little brother who liked TMNT, and you wanted to be like, "Here's what *I* was obsessed with at your age" and sit and watch it with them... you couldn't.

I remember there was one video store we went to occasionally that had MOTU tapes... quite a few of them. But it was like a half hour away, and we had five other places within walking distance. And if they had any MOTU tapes, it was like, one or two. With like two episodes per tape, or whatever it was, that didn't really scratch the itch. Sometimes I'd ask them why they didn't carry more; at first it was "They're too expensive", but then soon after it was "They don't make them anymore" so it was too late anyway.

Real bummer. I always felt like even if MOTU didn't quite "hit" with a younger crowd past '89, more people still might've gotten into it and liked it had they only had a chance to be exposed to it more than rarely. But after '89 it was just invisible without being in reruns anymore. Most shows with THAT many episodes never go off the air; they're always being run somewhere, even if it's on some deep-cut channel. But again, I have a feeling that the rights were tangled up when Filmation went out of business, and that probably had a lot to do with why it never ran again.
----------------

Despite Smith saying in the beginning there might be more, I never really had a strong feeling towards that. My personal suspicion is, and remains, Revelation was always supposed to be the "big goodbye" for old-school MOTU fans, giving them one last cartoon in the classic aesthetic before they put full focus on their CGI reboot show.

If you look at the big picture, it all adds up. For one thing, all you hear about anymore is "Kids don't like the whole barbarian thing anymore" and how that limits MOTU's appeal. So they do this reboot which is much more sci-fi based, to make it more contemporary. You've also got all of the Current Day stuff You "need" to have, in the reboot show: Teela's now black, Ram-Man is "Ram-Ma'am" (Jesus... ), it's "WE Have the Power" instead of "*I* Have the Power" (because no individual can ever be greater than anyone else and everything must always be equal and shared amongst the collective), and so on. If Netflix had a choice in which version of MOTU people were more into, it would be the reboot version, not Revelation.

BUT, they couldn't just do a reboot show immediately without giving the old-school fans one last little "something", or those fans would throw rocks. So it's my belief that this show - and the "Origins" toy line - were supposed to just be one last gift for older fans before everything switched over to the New Coke version. That's what makes sense, to me.

The Origins toyline supposedly was not supposed to be as big a deal as it's become, and actually allegedly might've been over with by now if it hadn't taken off unexpectedly. I'm pretty sure the plan was always to do like, maybe three Waves of those figures, about 12 characters in total, and to do this one ten-episode series, and then Mattel and Netflix could be like "Okay, we gave you guys something. NOW you can't cry if you don't like our CGI reboot." And then all the old-school stuff would just stop forever and the CGI-based stuff would take over entirely.

Then Origins got really popular, and the whole plan changed. I highly doubt Mattel OR Netflix actually thought there were so many people who still strongly preferred "Classic Coke" MOTU. So now Origins is going to continue until people get bored of it. But I doubt Revelations will get any more episodes past Episode 10. It's not that everybody hates it; a lot of people like it a lot. BUT. It's been my observation that the people who hate it, hate it MORE than the people who like it, like it.

And I think that's going to be what seals this show's fate. The people who like it are shouted down by those who don't, and Netflix would rather just have everyone watch their race-flip gender-flip CGI reboot anyway.

Old 10-23-2021, 03:39 AM   #706
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Those hating on Revelation actually doc like or don't mind the CG version though, so in a sense Mattel achieved their goal with that. It'll be left alone for the kids and it's fans to enjoy, and doesn't spark any angry rants from the right wingers.

I like the show plenty myself, it's got a good message, the characters are all young, inexperienced, and prone to relatable flaws, I don't mind the "we have the power" motto at all because you still get independently minded characters (just pay attention to Ram Ma'am's arc), and hey, Teela may be a POC, but she's not a POS either.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:58 AM   #707
newfan
Mad Scientist

I wonder if the response to the CGI toon would be a little different if it were the only toon released, like there would not be the disappointment from the one people expected to be a sequel rather than it's own thing, do you think that made people more forgiving of the differences in the CGI than they might have otherwise been? I am just thinking of how the various TMNT versions have gone down with people. I haven't checked it out so can only get an idea of what I think from the trailers.

Also agreed that if they only wanted to keep one show in the franchise it would likely be the CGI show, Revelations can work as a conclusion, as pointed out.

Last edited by newfan; 10-23-2021 at 04:06 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:32 AM   #708
Leo656
The Franchise

I feel like Revelation took all of the "It's Woke Sh*t" bullets from people who get mad about that stuff, and in turn, people were kinder to the CGI reboot because a lot of that stuff was out of their system by then.

I mean, a lot of people were raging about Andra and King Grayskull being race-flipped for Revelation - two characters most of those same people never heard of before. Now Teela - a MAIN character - is race-flipped, and all of the "They're pushing the agenda!" people are silent.

Must be because they've got sore throats, after spending all year crying foul about two characters they never heard of before being flipped. Otherwise, they'd have more of a legit gripe this time around. Curious, that.

But yeah, you flip the order of release around, the CGI reboot takes all of the heat and by the time Revelation came out people would be much kinder towards it because it would feel like the more familiar show by comparison. Having Revelation go first seems like a very calculated and deliberate choice by Netflix, to "protect" their preferred MOTU show and let the one they don't care about take all the slings and arrows first. Seems to be working.

I still haven't seen the reboot. No idea when I will. I didn't care for New Adventures, either. I like the classic MOTU aesthetic and that's all I'm really interested in. I dislike reboots as a rule, and I have a great dislike for "in name only" characters in general. At a glance, and from all I've read, there's not much about the reboot that would appeal to me.

Not saying I'll never see it, but the urgency is super-low. Like TMNT, I'm not about everything that has the brand-name sticker on it. And furthermore, seeing as how I actually liked Revelation, hearing some people say that the CGI show gets "right" what they feel Revelation got "wrong" doesn't do it any favors in my eyes. I feel that Revelation got far more right than wrong, or at least presented a lot of things I liked, far more than I didn't like. So anything running strongly counter to that already has an uphill battle with me.

It's like when people back in 2017 were touting Whedon's Justice League as "getting everything right that Snyder's movies got wrong." I liked Snyder's movies a lot, so that wasn't a statement that was enticing, but rather a red flag that I should've been prepared to not enjoy what I was about to be given, just based on my own tastes.

"If you hated Revelation, you'll like the CGI show" doesn't engage me. Since I liked Revelation. The reverse of the statement isn't automatically true - as in, "If you liked Revelation, you'll hate this"; lots of people seem to like both just fine - but it just really doesn't seem like it's made for me at all.

Old 10-23-2021, 04:37 AM   #709
ZariusTwo
Overlord

It's weird how it works out for some perspectives, because the CG show for me takes things that sound terrible on paper and spins it into gold. Revelation to me does things that sound awesome on the conceptual level and make them things I never want to see in MOTU again.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:47 AM   #710
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, I mean of course it's bewildering to YOU; you like New Adventures, you monster.

J/K. It's okay. Kinda. I mean, it's definitely not "He-Man" but it's a perfectly acceptable Star Wars ripoff otherwise.

Old 10-23-2021, 07:35 AM   #711
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
I feel like Revelation took all of the "It's Woke Sh*t" bullets from people who get mad about that stuff, and in turn, people were kinder to the CGI reboot because a lot of that stuff was out of their system by then.

I mean, a lot of people were raging about Andra and King Grayskull being race-flipped for Revelation - two characters most of those same people never heard of before. Now Teela - a MAIN character - is race-flipped, and all of the "They're pushing the agenda!" people are silent.

Must be because they've got sore throats, after spending all year crying foul about two characters they never heard of before being flipped. Otherwise, they'd have more of a legit gripe this time around. Curious, that.

But yeah, you flip the order of release around, the CGI reboot takes all of the heat and by the time Revelation came out people would be much kinder towards it because it would feel like the more familiar show by comparison. Having Revelation go first seems like a very calculated and deliberate choice by Netflix, to "protect" their preferred MOTU show and let the one they don't care about take all the slings and arrows first. Seems to be working.

I still haven't seen the reboot. No idea when I will. I didn't care for New Adventures, either. I like the classic MOTU aesthetic and that's all I'm really interested in. I dislike reboots as a rule, and I have a great dislike for "in name only" characters in general. At a glance, and from all I've read, there's not much about the reboot that would appeal to me.

Not saying I'll never see it, but the urgency is super-low. Like TMNT, I'm not about everything that has the brand-name sticker on it. And furthermore, seeing as how I actually liked Revelation, hearing some people say that the CGI show gets "right" what they feel Revelation got "wrong" doesn't do it any favors in my eyes. I feel that Revelation got far more right than wrong, or at least presented a lot of things I liked, far more than I didn't like. So anything running strongly counter to that already has an uphill battle with me.

It's like when people back in 2017 were touting Whedon's Justice League as "getting everything right that Snyder's movies got wrong." I liked Snyder's movies a lot, so that wasn't a statement that was enticing, but rather a red flag that I should've been prepared to not enjoy what I was about to be given, just based on my own tastes.

"If you hated Revelation, you'll like the CGI show" doesn't engage me. Since I liked Revelation. The reverse of the statement isn't automatically true - as in, "If you liked Revelation, you'll hate this"; lots of people seem to like both just fine - but it just really doesn't seem like it's made for me at all.
Revelations is woke $#!(. It looks pretty as hell, which is evidence that you can polish a turd, but it is woke $#!(.

And the new CGi cartoon is millenial or gen y'er style woke $#!( as well, but at least that caters to that generation as some kind of reinvention (love it or hate it) as opposed to how MOTU R was delivered.

The point? I agree with you that there was a comparison effect in play there that alleviated some of the disdain towards the new CGi show, but I think had there been no MOTU R, the new show would've had backlash but not as great as that towards MOTU R has been.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:44 AM   #712
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

I'm not on a forum, but I see a lot of arguments on Facebook around it. I was pretty vocal about being mad on the facebooks because I *hate* deceptive advertising. With a passion. All the advertising around Revelations was a lie, except for the small synopsis on netflix. *Especially* from Kevin Smith who tried to say what happened was not going to be what happened. Then we were given a protagonist that the target audience was going to be at the very least severely conflicted over while dumping what was promised into a ditch. That's not to say that certain elements weren't good, but overall expectations weren't subverted they were lied about.

Its possible its intentional to create acceptance of one over the other, but I doubt it. Hasbro licenses to sell toys, so two shows from one property would sell more toys.

If you want to get into the wokeness part of everything, the new CGI show doesn't get anywhere near the eyerolling of Revelations. A lot of things were painful to watch from Amber-esque Teela (which are ironic that she got mad about being lied to) who was on a serious mary sue streak (she was always the sorceresses daughter, but they played up the 'fearful of how awesome she is' angle in addition to gushing over how amazing and awesome she was) all the way to killing off *all of the men* in her party while no women really suffered a set back.

Sorry, I am a little salty. If they hadn't lied about everything I would be a lot more generous.

Quote:
"Kids don't like the whole barbarian thing anymore"
ehhh...look up Grog Strongjaw. There is a huge potential sci-fantasy audience already in existance.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:44 AM   #713
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Revelations is woke $#!(.
Nah. It's literally just a bad haircut. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, homie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post
Sorry, I am a little salty. If they hadn't lied about everything I would be a lot more generous.
ONE TIME anyone said Revelation was a Filmation follow-up. They walked that sh*t back like two days later. Anyone who expected a 1:1 sequel to a 1983 cartoon in 2021 needs a lesson in how All Marketing Is Spin.

It's more a stylistic follow-up to the 200X show, but nobody in the mainstream media remembers that show. So obviously if they want to draw a connective line, marketing-wise, it's going to be to the show the mainstream media remembers and not the one they don't. They're not gonna say, "Well, it's like the Filmation cartoon and the 200X cartoon had a baby, and that baby is This Show." That just raises more questions, and most people never watched 200X anyway.

All Marketing Is Spin. Rogue One went out with a bunch of trailers full of footage that isn't even in the movie, and people loved that movie. Nobody called anybody a "liar". Point of fact, most people said "I expect that nowadays." Go figure.

That's how it works nowadays. Somebody saying ONCE that "It's like a Filmation sequel" and then taking it back the very next day and saying "Well... it kinda is, but it isn't" amounts to nothing of substance. If people took it too literally, they need to work on their reading comprehension.

Last edited by Leo656; 10-23-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:12 AM   #714
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
ONE TIME anyone said Revelation was a Filmation follow-up. They walked that sh*t back like two days later. Anyone who expected a 1:1 sequel to a 1983 cartoon in 2021 needs a lesson in how All Marketing Is Spin.
That part was a roller coaster. First it was picking up right where Filmation left off, then it was just a sequel, then it 'spiritual successor'...then after it was released Smith came out to say "well...licensing". However, That's only one dishonest slice of the pie. The next huge dishonest item was how much He-man was in the show, followed by that it was for old He-man fans. *All* of the media showed that this was going to be a story about He-man and it very specifically was not. Smith even called some YouTubers liars when they broke the story.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:49 AM   #715
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Nah. It's literally just a bad haircut. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, homie
Humor me and read this long-winded post.

I'm not impervious to bias by any means, but I'm also a pretty solid critical thinker and don't often make distinctions where there are none. This show is woke $#!( and the evidenced is all over it - I punctuated direct examples in this very thread as I watched the episodes, man.

I know you are a He-Man guy - maybe the same depth that I'm an Iron Man guy. And so for many reasons it's cool if you like the show. But you know... even being a hardcore Iron Man guy I can explain in truth why Iron Man 3 was dog $#!(.

MOTU R is loaded with woke $#!(. And all of the examples, in context of current events and other social-nonsense creates a timeliness about it that indicate directly that it's more than "just a haircut". I know this frustrates you man, because you want that fan victory for your franchise of choice - we all do. But.... you know.... f'n man up and speak the f'n truth about it instead of denying it.

Denying the agenda of this show is on the same spectrum as that jealous friend who is angry at your organized peg board setup and instead of saying that it looks great, instead he says in a quick terse sentence "you don't use your tools?". He's in denial because he's pissed off. I mean hell man - if anything I'd at least have to respect your position if you manned up and said "well it is clearly woke $#!(, but I've got to be honest, I don't care because I'm so jazzed to see He-Man looking like cool anime on-screen".

Dude, I'm a HUGE Indiana Jones fan. KOTCS was crap. But I was so jazzed to see Harrison Ford on screen again that I didn't care and saw the movie 3 times in theaters. It is what it is. MOTU R is completely woke $#!(. Now if they backtrack on it a bit in part 2 because of the backlash, I don't know. But what's done is done, it's woke $#!(.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #716
Leo656
The Franchise

Literally nobody who didn't like the show has said anything about "Woke Sh*t" since they watched it. It's all just either been it was too cynical compared to the Filmation show, the pacing being too rushed, Teela was too bratty, and/or that He-Man wasn't in it enough.

All the "It's gonna be woke!" stuff was about Teela's haircut and the fact she was standing next to Andra in the screenshot automatically meant the whole show was about the two of them being lesbos. Didn't happen.

The "You don't see it because you don't want to see it" stuff is condescending. People aren't seeing it because it simply isn't there. It's not The Last Jedi.

People have enough complaints about the show that can be considered valid and fair without just making things up because of one or two incidental things that have nothing to do with the larger show as a whole or what it was trying to accomplish.

Now, if you want to call the CGI reboot "Woke sh*t" with all its race-flipping and gender-flipping stuff, I won't fight very hard on that one. That's a pretty overt example of exactly the kind of stuff you're railing against. Revelation? Not so much.

Quote:
That part was a roller coaster. First it was picking up right where Filmation left off, then it was just a sequel, then it 'spiritual successor'...then after it was released Smith came out to say "well...licensing". However, That's only one dishonest slice of the pie. The next huge dishonest item was how much He-man was in the show, followed by that it was for old He-man fans. *All* of the media showed that this was going to be a story about He-man and it very specifically was not. Smith even called some YouTubers liars when they broke the story.
He called them liars when they said the show wasn't about He-Man. But it technically is about He-Man, since even though he's not onscreen nobody on Eternia can stop talking for five seconds about how awesome he was the whole time.

Semantics, yeah. But he never said "He-Man is constantly onscreen". He said the show was "about" him, which it is. "Technically".

Also, some people knew a year in advance that He-Man was somehow "gone" after the first episode and that the rest of it would be about Teela, because they announced it that far in advance. They literally told everyone, a year out, that the plotline was about He-Man somehow being gone and Teela and Co. having to somehow fix everything in his absence.

They said that way, WAY early. Before one word about Filmation was ever said. If people missed it somehow, that's unfortunate. But it happened. People were warned what to expect. And they got what they were told to expect. Again, maybe people should've paid more attention to the big picture and not gotten hung up on other things. To say they weren't forewarned is a lie.

Last edited by Leo656; 10-23-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #717
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Now if they backtrack on it a bit in part 2 because of the backlash, I don't know

They won't. The guy who fed us the info on part two this week isn't a fan of the agenda either and he says it's all still in there. He was trying to be 'nice' about it, saying Teela isn't as bad as she was in part one, but I could tell from his wording that he knew this is still going to cause s*it when it comes out.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:44 PM   #718
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
He called them liars when they said the show wasn't about He-Man. But it technically is about He-Man, since even though he's not onscreen nobody on Eternia can stop talking for five seconds about how awesome he was the whole time.

Semantics, yeah. But he never said "He-Man is constantly onscreen". He said the show was "about" him, which it is. "Technically".
The show is about Teela and the power sword. He-man is as good as a legend in the background. You could just as easily say the show is about King Greyskull or Beastman with how you are using the term.

However, the advertising for the show would tell you a completely different. Who is front and center on the show poster? Who were the stars of the stop motion dance commercial? Who was the star of the super awesome "Hero" trailer that the put out? Who were the first action figures they put out? Who is the Front and Center main character of the MoTU franchise? Who did Smith allude would be the star (its all about He-man and He-man does no stepping aside)? All of that is He-man. *None* of that hype *at all* was for Teela. *All* the hype was on He-man. The only two things that indicated Teela was the small netflix synopsis and the leaks. Speaking of leaks...

Quote:
Also, some people knew a year in advance that He-Man was somehow "gone" after the first episode and that the rest of it would be about Teela, because they announced it that far in advance. They literally told everyone, a year out, that the plotline was about He-Man somehow being gone and Teela and Co. having to somehow fix everything in his absence.
Clownfish TV broke that story on Twitter. The showrunner, Kevin Smith, very specifically said "Man, I wish we had those ideas where we were writing the show." and said they had no idea what they were talking about.

We may have to agree to disagree on this point.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:52 PM   #719
Leo656
The Franchise

Actually, no, it was first revealed during a presentation last year, I believe at PowerCon (if it was a different con, I apologize for misspeaking). Pictures got out immediately thanks to folks who were there. There was a big text crawl that explained the entire scenario. They didn't say He-Man was "dead" but it explicitly stated that He-Man was "gone" and that Teela and others had to find a way to fix everything without him.

This was an official presentation which many people (fans) were witness to. Which predated anything Clownfish or anyone else had to say about it by weeks, if not months.

So they gave the gist of the plot away a year in advance, and somehow, some people were shocked at how little He-Man was in it, despite being told "He-Man is Gone" was the basic plot. A year in advance.

If people can't be bothered to look things up and do basic research, that's ultimately on them.

I even believe that at some point, after the trailer came out, they admitted that the entire trailer was Episode 1 footage. A person armed with full knowledge of what had already been revealed in advance could pretty easily put 2+2 together from that point, and many of us did.

Put simply, anyone who was honestly taken by surprise at how little screentime He-Man had in the first five episodes simply wasn't paying attention. They heard the words "Filmation sequel!" one time and got entirely hung up on that, and let their own expectations carry them towards an assumption which did not in any way match things we were already explicitly told.

I had a therapist once, who had a saying: "Expectations are nothing but the first step towards being disappointed. Never expect anything, ever, and take things as they are. You'll be happier that way." He was right.

People EXPECTED one thing, and got something else, and in turn, they're cranky. Well... that's kinda what happens.

For my part, those trailers had no effect on me whatsoever, because 1. I knew it was all Episode 1 footage, 2. I saw the official plot synopsis from months earlier which SAID He-Man wasn't going to be in it much, and 3. I'm fully aware that trailers nowadays are mostly bait-and-switch by design. That's the entire game nowadays.

A person could try to say to me, "Well based on that trailer, you would HAVE to expect..." No, I don't. "Well, based on what he SAID, you'd obviously expect..." No, I don't. I can assume, I can speculate, I can predict... but I can't "expect". And if I do expect, it's nobody's fault but mine when those expectations aren't met.

Because ALL Marketing Is Spin. I learned that once and for all back in 2017, when the Justice League movie contained exactly .01% of the footage that was in the trailers. That movie had a combined 35 minutes or so of trailer footage released, and about one minute of those trailers was in the movie itself. Every second of the footage they used to sell the movie was from the then-unreleased Snyder version, and not the movie people actually paid to watch in theaters. Talk about a bait-and-switch! Now THAT kind of thing is rather egregious.

If nothing else, perhaps next time people won't be quite so quick to believe everything they see at face value, and maybe they'll have a better time with whatever that product is as a result of having fewer expectations.

Quote:
We may have to agree to disagree on this point.
Clearly. And that's fine, I'm just explaining my position. For me, personally, having He-Man be onscreen for 99% of the runtime was not a demand. I'm aware other people's personal mileage can vary. But it didn't bother me as much as it did them, obviously.

And, for what it's worth, I was one of the most vocal ones who said it would be a questionable decision. Upon seeing it in execution, didn't bug me as much as I thought it would. Go figure.

Last edited by Leo656; 10-23-2021 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:14 AM   #720
newfan
Mad Scientist

Agreed on the point about what we go in to things expecting.

I didn't make a point to following news and updates on this elsewhere but there was conversation earlier in this thread about it starting with Teela and there being character focus for other characters, also speculation about He-Man not being in the title. I went in cautious, thinking he might get a little less star of the show focus but hoped they wouldn't do something like go down the route of making him into some kind of unworthy idiot, though I didn't really feel they would do that to him.

Last edited by newfan; 10-24-2021 at 06:02 AM.