The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 09-05-2022, 08:31 AM   #481
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I beat it as a kid, it's not that difficult. No savestates? There was a good password system which updates the current password whenever you pick up an important item, you rescue a character or beat a boss, except for the final bosses. Speaking of those final bosses, you don't really fight them with only a life bar as your life actually gets refilled every time you beat one of the bosses. Also you can carry a pizza (there's one a couple of room away) so basically you have two life bars. Every boss has a very consistent set of moves so if you learn their patterns you can easily beat each one of them with no problem, you could also try a perfect run.
I have never find the game world difficult to navigate: you have a map on the Select screen which indicates your current position and the places you need to go. It's a very basic map but it's more than what a lot of games from that era used to give to the player.

Definitely a beatable game, I did it back then when I was like 8 or 9. A great game, I'm glad people are finally discovering it now for the first time.
I can 100 per cent support this post. Also played through this game on my game boy back in the mid 90s as a kid and absolutely used that extra pizza and also did not find any problem navigating through this game. Its really a great game and so nice that now many people get to experience this freshly with the cowabunga collection
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:00 AM   #482
ctt4lfecw
Stone Warrior

PSA: To those who are playing the NES Turtle games and are trying to enter the extra life Konami codes. MAKE SURE BEFORE booting up the game, go to the enhancements, and make sure that EXTRA LIVES is turned to ON. I was putting in the code like a mad man and couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t giving me extra lives. The default factory settings have the extra lives turned off from the start.
ctt4lfecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:59 PM   #483
CyberCubed
Overlord

Unless I'm missing something do they not give you the inputs for the special moves for the Tournament Fighters games in the game itself? If not, I have to go looking up gamefaqs special move inputs in the year 2022...
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 02:19 PM   #484
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior

The Strategy Guide's TF section has all the inputs.
Chaotix12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 02:21 PM   #485
CyberCubed
Overlord

I played the NES one and the specials moves weren't there. Just the dash attacks.
Old 09-05-2022, 02:23 PM   #486
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior

Yeah, I double-checked after posting and you're right. Only the SNES version has the inputs listed. The Genesis version doesn't even get a full page. Bizarre.
Old 09-05-2022, 02:25 PM   #487
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its really weird they didn't include them, seemed like it should of been a no-brainer. The fact that I have to go to gamefaqs to look up ancient guides from 1998-2000 to see the special move input codes in the year 2022 is crazy.
Old 09-05-2022, 05:40 PM   #488
Leo656
The Franchise

Poor you, I'm sure you'll f*cking survive.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #489
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix12345 View Post
Yeah, I double-checked after posting and you're right. Only the SNES version has the inputs listed. The Genesis version doesn't even get a full page. Bizarre.
They are in the manual section but that can’t be pulled up in-game.

And they don’t even a knowledge the existence of the Ultra Desperation attacks! Fairly complicated without full listings, I doubt folks would accidentally trigger in a match

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:18 PM   #490
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

In general, it seems like only the SNES TF was given much attention. Granted, it is the best one, but still. I also think it's weird how Digital Eclipse has this habit of only giving online to certain games in a collection and not all games that would benefit from it. It's a stellar collection in most regards, but things like that just kinda bring it down a bit.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:41 PM   #491
CyberCubed
Overlord

Still hoping they patch in online for SNES Turtles in Time. That's all they need to do. Having online for NES/Genesis Tournament Fights or TMNT II/3 NES would be cool too, but it isn't that important.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:00 AM   #492
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Still hoping they patch in online for SNES Turtles in Time. That's all they need to do. Having online for NES/Genesis Tournament Fights or TMNT II/3 NES would be cool too, but it isn't that important.
So, what games in the collection actually offer online play?
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:11 AM   #493
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior

The two Arcade games, Hyperstone Heist, and the SNES Tournament Fighters.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:12 AM   #494
oldmanwinters
Overlord

A little "trick" for Hyperstone Heist Online Play. If you want to access the game's options menu, you'll need to get a Game Over (either the traditional way or by beating the game). Then you can access difficulty, life/continue count, color palette, and all the other options and re-enter the game. I'm not sure what happens if you start a 2-player option while another online player is already logged in, but it is a fun way to extend the replay value if you are dominating/struggling/bored with the standard presentation.

View my sketch work!
Old 09-06-2022, 12:27 PM   #495
Roseangelo
Emperor

My fancy edition finally shipped from Target. I was beginning to think it wasn't going to be real. But now I'm back to thinking I don't really need it. Hmmm.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:38 PM   #496
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
My fancy edition finally shipped from Target. I was beginning to think it wasn't going to be real. But now I'm back to thinking I don't really need it. Hmmm.
Hope it arrives safe! I've heard some of the shipments from Amazon and Wal-Mart showed up in padded envelopes rather than boxes.

I ended up pre-orderding through BestBuy back in the spring and mine arrived safely boxed on launch day.

View my sketch work!
Old 09-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #497
CyberCubed
Overlord

I love the obscure pics for Tournament Fighters. Armaggon who was unknown outside of the Archie comics. Wingnut and Chrome Domes first debut in a TMNT video game. War. Hothead. Man Ray. Casey and April playable. A Triceratron.

Also Karai debuted in Tournament Fighters only 1 year after her Mirage debut in City at War. She was literally only around 1 year and made her debut as the final boss in a video game. Most people's first exposure to Karai and others like Armaggon were through the game before we got into the comics. I have no idea how the developers at Konami were even aware of her existence at the time.

Going out for obscure pics for the rosters of the 3 games rather than filling the roster with Bebop/Rocksteady, etc. was an interesting move.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:02 PM   #498
Storm Eagle
Saved by

The game was delivered to me last Tuesday, and so far I've played through both arcade games, and they seem just fine. It looks like all of the music is intact. I'm glad I can add lives at any time. If I had to play through both of them in the arcade, I'd be using up a truckload of quarters.

I've also played Hyperstone Heist for the Genesis. I think I've only passed the first level so far. I remember how back in the day, this Genesis fanboy friend I had would constantly say that it's better than Turtles in Time on the SNES, but I'm still not quite sure I'd agree. It's fine, and it's not bad so far, but I can't yet decide if I myself like it better or not.

Now that I can play the arcade games, I probably wouldn't play their console ports as much. I'd at least check out TMNT II: The Arcade Game to see all of the changes for myself, but I can just make it so that the game plays itself. I decided to do that with the first game for the NES. I can look up walkthroughs on YouTube, but I wanted to see how it would look and sound on my TV. I tried playing it on my own, but of course didn't get very far.

The console versions of the arcade games have levels that weren't in the arcade versions. So that might be one reason to play through them again, if you're feeling nostalgic.

The first three Mortal Kombat arcade games have been released for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, X-Box, and X-Box 360 in various ways. Street Fighter arcade games were available through the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection for the Switch, PlayStation 4, X-Box One, and Windows. Final Fight was released through the Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle downloadable on the PlayStation 4, X-Box One, Switch, and Microsoft Windows. Now we have both arcade versions of the Ninja Turtles games through this Cowabunga Collection. All I need now is for The Simpsons arcade game to be made available again somehow, that's not an Arcade1Up cabinet.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:24 AM   #499
CyberCubed
Overlord

TMNT II NES is better than the Arcade for me, and the SNES Turtles in Time is much better than the Arcade version for obvious reason. Really not sure why you wouldn't play through them, what's the point of getting the collection if you're not going to play through every game? Besides that these games take 30 minutes to beat so it's not even a time investment.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:00 AM   #500
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
TMNT II NES is better than the Arcade for me, and the SNES Turtles in Time is much better than the Arcade version for obvious reason. Really not sure why you wouldn't play through them, what's the point of getting the collection if you're not going to play through every game? Besides that these games take 30 minutes to beat so it's not even a time investment.
Time is just as valuable as money, if not exceedingly more-so. Buying a product is not a good reason to indulge in it to the point of boredom.
Time more valuable than money.

Don’t you watch movies in FF? Easy to understand, if so.

I’m going to get this game but there is no way I’m going to subject myself to more than a few of these games. Personally, I can’t derive any enjoyment from sleepwalking through a 30-year old Gameboy game, just because the sprites look like Ninja Turtles and Shredder. It’s like eating crappy cereal because Spider-Man is on the box.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote