The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-13-2021, 01:24 AM   #41
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Are you gonna believe some random tweet as the source?
The guy who tweeted this has pinpoint accuracy on leaks, he spoiled all of No Way Home over the last few months

Also, the tweet never said she was fired you half-wit, just had her role diminished, do you even f*cking read anything?
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 04:15 PM   #42
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The guy who tweeted this has pinpoint accuracy on leaks, he spoiled all of No Way Home over the last few months

Also, the tweet never said she was fired you half-wit, just had her role diminished, do you even f*cking read anything?
There were places saying she was fired, and I don't believe those either.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:25 PM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Chadwick's brother says Chadwick would have wanted to see T'Challa recasted:

https://www.cbr.com/chadwick-boseman...lLI0ZX7-GZAH60

Of course he would've.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:31 PM   #44
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Chadwick's brother says Chadwick would have wanted to see T'Challa recasted:

https://www.cbr.com/chadwick-boseman...lLI0ZX7-GZAH60

Of course he would've.
Honest opinion about the recasting issue? Disney was terrified to recast Boseman amidst the last few years of liberal extremist bull $#!( and feared being called "racists" or "people who don't care about the death of a black man" or some other such nonsense.

And so to avoid that, they campaigned on not recasting Boseman until the dust settled, but then got hemmed up in needing to get another Panther flick out there to save face as well.

My personal opinion on it? Boseman was impressive as hell on screen, regal and a lot of fun to watch. But - and this is coming from an O.G. Iron Man collector - but just as RD JR could be recast, so can Boseman and they should just do it and move on just like with Howard/Cheadle. The fact is that the MCU continuity has been amazing but it's already causing problems. We will be 15 years into Iron Man on screen soon and they could've James Bonded that $#!( already - and while we have some incredible Iron Man moments on screen now, we also have yet to have the definitive Iron Man movie. I don't want Black Panther getting caught up the same way because quite frankly that character is awesome and his first movie sucked some huge nuts.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 03:00 PM   #45
Sumac
Banned

I don't think their fear of recasting was based on "wokeness" - no matter how you turn it an original actor is dead. Even dumbest of the dumb SJWs can understand it.
So you either shut down movie or recast.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #46
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I don't think their fear of recasting was based on "wokeness" - no matter how you turn it an original actor is dead. Even dumbest of the dumb SJWs can understand it.
So you either shut down movie or recast.
Yeah but the SJW's use any event to gaslight and feel good by admonishing others. The political climate means that SJW-catering modern Disney had to defer to the cult.

They've done it countless times. They deferred to China and censored their own intellectual property because of it. You better believe that they got on board with calling Chadwick Boseman a "King" (Chadwick a king, not Black Panther mind you), and then saying they'd never recast him.

They were appeasing and manipulating their peasants. 100%
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 05:04 PM   #47
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Yeah but the SJW's use any event to gaslight and feel good by admonishing others. The political climate means that SJW-catering modern Disney had to defer to the cult.

They've done it countless times. They deferred to China and censored their own intellectual property because of it. You better believe that they got on board with calling Chadwick Boseman a "King" (Chadwick a king, not Black Panther mind you), and then saying they'd never recast him.

That is true. The Twitter Woke Cult (and China) pretty much has Disney and any major company that doesn't want to be cancelled by the balls. And they've proven they're not avoid to use a vice grip.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #48
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

First look at Namor & Attuma

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 07-02-2022 at 01:05 PM.
Autbot_Benz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:56 PM   #49
Coola Yagami
Overlord

They couldn't slick up Namor's hair to match the comics better? And where are the Spock eyebrows? Lookswise, Namor was always pretty much Spock if he had gains and could live underwater.

And of course Namor isn't white. Of course.

The other picture doesn't impress me until we see an actual actor in the costume. I mean look at how they ****ed up Gorr the Godslayer.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 07-02-2022, 05:27 PM   #50
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post

Considering the 'twitter woke mob' mostly sided on the issue that they should recast T'challa and give another black actor the same opportunity to became the same kind of symbol that Boseman that was't the case. Of course that view didn't really calcify straight away and it seems Marvel Studios made their call really quickly. Everyone understands that this was a sensitive decision that whatever they did was going to upset some people. Still what you are saying is a straight up lie you made up yourself or something you've heard second hand and perpetuating someone else's lie for your dumb culture wars agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
First look at Namor & Attuma

https://i.imgur.com/ojYx0qc.jpg
Kinda surprised they went with the green speedo look instead of the black guit with the gold wings or even the current look he has in the comics.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:31 PM   #51
AquaParade
Banned

Looks awesome. Idk that actor but I hope they're good. Not bothered that they aren't white or have cool eyebrows personally.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:37 PM   #52
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Looks awesome. Idk that actor but I hope they're good. Not bothered that they aren't white or have cool eyebrows personally.
Then why even cast the character if they're not gonna commit and make him look like the character?

It would be like some new actor taking up the role of Spock with normal ears and without the funky eyebrows.

Old 07-03-2022, 12:57 AM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Eh. If I was a Namor reader for decades I'd probably say different. But something like Namor, you know. I've read enough Wizard and Previews and such to know his basic look. So if you want to cast a Hispanic (I'm assuming that's a Hispanic guy? he looks like the actor from Terminator Woke Fate) that's fine, and I'm cool with it... but jeeze... at least have him shave his face?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:01 AM   #54
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Then why even cast the character if they're not gonna commit and make him look like the character?

It would be like some new actor taking up the role of Spock with normal ears and without the funky eyebrows.
It's more about capturing the essence of the character than being a slave to a design that was created and intended for a different medium.

I can see how the ears and eyebrows could be considered iconic elements to Namor, but they aren't deal-breakers to me, by any means. I want to see the attitude and the demeanor of the character captured. When I think of Namor, I think of arrogance, power, a regal attitude, a bit of sexiness. If the actor captures that and the outfit looks cool, then getting hung up on eyebrows and skin tone just seem like a giant waste of time, to me. Like, I just don't care.

Not saying no one else is allowed to care, but to me, it's like complaining about Snickers changing the wrapper on their candy bar. Can you still tell it's a Snickers bar? Is the new design okay? Most importantly, does it taste good? Okay, then.

This is an okay look, befitting of an Atlantean in the MCU. I'm not going to pretend I am in love with the design, but I don't share the same issues with it that you do.

The design for Attuma is the better one, imo.

Last edited by AquaParade; 07-03-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:17 AM   #55
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
It's more about capturing the essence of the character than being a slave to a design that was created and intended for a different medium.

I can see how the ears and eyebrows could be considered iconic elements to Namor, but they aren't deal-breakers to me, by any means. I want to see the attitude and the demeanor of the character captured. When I think of Namor, I think of arrogance, power, a regal attitude, a bit of sexiness. If the actor captures that and the outfit looks cool, then getting hung up on eyebrows and skin tone just seem like a giant waste of time, to me. Like, I just don't care.

Not saying no one else is allowed to care, but to me, it's like complaining about Snickers changing the wrapper on their candy bar. Can you still tell it's a Snickers bar? Is the new design okay? Most importantly, does it taste good? Okay, then.
Yeah, this basically sums up how I feel about this topic. I don't need it to be 100% accurate to every single minutia of a character from the comics. Some stuff from comics also don't translate well to a movie or show either. I think that as long as the basic essence of the character is adapted well, it's fine. I remember when people screamed that Christian Bale (and tbh this was also said for most of the live action Batmans except, ironically, George Clooney, and Ben Affleck) looked 'too gay' to be Batman or that Chris Evans had brown hair and cried that he should be re-casted for Captain America...
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:58 AM   #56
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Eh... there's interpretation and then there's 'I have no idea who this character is supposed to be until someone tells me'.

Like Andrew said, at the very least the ****er should have shaved.

It just feels there was more effort made in the older movies (even though Loki looked different he still got to wear the classic helmet a few times) but nowadays it's like 'who gives a ****, get whoever, dress em in whatever outfit you want, slap the name on it, since it's part of the MCU the normies will eat it up no matter what we do, we can call the nerds that actually read this **** out if they bitch'.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:10 AM   #57
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Eh... there's interpretation and then there's 'I have no idea who this character is supposed to be until someone tells me'.

It just feels there was more effort made in the older movies (even though Loki looked different he still got to wear the classic helmet a few times) but nowadays it's like 'who gives a ****, get whoever, dress em in whatever outfit you want, slap the name on it, since it's part of the MCU the normies will eat it up no matter what we do, we can call the nerds that actually read this **** out if they bitch'.
Yet the majority of fans loved Momoa's Aquaman even though he isn't accurate to the original incarnation (even the bearded Arthur).

lol, I think fans are very 'picky and choosy' about accuracy, at least when it comes to 'reinventing' characters they deem lame or whatever.

Again, I still remember the whining over Bale (and most other Batmans) and Evans, and how 'awful' they were classified by the majority of nerds online. Nowadays, Bale and Evans are mostly revered. I thought they both captured the essence of the characters from the get-go.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:32 AM   #58
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:

I'll admit that I'd also probably like the design more if he were to shave, but whatever.

There is an iconography to comics that is important to them, so I can understand why people get hung up on this stuff. I guess you either accept adaptation or you don't.

The reason I find adaptations so exciting is that we get to see something brought into reality through a different lens, or see how it might realistically fit into our world.
Not every comic adaption has to be that way, but to me that's the thrill of it.

Mostly, I feel that if I want something to ape a comic book so damn bad, then I might as well just go read the comic book instead.

Sometimes a cover song is at it's best, or at least more interesting, when the musicians go their own way with it. That's sort of how I feel about comic book films.

And to be fair, that's always sort of how comics themselves have been.

Quote:
This seems like two separate issues, to me. I don't think this looks low-effort at all, but I do think that MCU fans can be rabid, as well as willing to accept any dribble offered to them, as long as it's all connected.

So yeah, I think these designs actually look pretty good. I don't think all MCU designs are great, and I actually wouldn't mind a little more "Alex Ross" flavor to them, if you know what I mean, but these aren't the ones I'd choose to call out.

When it comes to low effort, I think the MCU's biggest issues are script and cgi quality. They're really starting to feel rushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
lol, I think fans are very 'picky and choosy' about accuracy, at least when it comes to 'reinventing' characters they deem lame or whatever.
Yup. I mean, everyone gets their turn to bitch and moan about something not being like the comics. I'm sure I do it sometimes, but it does feel out of hand with much of the community. At times it's hard not to feel like people complain just to complain.

Last edited by AquaParade; 07-03-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:41 AM   #59
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yup. I mean, everyone gets their turn to bitch and moan about something not being like the comics. I'm sure I do it sometimes, but it does feel out of hand with much of the community. At times it's hard not to feel like people complain just to complain.
Yeah, we all do it, of course.

I just think that some things can and sometimes should be changed from the comics. The comics aren't perfect, and there's a lot of bad writing in them (God, especially nowadays...). I don't mind movies or TV making changes to certain things...if they actually improve upon them. I think the Under the Red Hood and Watchmen movies improved on the source material in some ways, for instance.

Another thing is, I'll take an actor not looking like a 100% replication of their comics counterpart if the writing and acting behind the character is great. If they get an actor who looks like a spitting image of the character, but is then a terrible actor who portrays a really unlikable, poorly written version of that character then I'd prefer they'd just cast someone who doesn't look the role, but plays a character I can like and root for.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:09 PM   #60
CyberCubed
Overlord

So they're really going to kill Black Panther in the opening aren't they? It really does seem like a misfire now that they didn't recast him, especially since this is permanent for the next 10 years or so of movies.

I'm sure they could have cast someone who looks similar to Chadwick Boseman, a lot of black people look alike after all, it shouldn't be too hard to find a look-a-like.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote