The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 11:40 PM   #41
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
That's cool, but he should simply hand his duties off to someone else if that's the case.
Exactly what I've been saying.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #42
Leo656
The Franchise

To be fair, I do think Lawson puts tons of detail into his landscapes and his dinosaurs and stuff like that, I just don't like the way he does figures, faces, and characters in motion. I get that everyone has a style, but I grew up on John Byrne and Neal Adams and stuff. Neal Adams used to say something to the effect of "'Style' is just a way of admitting you can't do it properly'". I think that's overly harsh, but I think the effect of Lawson's non-human characters would be better if his human characters actually looked... well, more human.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #43
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
To be fair, I do think Lawson puts tons of detail into his landscapes and his dinosaurs and stuff like that, I just don't like the way he does figures, faces, and characters in motion. I get that everyone has a style, but I grew up on John Byrne and Neal Adams and stuff. Neal Adams used to say something to the effect of "'Style' is just a way of admitting you can't do it properly'". I think that's overly harsh, but I think the effect of Lawson's non-human characters would be better if his human characters actually looked... well, more human.
Agreed. His dinosaurs are very detailed, always have been. They're the only part of his style that I thought improved since he started way back when. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the dinosaurs in South America storyline, as well as Gameraph, were just excuses for Lawson to draw dinos.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
But the fact remains: People didn't dig the book, so it stalled. It's such a shame. Tales seems to do ok, and hey, it's usually not drawn by Lawson. See a pattern?
No. No pattern. The last few issues of Vol. 4 that were distributed through Diamond all sold better than the Tales of the TMNT coming out at the time.

And Tales usually is drawn by Lawson these days.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord

Pete is getting up in the years now, isn't he 54 now? Perhaps it gets harder for him to pull things in the comic together as much as he used to when he was younger.

I guess the problem is Pete has nobody to pass the franchise on to. His daughter has nothing to do with the franchise, and unless someone like Murphy takes over, there's nothing that can be done.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #46
Dragon Turtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Pete is getting up in the years now, isn't he 54 now? Perhaps it gets harder for him to pull things in the comic together as much as he used to when he was younger.
He'll be 55 next week. Perhaps it's a lack of passion associated with his belief that there is no real big audience interested in TMNT comics.

Quote:
I guess the problem is Pete has nobody to pass the franchise on to. His daughter has nothing to do with the franchise, and unless someone like Murphy takes over, there's nothing that can be done.
I don't believe it would be hard to find someone to carry on the franchise, especially since the people who work at Mirage have been there for over twenty years. But Laird has shown no interest in handing the reins over to someone else, the turtles are still a very personal part of his life, and he still takes an active role in virtually every aspect of the TMNT empire, from the cartoon shows to the videogames.
Dragon Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #47
turkishproverb
Stone Warrior

Did you see the schedule he posted? He doesn't exactly list his time at mirage as bieng all that strenuous, or even prolonged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Raider View Post
But me, Grimlock, love Raphael! He cool, but rude!

I suspected.
turkishproverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #48
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Turtle View Post
... he still takes an active role in virtually every aspect of the TMNT empire, from the cartoon shows to the videogames.
I'm basically dittoing what turkishproverb said; Peter doesn't do much of anything beyond making sure nothing breaks his so-called commandments of the TMNT, which includes things like how the Turtles don't have fingernails.

And his judgment isn't always that great, seeing how he approved the TMNT Overload cartoon concept and the Music Turtles action figures.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #49
Dragon Turtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
Did you see the schedule he posted? He doesn't exactly list his time at mirage as bieng all that strenuous, or even prolonged.
But he still is involved in the creative process of many of the TMNT products, he looks over the designs and scripts for the cartoon shows, he had much more involvement in the last movie then the previous ones, reviews all storyline proposals for Tales, and writing for the videogame. On top of that he still most likely sits in on a few business meetings with Playmates, 4Kids, movie studios, and other companies.

Am I saying that he is too busy to finish vol. 4, no, but at the same time I don't believe he just this retired comicbook creator who just rides around on a motorcycle eating waffles all day (there's an image for ya ).
Dragon Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
And his judgment isn't always that great, seeing how he approved the TMNT Overload cartoon concept and the Music Turtles action figures.
But those are intended for little kids.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #51
DK2
Stone Warrior

I'm intrigued by Jim Lawsons TMNT V4 #31 cover. Donnie is in a Robin Hood like outfit and he seems to be back to normal size since he's standing on a tree stump. So within the unseen TMNT V4 #30, Don gets back to regular size? Or did Don make a large robotic body suit for himself? Its just I can't remember the stuff thats happened in this long gap. I'll have to look back on this. Nevertheless I'm already interested in what we've not gotten to read yet.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

I can't believe #30 still isn't out. At this rate we won't see it till summer.

I'll find it very funny if Vol. 4 doesn't get wrapped up till 2011. I want to see if Volume 4 can last an entire decade, from December 2001 to December 2011....

Think its possible?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
I'm intrigued by Jim Lawsons TMNT V4 #31 cover.
Wait, where are you seeing that?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #54
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Wait, where are you seeing that?
It's over on Jim's blog I think...
Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #55
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
I'm intrigued by Jim Lawsons TMNT V4 #31 cover. Donnie is in a Robin Hood like outfit and he seems to be back to normal size since he's standing on a tree stump. So within the unseen TMNT V4 #30, Don gets back to regular size? Or did Don make a large robotic body suit for himself?
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I believe the Turtle on the cover is Leo, possibly engaging in Battle Nexus shenanigans?

Also, a prediction: April's main problem with her origin is the fact that there were two other Aprils who disappeared as babies. We know that an entire dimension exists filled with drawings from the magic crystal (the Donatello one-shot). Leonardo is now in the Battle Nexus, where it has been explicitely stated that dopplegangers from other dimensions sometimes encounter each other. So do you think Leo might run into...?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #56
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Damn.... after something like that.. Peter just can't abandon the series.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #57
odupianist
Mad Scientist

The current Volume 4 has so many things it could explore and develop into really amazing stories. I just hope Mirage takes advantage of that.

Here's the cover for 31 from Lawson's blog: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LzXvrxnHL-...TMNT31_cvr.jpg

I don't think it's Don though. Maybe I'm just mistaking the frills on the shoulders for M's though.
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #58
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'd say its Leo in the Battle Nexus...but who knows.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #59
soccerstud652
Hench Mutant

Because there is so much time between issues, I have to re-read every volume 4 issue before a new release.
soccerstud652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:41 PM   #60
sorrenmj
Random Punk

Volume 4

Volume 4 is my favourite volume! I just wish it could be concluded. Does anyone know if it ever will be?
sorrenmj is offline   Reply With Quote