The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 05-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #2321
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I wish companies would realize that putting out something like an updated version of Playamtes old Usagi alongside whatever is coming from the Netflix show isn't necessarily competing with yourself. Since they are two very different looks and media they will likely appeal to different people. It could actually be beneficial as they would capture a larger group of consumers. I am curious to see what comes from the Netflix line, and who is making it. Gotta be something or they wouldn't care about this figure being made.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #2322
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
I wish companies would realize that putting out something like an updated version of Playamtes old Usagi alongside whatever is coming from the Netflix show isn't necessarily competing with yourself. Since they are two very different looks and media they will likely appeal to different people. It could actually be beneficial as they would capture a larger group of consumers. I am curious to see what comes from the Netflix line, and who is making it. Gotta be something or they wouldn't care about this figure being made.
It isn’t playmates that controls usagi. The rights belong to Stan Sakai. So whoever is negotiating figures and other Merchandise are prob holding on all stuff and looking at a master license sort of thing. Once that is figured out I am sure neca and super7 can the. Do whatever they had planned.

But so help me god if they gave playmates the master license rights to usagi I will scream. Literally anyone but playmates.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:38 PM   #2323
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
It isn’t playmates that controls usagi. The rights belong to Stan Sakai. So whoever is negotiating figures and other Merchandise are prob holding on all stuff and looking at a master license sort of thing. Once that is figured out I am sure neca and super7 can the. Do whatever they had planned.

But so help me god if they gave playmates the master license rights to usagi I will scream. Literally anyone but playmates.
I figure Stan Sakai probably already has something in the works. Isn't the show supposed to be out soon? Whoever that is probably doesn't want anything running alongside them. I do hope for the Usagi fans it is not Playmates.

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:23 PM   #2324
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I try not to get too entitled about toys... but this news makes me really sad.

I'd much prefer a Four Horsemen sculpted, homage to Playmate's 1989 Usagi than any toy based on Usagi's descendant and associates. (Still hope to be proven wrong by the new cartoon, though.)
Eventually we'll get one. Even if Super7 ends the Ultimate TMNT line, they can still go back to make Usagi.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:25 PM   #2325
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:

What's wrong with Playmates? I think with all the iterations with Usagi, Playmates made some solid releases. The one time they really screw the fans over was having the comic con exclusive with that being the only version of all the extra accessories.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #2326
mikey0
Foot Elite

A Look at TMNT Ultimates Wave 5 - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-guMdtrrVLk
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #2327
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
A Look at TMNT Ultimates Wave 5 - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-guMdtrrVLk
This was a nice look at these figures, but something really bothered me about how he was hyping the painted shield vs. the solid-colored piece from the original figure.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #2328
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
This was a nice look at these figures, but something really bothered me about how he was hyping the painted shield vs. the solid-colored piece from the original figure.
Well we have the original solid color weapons on the spru at least.

Edit. Ah the shield is not part of the spru weapons.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:59 AM   #2329
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Well we have the original solid color weapons on the spru at least.

Edit. Ah the shield is not part of the spru weapons.
Sorry. I should have elaborated. I don't mind not getting a solid colored shield. I just found it off-putting the way (to me) he came across as they were doing us a favor by including a painted shield - as if we shouldn't expect a $55 figure to be of higher quality than a $3.69 figure. I may be completely misreading the guy, of course - that's just how it came across to me.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #2330
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Sorry. I should have elaborated. I don't mind not getting a solid colored shield. I just found it off-putting the way (to me) he came across as they were doing us a favor by including a painted shield - as if we shouldn't expect a $55 figure to be of higher quality than a $3.69 figure. I may be completely misreading the guy, of course - that's just how it came across to me.
I didn't get that vibe from him. I think he just thought it was cool that the shield was going to be painted (though he was definitely not all that enthusiastic). I will say, the color choices themselves were not great. The red details along the outside make it look like a life preserver. And then one of the red sections is longer than the others and off-center. The green used is also very bright, and in general there's just really not much detail at all present in the paint.

He noted that Leatherhead's knees had a swivel, so Mikey0 might have been somewhat right after all.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #2331
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
I will say, the color choices themselves were not great. The red details along the outside make it look like a life preserver. And then one of the red sections is longer than the others and off-center. The green used is also very bright, and in general there's just really not much detail at all present in the paint.
Definitely agree on the shield not looking that great. I also wish the swords had the brown/gold hilts like standard Leo's curved blades. I realize the original accessories were all green, but the bright green just generally doesn't look that aesthetically pleasing here. I've decided not to pick up any of the Turtle variants, but I probably would have gotten this one if I could have swapped out Leo's curved blades for the straight blades that he has here.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:38 PM   #2332
mikey0
Foot Elite

Epic action scenes between Leo, the Sewer Samurai and Krang in his Mobile Life Support System: https://mobile.twitter.com/super7sto...69601949552641
Old 05-31-2021, 07:02 AM   #2333
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I also wish the swords had the brown/gold hilts like standard Leo's curved blades. I realize the original accessories were all green, but the bright green just generally doesn't look that aesthetically pleasing here. I've decided not to pick up any of the Turtle variants, but I probably would have gotten this one if I could have swapped out Leo's curved blades for the straight blades that he has here.
I feel the same way. Didn't Brian allude to the straight swords (specifically so many of them) being an effort to address the curved blades on the original release in a Pixel Dan or Fwoosh video?
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:35 PM   #2334
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Does it bug anyone else they did a wave 5 video but no wave 3? Or am I missing it somewhere?

Old 06-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #2335
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
Does it bug anyone else they did a wave 5 video but no wave 3? Or am I missing it somewhere?
You’re correct, there wasn’t a wave 3 walkthrough like there was for the other waves. The wave 3 update from Fwoosh Veebs was all we got.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:46 PM   #2336
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
What's wrong with Playmates? I think with all the iterations with Usagi, Playmates made some solid releases. The one time they really screw the fans over was having the comic con exclusive with that being the only version of all the extra accessories.
You kind of answered your own question.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:00 AM   #2337
SavageSloth
Thug

According to BBTS, wave 3 is expected to release 2nd quarter this year. Which is now. I can't see that happening as 2nd quarter is pretty much over. Has there been any other indications of release for wave 3?
SavageSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:02 AM   #2338
Chris
Mad Scientist

Just read over at The Fwoosh that Brian has said TMNT wave 3 has been on the water a while and should be hitting in the next few weeks.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:01 AM   #2339
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Just read over at The Fwoosh that Brian has said TMNT wave 3 has been on the water a while and should be hitting in the next few weeks.
last nights interview he said they hit the warehouse and will be shipping in the next week or so
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:18 PM   #2340
Dask
Mad Scientist

Wave 3 Reaction? I find it hard to believe that they will be shipping Wave 3 Ultimates when they haven't even revealed the April figure
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote