Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #61
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Lol, what the hell is dragon skin?
Just assuming its probably some sort of high end silicone rubber.

But, how much would the original suits from the movie go for? I mean, this is really cool, but damn, thats alot of money.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #62
CustomPropSculptorGuy
Foot Soldier

Dragon skin is an amazing silicone that captures great detail, has unmatching strength and stretch, but is hella expensive to use on a project tis big.
CustomPropSculptorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #63
CustomPropSculptorGuy
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain88 View Post
Just assuming its probably some sort of high end silicone rubber.

But, how much would the original suits from the movie go for? I mean, this is really cool, but damn, thats alot of money.
Easily over 15k each... Hell, I see Batman cowls is horrible condition go for over 10k. And you've gotta remember, these suits are being sculpted to fit the client specifically. Now, If I want to do a generic sized suit, I can prob. swing one for 2500, but its not going to fit right.

Do you know that the suits I am making in the MMPR replicas are 15k if you go to ask the studio that built them in the first place?? Try going to the JMCS and asking if they'll run you a Turtle suit in urethane rubber for anything less than 4500 - they'll laugh you off the phone.

Material are expensive - and dancing around carcinogens all day, not a fun thing to do - the caution prep, materials, shop space, lights; it all costs money. I do this kinda thing for a living, not as a hobby.

And, whats more important, people get their moneys' worth.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #64
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomPropSculptorGuy View Post
Easily over 15k each... Hell, I see Batman cowls is horrible condition go for over 10k. And you've gotta remember, these suits are being sculpted to fit the client specifically. Now, If I want to do a generic sized suit, I can prob. swing one for 2500, but its not going to fit right.

Do you know that the suits I am making in the MMPR replicas are 15k if you go to ask the studio that built them in the first place?? Try going to the JMCS and asking if they'll run you a Turtle suit in urethane rubber for anything less than 4500 - they'll laugh you off the phone.

Material are expensive - and dancing around carcinogens all day, not a fun thing to do - the caution prep, materials, shop space, lights; it all costs money. I do this kinda thing for a living, not as a hobby.

And, whats more important, people get their moneys' worth.
Dont get me wrong, I think what you are doing is amazing. But for almost $15,000 im sure you could get pretty darn close to owning an actual movie prop. Maybe not for that cheap, but still. Then again, It wouldnt be wearable. And not custom. But still, its original.

And I guess from the prices you said most of what you are charging is coming from the actual materials, which like you said, can be expensive. Heck, if I could afford to blow that much money on something like this I would. It would make one hell of a display piece. But, keep up the good work man.

Last edited by Samhain; 07-20-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #65
CustomPropSculptorGuy
Foot Soldier

Yea, and the point is, I try to give people what they want, for a reasonable price... I work with clients on payment plans, and if they can't reach that price, I work w.them as best I can to give them the best deal... And you're right, 90 percent of the cost is materials and replacements for parts that go bad.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #66
cartoonistaaron
Stone Warrior

Prices don't sound at all unreasonable to me. Hell I paid $4k for a "kind of" Ecto 1 a few years ago, then dumped another $3k into it. If you got the cash, and you want something unique (and pretty damn cool) like a movie-style Turtle suit, where else are you gonna get one?

Nice job by the way!
cartoonistaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #67
Dane E5R
Mad Scientist

For the materials, labor, etc. etc. etc., the price sounds pretty much beyond reasonable to me, and about what I expected.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #68
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior

Both those suits are awesome great work!!!!!!!!!!!!
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #69
Deck Star
Thug

great stuff man. this is all looking very professional, and the prices you quoted seem spot on to me. I visited the set of next mutation in Vancouver and met the Chiodos. they told me what those suits were worth and I think fans would be surprised at how much was spent, and that's just for some low budget TV show. you do excellent work and I forsee no problem for you to sell a bunch of these. the custom fitting is a great feature.
I suggest anyone planning on getting one to stretch for the dragonskin version, it is an amazing product and will make for a costume that will last forever.
Deck Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:42 AM   #70
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #71
CustomPropSculptorGuy
Foot Soldier

Ok, so the VGA-out on the PC died, and apparently someone dunked my camera card in water - so I can'y update with pics... So as soon as it's fixed, I'll be posting an ish ton
Old 07-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #72
cartoonistaaron
Stone Warrior

Hurry up dammit! I want to see how this thing is coming along!
cartoonistaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #73
CustomPropSculptorGuy
Foot Soldier

Haha - had some ish on the homefront to take care of - more pics soon
Old 08-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #74
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior

Anticipation is killing me, Pics now please
Bmaga123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #75
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior

Guess we are never going to see this it seems
Bmaga123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #76
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmaga123 View Post
Guess we are never going to see this it seems
Patience my student.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #77
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior

Think you would consider selling Raph heads? The price would probably be a little steep for me, but I was thinking about making my own a little while ago but haven't got the time right now; nor have I done any sculpting before (other than 3ds max or Zbrush as I have a background in 3d) I have watched some mask making videos tho and it intrigues me. I know someone else was selling heads for $250.

I have always wanted a movie quality TMNT suit however prices are not practical. A Raph head packsack for a shell and trench coat would work lol
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #78
CustomPropSculptorGuy
Foot Soldier

Oh you will see it happen - been rescaling some things here and there on the forms to make sure all looks the right size and what not. If you don't see me post here, by ALL MEANs, add my personal page www.Facebook.com/WojoForRadio and / or LIKE my company page at www.Facebook.com/613Concepts as I will prob. be updating there a lot more in the next few weeks with deadlines coming up

And to answer your question, yes, I will be doing the Ralph heads, as well as the other 3 as soon as this suit is done Price - I think I can do a solid foam head and keep the turtleness as display piece for 200 and then shipping.

Oh - don't know the particular rules on this, but here is a video a collector did for my page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjavaY8GtQY&feature=sub
Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #79
agliarept
Hench Mutant

hahah thats awesome, You already know on the RPF I am down for a head! I like your style man, you've got the goods man! can't wait to see this bad boy all done!
agliarept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #80
CustomPropSculptorGuy
Foot Soldier