The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 01-20-2024, 09:13 AM   #21
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROW View Post
I don't find it hard at all. Think of a police officer, a firefighter, a deployed soldier, a doctor on call, an ER nurse, or an EMT.
Exactly, man. Exactly.

I have some mild interest in this bubbling up - first time in decades for a Spider-Man book. Although the original "Ultimates" thesis was about getting back to the core of their character, now the Ultimates books are more of a dumping ground for "What If?" style content.

Not going to buy it monthly though - I already missed the order cut-off for the first issue and unless I stumble upon it easily I will probably just let it go.

If it doesn't jump the shark in a few months with agenda-content, maybe I'll order the trade eventually...
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 09:56 AM   #22
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

I like the analogy but an EMT or a police officer doesn’t have the same issues with secret identity. An EMT isn’t going to have an arch-nemesis or someone waiting at every opportunity for revenge. Not the same thing.

Still, there are ways to do it if Marvel and Hickman have the stones and a great angle. They’re going to have to justify why Peter would risk his family’s safety or show up with some actual consequences.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 01:51 AM   #25
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Ultimate Spider-Man#2 is due next week, here's a preview

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/02/16/ma...-spider-man-2/

Doesn't appear Peter has been truthful with his family after all and has kept his identity secret from them. Richard and May are looking over images of Peter in his protoform costume, Richard doesn't think he's real and it's all photoshop, and May is scared of how he looks! Mary Jane heads off to work, but notices a change in Peter and asks if he's been working out. We also learn Peter's powers have given him an increased appetite (10,000 calories eaten per day) and he's sleeping less
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:52 AM   #27
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I've read issue two. Overall enjoyable, and it's nice to see Peter make mistakes out in the field against Shocker while still managing to find redemption in his personal life by gaining an ally in his daughter.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:11 PM   #28
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

Solid issue. Good art throughout and a teeny bit of development. Nothing spectacular, but it’s building. Peter did come off a bit naive (stupid?) when duped twice by Shocker but maybe it’s meant to be intentional.

Edit: on second thought, maybe they were highlighting the fact that he doesn’t seem to have a spider-sense as of yet.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:42 AM   #29
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Ultimate Gwen Stacy makes her debut in the fourth issue, married to Harry Osborn

https://comicsheatingup.net/2024/03/...ferent-goblin/
Old 03-28-2024, 02:02 AM   #30
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Another fun issue, though it did feel a little lightweight, especially in comparison to all the other books out this week where a lot more stuff was going on in the amount of pages.

Spoiler:
Peter gets his first major win against Bullseye with the help of Green Goblin, and they both learn one another's identities. Harry actually uses his costume's tech to override Peter's outfit and unmasks him. The two decided to become friends and share a drink together. That leads to the double date next issue where Peter and MJ are introduced to Harry's wife Gwen
Old 03-28-2024, 08:06 PM   #31
neatoman
Emperor

So would you agree that the premise of this series (and New Ultimate in general) is more interesting than the old one?

The premise for Old Ultimate was mostly just to make a streamlined version of older stories that revised some of the outdated/silly concepts, but of course then those comics ended up growing in complexity anyway and, because they are now about 25 years old now, some of it's own concepts seem a bit dated.

The idea of Peter gaining his powers much later in life does seem like more of an idea worth exploring than just being a streamlined remake, considering it means seeing an alternate path for him instead.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 07:56 AM   #32
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So would you agree that the premise of this series (and New Ultimate in general) is more interesting than the old one?
It has greater potential for sure. The characters hopefully don't just stay like The Simpsons and just not budge in age or growth, the mistake of the original Ultimate Spidey was to never graduate Peter and his friends. Characters would grow and not age, but here we could see a lot of both if they're considerate enough to do so.
Old 04-13-2024, 03:55 AM   #33
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Jonathan Hickman and Marco Checchetto continue to spin the Spidey story of the decade in ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #7. The start of an all-new arc, the issue picks up after Green Goblin and Spider-Man’s intense battle with the Kingpin, where they learned they aren’t as ready to reshape the world as they hoped. Harry and Peter get to work, while Ben and Jonah work on “the truth”… And problems for their resistance arise when Tony Stark checks in on Pet
https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...-panther-x-men
Old 04-25-2024, 02:37 AM   #34
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Ultimate Spider-Man#4 was great...and the whole thing was just the Parkers and the Osborns sitting around having dinner, a testament to how interesting Hickman can make a superhero comic without much in the way of heroing. The reception to it is also quite telling in that more fans would rather just have all this domestic fluff than put up with any of the action-oriented stuff in Wells and Bronfman's 616 offering

Don't look up Rich Johnson's Bleeding Cool articles on this issue. The dude seems to really have it out for this version of Peter, and constantly spreads misinformation about the scenes he's reading into. It's pretty typical of comics journo sites to attack anything that threatens Marvel's 'preferred vision' of Spider-Man, and USM very much is that threat as it continues to outperform ASM in sales despite just one issue per month.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:31 AM   #35
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

Haven’t gotten to this issue yet because the change in art deflated me a bit but I certainly will get to it before Checchetto returns.

And yeah BleedingCool is very sketch.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:53 PM   #36
neatoman
Emperor

So how is the series selling so far? Comichron has become completely useless now, so I really don't know where to find reliable data.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 02:26 AM   #37
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So how is the series selling so far? Comichron has become completely useless now, so I really don't know where to find reliable data.
It's going to multiple printings with some issues, I imagine it's performing quite strongly, Marvel have enough confidence now to schedule it so it comes out the same week as the flagship 'Amazing Spider-Man' title