The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-15-2005, 07:48 PM   #61
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

I really only follow the toy lines. the new show doesnt do much for me but i still love the figures and the turtles as a concept. I'm 23, have the turtles tattooed on my arm and still collect religiously. I can't stop now...it's an addiction........help.....me....
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:02 PM   #62
Kazari
Foot Elite

LOL Why help you?
Old 01-15-2005, 09:36 PM   #63
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

eh, I don't need help, collecting is fun as hell...but um...the turtles HAVE consumed my life....my appartment...my bank account...my arm....they own everything!
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:38 PM   #64
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

Except for Carrot Top.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:42 PM   #65
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benvenuto
Except for Carrot Top.
That bastard ran up my phone bill.

I say listen to Carrot Top and collect! *rimshot*

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:51 PM   #66
Kazari
Foot Elite

I remember when Carrot Top had his own show on CN *shudders*
Old 01-16-2005, 07:14 AM   #67
Mandi-chan
Stone Warrior

I love the Ninja Turtles, but It's not the main focus of my life or anything...I'm not a very social person, true, but I do have other things on my mind other than my favorite shows.

Leonardo Mystic, I know how you feel, I a crush on movie Michelangelo when I was a kid. I still love Mikey now, but I realize he's not real (sadly) so I don't have a crush on him like I had when I was a kid.

Carrot Top had his own show on CN ?!
Mandi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:53 PM   #68
Kazari
Foot Elite

Yeah he did...it was scarey *laughs*
Old 01-16-2005, 01:11 PM   #69
Tigerfog
Hench Mutant

When I was young, I used to love those TMNT figures. I watched the old cartoon whenever I could and I loved the games. I would even get in teams with my brothers and friends and play ninja turtles together!
When I moved to France, I started to lose interest a little bit. If it wasn't for "Turtles in Time" on my SNES and the TMNT episodes in french that I watched every week, I think I wouldn'T be here in this forum now. Eventually, I noticed that the TMNT old cartoon were getting awfully childish and boring and just having my mother seeing me watch those shows would embarass me so I stopped.
From 7th grade to 11th grade, I never spoke a word about TMNT. I was all for Pokémon. But in 12th grade, I did some research and found out about the REAL TMNT in the old Mirage comics. I was immediately into it and I was even happier when I learnt that the new cartoon would be based off the Mirage story. When I saw how different Raph's personality was in the new cartoon, I became dedicated to TMNT. ^O^ One year and a half later, I started to draw TMNTs again.

Although I know we all have to enjoy life while we're young, I've always been a little less outgoing than my friends. I don't hang out in downtown or in Chinatown, I don't like to go play pool, I don't do raves and dance clubs. Instead, I like going to movies with friends or going over to their house. And of course, drawing's a big part of my life and it's certainly not dedicated just to TMNTs. I have to improve my manga style if I wanna start somewhere in life. So... right now my interest in TMNT is relatively high, but I hope the Shredder Raph episode will come soon or that the stories be more serious and dark or else my interest will start to decline...
Old 01-16-2005, 07:54 PM   #70
Kazari
Foot Elite

Awww, TF *huggles* Yeah some eps in the new season I could live without LOL
Old 01-17-2005, 06:04 AM   #71
MC
Thug

Jo Dawn, you're spot on! Real life is more important than TMNT. I like the turtles, I'm a pretty big fan, but it's not nearly as important as going out with your friends or spending time with your family. Anyway, the cartoon is only half an hour long a week, and the comic only comes out once a month, so it couldn't consume that much time anyway really.

I'm not as big a turtles fan now as I was a couple of years ago as I much preferred the Image series. I re-discovered the TMNT in 1999, and picked up back issues which I thought were fantastic. Volume 4 is interesting but it just doesn't compare, it isn't as character driven as Image. Although I'm aware that most people here didn't like Image...each to their own, I suppose!

I'm surprised that some people say they stick around for the people..... do people on this board consider the board some sort of surrogate social life? I find a lot of posts interesting but I would never consider anyone here my friend. Does anyone here consider other message board users their friends?
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:32 AM   #72
Kazari
Foot Elite

*huffs* Yes actually I do have best friends on here. I have met them in person too so I kind of disagree with you there, MC.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:00 AM   #73
MC
Thug

Gosh, I didn't think people joined this board to make friends.... I don't want to offend anybody but is it not somewhat unhealthy to have your best friends be on a messageboard?Do people here have friends in the real world as well or what? I'm not trying to be offensive, but this is the only board I post on a lot, so I am kind of intrigued.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:52 AM   #74
Kazari
Foot Elite

I have friends in real life too but it's a great way to MAKE new friends. One of my best friends I met off a forum and we have met in person. She's a terrific person and she is my friend.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #75
Leonardo Mystic
Stone Warrior

I have lots people here that I consider friends. Not only here, but other places too, even outside the TMNT universe. How could you not make friends with the other members? There are some very cool people here, and if you take the time to get to know them, you'll find they are interesting as well.

I have to ask this: Are you that dead set against online friends you detach yourself to establishing a connection to these people when you post here? They may be online, but they're real people too. Though you may not get to physically see them much or at all if you're in a financial fix, you can still talk to them just as you could in person. It's like using the telephone, for goodness sake. Are you against talking to friends on the telephone too, I wonder.

Leonardo Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:59 PM   #76
HorseTechie
Inactive Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinogrrl
You know I've never related the writing of fic or drawing of art or owning of toys with intensity of interest or lack of interest in a fandom. Probably because I never draw fanart or write fanfic or buy toys, but I think fandom covers all forms from the maniacal completist collecter to someone like me who likes to watch the show for fun and has a few knick knacks but isn't interested in toys or with being bothered with getting up to watch the new episodes. Hey, they come out on dvd eventually anyway.

So I don't think what Jo Dawn and HT described is necessarily a loss of interest as a shifting of priorities back toward RL (as it should be), or perhaps more accurately, passing through the "honeymoon" period and settling into 'mature' fandom. It doesn't mean we like it any less, just that it's only one facet of our lives.
Yeah.. I wasn't impliying that we had to be active as writers or artists or collectors to be devote fans... I was saying I find it harder for me now to keep up with all the discussions, fanfic to read, art to view, and the other online TMNT activities like I used too. So I just go into lurk mode before the frusteration drives me mad.

I'm still a fan, yes, because I will claim that I like the TMNT. But I am not obsessed as much as I had been. I just don't have the time or desire to commit to the obsession anymore. Like what JD was saying... I got this thing called real life that overrides everything else online. Same holds true for the 'other fandom' too.
HorseTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:50 PM   #77
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

Quote:
Does anyone here consider other message board users their friends?
Yep. I do, and I can name them for you if you like.

Quote:
Do people here have friends in the real world as well or what?
Yep. I do, and I am the only one among them that like the TMNT, so making friends here is not so ridiculous as you might think. Well, not for some people, anyway.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:57 PM   #78
zkarlette
Fashionably late

I totally agree with Krow I do consider some of the people here friends too and I do have friends In the real world but they arent interested in the TMNT or at least I dont think they are so talking with people that like them makes sense
Old 01-17-2005, 09:00 PM   #79
Weapon X
Turtle Power!

I am very close to alot of people on her.But I also have alot of friends outside my computer,but as many say they dont like the TMNT so thats why It's good to have some people here you get along with well.
Weapon X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:11 PM   #80
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Whoa, whoa, whoa... No one said that they were against making friends online. So don't twist words around. They said that they were surprised that people came online to make friends. Nothing wrong with that.

Did I make friends here? Yup. Some very good ones, actually.

Do I have friends in real life? Yep.

Am I saying that because I have real life friends that the online ones aren't as important? Not at all! And I never want to be accused of that, either. My friends are important to me, whether online, or in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseTechie
But I am not obsessed as much as I had been. I just don't have the time or desire to commit to the obsession anymore
Exactly. My desires... I suppose, well... Heh, are none of anyone's business. Hehe. But seriously. I... I dunno. It's just different.