The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-18-2024, 10:38 AM   #21
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Who even buys DVDs and Blu-rays from Target anyway? It’d be cheaper to buy them at Wal-Mart or even off Amazon.
I was thinking the same lines. I do check out the (paltry) physical media sections in the Electronics department when I go in looking for NECA Turtles stuff, and I only really consider buying it if it's really cheaper. But I'm a little more likely to buy disc-media from Target.com, so I guess that will eventually go away too.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:12 AM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Who even buys DVDs and Blu-rays from Target anyway? It’d be cheaper to buy them at Wal-Mart or even off Amazon.
It used to be sort of neat to go into a Best Buy and just roam down the aisles of Blu-rays, sometimes seeing movies or collections I'd never heard of or forgot all about. I'd often end up buying (and then, seeing) movies I never would have otherwise.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:29 AM   #23
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It used to be sort of neat to go into a Best Buy and just roam down the aisles of Blu-rays, sometimes seeing movies or collections I'd never heard of or forgot all about. I'd often end up buying (and then, seeing) movies I never would have otherwise.
Same.

(This post is at least 10 characters)

View my sketch work!
Old 04-18-2024, 01:23 PM   #24
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Not me, but our nearby Target has only been open for a few years max and never had much of a section to begin with. It's surprising they even bothered the one.

I've looked at it once in while going past, and I've seen Turtles at least, so that's nice, but nothing I was interested in or didn't already have. Got MM, the last DVD I've bought, from Walmart, but in part because I was just there on a weekly basis anyhow. Go to Target less because it's super busy (which is good though) and a pain to get in and out of there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROW View Post
Ah, laserdisc. The pizza oven of physical media.
ROFL! Best line I'm gonna read today.

I suppose people could try to make them trendy, like the movie version of vinyl albums, and actually make them popular for once. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Honestly everyone did this to themselves.
True... true.

Digital became the new thing and saved space, but people won't like it someday when they want to rewatch something they no longer can and it's just gone from existence.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 01:42 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Digital became the new thing and saved space, but people won't like it someday when they want to rewatch something they no longer can and it's just gone from existence.
In some cases, that's for the best (Willow: the TV series).
Old 04-18-2024, 01:57 PM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

10+ free characters for ya.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:00 PM   #27
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Simpsons gave up DVD, only to return to it a couple of years later.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:15 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Pretty soon everything will be digital. No disc drives on consoles, no blu-ray players, don't a lot of computers these days not have a disc tray either for that matter? Even a lot of comic books/novels sell better digitally on kindle that physical copies.

Pretty soon even clothing will be digital. We'll be able to download new clothes and just get them to overlay on our bodies.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:23 PM   #29
FlawedCoil82
Stone Warrior

This past Black Friday was the first in over a decade where I didn’t spend a dime at Walmart. The reason? They had no BF priced movies on sale. I was pissed! I tried 3 different Walmarts cause I thought it was maybe just fluke at my two local stores. But I used to spend hundreds on DVDs and TV box sets. Then I saw Target only had a very select few choices. So then my only hope was Meijer, who did have several shippers of DVDs and Blu-Rays, but even their selection didn’t compare with the large selection Walmart used to have. It was the main thing I looked forward to every Black Friday. So it looks like it will all come down to Meijer now.
FlawedCoil82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:26 PM   #30
FlawedCoil82
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Pretty soon everything will be digital. No disc drives on consoles, no blu-ray players, don't a lot of computers these days not have a disc tray either for that matter? Even a lot of comic books/novels sell better digitally on kindle that physical copies.

Pretty soon even clothing will be digital. We'll be able to download new clothes and just get them to overlay on our bodies.
And, of course, humanity will do absolutely nothing to try to fight back against it. They will excitedly do exactly as their puppet masters will them to.
FlawedCoil82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:34 PM   #31
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Im gonna be the one that waits for an actual source on this, because there's no way Target Corp just tells a random dude on Twitter this.
Target's response

Quote:
A Target spokesperson told IGN that the retail chain will be "transitioning the limited assortment of DVDs" they carry in retail stores. The official website will still offer "thousands of titles" for customers to purchase. Though the retail stores are pivoting to a more selective approach in what physical media it carry, the spokesperson told IGN that it would offer select DVDs in its stores when it a new release or "during key times throughout the year when they are more popular," such as Black Friday or during an anti-Prime day sale.

"Based on our guests' shopping patterns and broader industry trends, we're transitioning the limited assortment of DVDs we carry in our stores to Target.com, where guests will continue to find thousands of titles," the spokesperson said. "Moving forward, we'll offer select DVDs in stores when they are newly released or during key times throughout the year when they are more popular, like for gift giving during the holidays."
https://www.ign.com/articles/target-...res-and-online
Old 04-18-2024, 03:36 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

Sounds like they're still heading to phasing them out. It'll be a select few high profile movie releases for awhile and then it'll gradually stop
Old 04-18-2024, 05:06 PM   #33
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
This past Black Friday was the first in over a decade where I didn’t spend a dime at Walmart. The reason? They had no BF priced movies on sale. I was pissed! I tried 3 different Walmarts cause I thought it was maybe just fluke at my two local stores. But I used to spend hundreds on DVDs and TV box sets. Then I saw Target only had a very select few choices. So then my only hope was Meijer, who did have several shippers of DVDs and Blu-Rays, but even their selection didn’t compare with the large selection Walmart used to have. It was the main thing I looked forward to every Black Friday. So it looks like it will all come down to Meijer now.
I might have had the same experience, now that I think of it. Digital movies just don’t make for great gifts to people.

View my sketch work!
Old 04-18-2024, 06:41 PM   #34
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog McMutt View Post
I don't give a crap about picture quality so I am a dvd collector. Luckily dvds are pretty cheap these days. Especially used ones from ebay. You can find almost any used dvd disc for about 2 bucks at the moment. I just use some dvd binders to store them in and collect away. Now I own hundreds of movies. I am already prepared for this new age of physical media no longer being sold at major retail outlets. Bring it on.
I wish I didn't give a crap about picture quality. I have mostly DVD's and some Blu-ray's but not too many of them though. Never owned a 4k disc (even though I have a 4k TV ) but after seeing people praising them online I keep obsessing about getting a 4k player and getting some movies and shows on 4k see what the fuss is about. I sort of don't want to get too much into the 4k craze though just incase I become fussy with picture quality.
tmntpower1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:52 PM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntpower1988 View Post
I keep obsessing about getting a 4k player
Just get a PS5. There's your 4K player and you can also play games.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:28 PM   #36
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
So basically its just gonna be New releases, the Halloween/Christmas based movies and then whatever's not competing with Amazon.

Last Movie Watched: The Bridge Curse (2020).
Last TV Show Watched: Resident Evil (S1:E2).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:33 PM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think the surprising thing is while this felt inevitable, the phasing out of physical media is happening a LOT faster than expected. I honestly thought we'd be in the mid 2030's before this started becoming a thing, but it's probably going to happen by the end of this decade. I do think we'll still get 4k and blu-ray releases of the biggest movies, but you'll have to order them online and they'll start to become collectors item type stuff.

But average DVDs and blu-ray sets of TV shows and not popular movies are probably going to be a thing of the past. And this may also be the last gen for physical videogames, at least from Sony and Microsoft. I do think Nintendo will hold out longer than the other two.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:23 PM   #38
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah, having not bought a new computer in many years (still got my XP going, albeit on light duty now -- it'll be 20 next month!) it was weird to me at first that a lot of PCs don't default have an optical drive anymore, but I chose to include it in my custom choices for the new one I got a few months ago. I've got way too much, esp photos, etc saved on discs that I don't want to lose access too.

But they may as well just come out with computer/TV compatible external drive/player that can automatically download all the digitally purchased movies, etc people have, so they at least don't have to lose them.

Quote:
And some people like to complain about yoga pants... Just gonna be clothing patterns spray painted on like a big human printer.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:08 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's a complicated issue. MOSTLY it's the studios wanting this and pushing this... but we ourselves have made them even be able to do that at all, and also we've been getting more and more comfortable about it along the way.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:16 PM   #40
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Frogs just sitting there boiling away...