The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 12-07-2021, 06:42 AM   #2221
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I never liked the idea that the pairing was meant to be because they both had definitive loves Hawkgirl with Hawkman and John Stewart with Katma Tui.

Any suggestions on my comic filing questions?

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 12-07-2021 at 08:20 AM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #2222
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I never liked the idea that the pairing was meant to be because they both had definitive loves Hawkgirl with Hawkman and John Stewart with Katma Tui.
I prefer Shay with Carter in the comics, but the pairing with John was good for the show. I liked her big sister relationship with Wally too.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #2223
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Who even takes comic continuity serious anymore, we're in the 2020s now, these characters will be forever rebooted to be young in their sliding timeline, rinse and repeat every 8 years or so to keep things status quo.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #2224
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I prefer Shay with Carter in the comics, but the pairing with John was good for the show. I liked her big sister relationship with Wally too.
I also wished she put the helmet back on or did a costume redesign after breaking away from Thanagar. Seeing her in a white tank top after never taking off the helmet until the end of Wildcards doesn't feel right. I understand that it shows she chose Earth over her people but she needs a costume.

Also, do you see Hro Talak reincarnated as Carter Hall the Hawkgirl fanboy/archeologist?
Old 12-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #2225
ZariusTwo
Overlord

George Perez has been diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer and has six months to a year left to live

https://twitter.com/BittrScrptReadr/...62976838778880

Quote:
I also wished she put the helmet back on or did a costume redesign after breaking away from Thanagar. Seeing her in a white tank top after never taking off the helmet until the end of Wildcards doesn't feel right. I understand that it shows she chose Earth over her people but she needs a costume.
No way, she looks hot without the helmet/costume

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Who even takes comic continuity serious anymore.
Marvel have more of a problem with it than DC I feel, they don't 'reboot' but the sliding timescale makes characters routinely younger and a bit dumber, and they either tease a major stint of growth, only to walk back on it. DC don't really do that despite the recent reboots, their characters all keep moving in a forwards direction even if they stumble.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 12-07-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #2226
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
George Perez has been diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer and has six months to a year left to live

https://twitter.com/BittrScrptReadr/...62976838778880

No way, she looks hot without the helmet/costume

Marvel have more of a problem with it than DC I feel, they don't 'reboot' but the sliding timescale makes characters routinely younger and a bit dumber, and they either tease a major stint of growth, only to walk back on it. DC don't really do that despite the recent reboots, their characters all keep moving in a forwards direction even if they stumble.
George Prez is dying? I know he stopped working because of his health taking a hit, but not fatal. My grandfather was diagnosed with stage 4 of the same kind of cancer and succumbed despite treatments 14 months later, earlier this year. Maybe Prez can last longer since its a stage less severe maybe even overcome altogether. I admire his art even if he is below GarcĂ­a-Lopez, Adams, and Ross he is still elite.

Its not about being hot, but about fitting the character. Hawkgirl was always my least favorite character of them and I always defend her lack of use in the Satellite era.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #2227
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
George Prez is dying? I know he stopped working because of his health taking a hit, but not fatal. My grandfather was diagnosed with stage 4 of the same kind of cancer and succumbed despite treatments 14 months later, earlier this year.
My condolences friend, I hope it wasn't too painful for him

Quote:
Its not about being hot, but about fitting the character.
I think her unmasked/tank top look fit her character very well, at least for how it was developing her more in the show.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #2228
Leo656
The Franchise

That's awful about George Perez. One of the all-time greats for sure. What a shame.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #2229
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
I checked the link that you provided again looking to see if it had been updated. It had, but it presented this as Payne's first appearance. That is not true, but it is his first appearance with the ability to shape shift. Must be an editorial goof not knowing the Clayfaces apart from one another and knowledge of each's current status.
People do weird things on that Wiki. Maybe it was his first appearance in the current DC continuity. I don't agree with annotating it like that, but people process information strangely in this hobby.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:21 PM   #2230
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
My condolences friend, I hope it wasn't too painful for him

I think her unmasked/tank top look fit her character very well, at least for how it was developing her more in the show.
It was tough in that he like some elders do remarried for company and got 32 months with her. He was the last of my grandparents and I failed to marry before they all passed. He was 85.

I read the updated article. I suspect the health decline that Prez was experiencing was related to the cancer. My grandfather well into a sudden fever and had chills. Thought he had a bad case of the flu, but it was pancreatic cancer. It's sad that he is not fighting it. I guess it would be sooner even a stage less. He was perhaps the first artist who successfully transitioned into double duty scripting his own stories.

I wonder where his last show will be. I do have his autograph on a Whitman variant of DCCP#26 though I never met him myself.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #2231
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
People do weird things on that Wiki. Maybe it was his first appearance in the current DC continuity. I don't agree with annotating it like that, but people process information strangely in this hobby.
Yeah, like how Justice League of America#1(2011) is the first appearance of the characters. I pissed off a guy on the old dccomics.com message board by insisting that Batman's first appearance was in Detective Comics#27 NOT Justice League of America#1 (2011). Historically not continuity, duh.

So, can I assume due to Basil Karlo being depicted as reformed that instead of reviving Matt Hagen, Preston Payne was introduced for the first time since the 2016 soft-reboot and Tom Taylor was given permission to make him malleable like all the others in order to keep Karlo reformed and Hagen dead?
Old 12-08-2021, 07:00 AM   #2232
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

This goes to anyone though I know Leo and I talked about it earlier, what are the highlights of Wally West's volume of Flash? I was wondering if there was anything I should read that I might have missed. I don't want every issue, just the highlights. I have around 40 issues of the volume.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:08 PM   #2233
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Rushing the Titans in. Thoughts on the mini-series?
https://comic-watch.com/news/sneak-p...-on-sale-12-14
Old 12-14-2021, 08:04 PM   #2234
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I had to get a new long box separating my Batman related mini-series and ongoing sets since it was overloaded. Not sure exactly how to organize it breaking it down.

Dark Victory for example is 'D' but should it go behind Long Halloween and have the Long Halloween special behind Dark Victory for canonical reason? If not it would be Batman: Dark Detective, Batman: Dark Victory, Batman: The Detective. Same with Batman & The Monster Men and Batman & The Mad Monk. Ma goes before Mo, but Monster Men canonically comes first. There is also Dark Moon Rising banner that both fall under. If that is the case I would need to file them both between Dark Detective and Dark Victory.

Also, Super Team Family was a short-lived mostly reprint title from 1976-1978. I have the #11-#14 arc that ties in with the Justice League of America volume one title. Should I place it in front of my Justice League of America volume one set along with my copy of Mystery in Space#75 or in my Brave and the Bold long box?
Old 12-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #2235
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

After just a year and what will be 15 issues Bendis is off of Justice League with issue 74. I didn't like how he shoehorned everything he had done previously into Justice League as like an overall wrap up for things I did not follow. Hopefully with #75 continuity of the wider DC will not be an issue. Continuity has been the Justice League's greatest villain since the Satellite era.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:27 PM   #2236
Leo656
The Franchise

Because most people prefer continuity. They want the stories they read to actually matter. That shouldn't be shocking.

Comics aren't for people with short attention spans who can't retain memory or don't feel like "doing homework". That's what Marvel movies are for.

Bendis is pretty all-around crappy, though.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:48 PM   #2237
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Because most people prefer continuity. They want the stories they read to actually matter. That shouldn't be shocking.

Comics aren't for people with short attention spans who can't retain memory or don't feel like "doing homework". That's what Marvel movies are for.

Bendis is pretty all-around crappy, though.
I just didn't like him shoehorning everything he did into Justice League. It's like nothing he started was finished so DC let him wrap up all of his stuff in one book, none of which I read, and then he leaves. That is what I mean.

I am disappointed in the lack of reference blurbs or in-story explanation for those who don't read things like Synder assumed that readers would know who The Man Who Laughs is when Joker was mad at Lex for holding him prisoner. I didn't know because I couldn't get past the title 'Dark Knights : Metal'. 'A miniseries slapping Batman on it for sales and related to a music genre? Nah.'. That was my thoughts but at least it had a reference blurb.

I still have not bothered to read Metal or Death Metal. Not sure if I would care for it. I was busy reading Doomsday Clock and it failed to deliver. Dr. Manhattan feats Superman and thinks they will fight causing him to mess with reality but they don't fight. Then there is a nothing subplot about a Golden Age Hollywood actor murdered by his mother over his minority romantic preference and his bank account. The company-wide high stakes turned out to be nothing so I didn't backtrack after learning what it was. One nothing made me disinterested in another. At least it was released in a timely manner.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:09 AM   #2238
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I still have not bothered to read Metal or Death Metal. Not sure if I would care for it. I was busy reading Doomsday Clock and it failed to deliver. Dr. Manhattan feats Superman and thinks they will fight causing him to mess with reality but they don't fight
That was the point of Doomsday Clock. Geoff was quite clear in interviews there wasn't going to be a fight, just a discussion, it was a commentary on how fixated the company had become at that point with harsh and brutish violence in event comics and how things could be better resolved if people just sat down and talked.

What do you mean 'released in a timely manner?', Doomsday Clock was constantly delayed, so much so that it went through extensive rewrites so it was longer be in the way of the alternative direction the likes of Bendis, King and Didio had mapped out for the company. Everything in Rebirth was intended to serve Doomsday Clock, and instead Doomsday Clock ended up serving the beast DC became in 2018.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 12-20-2021 at 04:24 AM.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:13 AM   #2239
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
That was the point of Doomsday Clock. Geoff was quite clear in interviews there wasn't going to be a fight, just a discussion, it was a commentary on how fixated the company had become at that point with harsh and brutish violence in event comics and how things could be better resolved if people just sat down and talked.

What do you mean 'released in a timely manner?', Doomsday Clock was constantly delayed, so much so that it went through extensive rewrites so it was longer be in the way of the alternative direction the likes of Bendis, King and Didio had mapped out for the company. Everything in Rebirth was intended to serve Doomsday Clock, and instead Doomsday Clock ended up serving the beast DC became in 2018.
I meant that Death Metal was not Doomsday Clock. I said I could not get past the title to realize it was important but at least it was released in a timely matter.

What I didn't like about Bendis is apparently all the stuff he was tied to was allowed to be completed but in Justice League which I am reading and never touched the stuff he was doing. Once he wraps up HIS STUFF he leaves.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:16 PM   #2240
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Zatanna_Special_Vol_1_1

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Red_Tornado_Vol_1

I am wondering if either of these two were any good? I was looking at supplements to my classic Justice League of America run like Mystery in Space#75 and Super Team Family#11-14 that I got in recent weeks.

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman